Maseo Yamashiro (Arrow) Respect Thread

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

This thread is a compilation of all of Maseo Yamashiro's (appearing in Arrow season 3) feats and accolades that I could find.

As a (extremely) quick backstory, Maseo is a former Argus agent and League of Assassins member (until his death), husband of Tatsu Yamashiro, father of Akio Yamashiro, and former friend/partner of Oliver Queen during his days in Hong Kong. As Maseo, he was portrayed as a loving husband and father, as well as a loyal friend to Oliver both during their time working together in Hong Kong and during his time with the League of Assassins.

After his son's death, Maseo joined the League of Assassins and was renamed "Sarab" (Arabic for phantom) by Ra's Al Ghul, and he forsook most of his former personality. As Sarab, he became a ruthless assassin loyal to the will of Ra's, albeit still retaining some measure of compassion/loyalty to Oliver, especially evidenced by his hesitation before shooting at Felicity after killing the mayor, and saving the lives of Oliver's friends. Maseo was killed during a fight with his wife Tatsu, though as he died, he thanked her for releasing him from his prison (the grief and anguish over not being able to save his son from dying).

Feats

The feats will be shown in as close to chronological order as possible.

No Caption Provided

Maseo stomps Hong Kong Oliver Queen in H2H combat. Note that this is the same Oliver who was able to survive for an extended period of time in H2H combat against a Mirakuru-enhanced Slade Wilson. Yet Maseo is able to drop him to the ground in only a few seconds.

No Caption Provided

Easily breaks this guy's hand (one of China White's bodyguards/henchmen).

No Caption Provided

Displays excellent situational/combat awareness flipping up the metal slab, as well as good reaction time to block the bullets. Proceeds to send this guy stumbling several feet backwards with a kick.

No Caption Provided

Another good showing of situational awareness, Maseo recognizes these dock workers are undercover and a threat, and proceeds to drop them before any harm is done to his family (and Oliver).

No Caption Provided

Solid strength feat: Maseo KO's this guy by slamming the truck door into him.

No Caption Provided

Knocks Oliver out with a hit. Maseo is one a select few characters to KO Oliver with pure physical force (the others being Mirakuru Slade and Malcolm Merlyn).

No Caption Provided

Maseo easily dispatches of three league of assassin members. Demonstrates skill and accuracy utilizing throwing knives as well as easily stabbing through the league armor of the third.

No Caption Provided

Displays legitimate arrow catching reflexes.

Shows himself to be a near equal to season 3 Oliver Queen in melee combat, only "losing" due to Oliver's archery gear. Watching the fight closely, the two are extremely evenly matched: Oliver lands the first hit to Maseo's face (0:16), followed by Maseo landing two body/leg shots on Oliver (0:24), before Oliver knocks Maseo to the ground and pulls an arrow on him (0:26). Ra's then intervenes and the fight ends.

No Caption Provided

Maseo manages to shoot all 3 assassins before Malcolm can even engage them in combat. Now 1 of 2 things happens in this scene, and I'm really not sure which it is. Either: Maseo is fast enough on the draw to shoot all 3 of them within a split second of each other, OR Maseo is capable of firing three arrows simultaneously. Regardless of whichever option is true, this is an exceptional feat of archery.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Maseo is shown to be the slight superior to Tatsu in sword-fighting (no small feat considering a 5 yrs ago Tatsu was capable of fighting China White and season 4 Tatsu is a perfect equal to Nyssa Al Ghul).

Additional Feat: In the Al Sah-Him episode fight between the League assassins and Team Arrow, Maseo showed himself to be a match for Nyssa as well. Due to how the fight was filmed, it is almost impossible to make coherent GIFs showing the brief fight between Nyssa and Maseo.

Conclusion

Despite his lack of showings compared to other major characters in the show, Maseo has been established as an extremely skilled and formidable combatant, capable of matching season 3 pre-Ra's training Oliver. He is a master martial artist, archer, and swordsman, and has mastered other weaponry including guns and throwing knives. He has also been portrayed as possessing peak human physicals (evidenced by easily defeating Hong Kong Oliver, matching season 3 Oliver etc) and top tier reflexes, evidenced by his ability to catch arrows.

Hopefully you all find this thread useful and enlightening when evaluating Maseo as a combatant, who I feel is a bit underrated on the battles forum. Enjoy! If I missed any feats, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol Maseo needed this.

darthbane77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By darthbane77

Good thread, Maseo was an awesome character.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Cool Maseo is awesome

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Lol Maseo needed this.

QFT

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Lol Maseo needed this.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Stahlflamme

Please, the season 3 writers had forgotten everything about Slade. Oliver was seen getting beaten the shit out of by some random chinese mobster before Katana saved him. And knocking someone out in one hit? The show simply didn't show him beat for two minutes on a tied-up Olliver. He couldn't even knock Detective Lance out in one-hit. Plus League Assassins in season 3 and onward are pathetic fodder. He dispatches three? Diggle tops that. He is better than the random villain of the week, but not very impressive at the end of the day.

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: Yet he was still capable of beating Tatsu and matching Oliver, which is pretty impressive on it's own

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By AllStarSuperman
Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything from Season 3 should not be made into a respect thread. The inconsistency of that show is greater than that of Hillary Clinton's.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nfactor1995: You did great. Like I said, Maseo needed this. You forgot one great feat though when Maseo captured Lance, he seemingly teleported in from thin air and was standing 20 feet away, then Lance went to draw his pistol and Maseo closed the distance between them first.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nickzambuto
brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By brucerogers

@nickzambuto: Lol I was wondering where you had been and how come you are not seen on Arrow threads anymore ;)

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Ok so I just looked up that scene. Unfortunately, you can actually see that Maseo was standing right behind the staircase behind Captain Lance and simply walked out from behind there. Closing the distance is good, but admittedly, Maseo started running at Lance before Lance even had his gun fully drawn and wasn't turned around.

You can take a look at the video yourself to see if you agree or disagree. Do you still think I should include that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1eMFKN8oY

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Ok so I just looked up that scene. Unfortunately, you can actually see that Maseo was standing right behind the staircase behind Captain Lance and simply walked out from behind there. Closing the distance is good, but admittedly, Maseo started running at Lance before Lance even had his gun fully drawn and wasn't turned around.

You can take a look at the video yourself to see if you agree or disagree. Do you still think I should include that?

Oh you're right, good eyes. Damn, something tells me that's just lazy filming and Maseo was in fact meant to appear as if he came from nowhere (why else would they do the dramatic camera turn) but the feat can't be used fairly given what you brought up.

The speed feat is most important however. Yes, that's the whole feat, Maseo cleared that entire distance before Lance could simply properly drawn his gun. That's incredible speed.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nfactor1995 said:

Oh you're right, good eyes. Damn, something tells me that's just lazy filming and Maseo was in fact meant to appear as if he came from nowhere (why else would they do the dramatic camera turn) but the feat can't be used fairly given what you brought up.

The speed feat is most important however. Yes, that's the whole feat, Maseo cleared that entire distance before Lance could simply properly drawn his gun. That's incredible speed.

Didn't you say in your CAV with Fisk vs Ward that was impossible to do anyways?

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: I said that Fisk wouldn't be able to do it but luckily he had armor to rely on. Clearly Maseo must be a lot faster than Wilson Fisk.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stahlflamme

@nickzambuto: You said Ward couldn't draw his weapon in time against Fisk.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nickzambuto
nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nfactor1995

@nickzambuto: Yeah that was probably the intent haha. That filming though...

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers