• 121 results
Avatar image for darthvaderrocks
#101 Posted by darthvaderrocks (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely not. Quite some dumb idiotic arguments suggesting she could as well.

1. Gamora has already said she doesn't know if it's possible to kill Thanos. Her trying to kill him doesn't mean anything when she's flat out said she doesn't know if it's possible. What do you think makes these people heroes anyway?

2. The entire scene is an illusion and in this illusion she hacks him in the face with the sword and nothing happens. Can't take that scene seriously.

3. Iron Man's attack was a blunt force/energy attack. Not comparable.

4. Thanos was no-selling slashes from Strange's magic swords to the back, caught the sword in his hand and then broke it. Drax couldn't pierce him either. Bucky's gun's also couldn't pierce him.

5. The only that that's pierced him that's comparable to swords and whatnot is Stormbreaker and Thor literally calls it a "Thanos killing weapon". Couldn't be more obvious you need OP ass weapons to kill Thanos.

So no, she could not pierce him. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only thing that will kill Thanos in the MCU is all 6 Infinity Stones being used on him.

#102 Posted by WhyZoSerious (1722 posts) - - Show Bio

thanos was protecting himself very diligently from any sort of blades - remember, he stopped Loki, Iron Man and Okoye attempts to stab him. At the same time the illusion was plausible because Gamora knows him and she had to believe it. She did. thor also managed to almost kill him via stabbing. At the same time he tanked a lot of punches, blasts, smashes in the walls, smashes by objects, magic attacks, bullets - he tanked everything. But he never showed pierce durability.

So yes, she can.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#103 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15924 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she can

#104 Posted by Lan_Fan (13444 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering she was dumb enough to charge Thanos in the first place, I don't think she knew what she was doing.

#105 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: ^

She literally said if Thanos gets another Stone he will be too powerful to stop. She didn’t think she had a chance, she just wanted to try

X

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
#106 Edited by deactivated-5c830d4e319e6 (4952 posts) - - Show Bio

I highly doubt that.

#107 Edited by Lan_Fan (13444 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone: No, they can't do shit to Thanos whether he has stones or not. Even if the weapon could pierce Thanos, he could just one-punch her and she should be dead. If she didn't think she had a chance and she just wanted to try for some reason, then where does this assumption that Gamora knew her weapon could pierce Thanos come from?

#108 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@xzone: No, they can't do shit to Thanos whether he has stones or not. Even if the weapon could pierce Thanos, he could just one-shot her and she should be dead. If she didn't think she had a chance and she just wanted to try for some reason, then where does this assumption that Gamora knew her weapon could pierce Thanos come from?

You misunderstand, I’m agreeing with you

X

#109 Posted by Lan_Fan (13444 posts) - - Show Bio
#110 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio
#111 Posted by Rebake (3946 posts) - - Show Bio

thanos was protecting himself very diligently from any sort of blades - remember, he stopped Loki, Iron Man and Okoye attempts to stab him. At the same time the illusion was plausible because Gamora knows him and she had to believe it. She did. thor also managed to almost kill him via stabbing. At the same time he tanked a lot of punches, blasts, smashes in the walls, smashes by objects, magic attacks, bullets - he tanked everything. But he never showed pierce durability.

So yes, she can.

I mean, Thor avoids piercing too, but we know he can resist piercing to a degree. Thanos flinched from Strange's butterflies too, so Thanos is just the cautious type who doesn't want to find out if he can be cut, but probably knows almost no blunt force is enough. Looks are deceiving, like Yondu's arrow. There's no need to tank something you don't know about and then pay the price, when you can block or dodge. Stormbreaker caught Thanos off-guard, and as powerful as that was, it didn't go all the way through, and didn't kill Thanos even after Thor pushed it further in. As far as whether Gamora can stab Thanos, if she can, I doubt it would be as effective as Stormbreaker. The illusion basically had her one-shotting him (with a broken sword), so I very much doubt that it's a representation of what would really happen. I don't think Gamora ever had a chance to stab Thanos before, so she was just trying. If she really knew what she was doing and was confident she would win, then making Quill promise to kill her was unnecessary. They gambled and lost.

Thanos did tank bullets and Cap's shields iirc, so he has piercing resistance. Cap and Bucky tagging Thanos is a display of skill in a way. But Thanos wasn't going to risk getting stabbed by an Asgardian when Asgardians are known for strong handheld weapons, nor was he going to risk getting cut by Iron Man, who he heard stopped the Chitauri invasion. War Machine's firepower wouldn't knock out Hulk, yet Thanos blocked it basically because just because getting splashed with cold water won't kill you doesn't mean you want to get wet. Okoye's weapon is unknown and uniquw, so like with Loki, Thanos didn't want to find out (and he even stopped the weapon the same way).

#112 Posted by webinyoureye11 (5704 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it could. The only reason it “can’t” is cause it hasn’t yet. All the piercing weapons Thanos has tanked are inferior in piercing feats to gamoras blade

#113 Posted by Amendment50 (15429 posts) - - Show Bio

It's possible Gamora is just substantially stronger than we've realized in the past. After all in the comics she is very powerful.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#114 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@rebake said:
@whyzoserious said:

So yes, she can.

I mean, Thor avoids piercing too, but we know he can resist piercing to a degree. Thanos flinched from Strange's butterflies too, so Thanos is just the cautious type who doesn't want to find out if he can be cut, but probably knows almost no blunt force is enough. Looks are deceiving, like Yondu's arrow. There's no need to tank something you don't know about and then pay the price, when you can block or dodge. Stormbreaker caught Thanos off-guard, and as powerful as that was, it didn't go all the way through, and didn't kill Thanos even after Thor pushed it further in. As far as whether Gamora can stab Thanos, if she can, I doubt it would be as effective as Stormbreaker. The illusion basically had her one-shotting him (with a broken sword), so I very much doubt that it's a representation of what would really happen. I don't think Gamora ever had a chance to stab Thanos before, so she was just trying. If she really knew what she was doing and was confident she would win, then making Quill promise to kill her was unnecessary. They gambled and lost.

Thanos did tank bullets and Cap's shields iirc, so he has piercing resistance. Cap and Bucky tagging Thanos is a display of skill in a way. But Thanos wasn't going to risk getting stabbed by an Asgardian when Asgardians are known for strong handheld weapons, nor was he going to risk getting cut by Iron Man, who he heard stopped the Chitauri invasion. War Machine's firepower wouldn't knock out Hulk, yet Thanos blocked it basically because just because getting splashed with cold water won't kill you doesn't mean you want to get wet. Okoye's weapon is unknown and uniquw, so like with Loki, Thanos didn't want to find out (and he even stopped the weapon the same way).

Don't bring this one up...

#115 Posted by Rebake (3946 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespartanb345t: well, lowballers gonna low-ball. Thor is bulletproof, there, I said it. Not afraid of those who can't figure that out.

#116 Posted by jashro44 (52501 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it could. The only reason it “can’t” is cause it hasn’t yet. All the piercing weapons Thanos has tanked are inferior in piercing feats to gamoras blade

You think her blade is more powerful than iron man's energy blade? Most people seem to think bleeding edge iron man has strength in the same tier as hulk.

#117 Posted by webinyoureye11 (5704 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: iirc, Thanos never clearly tanked the energy blade (which makes it featless). It looked to me like he caught tony’s forearm or blocked with the gauntlet

#118 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16140 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, she certainly thought they would, but while she obviously knows him well, I don't know if we can assume that she would know his weaknesses, I doubt that she's even seen him be wounded before since it doesn't seem like he gets his hands dirty unless he has to.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
#119 Posted by Greysentinel365 (6206 posts) - - Show Bio

No. It cannot.

#120 Posted by Epicyon (866 posts) - - Show Bio

Nooooooooo

#121 Posted by Rebake (3946 posts) - - Show Bio

So yes, she can.

An Asgardian can tank a knife from Earth, but not an Asgardian blade. Thanos is also an alien who knows that not all weapons are equal. It makes sense he wouldn't try to tank to find out the hard way that a blade was special. And using Stormbreaker (which didn't even go all the way into Thanos until Thor pushed it in), is a very bad example as it's a special weapon that Thanos cannot snap in half with his bare hands (fake Thanos or not). It's a much more powerful weapon wielded by a much stronger character. Godslayer may scratch Thanos, but I doubt it could truly one-shot like with the illusion or do critical damage very quickly. What did the blade damage that Thanos could not barehanded? A pre-existing wound on the Abilisk? Groot's arms? Those things also aren't really on Thanos' level of durability at all.