Marvel has been so much better than DC in the film business.

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for imaloserforbeinghere
ImaLoserForBeingHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

And it's been like that for the past decade....... And I say this as more of a DC guy. But marvel has kind of destroyed DC in the movie business. I think more people would notice if not for Nolan's trilogy but even with those movies it hasn't even been close.

I almost want to say it's an insurmountable lead.

Why has this happened?

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not DC's fault. They are owned and controlled by Warner Bros whom for many years have only saw Batman and Superman as the only viable options for big budget feature films. Meanwhile MARVEL eventually created their own film studio which gives them the freedom to pick and choose what characters they like to put out and take more risk, and they've been very success at it this far.

If DC had their own movie studio and not under the control of the suits at Warners, they'd be right there with MARVEL Studios.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Mrnoital

it started when Marvel went almost completely broke around 2000 and sold off their movie rights to spider-man and x-men, and the companies wanted to make sure they were going to make their money back, so they make movies, and recently the rest of Marvel movie rights were bought by Disney who really really wants to make their money back, so they plan on keep making movies until they are at a profit

where as DC's film rights have been owned by WB for a long time and they didn't have to worry so much about making their money back

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mrnoital

@shazam117: Marvel doesn't have their own film studio, It's owned by Disney, who told you that?

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@shazam117: Marvel doesn't have their own film studio, It's owned by Disney, who told you that?

True Disney does own them, however films are made by "MARVEL Studios". Disney just racks in the cash the films make, but they are not heavily involved in the film making process. They just distribute and market the films as far as I know.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam117: paramount actually handles the distribution, but yeah Marvel studios is a subsidiary owned by Disney

and I'm pretty sure Disney is as involved as they are in the star wars they just bought, which they plan on putting at least a movie out a year, it was Disney's decision to make so many movies after they bought Marvel studios for 4 billion so they can make that back, if marvel said they wanted to take a break to get a good grip of what to do next, pretty sure disney would say no

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True, but how many of those movies were actually good?

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@shazam117: paramount actually handles the distribution, but yeah Marvel studios is a subsidiary owned by Disney

and I'm pretty sure Disney is as involved as they are in the star wars they just bought, which they plan on putting at least a movie out a year, it was Disney's decision to make so many movies after they bought Marvel studios for 4 billion so they can make that back, if marvel said they wanted to take a break to get a good grip of what to do next, pretty sure disney would say no

Oh absolutely they'd say no, no dispute there. Disney is in the busines of making money.

My point is that Disney doesn't have MARVEL Studios on as tight as a leash that Warners has over DC Entertainment. Now that said it appears we're on the cusp of ol'Warners loosing the leash a little if reports are true about these 8-9 films they have in the works, I'm hoping 6 of them aren't just Batman films and that we'll see some other characters get some time in the lime light for a change....but that remains to be seen i guess.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam117: I don't really think WB had them on a tight leash, just that they didn't want to risk their money, since WB is already a huge movie company and they've been making movies pretty constantly, they haven't had much need for them

but Disney was mostly making kids movies, now that they have this huge part of the adult market, that regular movies can fill, they are willing to do superhero movies to compete, since Disney and WB are big competition, WB doesn't like to see Disney successful, I just feel like they've been putting the DCCU in planning since not long after Iron man came out, and before Superman came out, and they want to make sure they don't have flops

MadFacedKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only 3 Marvel Films I care for

Guardians of The Galaxy

Captain America Winter Soldier

Thor (Haven't seen 2)

If you include Fox:

Xmen First Class ( Haven't seen DOFP)

Amazing Spider-Man (haven't seen 2)

BlueBeetle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BlueBeetle1

Personally, i liked the 2nd batman film and man of steel better than anything marvels put out. Ironman part 1 comes in 3rd place.

Rev_Sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Marvel have been doing very well. In the last decade they have released 28 movies compared to DCs 8. But I find the DC ones more rememberable and better acted to some of Marvels. All I know is there are two comic companies releasing movies and I am loving it.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Warner Bros. has no real idea what they're doing. They didn't know back when there was no competition for their comic movie adaptions, and they still don't know now.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I have to disagree with the OP. It has only been the last decade. DC invented the Comic Book Movie genre. If it wasn't for the early Superman films and the Burton Batman movies, the industry might have never taken off. Both studies have had their share of good and bad movies, and Marvel has owned the industry for the last decade, but before that DC completely owned the industry. As for the future, we'll have to see how good the DCCU turns out.

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 69ball-z-deep

nice..nice. 3 reasons why DC let Marvel get so far ahead. 1. TDK trilogy: in short its succsess killed the DCCU. One of the higher ups at WB/DC noticed the need to compete early on. His idea? to have two comepeting Batmans in the theater at the same time. Nolans and one like Marvels Stark that could open up a shared universe. Nolan fought this idea and won. It was his succsess with TDK trilogy that swayed WB/DC to let Nolan have his way. So... ironiclly one of the best things to ever happen to DC films is actully the worst cuz DC had to wait untill the trilogy ended before they could relaunch ther bread and butter, Batman and start competing. this leads to the second reason: the GL. So not being able to use Batman DC went with what seemed to be the next best option (it was too soon for a Superman reboot. Returns) the Green Lantern. at the time his Blackest Night series was dominating comic book sales. so naturally this should transelate to big money in the theater right? wrong. It was one of the biggest flops in cinema history effectively scarering DC/WB and any benefactors from attemting to take any DC characters other than Supes/Bats to the big screen ever again. GL was meant to be DCs Tony Stark and start a shared universe. but instead stiffled DCs progress once again. Third: MOS. DCs third attemed at an Ironman completly underperformed critic and B.O. wise to the point the sequal was scratched and the follow up film got pushed back by a whole year stunting DC even further. Tie in DCs inhouse power struggle they have been having over the last 10 years and a piss poor creative team behind DC more than likely do to the power struggle, also shotty direction and its easy to see why DC is getting straight stomped. And Marvels uber succsse couldnt be helping DC any neither.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nolan Batman was the first Superhero movie to made the billion dollars in box office, not only that even Marvel point they got many help after this happened, since people saw more money in Superheroes.

The problem is that DC has Superman and Batman and Marvel doesnt have Wolverine and Spiderman.

Without Spiderman and Wolverine, Marvel had to have a plan to make their characters bigger and try to live without those two, if you are smart you will ask to the spirit of Steve Ditko, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby they never get the X Men and Spiderman rights back, because that means Wolverine vs Spiderman: Downfall of Justice.

WB has the biggest names, so they dont need to make the rest of character bigger, they just need to find a way Batman sell them, that being the real reason Batman got back so fast and why he is facing Superman, even when Mos wasnt a failure, it divide people, cause a massive damage and lets face it WB still lacks a plan and faith in the rest of the other characters.

Why Marvel NOT owning the cinematic rights to X-Men and Spider-Man is a good thing for now

STOP ASKING FOR MARVEL RIGHTS, START ASKING FOR PARTNERSHIP

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True, but how many of those movies were actually good?

Marvel have been doing very well. In the last decade they have released 28 movies compared to DCs 8. But I find the DC ones more rememberable and better acted to some of Marvels. All I know is there are two comic companies releasing movies and I am loving it.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best DC movie in the last 20 years is Green Lantern..... That oughta tell you how little I care for their movies.

Their direct to video movies are solid though and translate way better into that medium.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Blame Green Lantern and Reynolds.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Why do people keep saying this? DC is JUST STARTING with their shared universe, Marvel has been doing it since 2008, they've had years to perfect it and add to it. It's like saying DC is better than Marvel because they dominated the Golden Age, while Marvel didn't hit their stride until the Silver Age.

But if you ask me TDK trilogy+Watchmen>>>All Marvel Studios/Fox/Sony films.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@shazam117: I don't really think WB had them on a tight leash, just that they didn't want to risk their money, since WB is already a huge movie company and they've been making movies pretty constantly, they haven't had much need for them

but Disney was mostly making kids movies, now that they have this huge part of the adult market, that regular movies can fill, they are willing to do superhero movies to compete, since Disney and WB are big competition, WB doesn't like to see Disney successful, I just feel like they've been putting the DCCU in planning since not long after Iron man came out, and before Superman came out, and they want to make sure they don't have flops

Respect your opinion, but I whole heartly disagree. For decades WB/DC has lacked vision and ignored countless other DC comic characters that could have been brought to the big screen that weren't named Bats or Supes.

There was talks of a possible Batman/Superman or Justice Legaue movie back in 04' I believe but they scrapped it and decided to go back to their comfort blanket with Superman Returns instead or something like that IIRC. When they did finally decide to step outside the box they give us a Green Lantern film and it was god awful. They need to seperate the suits, or whoever the Hell is calling the shots over there, from making decisions on their comicbook films and put someone in charge from DC that actual cares for the characters to quarterback with somekind of sense of direction. MAYBE that's happening now, but I'm not going to give them a pass for 25+ years Superman and Batman reboots. I gotta respect MARVEL Studios/Disney for taking risks with lesser known characters, creating a formula and being extremely successful with it.

WB's didn't decide open up their comicbook film universe until after they saw The Avengers curbstomp the box office. Now all of a sudden we're getting a Justice League movie and maybe some others. I look at it as MARVEL Studios being "proactive" while WB/DC is "reactive". So to the OP's point, it appears to some that MARVEL is in the so called "lead" of this superheroes film arm race and WB's is playing catch-up.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Marvel may be doing better because they have been trying for way longer than DC. DC are just getting started with building their big shared universe full of heroes and they should be given some time, while Marvel has been doing so since 2008 which is like 6 years have passed since then.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blade_R

I know many people have issues with it but I loved it and to me Man Of Steel > Every Marvel movie I have seen. Which is most, the only ones I haven't seen yet are Winter Soldier, Days Of Future Past, and Guardians Of The Galaxy.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people keep saying this? DC is JUST STARTING with their shared universe, Marvel has been doing it since 2008, they've had years to perfect it and add to it. It's like saying DC is better than Marvel because they dominated the Golden Age, while Marvel didn't hit their stride until the Silver Age.

^

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RustyRoy

Only for the last 2 years, before that DC was ruling and DC will catch up soon. When it comes to characters DC's are more longer lasting.

BlueBeetle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: agreed. Man of steel and the dark knight are much better than anything marvel has put out. Iron man part 1 was really good though. Easily 3rd place.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam117: WB doesn't need to be in a race since they bought the movie rights a long time ago and have been making tons of movies that already fill the market, and only recently have effects gotten to the point where we are making great comic movies, dc flopped with both Batman & Robin, and Steel in 1997

then they made The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in 2003, Catwoman(2004), Constantine, V for Vendetta, and Batman Begins were in 2005, and the dark knight series was doing well enough since then, but green lantern flopped in 2011 which might've been their starting point, but it did bad so they didn't go that way

they've been making movies fairly constantly, and with flops on risks like The Spirit(2008) and Jonah Hex(2010) can you blame them for taking it slow?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

^

Well the difference is Marvel wasn't even Marvel before than, and DC were making movies before 2008 but I get your point.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@mynameiswill said:
@the_stegman said:

^

Well the difference is Marvel wasn't even Marvel before than, and DC were making movies before 2008 but I get your point.

And Marvel was making films too, but both were pretty much on the same ground, they made good onew (Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men) and bad ones (Howard the Duck, Steel, Catwoman, Elektra). But now that Marvel has a shared universe, people are acting like DC is their complete inferior. You can't really compare a thriving franchise with something that's in its infancy.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FearTheLiving

@the_stegman: But your also saying that was Marvel movies they are but aren't. It's not like they had full say on those movies because they sold off the rights. DC/WB never had that issue.

Also I agree, I will say I didn't enjoy the start of it with Man of Steel but to compare one movie to 8 movies is a bit silly. Not to mention it shouldn't really be a race either it's not like they're trying to get to a certain point and be like "We win!" Either way I hate the whole WINNING thing fans like to use for giant companies they aren't sports teams people they both are there to make money and as long as they're doing that they probably couldn't care less if the other company is making more.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: that explains I was about to ask

Man of steel > one of those?

Lol

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even with the Nolan movies it hasn't come close? The last two Nolan Batman films grossed over a billion. Only Avengers and IM3 have done the same, worldwide.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well dc doesn't make that many movies first off. Secondly they still have the dark Knight trilogy which is better than anything marvel has done, and the first superhero movie to reach a billion dollars. Marvel isn't doing so much better they just have more movies.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: they have powers superior to humans. And they save lives. superheros.

A Superhero must have Super "Human" powers.

They are robots.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: they are there on own species. That's like saying superman doesn't count because he's kryptonian.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@proto3296 said:

@deathpoolthet1000: they are there on own species. That's like saying superman doesn't count because he's kryptonian.

I should point robots they have no powers too.

At the fact they are robots, they work as expected.

Another thing if we count them, we should count another character like Dragon Ball Z characters as super heroes.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: doesn't superman work as expected? Wonder Woman is an Amazonian, born with her powers correct me if I'm wrong. She has the powers she's expected to have. They aren't just robots they are their own race if creatures. How do you even know what to expect from these "robots"? They are aliens.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: doesn't superman work as expected? Wonder Woman is an Amazonian, born with her powers correct me if I'm wrong. She has the powers she's expected to have. They aren't just robots they are their own race if creatures. How do you even know what to expect from these "robots"? They are aliens.

Taking this its starting to became an argument on what superheroes are and how pretty much we could count pretty much all manga and anime.

And derail this thread.

Let me say this, Transformer didnt hit a billion bucks.

Neither Tranformer 2, it was 3 and that came out in 2011.

So The Dark Knight hit it before them.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: although I disagree with you on transformers being Heros or not. You are right and I read my facts wrong.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol like how dc fan boys are defending their series so much. I'm a fan of both franchises and honestly only 2 of their movies are good (from a critic standpoint) and those are the first two of the Nolan trilogy. Mos was like a lot of movies I enjoyed it but does that make it a good movie. Honestly dc will probably never make stand out character movies cause of Jonah hex, watchmen, and green lantern (it would be so easy to make a good movie for him I have no idea how they flopped.)

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By righteous300

@comicdude360: your opinion. To most people the Nolan trilogy as a whole was amazing and I'm not sure where you got that Watchmen was a flop? MoS was a good film. Sure it had it's flaws but it wasn't any worse than most of the movies Marvel has put out.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yep. DC is only better in everything else such as Video games and animation. :p Course back in the Day Marvel was in DC's Position.