• 121 results
#1 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26933 posts) - - Show Bio

There was this scene in Avengers: Infinity War where Gamora attacked Thanos with her sword and knife, and managed to pierce through his skin and even kill him. It was revealed immediately aftwerwards however that this was an illusion formed by the Reality Stone. Do you think that if Gamora had the chance she could pierce Thanos?

I can provide GIFs for anyone who doesn't recall the scene in question.

The way I see it, I think it was shown/implied strongly that she can. For one, Gamora would never approach Thanos knowing that she cannot harm him. Second, she did not get the chance to attempt a stab after the revelation of the illusion, as Thanos grabbed and incapacitated her before she could get her sword back from the ground, so there's not much to say there. More importantly, illusions are still supposed to be replicas of the real world - Thanos' physiology should not be much if at all different while the illusion remains active at the stone wielder's will.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65
#3 Posted by deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65 (4972 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't nebula or drax pierce him

ik people like to wank cap being unable to pierce him with the vibranium blades too

so im indecisive about this

#4 Posted by Batman242 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I'd say its a possibility and the points you raise make it quite feasible, but not having clear proof makes it hard to justify. It's not as though Thanos took a lot of sharp objects directly to his skin, anyway. I recall Drax trying to cut him and hitting his boot.

I do personally think that the argument being made for Stormbreaker being able to cut Thanos would mean Iron Man would've also been able to cut him since the metal from his armor withstood a blast from the Power stone, so if formed into a blade can also cut the blast in half, then cut Thanos himself.

#5 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26933 posts) - - Show Bio

@dirtytree333:

I think Drax pierced him a bit from behind, but didn't deal any considerable damage, Nebula clearly staggered him repeatedly, but she didn't have a piercing weapon - just her batons.

#6 Posted by RBT (27800 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#7 Posted by AngelJax (11654 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes she can

Gamora knew Thanos better than anyone and like many made one of her top goals to either kill him or end his reign of terror. She wouldn't approach him with a weapon that wouldn't harm him and the scene also didn't imply that the encounter wouldn't have ended like that if it was real.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#8 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15883 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering how well she knew him and actually attempted to stab him.

#9 Posted by TonyMartial (9324 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me guess, are the users who think Thanos is more durable than vibranium saying she can't?

Avatar image for supremegeneration
#10 Posted by SupremeGeneration (11724 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap couldn't with vibranium. That's all I got, lol.

#11 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes sense since I'm not sure it was an illusion rather then an actual changing of reality for a short time. I'm still not sure that Cap's shields are piercing though

#12 Posted by TonyMartial (9324 posts) - - Show Bio

They're not blades, they couldn't even cut into Outriders (who were pierced by Buckys combat knife, machine gun bullets and falcons handgun bullets).

#13 Posted by AngelJax (11654 posts) - - Show Bio

How much faith are you willing to put in earth metal being stronger and having more piercing power than metals from different cosmos?

Avatar image for supremegeneration
#14 Posted by SupremeGeneration (11724 posts) - - Show Bio

@angeljax said:
@supremegeneration said:

How much faith are you willing to put in earth metal being stronger and having more piercing power than metals from different cosmos?

MCU Vibranium also came from outer space in the form of a meteorite.

#15 Posted by rogueshadow (29264 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, she certainly thought they would, but while she obviously knows him well, I don't know if we can assume that she would know his weaknesses, I doubt that she's even seen him be wounded before since it doesn't seem like he gets his hands dirty unless he has to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c3aa070510fb
#16 Posted by deactivated-5c3aa070510fb (427 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll say no. I think thanos was showing her what she wanted to see. IIRC Drax was able to hurt thanos with his knives but he never stabbed into him. And I don't think its been said that Gamoras sword is made of a different material nor do I think she is really stronger than him.

#17 Edited by Amendment50 (15427 posts) - - Show Bio

I also thought it was implied but I think that can be chalked up to an inconsistency for dramatic effect.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb52f8f25413
#18 Posted by deactivated-5bb52f8f25413 (7026 posts) - - Show Bio

She thinks so. She knows Thanos better than anyone in the MCU & she probably knows that knives would pierce him (hence why she tried to stab him).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c3aa070510fb
#19 Posted by deactivated-5c3aa070510fb (427 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, she certainly thought they would, but while she obviously knows him well, I don't know if we can assume that she would know his weaknesses, I doubt that she's even seen him be wounded before since it doesn't seem like he gets his hands dirty unless he has to.

Plus its thanos. I doubt he ever really gets wounded when he has to get involved....

#20 Posted by GeraltsOpinion (396 posts) - - Show Bio

Doubt it. He was messing with her. He had crazy durability feats. He caught Dr strages comjured sword with his hand later.

#21 Posted by incursion2 (1931 posts) - - Show Bio

Dont think so

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#22 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (4015 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I'd say its a possibility and the points you raise make it quite feasible, but not having clear proof makes it hard to justify. It's not as though Thanos took a lot of sharp objects directly to his skin, anyway. I recall Drax trying to cut him and hitting his boot.

I do personally think that the argument being made for Stormbreaker being able to cut Thanos would mean Iron Man would've also been able to cut him since the metal from his armor withstood a blast from the Power Stone, so if formed into a blade can also cut the blast in half, then cut Thanos himself.

Never thought of that. Interesting.

#23 Posted by Subline (7826 posts) - - Show Bio

Unsure.

#24 Posted by JSDoctor (1632 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that she probably can, because the dagger has no other showings. We have no idea what it is or isn't able to do, so there's nothing to suggest that it can't pierce Thanos. Gamora wouldn't have approached him with it, or believed that she had killed him with it, if she wasn't capable of doing so. And because the dagger is otherwise featless, there's nothing to suggest that it piercing Thanos isn't feasible - for all we know, it's an excellent piercing weapon, like DCEU WW's sword, Corvus' Glaive or Stormbreaker (not quite on that tier, but the same idea in that it can pierce things very well.) She wouldn't be able to with her normal sword, as we saw, but with the dagger she should be able to pierce him. Note that this is a good feat for the dagger - it is not a bad feat for Thanos. Because the dagger has no other showings, we can't compare it to anything - it's not as if it failed to pierce Iron Man and then pierced Thanos. The dagger is impressive because it pierced Thanos - Thanos isn't weak because he was (in an illusion) pierced by a dagger with only one showing - which is of piercing him. The only thing we know about it's capabilities is that it can pierce Thanos, and he is not any weaker because of that.

#25 Edited by Amcu (16643 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure.

The logic that she knew him and wouldn't use a weapon that wouldn't work makes sense. But it's still an illusion. And I'm not sure it would actually work. The directors stated straight up that he has invincible skin. Which is clearly not true since Stormbreaker cut him. But I think the intention in that statement is that cutting Thanos is a really hard thing to do. And very few things in the universe can do it.

I mean Thor had an entire arc of the film going to a space forge with Rocket and Groot. And nearly dying from a star just so he could forge a weapon capable of killing Thanos. This makes it seem like it's not a very easy thing to do. And it would be kinda pointless to go on this journey if Gamora has a weapon right there capable of killing Thanos. So unless we get clarification for now I'm gonna say no. But I do think there is a decent chance that it could.

As far as those arguing that Cap's shields aren't piercing weapons I'd say they are.

No Caption Provided

A another user said something that stuck with me when discussing Steppenwolf's axe. It's really not great when we're debating that a bladed weapon that is clearly a bladed weapon is unable to cut. And Cap's shields did cut one of the Outriders.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
#26 Posted by deactivated-5b5405244e89c (8376 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless she has stormbreaker.

#27 Posted by MetalJimmor (6420 posts) - - Show Bio

Given a partially armored Tony was able to draw blood on Thanos I don't see any reason Gamora couldn't. I know Guardians of the Galaxy is really bad at showing how strong their characters are, but she's not peak human. She does have a measure of super strength. Enough to lift a gun that looked to be about as big as a car casually. To say nothing on the recoil from a weapon that size.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#28 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7331 posts) - - Show Bio

Ironman cut him... I dont think Loki would've tried to kill him if he knew he couldn't so Loki's blades could also most likely kill/cut him

#29 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5005 posts) - - Show Bio

@angeljax: vibrainium ain’t an earth metal

On topic, honestly, not sure. I wanna say no, but I feel like it’s valid to say the other side

#30 Posted by Black_Arrow (10258 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
#31 Posted by deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4 (18365 posts) - - Show Bio

Ironman cut him... I dont think Loki would've tried to kill him if he knew he couldn't so Loki's blades could also most likely kill/cut him

Iron Man's legs are blunt force not piercing--and him catching Loki's blade is called a quick reaction

#32 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7331 posts) - - Show Bio

@_kingoflatveria: it still cut him meaning his skin is not impervious and I was saying Loki would never have attempted to slit Thanos' neck if he knew he blades couldn't have done the job said nothing about reaction time

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
#33 Posted by deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4 (18365 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelanddcfan24:

it still cut him meaning his skin is not impervious

ok fair point

and I was saying Loki would never have attempted to slit Thanos' neck if he knew he blades couldn't have done the job said nothing about reaction time

Loki was desperate. He would've likely done it even if he knew those blades wouldn't work. He was about to kill Thor in front of his eyes

#34 Posted by TonyMartial (9324 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

And Cap's shields did cut one of the Outriders

When?

No Caption Provided

On the Infinity War DVD trailer if you listen to the sound it sounds more like a shield bash instead of a slash/stab. Its not even one shotting them.

Outriders are crazy durable though to tank this though. Everytime they encountered piercing like Buckys combat knife or bullets they were down, instantly.

#35 Posted by Amcu (16643 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial: When the Outriders where overwhelming everyone right before Thor arrived. Cap has his shield inside of one of them with its blood everywhere.

Loading Video...

#36 Posted by Worldofthunder (5055 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap's vibranium shield punches didn't cut outriders until he pushed the edge of the shield into one of them, but it's impressive for Thanos to tank them?

Yeah, miss me with that bullshit. These MCU fans be having way too many double standards. The double standards and extremely obvious bias is cancerous.

#37 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7331 posts) - - Show Bio

@_kingoflatveria: still I dont think Thanos was going to personally kill Loki until he tried to kill him and Loki wouldn't have put his own life on the line unless he knew there was a chance for success

Besides once he got the cube Thanos was pretty much done with them it didnt seem like he was going to personally kill them just blow up the ship and leave now if he knew they could survive in space... I dont know

#38 Edited by TonyMartial (9324 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu: I think I'll wait until the HD version is up online to look into it properly (its really hard to see) but one thing I'll say about this is that the Outrider was already weakened beforehand, he looks like one of the ones who went through the Wakanda shield, as we can see with the pinkish skin.

They're too many anti feats in piercing debate.

#39 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26933 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see why Cap's vibranium shields wouldn't deal piercing output when they're partly blades tho.

#40 Posted by Amcu (16643 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial: Fair enough.

Cap's vibranium shield punches didn't cut outriders until he pushed the edge of the shield into one of them, but it's impressive for Thanos to tank them?

Yeah, miss me with that bullshit. These MCU fans be having way too many double standards. The double standards and extremely obvious bias is cancerous.

I agree that Steppenwolf's axe can deal piercing damage.

#41 Posted by TonyMartial (9324 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

@tonymartial: Fair enough.

@worldofthunder said:

I agree that Steppenwolf's axe can deal piercing damage.

Loading Video...

It is an axe

#42 Edited by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio

We cant use illusions as real feats, just no. I dont buy the whole "Gamora wouldn't try it if they couldn't cut him' argument Gamora would try with any weapon she had. There is no way for her to know if they can cut him or not. Also, Thanos would have been fast enough to stop her judging by how he reacted to Loki, so it wasnt an illusion showing reality. Honestly the fact that is in an illusion is enough to disqualify it, but even the justification given doesnt make sense. No way

#43 Posted by Amcu (16643 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26933 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

We cant use illusions as real feats, just no. I dont buy the whole "Gamora wouldn't try it if they couldn't cut him' argument Gamora would try with any weapon she had. There is no way for her to know if they can cut him or not. Also, Thanos would have been fast enough to stop her judging by how he reacted to Loki, so it wasnt an illusion showing reality. Honestly the fact that is in an illusion is enough to disqualify it, but even the justification given doesnt make sense. No way

I have thought about that and it doesn't really debunk my point all that much - Thanos chose to not react fast enough in that illusion, doesn't mean his body's physiology would be different.

#45 Posted by Amcu (16643 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000: One could make a solid argument that even if he was too durable to be harmed by her knife he would let it damage him anyways. Because he may have wanted to see how she would react and if she still cared for him.

#46 Posted by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

I have thought about that and it doesn't really debunk my point all that much - Thanos chose to not react fast enough in that illusion, doesn't mean his body's physiology would be different.

It shows that it doesn't represent reality though, that's the point. Which in turn means that the knife may not pierce him, in reality. Because in reality Thanos would not let anyone walk up to him and shank him in the neck like that. He showed her what she wanted to see, now what would actually happen. I just don't think we can conclude that she can cut him from this illusion. I'd give it a maybe at best

Then there is also the question of how Gamora would know her knife can cut him. Only way that would happen is if she has done it before, and there's no evidence she has. If we are arguing based on the knowledge of the characters, I could argue that Thanos would not give Gamora a knife he knows she can kill him with

I agree with you about Cap's shields doing piercing damage though, they're pointy, there is no way they don't. Outriders taking them is a good feat for outriders.

#47 Posted by Mutant1230 (6487 posts) - - Show Bio

No... he literally was able to grab the blade and not hurt his hand, the Russos confirmed his skin was "indestructible" (not literally as per NLF, but the implication is still extremely powerful), Bucky's bullet didn't phase him, etc.

#48 Posted by Worldofthunder (5055 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu: I'm not refering to you. I didn't even see you posted in this thread, lol, I'm talking about the continuous comments made by the same people who believe in the brain-dead concept of split durability because that's the case with Diana (as if that's the case with everybody else)

#49 Posted by Amcu (16643 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26933 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: @amcu:

Of course you could make this argument, it's just not to be taken for granted. As in, my point still stands just not a 100%, which is why I made this thread.

As for Gamora not knowing wether or not it's going to pierce him, well for one she's not stupid and she knows Thanos better than anyone. Second, it's worth noting that her weapons were given to her by Thanos himself. Similar to the Glaive or Proxima Midnight's spear, which were also created by Thanos, they could have piercing output enough to cut clean through surfaces as tough as vibranium, like the Mad Titan.