Marvel Legacy Thor Finale Theory (Spoilers)

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just a quick theory I've been thinking about for a while. If you haven't watched the movie Thor: Ragnarok, I think you shouldn't proceed.

The Idea

With that being said, we see in Thor: Ragnarok that Thor's hammer is destroyed by Hela and is actually not restored like most thought would happen.

No Caption Provided

We actually get told that Thor is essentially everything the hammer was, the power was dormant in him the entire time. This was a cool idea, given Thor fan's have always been trying to sell to others that the hammer doesn't make him, he makes the hammer.

No Caption Provided

The Set-Up

Well, the theory is, what if Marvel chooses to go the same route with the comics? We've already seen in The MightyThor #701 that the Ultimate Hammer War Thor was wielding was completely crushed after it met it's demise against Mangog.

Marvel has been hyping that a Thor will die, we already know Volstagg seemingly just died, but I don't think it was him. They pretty much told us shown us enough evidence that Jane will die soon as well. Could this mean the destruction of Mjolnir from the 616 universe as well? Mangog showed he had enough power to destroy one from another universe, and despite many not thinking they equal each other in power, it shouldn't matter, Mangog is powerful enough to do so. We may see another hammer fall along with it's "Thor". Who knows, Jane could possibly go out taking Mangog out by releasing the sentient storm against him, but at the cost of losing her life and Mjolnir. It could bring back memories to Thor #388 when he released to much power on the head of the Celestial Exitar after unleashing a Godblast through Mjolnir amplified by the belt of strength. The energies released from Exitar essentially melted it like butter.

No Caption Provided

I do think Marvel has dropped some evidence that goes further than what I've presented thus far. If you guys have forgotten, Thor has pretty much displayed exactly what I'm stating, as well as what was shown in Thor: Ragnarok. Remember what happened in the Unworthy Thor #5 when Thor finally came to the realisation that the hammer doesn't make him, he makes the hammer and that he was always the one that was mighty? Yeah, it looks a lot similar to what occurred in the movie. He starts harnessing his lightning in a way he hasn't done before. He ground pounds the earth with enough lightning and force to send the Black Order and Hela off-world.

Thor has manipulated lightning without Mjolnir in the past, but never has it been on such a scale or with such a story behind it before (being unworthy and learning he is the power).

Verdict:

I have a strong feeling that Marvel is going to end this Thor series by destroying Mjolnir and leaving Thor hammer-less just like his movie counterpart. We're going to get stories where Thor shows his true power and is shown to be just as powerful as he was with his hammer if not more powerful than it. This could be a way to heal the wounds Thor fans have had these last few years and also show that Thor isn't powerful, mighty, heroic, or anything because of the hammer, but because of himself.

Also here is some food for thought, remember in the movie Odin says that when Thor unleashes his true power he would become even more powerful than himself? That could actually hold here as well. You see, the entire idea of Odin having a child with Gaea the mother goddess oppose to Frigga is because he wanted an extremely powerful child, one who be more powerful than himself, so could this point be the time Thor breaks pass the barriers within and we see him reach the level of power his father always planned for? Only time will tell.

If you wanted to hear it explained better and from the words of the mother goddess herself, here is the scans from Thor #301.

Leave your opinion on this theory and let me know what you think of it!

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Battle123axe

sounds wonderful, and i would support this theory if jason aaron wasn't writing....

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really hope this is the case, hopefully Aaron won´t write it.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By stormshadow_x

IDK. I like the theory but to me a Thor without a hammer is just weird. It's the most defining thing about his character visually.

I'd like the theory regardless and it would be great for the character and fans alike.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hope this is the case but don't trust marvel to do anything good with Thor rn

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98: @stormshadow_x: @thor_parker82: @battle123axe: This would be amazing if it happens, it's whether Jason Aaron could actually implement it right that's the problem. Has he shown us enough to say he could? I don't think so at all to be honest, but time will tell.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98: @stormshadow_x: @thor_parker82: @battle123axe: This would be amazing if it happens, it's whether Jason Aaron could actually implement it right that's the problem. Has he shown us enough to say he could? I don't think so at all to be honest, but time will tell.

His first volume of Thor God of Thunder is I think the best Thor stuff ever was written. I think he can pull it off

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Asgaard

In my view, Thor doesn't have his hammer yet because he lost it (temporally) in the movies, Aaron had no plans for War Thor, he just had some notions of the Ragnarok creative decisions (not necessarily the all script), and to not reinforce even more the God of the Hammers notion, Thor will just stay without any hammer till the next Avengers movie where marvel comics will bring back all their core characters for a relaunch or similar stuff, (i hope no one was naive enough to think that marvel comics would do all theses changes if they did not have the Avengers Infinity Wars movies as some kind of insurance so that these comic book characters were not definitely forgotten, still cost Alonso's head), and *spoilers for Infinity War, Thor will get his hammer back (now only makes sense an upgraded version), so... I don't see your theory happening, all seems synchronized for Thor have his hammer back in the movies and comics in the next May.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

In my view, Thor doesn't have his hammer yet because he lost it (temporally) in the movies, Aaron had no plans for War Thor, he just had some notions of the Ragnarok creative decisions (not necessarily the all script), and to not reinforce even more the God of the Hammers notion, Thor will just stay without any hammer till the next Avengers movie where marvel comics will bring back all their core characters for a relaunch or similar stuff, (i hope no one was naive enough to think that marvel comics would do all theses changes if they did not have the Avengers Infinity Wars movies as some kind of insurance so that these comic book characters were not definitely forgotten, still cost Alonso's head), and *spoilers for Infinity War, Thor will get his hammer back (now only makes sense an upgraded version), so... I don't see your theory happening, all seems synchronized for Thor have his hammer back in the movies and comics in the next May.

Do you have proof other than set footage to back that claim

Avatar image for deactivated-60e0c61aba21e
deactivated-60e0c61aba21e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

Do you have proof other than set footage to back that claim

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

THESE!!!

No Caption Provided

as for thee gold part i think thor merges with the antithesis of the necro sword

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trust_this_786: To be fair, Aaron's writing became questionable the more he went on to write for Thor.

ManCalledNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom:

I actually think that Marvel's "Legacy" theme is just them starting to undo the damage they've done to iconic characters, to throw the "all-new, all-different" crap away.

I think they are regretting that

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Those are some valid points, but if you think about it, Marvel has shown things many times but haven't illustrated it into the comics. We once seen a picture of Thor wielding swords and that never happened. This can just be a stage for Thor as we all know he'll get Mjolnir in the future given Old King Thor and all. As for him getting a golden hammer and arm, we don't know when in the future that happens, it can be long from now, so this theory can still be true. Also, Marvel doesn't necessarily care if the comics fit the movies or vice versa all the time. We had Falcon as Captain America when Civil War came out and Tony Stark was still deceased (or whatever he currently is) while he appeared in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 emperorthanos-  Moderator

@heirtothekingdom: You're back! I feel likes it's beens months since I last saw you post

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting possibly could be correct

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened Aaron? He was writing a really good run with Gorr arc or whatever now he's just off the rails

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

I would like Thor go full Raiden, smack fools with lightning punches and no hammer. Honestly, hammerless era for Thor could have been great, since it gives so much potential for good Thor stories, like him utilizing his powers to do what he did during Unworthy series and understand that he is the source of power, not hammer as well as explain that hammer acted as safeguard so that Thor could properly concentrate and manipulate his energies till he gets skilled enough with it so that he doesn't need hammer for concentration, and as mentioned above him finally starting to fullfill the destiny he was born for, to finally become the most powerful among asgardian ON HIS OWN WITHOUT ODINFORCE, that would be awesome, but Marvel fuc*** it all up alongside Aaron. They had such a great chance to create a very solidly good Thor comic, and they didn't even take a chance of it.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Those are some valid points, but if you think about it, Marvel has shown things many times but haven't illustrated it into the comics. We once seen a picture of Thor wielding swords and that never happened. This can just be a stage for Thor as we all know he'll get Mjolnir in the future given Old King Thor and all. As for him getting a golden hammer and arm, we don't know when in the future that happens, it can be long from now, so this theory can still be true. Also, Marvel doesn't necessarily care if the comics fit the movies or vice versa all the time. We had Falcon as Captain America when Civil War came out and Tony Stark was still deceased (or whatever he currently is) while he appeared in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Marvel comics (they just fired the editor and chief) CAN'T bring back half of the readers that left after the all new all different stuff, without put the all the pieces where they were before, and the damage was significant to the point where to sell comics like before the all new All different stuff, they will need to streamline hype and plot points from the movies.

Alonso and Aaron had the chance to tell the story of your theory after that whisper but they preferred to pander the new political readers, with higher executives not worrying too much because the Mcu peak is still to come, but now they just can't miss the Avengers Infinity War train, your examples of other Mcu movies are not a good examples, because the Infinity War is the last train for the marvel trinity, the next one its only like 7 to 10 years after this one.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers