Managing your comic collection with Comic Vine

morbus_iff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By morbus_iff

I'm not a huge fan of most online comic book collection trackers as data entry takes far too long, sites are butt-ugly, you can't customize your views, etc. Having fallen in love with Comic Vine (my two week anniversary is in two days), I wanted to see if I could bootstrap a way to maintain my comic collection using Comic Vine itself. I've made some pretty healthy progress on this in the last ten hours using Comic Vine lists and the Comic Vine API, and this screenshot shows my current work. The script is coded in such a way that the output is entirely customizable and the final version will be free software. I'm also considering running a web service to allow folks to theme their collection without having to download and run the script themselves. 

Thoughts and comments? 

No Caption Provided
jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jamesewelch

How do you handle variant covers in your collection? Multiple printings (2nd, 3rd printing, etc.)

That's the one thing that I believe could be improved on at CV. Each cover upload needs a title/description or at least a place to put Cover A, Cover B, etc.

I like the idea behind it, I wished CV had a few more fields so that you could be more specific in which issue you have in your collection.

morbus_iff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By morbus_iff
@jamesewelch: At the moment, I don't handle variants at all. My current suspicion is that since variant covers are handled by attaching a gallery to the issue in question (the same way one would attach a gallery to a character, object, concept, etc.), that information is not available in the API itself (and my script wouldn't be able to determine it either). With that said, you COULD do something like "1-3; variants: 2B, 3C" in the comments of your list item. My script would STILL use the default covers of issues 1, 2, and 3, but it would pass the "variants" field to the templates, and you could theme/display that information how you'd like (it's the same approach I do for "location: " - the script doesn't know what that means, but the default template I'm working on does and displays it appropriately).
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Do you have a link to an actual product?  Let me know when you do. I'd love to see it.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By No_Name_

Brilliant! Beautiful! It's extremely impressive to see you use our data to help you organize your collection! Very impressive!

ChrisPartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ChrisPartin

I've been looking for something like this for a long while to help me organize my (now managible) collection before it gets too out of hand.  This looks like the ticket for me. I'm really interested in seeing the "final" product (as I know software developers never really think their work is completely done). 

morbus_iff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By morbus_iff

Thanks for the kind words, especially from the staff! Yay! 

It's not released just yet, but I'll have a 1.0 early next week. Need to write some docs, and there are a few iggly bugs I'd like to fix up first (but they wouldn't stop a release). I'd also like to optimize the API requests to be a little faster (as it is now, I wouldn't easily be able to provide a web service of it, as it takes too long for a large collection).     

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7  Edited By sora_thekey

Wow, this is amazing Morbus! Kudos for doing this amazing job.  

.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

Wow, you need a prize or something. The old CV line of "I'm always amazed how creative people are on this site" comes to mind.  I love the name of it as well Comic Vineyard has a nice ring to it.  Keep us all updated!

M.S. Feather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By M.S. Feather

I will definitely be using this when it's finished!

Magnificent work, sir!

Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Baron_Emo

I could seriously be down with this. All I have is a spreadsheet in Excel... 

afierce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By afierce

This is awesome! I've been using the Comic Vine Lists to keep track of my collection, but it's only broken down into Marvel/DC/Other, so it's very unorganized. Volumes aren't grouped together and issues aren't in order. This would be really great!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Decept-O

Anytime anyone does something  with computers I am always stunned, it is all beyond my realm of comprehension.  This, however, looks like something which can be of use for a change.   

Comic Vine is pretty much the right place relevant to your task.  Excellent.
Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hawk

I've got 5,000 or so comics......this would take 4 ever!!!!! 

Great job my friend.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I must say, I'm impressed

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Om1kron

Real fancy programming, you doing this just for personal use or also using this as a project in school? hehe It's always nice to get some homework done while it's regarding something you enjoy.

morbus_iff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By morbus_iff
@Om1kron: Personal use, with intention to distribute ;) I left school loOOoong ago.
morbus_iff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By morbus_iff
@Hawk said:

" I've got 5,000 or so comics......this would take 4 ever!!!!!   Great job my friend. "

Exactly! And that's why all the other online comic sites drive me nuts - 5000 comics would require *at least* 5000 page loads. That's one of the problems I personally wanted to solve. Instead of 5000 page loads (one for each issue), you add the Comic Vine volume to a list, then specify the issues you have in a simple numeric format, like you can see on Marc's list (who is helping me beta test) or my own (which is currently incomplete, but I've 10 row boxes to throw in there).

With that said, 5000 comics would take a LooOONg time for the script to go through, and you probably wouldn't want to use the default template, since it'd put all 5000 of those comics, with cover scans, on a single page. One of the other templates I'll be releasing will be an Excel-like sortable table row thingy, with individual links for every issue on Comic Vine. But, I doubt that will make it into the first release (which I'm planning to get out this Monday or Tuesday).
Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hawk
@Morbus: How about I ship you my comics and you upload them all. lol
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Om1kron
@Morbus said:
" @Om1kron: Personal use, with intention to distribute ;) I left school loOOoong ago. "
haha Right on!