MANGA VS COMICS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sammythesleebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll MANGA VS COMICS (57 votes)

MANGA 54%
COMICS 46%
 • 
takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 takenstew22  Moderator

I prefer comics overall if we're including classic ones.

PrinceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

manga writers are better.

and i prefer manga.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Not a battle

Avatar image for deactivated-63a599f1d59e7
deactivated-63a599f1d59e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah not a battle but id say overall I grew to like comics more however some manga are just legendary like beelzebub really hard to top that in my opinion

Asshat_Zeppeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are plenty of legendary comic runs that can compare to even the best manga so auteur theory doesn't solely belong to manga +comics are always in color and properly translated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2414030c5e3
deactivated-5f2414030c5e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is too much good and bad on both sides for me to pick a choice.
Both is preferable than none. :)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh.....idk.

With Manga if you read the first few chapters and don't like it your likely to abandon 600 issues of a story.

With comics you can just wait for the next writer or jump on point.

Take Naruto for instance.

I hate most of the stuff from the end of the pain arc till the start of War arc. I dropped the entire franchise and when I came back for the War Arc I ended up hating the entire series for how the manga ended.

As a result I'll never read or watch Boruto because the story doesnt interest me anymore.

Meanwhile X-Men, Batman, Superman, Titans, Aquaman etc.....they all have entire Eras where i love the stories and arcs and if I stop liking it I just wait 6 months and the story takes a new direction.

Manga is basically like reading a book. The story isnt going to suddenly change and be about something else and regardless of how long it is, eventually it will end. And even worst if your writer goes crazy halfway through...well that's it your gonna have to deal with it for another 300 issues

Comics are like TV. You can love a show for 3 seasons get bored with it, comeback and jump back in because the next season could take an entirely new direction or creative team. And hell if you dont like what your watching change the channel and skim it till it catches you eye again.

Personally I prefer comics. It's easy to find a story or characters you like and latch onto them. Then you can follow them or go back and read decades of their adventures. Its timeless

Manga...I have some that I love to death. But they ended. I'll never see those characters again. And to find something else I like usually takes hours of going through 20 obscure stories with 60 different filters so that I dont run into another generic Harem, Yaoi, Yuri, Sentai, ecchi or shonen story that looks the same as the last one.

Green Lantern isnt Batman. Bleach, Naruto, One Piece and Fairy Tail....are just friendship is awesome! action stories with Ghost/ninjas/pirates/magic etc....even the obscure stuff has a dozen imitations that it's hard as he to sort through

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both, but I like Manga better because the action sequences are drawn much better than in comics. Battles in manga are superior. The main reason I read manga and comics are for the battles.

Theorder14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most non-super hero comics isn't that great imo.So i think i prefer manga.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Eh.....idk.

With Manga if you read the first few chapters and don't like it your likely to abandon 600 issues of a story.

With comics you can just wait for the next writer or jump on point.

Take Naruto for instance.

I hate most of the stuff from the end of the pain arc till the start of War arc. I dropped the entire franchise and when I came back for the War Arc I ended up hating the entire series for how the manga ended.

As a result I'll never read or watch Boruto because the story doesnt interest me anymore.

Meanwhile X-Men, Batman, Superman, Titans, Aquaman etc.....they all have entire Eras where i love the stories and arcs and if I stop liking it I just wait 6 months and the story takes a new direction.

Manga is basically like reading a book. The story isnt going to suddenly change and be about something else and regardless of how long it is, eventually it will end. And even worst if your writer goes crazy halfway through...well that's it your gonna have to deal with it for another 300 issues

Comics are like TV. You can love a show for 3 seasons get bored with it, comeback and jump back in because the next season could take an entirely new direction or creative team. And hell if you dont like what your watching change the channel and skim it till it catches you eye again.

Personally I prefer comics. It's easy to find a story or characters you like and latch onto them. Then you can follow them or go back and read decades of their adventures. Its timeless

Manga...I have some that I love to death. But they ended. I'll never see those characters again. And to find something else I like usually takes hours of going through 20 obscure stories with 60 different filters so that I dont run into another generic Harem, Yaoi, Yuri, Sentai, ecchi or shonen story that looks the same as the last one.

Green Lantern isnt Batman. Bleach, Naruto, One Piece and Fairy Tail....are just friendship is awesome! action stories with Ghost/ninjas/pirates/magic etc....even the obscure stuff has a dozen imitations that it's hard as he to sort through

Ah, now this interesting. It is the exact opposite for me. I have never been a fan of the comic format where writers constantly change often. They often wind up retconning and contradicting each other, which messes up the continuity and results in inconsistent characterisation. One writer will introduce new lore and develop characters and plot points, and build on those for years, only for the next writer to throw it all out the window.

Avatar image for deactivated-600f199354a16
deactivated-600f199354a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga ftw

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like both .

I tend gravitate towards comics

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's still the same thing, all I can say is I prefer manga to the big two.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notcensored: I was generalizing of course for simplicity by using the mainstream shonen examples.

Seinen is the same thing for me. It's always ssentially hours to find the story that you think you want to read only to find out what story you really are interested in. My preference with the illustrated medium is that I dont have to spend the same time i spend reading chapters of books to get drawn* (pun) into them. A senien is much more mature, but just as numerous and ultimately repetitive as the other genres when your hunting for stories to read.

I completely understand the idea that stories do end. But I've likely seen/read 50 to 100 anime and manga all together....I'm certain most people have if you add it all up...but how many of those are memorable? How many great stories and characters have you forgotten just because you moved on to the next story? It's a preference thing... but I like knowing that whether I read a book at age 10 or 50 Batman is still there.

Its the tediousness i feel with Manga that often bothers me. I'll go through months of following good stories and then a year looking for something that holds my interest.

It may be a part of the language and culture gap...but it's still a problem that's unavoidable for me.

Also I dont hate the War Arc, the clashesnif generations are very enjoyable....However everything after Naruto starts fighting Obito begins a trend of poor storytelling(IMO) and unearned character development that is compressed inbetween a avalanche of last minute power ups and plot devices.

It's just bothersome that in a fight that maybe took 5 hours we had 3 main villain changes, an entirely new mythology added, 2 180s on Sasukes personality, and Naruto and the Kyubi developing a comical relationship.

It's just alot of things that couldve been set up from across the manga that werent because we had to go on entire tangents that didn't even developed the established supporting characters

@GXrevs06- Its a preference thing of again. But for me I follow X-Men good or bad. I'm just that into the fandom. Batman I'm less into so I can be directed to better stories.

Ultimately a retcon in X-Men isnt that common, but sometimes it helps to move forward the story and mistakes.

For Batman, I would read something like No Mans Land and think it's great as an arc and then be able to walk away. Or find something else like Tom Drake's Robin title that I would love to follow...a series that was mostly writen by one writer.

Depending on what your reading what's going on is likely more important then what happened before, and if something was good and relevant enough to a character or idea...it will likely be brought up again by someone else.

The problem is that if you get a lazy mangaka or someone who makes a story choice you dont agree with the main focus, you dont get to read the side book or spinoff until the writer leaves or drops the point..you basically have to give up on the title because it will never change...

It's just my personal opinion of course. And it's mostly directed towards mainstream comics, because independent titles written and created by one writer and artist often leave me feeling the same way as manga do.

In the end, it's more of a critique on the effect of writing/reading long running stories with one writer as the creative force then anything

DrakoTheGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like/read both Comics and Mangas but I'd say comics are better for me. I'd say Korean webtoons are better than mangas also now since these recent Mangas keep chasing this boring as Isekai trends. And i know someone going to mention Korean Manhwa chase the Game world trend too and yes it's played out as well.

One of the reasons i prefer comics though is if a Manga artist dies, get burnt out or gets bored with his series that's it, if it gets cancel by there publisher too, that's it, no more of that story ever.

There's also those Mangas that are based off of LN or WN that aren't fateful to it or never finishes(either dropped or just sits there for months between new chapter releases) because the story is too long, so they hover there never to be completed.

Take Trinity Blood, the author passed away and now that story will never be completed. Now Berserk or even HxH, Those manga go on hiatus a lot so it takes forever to for the stories to progress. Then look at Tokyo Ghoul, it's writer got bored/burnt out and that stories quality went to shit in RE: and ended horribly.

I'm sure you all can name a lot of Manga that were great(even i can) and yeah there are some good current Mangas(refering to the Isekai spam comment i made above).

I like comics because i never have to worried(as much atleast) about one writer getting bored and the story just halts or them stretching the story for "world building". Then there's the insane Backlog of Comics that when going back and reading in order you can see how the characters changed over time and them having continuous progression even after the main plot is concluded for that series. I also like the fights better in comics now a days also as it be one-sided as hell in some manga with the MCs always winning.

One manga i enjoyed a lot was My hero Academia. Sadly i dropped it somewhere around ch 180+ because the story got boring for me. Kingdom and Vinland saga i enjoy a lot. I also enjoy some Manhua(chinese manga) like Battle Through The Heavens which i don't read anymore because i finished the Novel.

I'd list all the Mangas i read currently but it be too many(like a couple hundreds).

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WhyZoSerious

The best comics >>>>>>>>>> the best manga. The thing is the good comic is the rarest fish in the sea. Generally manga are better. The chances to grab shitty manga are not as high as it with the comics, because basically 97-98% of the comics are complete garbage. This 2% would stomp everything from manga, but it's not enough.

Manga.