marvel vs dc at the box office

Avatar image for captain_cascader
#1 Posted by Captain Cascader (1424 posts) - - Show Bio

http://servewithchips.blogspot.com/2007/01/marvel-vs-dc-superhero-box-office.html

Some interesting graphs comparing the success of marvel movies vs. dc movies.

Here's a better question though. What comic movie do you think is under-rated? I'm a big fan of Unbreakable, but that's not exactly a branded movie, so I'll have to go with Constantine, which I think they did a decent job with. Really liked Tilda Swinton as Gabriel.

#2 Posted by NiteFly (1535 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the Crow. Constantine and Sin City turned out really good. I also really enjoyed Mystery Men.

"I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines. "

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
#3 Posted by BuckshotWasHere (19547 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved everything about Spawn.

#4 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

I so wish Unbreakable could've been the trilogy it was supposed to be. Such a great movie. But then I love Bruce Willis. Might have to see his new movie even though Justin Timberlake is in it.

Weird, I never thought JT's name would be mentioned in these forums...

#5 Posted by Captain Cascader (1424 posts) - - Show Bio

NiteFly says:

"I love the Crow. Constantine and Sin City turned out really good. I also really enjoyed Mystery Men.

"I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines. ""

Yeah Mystery Men!!! Great spoof. I loved Wes Studi as The Sphinx.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
#6 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3733 posts) - - Show Bio

It's sad that DC doesn't seem to want to use anyone other than Batman and Superman. A decent Green Lantern or Flash film would do wonders for them I think. Then again, DC have far more television shows than Marvel.

Unbreakable was a great film, I don't know about a trilogy though. Remember the Matrix. I liked Batman Begins, some of it was filmed 2 miles from my house, I could see the cars they used when I drove past, but no Batmobile sightings. My only regret was not applying to be an extra. I think my favourite superhero film will always be Superman though. You wouldn't have any of the others without it, which is fitting as you wouldn't have superhero comics without Superman. That's the film that got me into comics as a kid.

#7 Posted by Captain Cascader (1424 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's mostly that there are less bankable stars in the DCU. Sure we love them all, but do most people even know who Green Lantern is?

Wonder Woman sure, and that's why that one is gonna get made, but not GL.

Avatar image for fark_weaselcramp
#8 Posted by Fark Weaselcramp (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Cascader says:

"I think it's mostly that there are less bankable stars in the DCU. Sure we love them all, but do most people even know who Green Lantern is?"

I think more people would know who Green Lantern is than people would know Blade, Daredevil or X-Man (before their movies). All because of the Super Friends cartoons. DC characters have been on TV for decades now... and a lot of those kids that watched those are prime targets now (and older).

#9 Posted by Gypsy (15 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"I so wish Unbreakable could've been the trilogy it was supposed to be. Such a great movie.

Unbreakable was supposed to be a trilogy? VERY sad that it wasn't made into one!

Avatar image for fark_weaselcramp
#10 Posted by Fark Weaselcramp (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Gypsy says:

Unbreakable was supposed to be a trilogy? VERY sad that it wasn't made into one!"

Yeah, what's sad is that M. Night decided against doing them when he found out that not EVERYONE liked Unbreakable. He was so distraught from the bad reviews he trashed the idea.

#11 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3733 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Cascader says:

"I think it's mostly that there are less bankable stars in the DCU. Sure we love them all, but do most people even know who Green Lantern is? Wonder Woman sure, and that's why that one is gonna get made, but not GL."

Spider-man was an unknown at one point. Sure they represent a risk, but I bet a well known director or actor (possibly in a supporting role) could generate interest amoung the uninitiated. Plus alot of DC heroes have been on Justice League Unlimited, so I don't think are completely untested. Like Fark said, I think alot of people had no idea who Blade was (I only knew a little) and they got three movies out of him.

#12 Posted by Brunbb (46 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Batman and Robin. It was fun.

#13 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (748 posts) - - Show Bio

Unbreakable is my favorite movie. Bar none.

#14 Posted by Ms. Invisible (3331 posts) - - Show Bio

NiteFly says:

"... and Sin City turned out really good."

I liked Sin City a lot too, and a second one is coming out.

#15 Posted by Retrocide (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Blade was a huge success, but it's comic was so niche that it was almost a new IP, they didn't have a lot to contend to within their geek community. I really don't think Spider-Man has been out of the public eye at the level the GL is for a long time; Spidey had a TV show in the late 60's.

Sure, you gotta take a gamble. But they gotta be able to sell GL more to the (real?) people, than to us geeks.

That being said, they know we'll watch a Green Lantern movie, even if it gets two thumbs downs.

#16 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3733 posts) - - Show Bio

Brunbb says:

"I liked Batman and Robin. It was fun."

Your sick. Why would you even say that? There are things you just don't joke about ;)

Never under estimate the geek community, a film could be successful if it appeals to them. Although you might as well look for Bigfoot, it would be easier. I think it would probably help in some respects to pick someone like Blade who is THAT unknown.

Marketing is key too. Don't market it as a comic book film, but as a sci-fi/adventure (if we stick with GL). I heard there are plans for a GL and a Flash movie. The latter being directed by the guy who wrote Blade Trinity and starring Ryan Reynolds. But I remember Superman was supposed to star Nick Cage at one point.

#17 Posted by Moomin123 (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel are releasing a lot more films than DC. But I think DC films are better in stryline, special effects and stuff. 
I'm not saying Marvel films are crap.