MCU: Did Loki Tank Terminal Velocity?

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll MCU: Did Loki Tank Terminal Velocity? (31 votes)

Yes, obviously Loki tanked terminal velocity 55%
No, dummy, Loki did not tank terminal velocity 32%
Results 10%
Other (post your thoughts please?) 3%

The question is simple. Loki says he's been falling for 30 minutes straight. He would have logically achieved terminal velocity. Did he?

• 
BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps. On the one hand, it's logical that Loki would reach such speed after 30 minutes of falling, even if he was getting looped. On the other hand, it's unlikely that this was intended to be a feat at all, as the floor took no damage from Loki's fall.

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ourmanuel

Considering the fact that Loki took no damage, and neither did the floor in Strange’s house, I’m gonna go with no.

Fun fact: Thor was gonna die from falling from around cloud height in a metal container in Avengers 1

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darkdementor101
DarkDementor101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeoffury: a terminal velocity fall would not really damage a stone/marble floor unless Loki had some significantly higher mass than the average human, which I just don't see.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdementor101: Perhaps, but the fall also looked really slow. I am not sure if it was intended to be a feat.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gaoron

@ourmanuel said:

Considering the fact that Loki took no damage, and neither did the floor in Strange’s house, I’m gonna go with no.

Fun fact: Thor was gonna die from falling from around cloud height in a metal container in Avengers 1

Didn't Thor survive fall from space in a tie-in comic? He wouldn't die from that fall in Avengers.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America has fallen at near to terminal velocity, there's plenty of reason to believe Loki can do the same. Infact he likely did when he landed on Sakaar.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d489a021333f
deactivated-5d489a021333f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure he reached terminal velocity during the fall, but I'm guessing Strange slowed him down as to not damage the Sanctum.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

Captain America has fallen at near to terminal velocity, there's plenty of reason to believe Loki can do the same. Infact he likely did when he landed on Sakaar.

^

Eri_Joni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

^

^

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cocacolaman  Moderator  Online

He has the feats. Tanking bullets, Thor, Hulk, Cap, etc. All are good enough feats to suggest to me he could do this.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I get the feeling he was more magically suspended in a void that felt like falling, rather than actually falling at terminal velocity

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ourmanuel: Oh yeah and Thor did syrvive fall from space in Ragnarok aswell when he fell to Sakaar. There's plenty of actual on panel feats debunking Thor dying from that fall in Avengers.

SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

When?

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

I get the feeling he was more magically suspended in a void that felt like falling, rather than actually falling at terminal velocity

This is basically how I interrupted it as well.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

When?

Remember when Thor and Loki were sent flying out of the Bifrost during their fight with Hela in Ragnarok. We don't see Loki land but IIRC all of the portals were hundreds of feet in the air so he most likely had to take a terminal velocity fall.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taking terminal velocity is not even slightest bit impressive for someone of Loki's weight class.

SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:
@supremegeneration said:
@amcu said:

When?

Remember when Thor and Loki were sent flying out of the Bifrost during their fight with Hela in Ragnarok. We don't see Loki land but IIRC all of the portals were hundreds of feet in the air so he most likely had to take a terminal velocity fall.

I meant Cap lol

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supremegeneration:

Oh this is what I was referring to.

No Caption Provided

Maybe near to terminal velocity is a slight exaggeration but it seems to take him about 3-4 seconds before he lands from that fall. According to Wikipedia it takes about 3 seconds to reach 50% of terminal velocity. Link. There's also the fact that the Hellicarrier was moving upwards which would increase the strain on his body as he lands.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is only one correct answer: Maybe.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is that we don't know where Loki went and what forces were acting upon him during his fall. When you jump out of an airplane the gravitational pull of Earth causes you to accelerate towards it - if Loki was sent to a dimension where no forces, gravitational or otherwise, acted upon him then he would maintain a constant velocity, which would be nowhere near terminal velocity. The correct answer is that we simply can't know the answer to this.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdementor101:

Loki has greater structural integrity than a human. If Hulk slammed a human like he did Loki they would go splat but instead Loki's body made small craters in it. Thus we can conclude his body is tougher than concrete but not as dense. Happens all the time in comic books. DCEU Superman weighs 215 pounds yet he destroyed the top of a mountain by falling into it. Given his weight he should have made a small hole at best but his structural integrity made it so that the rock of the mountain gives but his body does not. Enabling him to plow through it.

Avatar image for darkdementor101
DarkDementor101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DarkDementor101

@TheGrat1: ehh I don't think you get what I'm saying! Carbon graphene alloys may potentially be some of the strongest materials we can make in terms of structural integrity, but are light enough to the point of being a near nuisance at best if someone came behind you and hit you on the head with it.

I do agree that Loki is more durable than a human, but that would not affect the magnitude of the kinetic impact he would make when he hits the floor, as his mass seems to be the same as that of a human.

Regardless of that, I agree with BOF when he says that it was probably not meant to be taken as a feat, and even if it did, RBT makes a solid good point about how this is not impressive for his weight class.

Also, just a small helpful tips if you don't mind: don't use physics from the DCEU to try and justify other franchises physics. While although the MCU's feats are consistently lower, their physics are more or less on point for the most part. DCEU physics are just so hilariously retarded it gives me a headache whenever I try to make any sense of it.

GeraltsOpinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we assume he hit sakar like Thor did as well?

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes very obviously and;

@rbt said:

Taking terminal velocity is not even slightest bit impressive for someone of Loki's weight class.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for captainsweatpan
CaptainSweatpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CaptainSweatpan

@ourmanuel: how do we know Thor was going to die? I guess it's a good thing he's evidently gotten more powerful since then and he was weakened in Avengers 1

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29 krisbishop  Moderator

@rbt said:

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainsweatpan:

They made a pretty big deal about how scared he was as he was falling in it. The thing was originally built to at least incapacitate hulk and Loki himself seemed to believe it would put down thor. Based on all this, I’m pretty sure the directors intended for that cage to kill him or leave him seriously injured.

And yes, I know he’s gotten more powerful since then. As for him being weakened there, meh it really didn’t seem that way but based on the comic I guess it’s possible.

CaptainSweatpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CaptainSweatpan

@ourmanuel: how did they make big deal about it?

People had been building things to incapacitate Hulk since his first movie, always failing

There's nothing that loki said to make you believe he thought it was going to kill him

And why is what happened in Avengers 1 a fun fact for Phase 3 movies in this particular instance?

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ourmanuel

@captainsweatpan: showing Thor trying his hardest to break out if it right before it crashes onto the ground and then showing us the damage it caused. That’s intent right there. If he was intended to tank that fall none of that would have been shown and he would simply have, you know, tanked it.

People as resourceful and knowledgeable as shield?

Loki says “they think us immortal, should we test that?” Right before he drops his brother in the cage meant to incap hulk. Considering how Loki wanted to be rid of Thor, why would he put him in there if Thor would easily survive the crash and come back right after him.

I never said it was specifically relevant to Phase 3.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 anthp2000  Moderator

People make feats out of nothing. This is literally a joke scene. Unless that ball knocking down Thor is also something to consider in VS debates.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq said:

The problem is that we don't know where Loki went and what forces were acting upon him during his fall. When you jump out of an airplane the gravitational pull of Earth causes you to accelerate towards it - if Loki was sent to a dimension where no forces, gravitational or otherwise, acted upon him then he would maintain a constant velocity, which would be nowhere near terminal velocity. The correct answer is that we simply can't know the answer to this.

I agree with this.

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000:

BoF is the one who brought his up on discord, what did you expect?

CaptainSweatpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ourmanuel: why wouldn't Thor try breaking out? How do we know it would have just injured him? Pretty presumptive to say he was going to die

All shield did was drop him from the sky, what's so resourceful there? They had built that for Hulk so they'd just drop him out of the sky when he became an issue, Fury said it was built to "hold" something much more powerful, not kill or severly injure, you're applying head canon

Loki saying that doesn't mean he thought he'd die, he just wanted to see what would happen

So your fun fact was completely irrelevant to this thread? Here's another fun fact then, Martians are apparently from Mars

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making a lot of assumptions about how Strange's portals work here.

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ourmanuel

@captainsweatpan:

People generally aren’t that bothered about impacts they can tank, to the point where they’re in a hurry to get out of those situations. Thor wasn’t intended to take that fall without getting at least K.Oed and I’m sure you know this(well based on your response I guess not)

You’re right about the hulk thing

You’re reaching/in denial with the Loki thing but that’s alright.

And yeah thor has better feats later on, I thought it’d be fun to bring up since Loki doesn’t really have many.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Supermanforever

If he reached that he would hit the floor with ridiculous amount of force when strange brought him back. That was probably some kind of trick strange used on him. Also he would probably be set on fire.

CaptainSweatpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers