Marvel Comics STRENGTH Tier List -- Is this accurate?

• 99 results
The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Hajduk

In a contest of brute strength and nothing else, is this an accurate ranking? Everyone at max strength.

Super-Heavyweights:

1. The Hulk
  2. The Sentry/Void
  3. Thanos
  4. Drax the Destroyer (classic)
  5. Mangog
  6. Kurse

Heavyweights:

1. Hercules
  2. Thor
  3. Beta Ray Bill
  4. Silver Surfer
  5. Black Bolt

Mid-Tier:

1. Hyperion
  2. Gladiator
  3. The Juggernaut
  4. The Abomination
  5. Wonder Man
  6. Super Skrull
  7. The Thing
  8. Nova (Richard Rider)

Lightweights:

1. Namor the Submariner
  2. She-Hulk
  3. Colossus
  4. Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)

Fodder:

1. Absorbing Man
  2. Luke Cage
  3. Rhino
  4. Drax the Destroyer (current)

Please explain any inaccuracies you see.

Avatar image for deactivated-60f4940f2eb6f
deactivated-60f4940f2eb6f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyperion and Gladiator should be up there in the top tier

Current She Hulk should also probably be there but I'm not really familiar with her

Current Thing might also be above base Thor strength-wise but I'm unsure

Classic Surfer was pretty weak strength-wise but he seemed to grow in strength over the years (his strength also depends on whether he amps himself with the power cosmic or not)

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyperion, Surfer and Gladiator should be high tiers. Juggernaut should be bumped down to mid tier imo

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say bump Hyperion and Gladiator to top tier. And lower juggernaut. His raw lifting strength isnt quite as high.

MinisculeHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyperion, Surfer and Gladiator should be high tiers. Juggernaut should be bumped down to mid tier imo

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Hajduk

@alonis3612 said:

Hyperion and Gladiator should be up there in the top tier

Current She Hulk should also probably be there but I'm not really familiar with her

Current Thing might also be above base Thor strength-wise but I'm unsure

Classic Surfer was pretty weak strength-wise but he seemed to grow in strength over the years (his strength also depends on whether he amps himself with the power cosmic or not)

@coolcat4 said:

I would say bump Hyperion and Gladiator to top tier. And lower juggernaut. His raw lifting strength isnt quite as high.

@minisculeheart said:
@killianduclark said:

What makes Gladiator and Hyperion stronger than Thor? Thor is usually rated at the top of Marvel strength charts.

I will lower Juggernaut but I thought he scaled above Thor and he has the dimension punching feats that place him higher?

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

@the_hajduk: They didn't say they were stronger than Thor, just in the same tier.

Either way your list looks fine to me. I think Juggs stated once that him and Thor are equal in terms of strength.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ProfessorRespect

@minisculeheart said:
@killianduclark said:

Makes no sense considering Hyperion and Glad are pretty trash jobbers. Juggs is, sure, but he's done stuff the pair haven't.

Thing and Wonder Non-Binary being below those two is really off. REALLY off. Why is Surfer so low? He's pretty beefy in terms of stats not including energy projection or whatnot. I don't recall Sentry doing much of anything from a pure strength perspective as really impressive.

Luke Cage being above Rhino? What is this?

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rajjarsalt

@takenstew22 said:

@the_hajduk: They didn't say they were stronger than Thor, just in the same tier.

Either way your list looks fine to me. I think Juggs stated once that him and Thor are equal in terms of strength.

>silver surfer being a low tier, below colossus

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22 said:

Lol Stew exposed!

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 takenstew22  Moderator

@rajjarsalt said:
@takenstew22 said:

Lol Stew exposed!

Wasn't sure the numbers were in order, just the tiers. Name me again what good physical strength feats Surfer has?

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ProfessorRespect

@takenstew22 said:
@professorrespect said:
@rajjarsalt said:
@takenstew22 said:

Lol Stew exposed!

Wasn't sure the numbers were in order, just the tiers. Name me again what good physical strength feats Surfer has?

Beating Abom? Punching up 70's Thing? Throwing around Hulk? Even when he was nerfed in his early days he took Hulk's full wrath and was fine in overpowering him in tussles. He's not the GOAT but he's not this low lol

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: They are not stronger then Thor. Does your numbering in each tier rank them or is it just for listing?

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luke Cage is far below any person here he needs to be in a different tier.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22 said:
@professorrespect said:
@rajjarsalt said:
@takenstew22 said:

Lol Stew exposed!

Beating Abom? Punching up 70's Thing? Throwing around Hulk? Even when he was nerfed in his early days he took Hulk's full wrath and was fine in overpowering him in tussles. He's not the GOAT but he's not this low lol

Wrestling Ravenous and Morg is game too

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 takenstew22  Moderator

@professorrespect: Did he still have the power to amp his physicals with cosmic energy even after being trapped on Earth?

Either way I wasn't paying attention to the low tiers. Even without power cosmic I still think his physicals should be above someone like Colossus who's like, the middiest mid tier you can probably get. Though I know that time when Surfer was trapped on Dynamo City and got all his energy taken away he didn't seem to have any super strength at all.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 takenstew22  Moderator

He can amp his strength with energy tho.

TheWhiteCrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheWhiteCrown

While we're on the topic of how this this list works, which version of the characters are we talking about?

There are only like 2, maybe 3, versions of Hyperion worth mentioning. Gladitor should be top tier, his power levels fluctuate depending on how confident he is. A confident Gladitor can take out Hulk and has snapped a version of Hyperion's neck. Either way, they're all strong enough to lift a sky scrapper, in a way that it defies gravity and inertia in the process, without much issue.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt said:

Could apply for any strength feat he has, in which case his placement would be based on energy-amped strength

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

@rajjarsalt said:
@takenstew22 said:
@rajjarsalt said:

Could apply for any strength feat he has, in which case his placement would be based on energy-amped strength

If that's the case then he should be top tier.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: Did he still have the power to amp his physicals with cosmic energy even after being trapped on Earth?

Either way I wasn't paying attention to the low tiers. Even without power cosmic I still think his physicals should be above someone like Colossus who's like, the middiest mid tier you can probably get. Though I know that time when Surfer was trapped on Dynamo City and got all his energy taken away he didn't seem to have any super strength at all.

Don't recall, Surfer isn't low tier in strength through lol. The feats show for themselves.

While we're on the topic of how this this list works, which version of the characters are we talking about?

There are only like 2, maybe 3, versions of Hyperion worth mentioning. Gladitor should be top tier, his power levels fluctuate depending on how confident he is. A confident Gladitor can take out Hulk and has snapped a version of Hyperion's neck. Either way, they're all strong enough to lift a sky scrapper, defying gravity and interia in the process, without much issue.

Has never happened, Glad sux.

NovaPrime2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NovaPrime2

Surfer should be mid or high tier. Other than that, it looks pretty accurate.

Although where the f are Nova and Beta Ray Bill?

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luke and Rhino shouldn't even be here. Sentry should be lower on his tier, if he should even be on his tier at all. Gladiator and Hyperion are too inconsistent. Surfer's position is atrocious. Current Shulk might be top tier tbh.

Avatar image for intentdebatthor
IntentDebatThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IntentDebatThor

Literally everyone in mid tier belongs in high tier. Gladiator regularly overpowers and beats Thors, Wonder Man was many times shown and said to be in the same weight class as Thor, Hercules and Sentry, several Hyperions have feats that show them as peers or even superiors to Thor, Namor has traded blows evenly with pretty much everyone on the high tier portion of that list and so did Thing.

Surfer belongs in high tier as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-62bb20d3566c2
deactivated-62bb20d3566c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Literally everyone in mid tier belongs in high tier. Gladiator regularly overpowers and beats Thors, Wonder Man was many times shown and said to be in the same weight class as Thor, Hercules and Sentry, several Hyperions have feats that show them as peers or even superiors to Thor, Namor has traded blows evenly with pretty much everyone on the high tier portion of that list and so did Thing.

TheAltone003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surfer, Thing, Wonderman, and Namor are all high tier.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisculeheart said:
@killianduclark said:

Makes no sense considering Hyperion and Glad are pretty trash jobbers. Juggs is, sure, but he's done stuff the pair haven't.

Thing and Wonder Non-Binary being below those two is really off. REALLY off. Why is Surfer so low? He's pretty beefy in terms of stats not including energy projection or whatnot. I don't recall Sentry doing much of anything from a pure strength perspective as really impressive.

Gladiator actually beat Wonder Man pretty easily in The Mighty Thor #445.

Wonder Man was saved by Eric Masterson Thor, who is able to defeat Gladiator, but only after using lightning and Mjolnir. Gladiator was completely beating him up in the beginning of their fight, which implied to me that he was physically stronger than Masterson Thor as well.

Luke Cage is above Rhino because Luke actually oneshotted Rhino. I know some people call this an outlier but I don't know why. Luke Cage has better feats than Rhino. He has had wars with Wonder Man and The Thing and he survived a nuclear bomb. He was also hit by WWHulk and didn't get knocked out. Luke Cage is not a 25 tonner.

No Caption Provided

Luke and Rhino shouldn't even be here. Sentry should be lower on his tier, if he should even be on his tier at all. Gladiator and Hyperion are too inconsistent. Surfer's position is atrocious. Current Shulk might be top tier tbh.

Like it or not, they've both been able to fight the heavyweights many many times and didn't get totally outclassed. Therefore they deserve a tier, but since they are clearly weaker than other heavyweights, they get the low tier.

Surfer, Thing, Wonderman, and Namor are all high tier.

We can't have every single character in high tier. They all have many fights with each other, but there is evidence pointing to some being stronger than others.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surfer should be mid or high tier. Other than that, it looks pretty accurate.

Although where the f are Nova and Beta Ray Bill?

They would both probably be near the top of mid tier imo. I can add them both if you want but where would you place them?

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ProfessorRespect

@the_hajduk said:
@professorrespect said:
@minisculeheart said:
@killianduclark said:

Gladiator actually beat Wonder Man pretty easily in The Mighty Thor #445.

Wonder Man was saved by Eric Masterson Thor, who is able to defeat Gladiator, but only after using lightning and Mjolnir. Gladiator was completely beating him up in the beginning of their fight, which implied to me that he was physically stronger than Masterson Thor as well

That viewpoint lacks a lot of context. For one, Wonder Man around this time was semi-retired and didn't do crime-fighting anymore, making him a lot weaker and rusty in terms of combat, usually only getting involved when asked nicely by his friends or if it effected his Hollywood business. He wasn't the same man he'd be later on and it showed in a lot of his encounters, especially with forces like Champion whom he basically admitted he didn't even have the motivation to fight him properly. To scale Glad above a rusty and far below prime Eric is a hard sell.

For two, Gladiator is wildly inconsistent, going from this to stalemating with Colossus numerous times, even losing a few bouts. This is just the iceberg of his wild inconsistencies and why he can't really be put reliably at the top of mid, he's good at points but hopeless at others. To place a stick and say "this is where he stands" is wildly optimistic.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Juggernaut should be the very bottom of top tier or the very top of mid tier. He's really strong, but the things that make him so formidable are his invulnerability and unstoppable momentum. Surfer should be in top tier because he can amp his strength

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Hajduk

@professorrespect: That sounds like it could be headcanon. Do you have proof that Wonder Man was weaker than normal in that comic? I'm pretty sure Gladiator is just more powerful than him.

And when was Gladiator beaten by Colossus? I am not against lowering Gladiator but I thought he was very powerful.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: That sounds like it could be headcanon. Do you have proof that Wonder Man was weaker than normal in that comic?

As shown, Wonder Man was retired from crimefighting and actively brings up that in fights: he wasn't training, and was rusty. You of all people would know the mechanics of a rusty fighter compared to one that never stops doing so.

I'm pretty sure Gladiator is just more powerful than him

By feats, not at all.

And when was Gladiator beaten by Colossus?

Him and Colossus had a battle back that ended in a double KO despite Glad having top confidence. Hell, he's been one shot by Sue and Gambit gave him major trouble lol. He's omega inconsistent.

I am not against lowering Gladiator but I thought he was very powerful

For his high ends? Sure, but he's rarely at that level.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-62bb20d3566c2
deactivated-62bb20d3566c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@professorrespect: Pretty sure Gladiator was low confident when Sue one-shot him. They had tricked him into believing his attacks couldn’t hurt Reed (who was actually Captain America In disguise and he blocked the attacks with his shield)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gladiator beat Beta Ray Bill recently

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: @kevd4wg: I just figured he had no really impressive feats and he isn’t typically known for his strength.

All of the people on Top tier have infinite level lifting and striking feats. The mid tiers are very relevant to them and sometimes win, and are easily planetary+ in feats. The low tiers can still fight these guys occasionally but they don’t get wins and they don’t have impressive feats.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk:

I just figured he had no really impressive feats and he isn’t typically known for his strength.

He isn't typically known for his strength sure, but seems like a misrepresentation considering he pretty frequently brawls with Thor and Hulk and generally looks worse than Thor, maybe better than Hulk in terms of raw strength. Simply saying that he has more energy based powers doesn't mean he's not a slouch in terms of strength.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: I haven’t seen him match the strength of Thor and Hulk. I have seen him match the strength of The Thing.

If he did match Thor and Hulk I will move him up.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: Here's one from Mighty Thor #5

No Caption Provided

I should add that Surfer has also punched out Beta Ray Bill in Godhunter: Beta Ray Bill #2, who is the physical equal of Thor. As for Hulk they've gotten into fisticuffs a few times over the years, never prolonged physical engagements, but generally they seem to be physical equals.

Avatar image for deactivated-60eee22feddcf
deactivated-60eee22feddcf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel strength tiers are sure as hell confusing due to different writers.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

@the_hajduk: Here's one from Mighty Thor #5

No Caption Provided

I should add that Surfer has also punched out Beta Ray Bill in Godhunter: Beta Ray Bill #2, who is the physical equal of Thor. As for Hulk they've gotten into fisticuffs a few times over the years, never prolonged physical engagements, but generally they seem to be physical equals.

I can move Silver Surfer up, but that would require moving someone else down. Do you really think Silver Surfer is stronger than the likes of Colossus, She-Hulk, or Namor?

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

@the_hajduk: Yes, he's far above Colossus and I'd say he's above Namor tho people who think Namor is the same level as Thor/Hulk may disagree. Normal She-Hulk isn't even in the same tier as him, current might be stronger.

Damn ok. I hate to do Namor dirty like this, but he hasn't been written very strong in modern times anyway. All his good feats are from the silver age.

I put Surfer right below Thing, unless you think he is also stronger than Thing (possible if Norrin no-sell's strikes from She-Hulk).

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: Thing actually has the best track record against Surfer compared to probably any other Marvel character. If I didn't include their showings against each other I'd say Surfer is stronger, but with those in mind it's hard to say Surfer is stronger.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novaprime2: @professorrespect: @noobmaster2001: @kevd4wg: @alonis3612: Added Thanos, Mangog, Kurse, Beta-Ray Bill, Nova, and Captain Marvel. This should create some debate.

Please respond with any critiques you may have, being as specific as possible where you think the character should place. Because moving anyone up requires moving somebody down.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kevd4wg

@the_hajduk: I'd say Beta Ray Bill is exactly the same in strength as Thor

Would also probably put Nova below Namor - strength isn't really his thing and it's actually hard to think of any strength feats for him.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

@the_hajduk: I'd say Beta Ray Bill is exactly the same in strength as Thor

Would also probably put Nova below Namor - strength isn't really his thing and it's actually hard to think of any strength feats for him.

By statements he is, but by feats he is more of a jobber than Thor. He's been beaten up or knocked out too many times where I think Thor would have done better. Like against Gladiator and Silver Surfer as you showed me. I didn't want to put Beta above Surfer who knocked him out easily.

I can move Nova, unless other people want to make a case for him. @novaprime2:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that Hulk, Thanos, Mangog, Kurse and Sentry/Void should be in a tier of their own, while the others should be moved down.