Mark Waid is back on "Captain America" alongside Chris Samnee after "Secret Empire"

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Today at Comic-Con International, Marvel writer Mark Waid announced his return to Captain America alongside artist Chris Samnee.

The news broke near the end of Marvel’s Secret Empire panel, and Waid was very reluctant to share specifics. However, he did say that Steve Rogers is Captain America again, and his costume appeared to be the classic Cap outfit. Waid noted that Steve Rogers has been the “couch-surfer of the Marvel Universe,” and he’s hitting the road for a trip across America to reconnect with the public after the events of Secret Empire.

No Caption Provided

Captain America art by Chris Samnee. (Marvel Comics)

Additionally, Waid said that his marching orders for the book were that it should be “back to basics” Captain America as the character we know and love. He also expressed his excitement to be working with Samnee again after their acclaimed Daredevil and Black Widow runs. “We’re not breaking up this team,” said Waid.

This will be Waid's third time writing Captain America. His first run was was cut short by the Heroes Reborn relaunch in 1996. Waid got a second chance at Cap after Heroes Reborn ended, but that run also came to an end after a relatively short time. Samnee also had a brief stint drawing the series when it was temporarily renamed "Captain America and Bucky" in 2011.

Waid and Samnee’s run will begin with Captain America #695, which will be released in November.

- Blair Marnell, COMIC-CON 2017: CAPTAIN AMERICA GETS 'BACK TO BASICS' AFTER SECRET EMPIRE, IGN

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/21/comic-con-2017-captain-america-gets-back-to-basics-after-secret-empire

Am I like the only one excited for this? I mean come on, Waid is like the guy who made Captain America cool again in the 90s.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

Ohhohohohoho! This is going to be good.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well I'll be damned!. Now my hopes on Cap have been slightly rekindled.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mimisalome

So like are they going to pretend that Secret Empire never happened or something?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 morpheus_  Moderator

Finally.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So like are they going to pretend that Secret Empire never happened or something?

That's what I'm wondering.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am glad that they are bringing old Cap back but in a way they are spoiling the end of Secret Empire.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Good..I like Waid. Not real crazy about Samnee..in fact, I think he's terrible, but writer > artist for me. May have to check it out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Good..I like Waid. Not real crazy about Samnee..in fact, I think he's terrible, but writer > artist for me. May have to check it out.

You should. Waid's Cap writing in the past was pretty dang good.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dernman said:
@mimisalome said:

That's what I'm wondering.

I imagine that since Hydra Cap was caused by the Cosmic Cube and not actually the real Steve, they'll probably feel safe enough to address everything that happened in Secret Empire.

Remember, when it comes to comics, a good writer is someone who can take a bad or controversial story and make something good out of it. People hated the New 52 for the most part but love Rebirth which does not deny that the New 52 happened.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Didn't Cap kill millions of people in Secret Empire? How does one "rekindle" with the public after that? Are they still mind controlled?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Is Marvel seriously trying to pull it's head out of it's ass? This looks like it might be a good first step.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for jointron33sysbm
Jointron33SYSBM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old MW on Cap? Sounds good.

Current SJW MW on Cap? Oh GOD!

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all knew this would happen

O__O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waid is a good writer, sometimes, but Samnee's art is way too cartooney for my tastes.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:
@manwhohaseverything said:

You should. Waid's Cap writing in the past was pretty dang good.

Oh..I know.Going back to "Kingdom Come". The only things he's done (that I've read) that I didn't much care for All-New, All-Different Avengers and the second half of his Hulk run. Irredeemable, IMHO, was his best stuff. I know some folks didn't like his Daredevil, but I did.

HowlingWolves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mark Waid/Ron Garney Captain America run from the 90's is the only Captain America run that I have read. It was pretty good, but I'm not really a big fan of the character.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@manwhohaseverything: I enjoyed his DD stuff. Haven't read Irredeemable yet, but read most of Incorruptible... Strangely enough:p

You read his Flash comics?

Mr_FudgePacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waid is good, but I don't think I'll be reading this if it has Samnee's awful art. I can't stand that guy. I had to drop Daredevil because of him.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap should die after Secret Empire and go the way of Wolverine tbh. Nick Spencer is a good writer and would be nice to see him write real Cap. This looks like a boring Cap solo.

Avatar image for deactivated-597fe3e7af56f
deactivated-597fe3e7af56f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they just pretend Secret Empire never happened or retcon it away.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what I've been doing. Working out find for me.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

@manwhohaseverything: I enjoyed his DD stuff. Haven't read Irredeemable yet, but read most of Incorruptible... Strangely enough:p

You read his Flash comics?

Yes. Those were good as well.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's hope that this means the rumors are true and that Nick Spencer is taking over for Dan Slott on Amazing Spider-Man.