• 160 results
Avatar image for purpledeadragon
PurpleDeaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well it's not surprising when One Dragon ball super manga volume outsold supermans Comicbook sales for the whole year added up together

Source?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're just comics for weebs, no diffrent really.

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mangas r comicbooks ...

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it's not surprising when One Dragon ball super manga volume outsold supermans Comicbook sales for the whole year added up together

Damn, seriously? Wow but thats good I guess, it means shueisha is not gonna stop publishing DB mangas anytime soon. If I remember correctly DBS was third in sales in Japan and Yamcha spin off being in top 10.

VineForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised and it seems wrong.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics from the Big Two are convoluted. There aren't many easy jumping on points, and even when you have that you still need to navigate a labyrinth of crossovers and events, buying books from other series' with characters you may not care about to keep following your own character.

On top of that anime being a direct adaptation more often than not means it is easy to bring anime watchers into the manga world. Imagine if someone was a big fan of Arrow and The Flash TV shows and decided they wanted to check out the comicbooks? They'd be met with characters that are nothing like the characters they know from TV. So you just don't have many fans coming in from the TV shows and sticking with the comics as you do with anime and manga.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you blame them? They have good stories and characters.

Zinu019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The insiatry that ranked more than 1 billion last year, (that only 2017 not every year combined) and sold about 86 million units in only one year is somehow dying. Right cute. Oh right lets not talk about how the market share in that article only account for graphic novels which arent the main product of the marvel and dc COMIC sector.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not surprising.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing new.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Partially because there is no stigma attached in Japan and you can finish a story beginning to end

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@syncroniam: why are you bumping all the comics vs manga threads?

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I didn't even know comic had been more popular in the past. I thought it's been manga all the way through.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hhhhmmm

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need to kil the weebs.

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST
Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't we enjoy both ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8317971872
deactivated-5cc8317971872

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly i think DC and Marvel need to stop publishing 50 books a year that exist all in the same timeline and just streamline the main continuity by getting rid of the excess stuff we don't need like seriously 2 Spider-Man series is not necessary at all (just using this as an example have no idea if they're still on going), while focusing on else-world stuff which has proven to be very popular considering DC made Black Label etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8317971872
deactivated-5cc8317971872

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People like progression in the stories they're following, something that DC and Marvel are very unlikely to give them. It's mostly cyclical and "the illusion of change" with them.

It's also rather confusing to know where to start reading a DC/Marvel comic book, unlike a manga where you can just start from the beginning. Even the most first-time-reader-friendly runs often require some background knowledge, and then if you try to read that background knowledge you find it had context from before too, and then it's elephants until the Golden/Silver age.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

now that marvel brings its real cash through other sources (movies videogames tv)
they treat the comics like a cesspool

josephgomes619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anybody surprised? When I was in high school 5 years ago, barely 3-4 kids read comics. I personally knew at least 50 who read manga. When people think of comics, they think about the movies. Nobody cares about actual comic books.

baph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The world is ending, weebs are taking over.

Gpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for them.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Amonfire1776

With Comic Book Movies and Media being huge these days there is no need to worry...also both Manga and Comics are great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isnt surprising anymore

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
EternalDarkFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still prefer comics

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only because the focus for the 2 biggest comic companies has shifted from comics to movies. There's just way more profit involved. If focus shifted back to comics, Manga would fall behind again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has nothing to do with comics being harder to get into. DC resets itself to fix that very issue and if it was an issue of being easy to pick up indie comics would be more popular.

TourneyMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hear shitting on big 2. Yet no one mentions how good indie comics are. If Manga is so awesome why is it only Comic movies made with big sales and Manga films make jack shit? Hmmmmm....

Revold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hear shitting on big 2. Yet no one mentions how good indie comics are. If Manga is so awesome why is it only Comic movies made with big sales and Manga films make jack shit? Hmmmmm....

Because they have budget lol.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't we enjoy both ?

seriously both are awesome

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are not awesome obviously.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By DeathandGrim

Year later post: it might also have something It has everything to do with the general public having no idea there are other imprints aside from Marvel and DC and the only advertising (indirect or direct; movies, tv shows, ads,etc) is basically for majority Marvel and DC if any at all and it's usually not even for comics. Meanwhile outta Japan their entertainment industry pumps out like 30 different animation shows a year and have a wide array of advertising that make it over to the west (Via dubbing and translation sites, official dub releases) it's no wonder America's comic market gets crowded out.

America really really sucks at marketing the comics industry. You see ads all the damn time for new sub/dub sites, new streaming services that hold Japanese media. You know where they hide ads for American comics? In other comics.So in order to see advertising to generate interest for another comic I have to pay for a comic first? Or in targeted ads online to people who already read comics. How does this convert anyone?

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#92  Edited By Omnipotent94

@tourneymaster said:

Because many people who are shitting on comics don't know anything about them. They think comics are all about superheroes. I doubt they have read a single vertigo comic.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You watch the MCU/DCEU, why get into the comics version where the average movie-goer will find it hard to get in to. There are like 10+ Batman movies, why read the same story, but on a comic book? I'm not hating, I'm just saying these might be reasons, meanwhile, if someone watches anime, most of the time, they're more inclined to read the manga especially with big shows like Naruto and One Piece.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Shinne

@faradaysloth: Isn't it the opposite though? Manga and anime are nearly identical to each other while that is not the case with comics and live-actions. I feel like there are more to explore in comic that you can't get anywhere else compared to manga because most good manga already have anime adaptation (or at least will have).

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan: with manga you can get through the story faster, or even learn new things that haven’t been adapted into the anime or never will be.

With comics you can new stories, though the majority likely wouldn’t get into it, since they already have the movies. Plus everyone knows who the characters are, why keep reading them? I understand that lots of people love them and I respect that, but you average Joe probably couldn’t care to keep reading Batman or Spider-Man comics still.

I’m not trying to diss anyone, I’m just giving my take, if it makes anyone feel better, weebs are worse than comic nerds ?‍♂️

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@faradaysloth: I don't disagree with you, but I think the main reason people don't follow comic is because it is only getting universally very popular nowdays, and there are waaaaaay too many stuffs to keep up on. The continuity is all over the place. Seeing some of the stories that they're putting out, I can see why people would say it's not worth it to keep up either.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Gaoron

Not suprising, tried to read newest Avengers run couple weeks ago, got bored after few pages - way too much text, panels have no flow whatsoever and action scenes are bland. For comparison I started Record of Ragnarok manga yesterday, read all of 12 translated chapters in one go without any sight of boredom.

icec0ld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

American comics refuse to change. They have been recycling the same self serving drama for how long now? Characters have stopped adventuring, there is no drama, the world's are all the same.

Manga is bold and they touch on everything, characters are allowed flaws and strife. American comics are borderline propoganda at this point. Heroes don't solve anything and aren't involved in the worlds they live outside of superficial levels.

josephgomes619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baph said:

The world is ending, weebs are taking over.

The world ended 20 years ago lol. Comic books are dead. Also sales don't represent how big the gap is, 95% of manga readers outside Japan don't buy the books, they read it online. There are easily 100x times manga reader than comics in US alone if one goes by actual reader count.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First it was cars and electronics now it’s Manga. The Japanese are taking over. :)