#1 Posted by jayc1324 (26062 posts) - - Show Bio

T'Challa, in the comics at least, is a super genius, and I felt like that part of him is missing in the MCU so far. Does anyone else want to see more of his scientific side? Maybe he could make upgrades on his suit or design new weapons or something. He should be one of the smartest people in the world.

#2 Edited by MonsterStomp (36422 posts) - - Show Bio

Your expectations are unrealistic for a guy who has only appeared in the MCU once as a supporting character. Even Iron Man didn't do anything scientific in that film.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
#3 Posted by deactivated-5a89ca5697052 (8063 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait for his solo movie.

#4 Posted by mrmonster (12843 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I do hope we see his smart side in Black Panther. We didn't see anything in Civil War to indicate that he was or was not a genius, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#5 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (6489 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully it's not a bunch of philosophical inner monologues like in civil war

#6 Posted by Prezilla (674 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll show it when he has his own film.

#7 Posted by jashro44 (50837 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes and your right.

#8 Edited by The_Magister (12886 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see T'Challa be quite smart in the MCU, but not a genius on the level of Stark or Banner. I think 616 T'Challa is a good character, but he suffers from "being super good at every conceivable thing" syndrome (he's also enhanced on top of all that). I personally tend to gravitate towards characters who don't excel at every single discipline ever created...they make for more compelling, believable, and rounded characters in my opinion.

#9 Edited by JediXMan (42004 posts) - - Show Bio

He really didn't have a chance to show off his intellect. Hopefully he will in his solo movie.

#10 Posted by DSTREET45 (5140 posts) - - Show Bio

Your expectations are unrealistic for a guy who has only appeared in the MCU once as a supporting character. Even Iron Man didn't do anything scientific in that film.

#11 Posted by LDM (5354 posts) - - Show Bio

He has only appeared in one movie and that one isn't even his ...

#12 Posted by TwentyGoodMen (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol he has 10 minutes total screen time so far in the MCU

#13 Posted by imagein (851 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it'd be great if we saw more of his genius side, and that it's quite peculiar people who love comic books would like to see his intelligence nerfed in the MCU and seemingly don't like the character at all. Fascinating.

That said, I believe he'll be touted as intelligent, as he's going to become king of Wakanda. But, it has been mentioned in interviews that his little sister Shuri has the equivalent intellect of Tony Stark and is the one who invents Vibranium tech. So you'll get a Wakandan genius in this movie (probably three in Killmonger + Shuri + T'Challa).

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#14 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3759 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I do hope we see his smart side in Black Panther. We didn't see anything in Civil War to indicate that he was or was not a genius, so we'll just have to wait and see.

#15 Edited by rogueshadow (28819 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been said that Shuri is the super-genius in the family in the MCU and that she rivals Tony Stark. They haven't said anything about T'challa yet. I don't mind if Shuri's on T'challa's level, but she shouldn't be smarter.

#16 Posted by foxerdes (9467 posts) - - Show Bio

He was the only one out of all those childrens, to realize that Zemo was playing them.

#17 Posted by jashro44 (50837 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by rogueshadow (28819 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@rogueshadow: Oh god please no.

I can see it happening. T'challa will just be "smart" and Shuri will be an OP super-genius.

#19 Posted by Kingnemo (282 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like they gave his intelligence to Shuri. I hope that isn't the case

#20 Posted by BruceRogers (16723 posts) - - Show Bio

So his intellect is going to be given to Shuri instead?. O_o

Sigh, typical Marvel. Always trying to shill other characters at the cost of established ones.

#21 Posted by jashro44 (50837 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@rogueshadow: Oh god please no.

I can see it happening. T'challa will just be "smart" and Shuri will be an OP super-genius.

I don't mind if they want to make Shuri a super genius but there is no need to not make T'challa a genius in his own right.

#22 Edited by sinikettu (2629 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO T'challa should be intelligent and resourceful but not a 'genius'. I don't see him as that in the comics either, his intelligent and brighter than average but not a 'super genius' like Reeds or Stark.

#23 Posted by The_Magister (12886 posts) - - Show Bio

@imagein said:

I think it'd be great if we saw more of his genius side, and that it's quite peculiar people who love comic books would like to see his intelligence nerfed in the MCU and seemingly don't like the character at all. Fascinating.

That said, I believe he'll be touted as intelligent, as he's going to become king of Wakanda. But, it has been mentioned in interviews that his little sister Shuri has the equivalent intellect of Tony Stark and is the one who invents Vibranium tech. So you'll get a Wakandan genius in this movie (probably three in Killmonger + Shuri + T'Challa).

I enjoy the 616 incarnation of the character a lot, the Priest and Hickman runs are my favorites. I also really, really like the Secret Invasion stuff with Panther...I don't remember who wrote those, might've been Jason Aaron.

I just don't think it'd be the worst thing for T'Challa to not be an ultimate scientific and strategic mastermind who is gifted in virtually every known intellectual field of study. I'm more content with characters who have their own shortcomings when it comes to their skillsets...it's not as entertaining or as gripping if a character is a super-soldier on par with Cap, a super-genius on par with Stark and Banner, and the sovereign ruler of a nation with the world's most valuable resource. It's just too much in my opinion.

#24 Posted by jashro44 (50837 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinikettu: black panther has the title of the 8th smartest person on marvel earth....

Avatar image for deactivated-59d0376931207
#25 Posted by deactivated-59d0376931207 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope he's smarter than Stark/Pym/Banner

#26 Posted by King_Nomarch (2113 posts) - - Show Bio

Shuri's the genuis. She's responsible for almost all the new tech Wakanda has, his suit and the tech in it, Nakia's ring blades, and she's responsible for Killmonger's suit

#27 Posted by The_Magister (12886 posts) - - Show Bio

Shuri's the genuis. She's responsible for almost all the new tech Wakanda has, his suit and the tech in it, Nakia's ring blades, and she's responsible for Killmonger's suit

You've seen the film?

#28 Posted by rogueshadow (28819 posts) - - Show Bio

@momus said:

I really hope he's smarter than Stark/Pym/Banner

He should be their peer in my opinion, but making him legit smarter would fall into exactly what @the_magister is talking about. He should be fourth after them (based on characters currently in the MCU) in my opinion. Unless you count dead characters, in which case maybe fifth or sixth (after Howard Stark and perhaps Ivan Vaanko).

#29 Posted by King_Nomarch (2113 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_magister: Coogler confirmed that she's as smart as Tony after the teaser trailer was released and whenever Letitia, Ryan, or Feige talked about her character they always compared her to Tony and mention how she's responsible for all of Wakanda's most recent technological advances. Someone that seen the BP footage at sdcc mentioned in their YouTube video that there was a quick shot of her in a lab and it looked like she was working on the new suit. In a Entertainment Weekly video I believe, it sounded like Letitia said that Shuri makes the new suit to better protect T'Challa after T'Chaka's death and towards the end of it she heavily implies that Shuri may have created Killmonger's suit.

The only time T'Challa's intelligence has been mentioned is when Letitia says that Shuri THINKS that she's smarter than him, that's about it.

#30 Posted by deactivated-59d0376931207 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: I think Radclidde from AoS should be up there as well.

#31 Posted by DarthFallax (1637 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he isn't a supergenius in every area, but more of a strategic mastermind.

#32 Posted by jashro44 (50837 posts) - - Show Bio

The only time T'Challa's intelligence has been mentioned is when Letitia says that Shuri THINKS that she's smarter than him, that's about it.

I hope this is the case. I don't mind if they want to make Shuri smarter than T'challa.

#33 Edited by rogueshadow (28819 posts) - - Show Bio

@momus said:

I actually wrote an MCU intelligence tier and Radcliffe was at the top of the "genius" tier. He was 6th overall, just after Vaanko, who I put at the bottom of super-genius tier.

#34 Posted by jayc1324 (26062 posts) - - Show Bio

@momus said:

I actually wrote an MCU intelligence tier and Radcliffe was at the top of the "genius" tier. He was 6th overall, just after Vaanko, who I put at the bottom of super-genius tier.

Link? That'd be cool to check out. Aida should be there too, if she counts

#35 Posted by deactivated-59d0376931207 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: She wasn't even intelligent, most of her ideas were because of the Darkhold.

#36 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6231 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope he's shown as a peer to Stark and Banner, it would be removing an core part of the character if he wasn't

#37 Edited by rogueshadow (28819 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:
@rogueshadow said:
@momus said:

Oh, I didn't put it on the internet, it's just on my laptop somewhere. I was only counting humans in it.

#38 Posted by jayc1324 (26062 posts) - - Show Bio

@momus said:

@jayc1324: She wasn't even intelligent, most of her ideas were because of the Darkhold.

The Darkhold enhanced your intelligence so I feel like it could still count.

@jayc1324 said:
@rogueshadow said:
@momus said:

Oh, I didn't put it on the internet, it's just on my laptop somewhere. I was only counting humans in it.

Ah that makes sense, Aida was basically just a really good computer. Still might be cool to make a thread with your list at some point though, just an idea.

#39 Posted by KHAOSeater (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope he's just as smart as Tony, Banner and Co. To me, it's an integral part of his character. He always seemed to be a thinker first, warrior second. He doesn't have to invent everything himself, and I think it'd be cool if T'challas and Shuri's relationship is like Bruce And Lucius. However, I'm not okay with T'challa being average and Shuri being a super genius. Especially since in the comics she was considerably more warrior than thinker and came across as a hot head, where as it was like pulling teeth trying to get a rise out of T'challa.

#40 Posted by Gracetrack (4538 posts) - - Show Bio

Still waiting to see Batman's genius side in the movies...

Avatar image for _kingoflatveria
#41 Posted by _KingofLatveria (17997 posts) - - Show Bio

Still waiting to see Batman's genius side in the movies...

^^^

Dude was an idiot lol. He could've laced the bullets in the machine guns with kryptonite and kill Supes easily.

#42 Posted by Chris-Sama (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

He literally had like 20 min screen time

#43 Posted by CyanIsHere (369 posts) - - Show Bio

The solo movie made him look like he had average intelligence and I hated that.

#45 Posted by KingOfWakanda (2127 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even necessarily care if he's portrayed as a great scientist like Banner and Tony. I'm ok with Shuri filling that role. T'Challa is still smart, he did make his Civil War suit after all, Shuri's was just better.

I would however like to see him portrayed as a great strategist or someone who thinks a few steps ahead.