Marvel's powerhouse big 3?

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By NewWorldOrder

I think it's pretty much been established that Marvel's big two characters are Thor and Hulk, but who is the third? Do you think there is one? If there is, who might it be? Could it be Hyperion? Personally, I would actually find it quite fitting if Hyperion did have the role. Keep in mind I'm speaking of characters who mostly reside on earth.

No Caption Provided

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@newworldorder: I haven't read much of recent Marvel. So I'm not familiar with him.

Always thought Sentry was the third.

FearSinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Surfer

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mrmonster

Sentry. If not him, then either Silver Surfer or Dr. Strange.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NewWorldOrder

@emperorthanos said:

@newworldorder: I haven't read much of recent Marvel. So I'm not familiar with him.

Always thought Sentry was the third.

I thought it could be him, but seeing how he died and only came back as Death Seed Sentry, I don't know what Marvel will do with him. Last time we saw any version of Sentry was in Contests Of Champions, but I don't know if it was the one native to the 616 universe. I think seeing him flying off into space means he's out there somewhere and we'll see him again.

@fearsinestro said:

Silver Surfer

Marvel earth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Are we talking different versions of characters such as Rune King Thor, World Breaker Hulk or just the character in General?

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought the third will be either Gladiator or Sentry.

Also, this reminds of DC's big three:

• MMH (Hulk)
  • Thor (Wonder Woman)
  • Hyperion, Sentry, or Gladiator (Superman)
NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought about Sentry, but my post above goes over why I don't know about him. Surfer isn't an earth based hero, however, Doctor Strange can very well fit that role.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Don't think so. Skaar, Red Hulk, Hercules, Unworthy Thor, Wonder Man, Gladiator and way more characters have way better feats than Hyperion, if you are not counting outliers. And none of these guys I mentioned above are on the same level as the Savage/Indestructible Hulk and Worthy Thor.

Maybe Marvel's 3th big powerhouse is the Sentry but I personally think he falls short compared to Hulk and Thor. Silver Surfer is definitely too powerful to be here. Maybe Beta Ray Bill but that would be kinda stupid as Thor is already here. I really can't remember anyone but in my opinion, Hyperion is low end high tier, a whole tier below Hulk and Thor.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearSinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fearsinestro said:

@newworldorder: I'm confused?

I was speaking of characters who reside on earth, not space.

Surfer has also resided on Earth and came there to do heroics many times lol. Defenders anybody?

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange does not fit the role at all IMO. He is tiers above them and is totally different type of character power level wise.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger:

Don't think so. Skaar, Red Hulk, Hercules, Unworthy Thor, Wonder Man, Gladiator and way more characters have way better feats than Hyperion, if you are not counting outliers. And none of these guys I mentioned above are on the same level as the Savage/Indestructible Hulk and Worthy Thor.

In terms of power, I would say it should be Doctor Strange, but in terms of character and implied status, I think it would be Hyperion. Sentry is kind awol for a couple of years, or else it would without a doubt been him.

Maybe Marvel's 3th big powerhouse is the Sentry but I personally think he falls short compared to Hulk and Thor. Silver Surfer is definitely too powerful to be here. Maybe Beta Ray Bill but that would be kinda stupid as Thor is already here. I really can't remember anyone but in my opinion, Hyperion is low end high tier, a whole tier below Hulk and Thor.

Earth heroes are what I was aiming for, so probably not Silver Surfer or Beta Ray Bill.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder said:
@fearsinestro said:

@newworldorder: I'm confused?

I was speaking of characters who reside on earth, not space.

Surfer has also resided on Earth and came there to do heroics many times lol. Defenders anybody?

So has pretty much every cosmic hero. He doesn't fight nearly as much on earth as he does space, which is what I'm getting at.

FearSinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FearSinestro

@newworldorder: Well not every cosmic hero has extensively interacted with the people on Earth as much as Surfer has who has befriended numerous people on the Earth from the F4, Thor, Strange Hulk etc. And some aren't really what you could consider heroes in the sense. I don't see why that should disclude him from this list lol?

You could say the same thing for Thor considering he fights in magical realms and space all the time.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger:

In terms of power, I would say it should be Doctor Strange, but in terms of character and implied status, I think it would be Hyperion. Sentry is kind awol for a couple of years, or else it would without a doubt been him.

Well he can be. But he is not actually on their tier power level wise. So if that is fine, I guess he can be the third one.

Earth heroes are what I was aiming for, so probably not Silver Surfer or Beta Ray Bill.

I agree.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: Tony Stark no doubt. Even though Hyperion is way stronger and more powerful than Tony, IM will still remain the most important avenger. He is a bigger and more established character who will take out threats which hhyperion won't be able to, and using plut devices, will beat Hyperion in case they ever encounter each other. He will be more prominently featured in Avengers issues, leading the charge more often, squaring off against more heroes as well as villains and so on.

• MMH (Hulk)
  • Thor (Wonder Woman)

Gladiator is not an earth based hero

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thedailybagel  Moderator

I don't think there is one. Under Hickman it was hyperion, but overall and in general Hulk and thor were pretty much always considered as the powerhouses of the avengers.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• MMH (Hulk)
  • Thor (Wonder Woman)

Gladiator is not an earth based hero

Forgot it was Earth-based characters. So, Sentry.

AgentSandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ummmmm....

No Caption Provided

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyperion has 2 planetary strength feats, one planet durability feat, has overpowered Thor, traded blows with the hulk for half an issue, took on the avengers alone, one-shotted killed Namor , casually lifted entire city of atlantis up with all its inhibitants and threw aside casually, all in span of his 4 years or so while being a second-level character. That's better feats than Rulk (non loeb), Wonderman etc.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster said:

I thought about Sentry, but my post above goes over why I don't know about him. Surfer isn't an earth based hero, however, Doctor Strange can very well fit that role.

Fair point.

Another thought I had was Captain Marvel. I mean, it's a longshot, but I can see a case made for her.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: Well not every cosmic hero has extensively interacted with the people on Earth as much as Surfer has who has befriended numerous people on the Earth from the F4, Thor, Strange Hulk etc. And some aren't really what you could consider heroes in the sense. I don't see why that should disclude him from this list lol?

You could say the same thing for Thor considering he fights in magical realms and space all the time.

Surfer primarily fights in space while Thor primarily fights on earth. It doesn't matter how many times they've come to earth. That's like saying Thanos is an earth based villain because he's come to attack earth a couple of times when most of the times he's doing things throughout space

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KrleAvenger

@apex_pretador said:

Hyperion has 2 planetary strength feats,

Which are extreme outliers.

one planet durability feat,

He was hurt by way less.

has overpowered Thor,

When?

traded blows with the hulk for half an issue,

He tanked only two punches from from and Hulk did not even fee a single strike. Red Hulk's showing is more impressive.

took on the avengers alone,

When and what roster you are talking about?

one-shotted killed Namor ,

Who is vulnerable to temperatures not as nearly as high as Hyperion's heat vision.

casually lifted entire city of atlantis up with all its inhibitants and threw aside casually,

Lifting strength feat. Nothing too impressive.

all in span of his 4 years or so while being a second-level character. That's better feats than Rulk (non loeb), Wonderman etc.

Not really.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd agree with Hyperion he fits the role quite well and is also a badass like the other two

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador:

Tony Stark no doubt. Even though Hyperion is way stronger and more powerful than Tony, IM will still remain the most important avenger. He is a bigger and more established character who will take out threats which hhyperion won't be able to, and using plut devices, will beat Hyperion in case they ever encounter each other. He will be more prominently featured in Avengers issues, leading the charge more often, squaring off against more heroes as well as villains and so on.

I don't think Tony Stark is in the runnings, to be honest. He would be in the big 3 in terms of status along with Thor and Cap, but not in terms of power which is more of what I was thinking.

@krleavenger said:

Hyperion has 2 planetary strength feats, one planet durability feat, has overpowered Thor, traded blows with the hulk for half an issue, took on the avengers alone, one-shotted killed Namor , casually lifted entire city of atlantis up with all its inhibitants and threw aside casually, all in span of his 4 years or so while being a second-level character. That's better feats than Rulk (non loeb), Wonderman etc.

When has Hyperion overpowered Thor?

FearSinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: That would hold weight if Surfer again didn't have team ups with the Defenders and other heroes. Thor doesn't primarility fight on Earth he has rogues outside the earth in Asgard, interacting with Celestials etc.

You're using a false equivalence with Thanos who is a threat to the MU as a whole.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: When Hype was possessed, Thor had him in chokehold while blitzing him, Hyperion broke free and threw him away.

Although it is possible that this happened due to the fact that Thor could only use one hand (because Mjolnir)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyperion or Sentry.

Not sure.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Spambot

Ms/Capt Marvel would be the third, especially with the push she is getting recently.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KrleAvenger

If Ms. Marvel is a powerhouse than Iron-man is a match for Silver Surfer.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder said:
@mrmonster said:

Fair point.

Another thought I had was Captain Marvel. I mean, it's a longshot, but I can see a case made for her.

To be honest, the way Marvel is pushing her, she got get an upgrade that puts her on a level comparable to them, but at current power levels, not really.

@newworldorder: That would hold weight if Surfer again didn't have team ups with the Defenders and other heroes. Thor doesn't primarility fight on Earth he has rogues outside the earth in Asgard, interacting with Celestials etc.

You're using a false equivalence with Thanos who is a threat to the MU as a whole.

Thor has devoted his entire life to protecting the earth. Yes, he has broken free and fought in other realms and the spaceways, but most of the time he's with the Avengers on earth taking on earth threats. Surfer has interacted with earth heroes and such, but again, he spends most of his time fighting space threats. If we go by your logic, almost everyone can qualify as an earth hero. The Thanos reference is good because it shows just because you interact with earth, doesn't make you an earth hero/villain.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: When Hype was possessed, Thor had him in chokehold while blitzing him, Hyperion broke free and threw him away.

Although it is possible that this happened due to the fact that Thor could only use one hand (because Mjolnir)

Thor was holding back a lot. Most of the time he was asking him to stop and was trying to restrain him and bring him to his senses. The only time he tried to harm Hyperion was with the lightning bolt and even then you could tell he wasn't trying.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador said:

Thor was holding back a lot. Most of the time he was asking him to stop and was trying to restrain him and bring him to his senses. The only time he tried to harm Hyperion was with the lightning bolt and even then you could tell he wasn't trying.

Well, he knows Hyperion is strong. Why would he let his restraint be broken so easily?

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder said:
@apex_pretador said:

Well, he knows Hyperion is strong. Why would he let his restraint be broken so easily?

I don't think he was expecting for Hyperion to lash out and attack him in such a way.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By APEX_pretador

@newworldorder: Possible, but his planet-stopping feat should still put him above Thor in terms of pure physical/grappling strength. Thor would still beat him with mjolnir though due to overall power.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: Yeah, Marvel is definitely trying to make Captain Marvel their Wonder Woman, which could work.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: Yeah, Marvel is definitely trying to make Captain Marvel their Wonder Woman, which could work.

Yeah, it could very well work, though, she's losing fans after Civil War 2.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I don't think there really is one. Obviously there are characters powerful enough but none that are really treated in the same way as Thor and Hulk. I would have to guess Dr. Strange is closest.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care for characters like blue marvel, Hyperion, and sentry. If you want crazy overpowered one punch mans go to D.C.

Sure Thor and Hulk are unbeatable but when a writer is really trying to make an interesting story play out and not just fan service these two play out in a team setting storyline or battle because they can't do it all.

So if you have to have one more in the powerhouse group don't pick a superman clone

I would have to say Captain Marvel she has enough depth depth to where when she does cut loose it looks interesting on panel like Thor and hulk

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think there is a third character that has been treated the same way Hulk and Thor have.

Maybe Hercules or Strange?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Lvenger

Yeah, I don't think there really is one. Obviously there are characters powerful enough but none that are really treated in the same way as Thor and Hulk. I would have to guess Dr. Strange is closest.

Basically this.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

If Sentry's ongoing takes off(I am confident it will because his first two minis sold VERY well) and Marvel invests a lot in the character then I can see him permanently being their third Earth based powerhouse. He was close to being that back in the New/Mighty Avengers days.

Edit:

People should also take into account fans.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Spambot

If we are going back over the last 30+ years then I'd say its Surfer. He has filled that role in a lot of different big stories/events. So many more than Hyperion and Sentry combined while also having his own ongoings.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

If we are going back over the last 30+ years then I'd say its Surfer. He has filled that role in a lot of different big stories/events. So many more than Hyperion and Sentry combined while also having his own ongoings.

Keep in mind I'm speaking of characters who mostly reside on earth.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

Wonderman is another possibility.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:
@king_stranglehold_da_first said:
@spambot said:

Wonderman is another possibility.

Good point.