• 121 results
#51 Edited by Amcu (16930 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000: Yeah that's fair. From a Comic Vine perspective I wouldn't assume it can pierce Thanos until it shows something more to indicate it can. But I'm not actually saying that I'm sure it wouldn't. It very well may be that powerful and they did make a point of showing us that Thanos gave it to Gamora as a child.

#52 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27891 posts) - - Show Bio
#53 Edited by jayc1324 (26431 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000 said:

@jayc1324: @amcu:

Of course you could make this argument, it's just not to be taken for granted. As in, my point still stands just not a 100%, which is why I made this thread.

As for Gamora not knowing wether or not it's going to pierce him, well for one she's not stupid and she knows Thanos better than anyone. Second, it's worth noting that her weapons were given to her by Thanos himself. Similar to the Glaive or Proxima Midnight's spear, which were also created by Thanos, they could have piercing output enough to cut clean through surfaces as tough as vibranium, like the Mad Titan.

I don't see a way to justify Thanos giving out weapons that can be used against him, especially when all of his minions have motivation to kill him. The validity of the illusion is one thing but this I really don't understand

#54 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27891 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324:

The Black Order are ridiculously loyal to him. Gamora would be too, she just turned out they way she did because of how she was treated.

Don't see any motivations for them to attempt to kill him, and they couldn't anyway. There's also the fact that Nebula once came close to killing Thanos as stated before. All his children wield weapons that pose a threat to individuals of the outer cosmos.

#55 Posted by Devilmenworks (781 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that golden knife he gave her as a child can possibly pierce his skin. She knows his strengths and weakness I am sure.

I am not sure how relevant this is, but Thanos did tell Gamora that Nebula nearly killed him prior to him capturing her, so if Nebula knows how to kill Thanos than I am sure Gamora knows as well.

#56 Posted by jayc1324 (26431 posts) - - Show Bio
#57 Posted by Gaoron (8965 posts) - - Show Bio

No, only Stormbreaker can.

#58 Posted by Alavanka (2590 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither Drax or Nebula ever pierced Thanos. Simply never happened.

Gamora might be able to, but it never actually happened.

#59 Posted by Rebake (4485 posts) - - Show Bio

Two points:

Iron Man's drop of blood attack was partly an energy attack.

Nebula knew Thanos very well too and was unable to scratch/damage him with her standard weapons. Perhaps the sword can scratch/mildly wound him, but if it could be used to kill him so quickly, he wouldn't likely be catching it and snapping it in half with one hand in reality. He probably warped reality to make it do more damage in the illusion than it would actually do. Gamora might have had the idea it would do damage, but the amount? How would she know unless she actually stabbed Thanos before?

#60 Posted by Rebake (4485 posts) - - Show Bio

@devilmenworks: it's left to the imagination how she got close to killing him, but I doubt it's with her standard weapons, which were shown to be ineffective against him as far as dealing lethal damage. She may have used a special weapon or ship, which makes a huge difference.

#61 Posted by Lan_Fan (14955 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably, and don't forget about Loki's knife.

#62 Posted by Rebake (4485 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: Loki can harm Thor with it, so of course Thanos doesn't want to risk being stabbed by it. But there's nothing concrete about how much damage would actually be done. We just have to guess. But dodging and stopping attacks doesn't necessarily mean damage would be done. It may mean the one on defense didn't want to risk taking damage or feeling discomfort.

#63 Posted by Lan_Fan (14955 posts) - - Show Bio

@rebake: Exactly why I said probably.

#64 Posted by bobandjim1260 (983 posts) - - Show Bio

The entire scene seemed like a callback to the comicbook fight between Thanos and Gamora. They had a sparing match, she hit Thanos in a spot that supposedly paralyzed him. Gamora knew he was just joking and said that she knew it wouldn't work on Thanos.

I personally don't. He broke it in his hands pretty easily.

Here are the swords capabilities.

The Godslayer is capable of cutting through even the most durable of metals, and uses a unique energy core located in the hilt to lower the weight of the blade, making it easier for the wielder to handle. The detachable knife can be used as a melee or throwing weapon

Thanos can be cut, but it takes something incredible like Stormbreaker, or an immense amount of punishment.

#65 Posted by Rebake (4485 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: I was addressing Loki's dagger, not Gamora's sword in that response.

#66 Posted by Lan_Fan (14955 posts) - - Show Bio

@rebake: They're literally the same case.

#67 Posted by Rebake (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
#68 Posted by AngelJax (11763 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000

Brings not one, but two different blades of choice to face Thanos in a short h2h exchange. Both end up piercing
Brings not one, but two different blades of choice to face Thanos in a short h2h exchange. Both end up piercing "Thanos"

I think it's clear enough that those weapons would've penetrated Thanos' skin had it not been an illusion. Gamora wouldn't face her father with weapons she knew wouldn't do anything. She's a trained assassin (a reputation she's infamous for around the cosmos) and skilled weapons expert. It would be incredibly stupid of her to engage Thanos in CQC is she wasn't absolutely sure she had a chance to kill him in the first place.

Also, the real flesh and blood Thanos stops Gamora from picking up the very same sword that ended up cutting the illusionary Thanos. I don't think Thanos would've grabbed his daughter and the one and only person he genuinely loved in the entire universe, by her neck if he was immune to her blade.

No Caption Provided
#69 Posted by BladeOfFury (3198 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#70 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27891 posts) - - Show Bio

@angeljax:

Solid input, I agree that Thanos' actions in that scene also support the idea that she would've penetrated his skin.

This is the very same blade he gave her when he met her himself and saw potential in her.

#71 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27891 posts) - - Show Bio

@angeljax:

Also, where did you find such quality clips?

#72 Posted by AngelJax (11763 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000: Digital release is out fam. Prepare for all of the HD Thor gifs.

#73 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27891 posts) - - Show Bio

@angeljax:

Great, looks like you jumped at the chance immediately since it came out today lol.

#74 Posted by AngelJax (11763 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000: Yep, lmao. Hopefully more will come up in a few hours, but now I gotta sleep.

#75 Posted by rogueshadow (29379 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't think it makes sense to assume she knows what would kill him, he seems to be the last of his race, rarely gets his hands dirty and is OP in general, there's no reason to imagine she's ever even seen him injured. I think she just took her chance and genuinely didn't know what would happen, which is why she was so shocked and distraught when he actually "died", I think part of her did hope it wouldn't kill him.

Thanos holding her doesn't really suggest anything to me, he also holds her like a shield against Quill's gun in a sort of standoff even though we see on Titan that that doesn't do anything to him and that he was in control of the situation the whole time anyway. The whole situation was just Thanos messing with their heads tbh, I think people are trying to glean too much from certain elements.

#76 Posted by bobandjim1260 (983 posts) - - Show Bio

If someone has a Twitter/Reddit account, we could ask the writers or Directors of IW in a Q&A. They've already released a couple answers to fan questions.

#77 Posted by Sy8000 (35492 posts) - - Show Bio

The implication is yes.

#78 Posted by webinyoureye11 (5761 posts) - - Show Bio

Doubt it.

If gamora knew what thanos is vulnerable to, why wouldn’t she make a point about telling the others? Drax used his daggers to no effect, and Thor stated he needed to forge a thanos killing weapon. So it seems like that implies you need a weapon specially made.

This would have been the perfect time to mention her sword can do the job

#79 Edited by Tenguswordsman (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Yes,

Maybe no,

As a Wise debater says:

"Only Russos know."

#80 Posted by Heatforce (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

If not it makes Gamora the dumbest-deadliest assassin in the galaxy. Look, if both Thor and Hulk can get pierced then I'm sure Gamora with her super strength and space-blades could do the same to Thanos.

#81 Posted by RL4 (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

She thought she could. Though I wouldn't consider illusory feats ever on par with real ones. That said, I doubt Gamora had EVER seen Thanos Injured. If she knew she could kill him in such a way, I think she'd have tried it long ago. She seemed more desperate than anything else.

#82 Posted by Laiks Stake (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

If she knew she could, she would play the nice daughter and stab him in the back.

#83 Posted by jashugan (6637 posts) - - Show Bio

It's implied that she could've stabbed him. Thanos also said his other daughter nearly killed him.

#84 Posted by Itachus17 (3504 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm probably yeah.

#85 Posted by IAmTheLaw (835 posts) - - Show Bio

Gamora didn't know if Thanos could even be killed or not, she literally said that at the end of Guardians 2.

#86 Edited by Shaladue (552 posts) - - Show Bio

An illusion made by Thanos to trick Gamora into thinking she had killed him just so Thanos could see if she would cry and people are questioning if it has any basis in actual reality.... Smarts must be rare nowadays. Lets see, Ironman couldn't cut him, neither could Nebula, nor Captain America...

Lmao imagine Hulk dying to Gamora

Avatar image for larcadedragneel
#87 Posted by LarcadeDragneel (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, but probably not.

#88 Posted by lubub55 (12943 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6a0dcc9dc3d
#89 Edited by deactivated-5b6a0dcc9dc3d (16 posts) - - Show Bio

If Iron Man can cut his cheek with a punch, Gamora can pierce him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f
#90 Edited by deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f (819 posts) - - Show Bio

@eldergodbang: Well Stark is using his vibranium nano suit armor so it definitely made an impact with Thanos's physiology but going through this thread i realized that some fans missed a point that Thanos could use the reality stone to make any kind of scenario which he really wants even though if it is a contradiction towards the reality itself and Thanos had already anticipated that Gamora and the the others were coming btw . ....I think the only thing that could have killed Thanos was the blade that was given to her by thanos that could pierce through Thanos's body but that blade must used to stab either in his heart or in his brain or in his neck otherwise she couldn't kill thanos ...............

#91 Edited by Amcu (16930 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000: It was recently revealed that her sword can kill Asgardian gods. Link

#92 Posted by Mister_Surreal (11101 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, with an extreme amount of force.

#93 Edited by Epicyon (866 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

@anthp2000: It was recently revealed that her sword can kill Asgardian gods. Link

Nice exaggeration. It said nothing besides she could kill a regular Asgardian who are still referred to as god's by lesser beings like earthlings. You are the same guy who thought that Valkyrie with her magic sword was as strong as Thor and Hulk though.

OT: Hell no. Gamora herself stated that she was unsure Thanos could even be killed. Thor an actual godly being with extensive knowledge knew what he was talking about when he said only an equal being with a godly weapon could kill Thanos.

Also are people really this foolish to be wondering this? This would completey undermine Thor's entire arc of forging Stormbreaker if it were true lmao. Gamora would've just given Thor her wack ass sword and they would've all went to Knowhere together to kill Thanos with some basic scrap that can be countered by inferior swords unless we are to believe Nebula also has this "godslayer" sword, you know the one that failed to even cut Thanos.

#94 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27891 posts) - - Show Bio
#95 Posted by DrPepperMan (6288 posts) - - Show Bio

Stormbreaker wasn't made for nothing.

#96 Posted by Mutant1230 (6648 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#97 Posted by Amcu (16930 posts) - - Show Bio
@epicyon said:
@amcu said:

Nice exaggeration. It said nothing besides she could kill a regular Asgardian who are still referred to as god's by lesser beings like earthlings. You are the same guy who thought that Valkyrie with her magic sword was as strong as Thor and Hulk though.

There isn't really any exaggeration in what I said. I never said that you have to assume that they were speaking of Thor, Hela or Odin.

And your completely misremembering what I said about Valkyrie. I have never said that she was as strong as Thor and Hulk. Never ever. Because she does not have feats to be on that level. What I said was that we don't know how strong she is, and that she may be as strong as Thor because you were assuming her strength level was low without any evidence to indicate that she is weak. I never said that she was actually that strong. I just questioned the logic of assuming she was weak with no evidence to support the claim.

#98 Posted by GermanX (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

Gamora had this thing called "Godslayer" sword right? Supposedly it can kill beings like Thor and Thanos.

#99 Edited by Epicyon (866 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:
@epicyon said:
@amcu said:

There isn't really any exaggeration in what I said. I never said that you have to assume that they were speaking of Thor, Hela or Odin.

And your completely misremembering what I said about Valkyrie. I have never said that she was as strong as Thor and Hulk. Never ever. Because she does not have feats to be on that level. What I said was that we don't know how strong she is, and that she may be as strong as Thor because you were assuming her strength level was low without any evidence to indicate that she is weak. I never said that she was actually that strong. I just questioned the logic of assuming she was weak with no evidence to support the claim.

You literally said asgardian gods. Not just regular ol' asgardians but asgardian gods.

No I remember it pretty clearly. I called you out on your folly, because who in their right mind even suggests that Valkyrie could be a match for Thor. Talking about we don't know her strength level? Is there any reason she wouldn't be as strong as any other asgardian who isn't of royalty? The issue I had with you is that you highball her for being able to knock down Hulk from behind as if it was supposed to be impressive even though any trained asgardian could accomplish that. It's even less so when Hulk was just playing around and was giggling as she stepped all over him further reinforcing that he had a crush on her. She is in no way shape or form even close to being as strong as Thor or Hulk so feats such as knocking out Loki or stabbing through the bifrost bridge (if it's as durable as in Thor 1) is straight up ragnajoke pis

#100 Edited by rem (2742 posts) - - Show Bio

She’s lived with him for years and I assume she knows his weaknesses. It doesn’t make sense for her to try something she knows won’t work. She didn’t act surprised when it pierced him.

so maybe?