inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Marvel, in collaboration with the rap group, Run The Jewels, will be release two unique variant covers to celebrate the one of the currently most distinctive and celebrated names in rap. Deadpool #250, by Skottie Young,and Howard the Duck #2, by Mahmud Asrar, will feature Deadpool, Howard the Duck and Rocket Raccoon, as they display their love for this rap group by replicating their socially iconic logo on these variant covers.

First debuting on RollingStone.com, Axel Alonso talks about his awareness of the “tag the jewels” movement and how he was first introduced to its cultural significance by one of his son’s football games. "He caught a touchdown pass that won the game. And on the sidelines, he took off his glove and he pointed at it and his friends were going "Run them jewels fast," Alonso tells RS, quoting the chorus to RTJ's ‘Close Your Eyes.’

"Seeing the way that my 11-year-old son and his friends were improv-ing off of this really vibrant, iconic image…It got me thinking. If you've got this movement around the world from Bangladesh to Taiwan, people are doing their interpretations of this logo, and I got these roughnecks doing it on the sideline of a football game…maybe Marvel could weight in on this and have some fun."

Run The Jewels, featuring El-P and Killer Mike, two of the most distinctive and celebrated names in rap, might have seemed like an unlikely pairing on paper, but the duo subverted and pulverized all expectations with their critically lauded Run The Jewels 2 collaborative LP last year. Tapping into the creative synergy they’d discovered on their 2013 debut, Run The Jewels cemented their musical alliance with a set of uncompromisingly raw, forward thinking hip-hop, garnering limitless critical accolades including album of the year nods from Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, Newsweek, SPIN, Complex, and more.

Fans can get their hands on these two variant covers exclusively in comic shops this April!

HOWARD THE DUCK #2 RUN THE JEWELS VARIANT

Cover Art by MAHMUD ASRAR

On Sale in April!

DEADPOOL NUMBER 250 (a.k.a. DEADPOOL #45) RUN THE JEWELS VARIANT

No Caption Provided

Cover Art by SKOTTIE YOUNG

On Sale in April!

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Seriously...So now we are celebrating crime and thug mentality in comics? Not liking this on a lot of levels...

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So sick. RTJ released one of the best albums last year. This is awesome of Marvel, El-P & Killer Mike were so psyched about this

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

OH DANM SOOOOO Dope ROket Raccoon and Howard The duck with the RTJ 2 ALBUM COVER!!!!!!!!!!

THIS is the best thing I have seen today.

~MiB

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Seriously...So now we are celebrating crime and thug mentality in comics? Not liking this on a lot of levels...

No Caption Provided

~MiB

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@mrfuzzynutz said:

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, this is the first time I've ever heard of Run the Jewels.

popparox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Deadpool cover would make a sick shirt design ! Congrats to Killer Mike and El-P !!!

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Project_Worm

I don't even like rap but Run the Jewels' album last year was fantastic. I'm up for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: You're talking about their album, right?

I actually don't listen to hip-hop a lot. And when I do, it's older stuff.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

What the heck is run the jewels?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Yes.

And I know, just thought I'd put it out there in case you were wondering and thought about giving it a listen to.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Project_Worm

Run The Jewels is a song, album and rap duo....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Run The Jewels, featuring El-P and Killer Mike, two of the most distinctive and celebrated names in rap, might have seemed like an unlikely pairing on paper, but the duo subverted and pulverized all expectations with their critically lauded Run The Jewels 2 collaborative LP last year. Tapping into the creative synergy they’d discovered on their 2013 debut, Run The Jewels cemented their musical alliance with a set of uncompromisingly raw, forward thinking hip-hop, garnering limitless critical accolades including album of the year nods from Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, Newsweek, SPIN, Complex, and more.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MAZAHS117  Online

Run the Jewels single handily restored my faith in hip-hop/Rap.

HIGHLY recommed both their albums

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Cool covers. Too bad I'm old and out of touch and had to google what this was.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Sick! The Deadpool/Thanos version needs to be a Tshirt ASAP!! RTJ 1&2 both dope albums.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dang Captain. you are getting old!

~MiB

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome!!!

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That, Deadpool cover would make a dope T-shirt & i would buy it.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sachmoo

No Caption Provided

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JugJugBanks

the art on the second image is TERRIBLE. Looks like a tagger who'd been inhaling his own spraycan fumes for an hour before starting "work".

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam117:

There hits are nothing more than a collection of Hot Garbage! And to be fair, my issue with the current crop of artist is more with the production and beats then the Mc's themselves...so even though their styles are weak, mix that with amateur hour beats is why I know longer listen to music anymore.

But I am out of the 18-35 yr old demographic, so I think I have the old school hate in my blood hahaha

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Transformers1024

I like the Deadpool variant quite a bit.

desmond006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know who they are, but hey they're variants so whoever wants them go get them.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was about to make this thread but found out it had been made :/ Anyway pretty awesome, don't know much about Howard the duck or even Deadpool but these covers are sick. Love Run The Jewels.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ballin' out of control.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfuzzynutz: Have you actually listened to their music, because everything you're saying is incorrect.

Celebrating crime and thug mentality

They've both criticized such during there solo careers and neither of the run the jewels albums have really been like that.

There hits are nothing more than a collection of Hot Garbage!

Well basically every major critic that reviewed their albums have so far disagreed with you and just saying they suck doesn't actually make it such. Also hits? There not exactly insanely popular, none of their music videos have even managed to break a million views.

my issue with the current crop of artist

They've both been putting out stuff for well over 10 years, they're hardly the current crop just because they decided to collaborate now.

more with the production and beats then the Mc's themselves...so even though their styles are weak, mix that with amateur hour beats is why I know longer listen to music anymore

El-P ametour hour? Weak beats? What exactly are you getting that from.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfuzzynutz said:

Got it: Rap music = thug culture.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By meatwadf
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By buttersdaman000

@mrfuzzynutz said:

Got it: Rap music = thug culture.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Howard the Duck cover though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that was an actual record... I'd play the hell out of it.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@humanrocket said:

Same here. And I would buy a second one to hang on the wall.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@humanrocket said:

I don't have any real interest in the book, but I might pick it up just for the cover.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@humanrocket said:

@xwraith said:

@humanrocket said:

I don't have any real interest in the book, but I might pick it up just for the cover.

I know the feeling. I have never read an Aqua Man book, but that cover coming out in a couple of the parody from Free Willy is something I want to get.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@humanrocket said:

@xwraith said:

@humanrocket said:

I know the feeling. I have never read an Aqua Man book, but that cover coming out in a couple of the parody from Free Willy is something I want to get.

I almost forgot about that one. I loved it too (and incidentally, that's the first movie I can remember seeing in a theater).

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@humanrocket said:

@xwraith said:

@humanrocket said:

@xwraith said:

@humanrocket said:

I almost forgot about that one. I loved it too (and incidentally, that's the first movie I can remember seeing in a theater).

Power Rangers Turbo was my first in theater movie lol.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

@skit:

Ok first..let me be completely clear on this. I'm 40 and been through a different era of music and culture. So please keep this in mind my views are based on a world that no longer exists. My Hip Hop no longer exists, what I have lived through will not the same experience as others. And as a result I respect that fact and choice to say my taste in the genre is clearly dated and should be taken with a grain of salt. The 18-35 demographic is in effect for a reason. Your tastes change, you remember more then you experience at this age. Been there and done that is a true statement lol.

So again I concede that generational gap, and acknowledge I am just not meant to understand the music RTJ is putting out..I seriously doubt they are trying to rock to a father of 3 putting 1 threw college. Just not a good look.

Now that being said..

1) The Thug criticism wasn't for their music, it is the imagery and the name...Back in my day...Someone told you to Run something...you were getting robbed,so Run The jewels is a great name, but where I'm from...Run the jewels with a gun, means your no longer a owner of your jewelry..I.e the Crime and Thug culture comment, Like using Suicidal Tendencies to be the pitch men for Breast Cancer awareness

also to Kal'smahboi and others who questions the statement THUG LIFE and think that it was a negative term, learn your history,son

2) Yes Beats..Production.. One of the original 4 elements of Hip Hop, the music that is being produced is weak, and uninspired to me. Again...ask anyone who is 10 years or older then you..they will no doubt claim that heir music was the best! Just the way it is and will be. The sound has changed over the years.

So back to my original statement I have an issue with Marvel trying to capitalize on something that promotes a negative imagery. No different if they attempted to throw up W's and dress in Blue and Red. Not something the industry need to get behind in my completely ancient and archaic view apparently...I do applaud and respect those who voiced there opinion just a shame we disagreed so much on the issue lol

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skit:

Ok first..let me be completely clear on this. I'm 40 and been through a different era of music and culture. So please keep this in mind my views are based on a world that no longer exists. My Hip Hop no longer exists, what I have lived through will not the same experience as others. And as a result I respect that fact and choice to say my taste in the genre is clearly dated and should be taken with a grain of salt. The 18-35 demographic is in effect for a reason. Your tastes change, you remember more then you experience at this age. Been there and done that is a true statement lol.

I can understand that.

Now that being said..

1) The Thug criticism wasn't for their music, it is the imagery and the name...Back in my day...Someone told you to Run something...you were getting robbed,so Run The jewels is a great name, but where I'm from...Run the jewels with a gun, means your no longer a owner of your jewelry..I.e the Crime and Thug culture comment, Like using Suicidal Tendencies to be the pitch men for Breast Cancer awareness

They fully well acknowledge that and on the song run the jewels they even talk about robbing and killing. This something that's only skin deep and something like I said they normally criticize. On a previous collaborative work(with el-p only producing though) they even say

"We should be indicted for bullsh*t we inciting/Hand the children death and pretend that it's exciting"

"We are advertisements for agony and pain/We exploit the youth, we tell them to join a gang/We tell them dope stories, introduce them to the game"

Aesthetically the same could be said a bout a band like kiss. I understand it wasn't always this way, but kiss isn't judged by what would normally be considered "gimmicky" despite the face paint and eccentricities. Because of their fame, they're not considered some crazy cult types, something run the jewels just doesn't have.

2) Yes Beats..Production.. One of the original 4 elements of Hip Hop, the music that is being produced is weak, and uninspired to me. Again...ask anyone who is 10 years or older then you..they will no doubt claim that heir music was the best! Just the way it is and will be. The sound has changed over the years.

The thing is though El-P has been producing for over 20 years for himself and dozens of other rappers, big or small. He's shown to able to stand the test of time. The first run the jewels album anyways is overall considered some of his worst work in recent recent years due to the limited time frame he had to make it.

So back to my original statement I have an issue with Marvel trying to capitalize on something that promotes a negative imagery. No different if they attempted to throw up W's and dress in Blue and Red. Not something the industry need to get behind in my completely ancient and archaic view apparently...I do applaud and respect those who voiced there opinion just a shame we disagreed so much on the issue lol

Fair enough, I didn't really get your problem until just now,with the fact that their using the only part of them that actually does reference gang mentality in a positive way. Though to be fair it's clearly meant to be light hearted considering who they used( and thanos).

JonnytheWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that album was decent at best. this crossover reeks of like an old white man trying to be hip with the kiddies. they might as well make a rocket raccoon rap song with jay-z or something.....

mrb1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well...okay then

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least these special covers aren't affecting EVERY series.

husk123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Keep your ignorant racist generalizations off of comicvine this is about one of the only places I DONT have to deal with that ignorant white superiority mentality, go end your life.