Posted by thatduderox (829 posts) 2 months, 6 days ago

Poll: Man of Steel vs The Last Jedi: Which film was the most divisive? (67 votes)

Man of Steel 15%
The Last Jedi 85%

The title says it all. These two movies are some of the most polarizing films recently. Both have fans passionately arguing if they are masterpieces or a cancer to their particular franchise, and has caused division in the fanbase. But which would you say is the most divisive?

#1 Edited by mrmonster (11169 posts) - - Show Bio

The Last Jedi is the most divisive movie of our time, period. None of the runner ups (Man of Steel, Interstellar, etc.) even compare.

#2 Posted by TheVivas (18430 posts) - - Show Bio

TLJ easily.

#3 Posted by Green_Tea (9844 posts) - - Show Bio

TLJ, no contest.

#4 Posted by Outside_85 (22549 posts) - - Show Bio

TLJ, because on top of everything else, it had massive hype building up to it and it was just kinda crap.

#5 Posted by Vivec3629 (431 posts) - - Show Bio

TLJ

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#6 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (5705 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS was not decisive TLJ was so decisive it almost killed the most beloved American series of all time

#7 Posted by darkonast (638 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS was not decisive TLJ was so decisive it almost killed the most beloved American series of all time

MOS was decisive , not TLJ level tho , Many fans were mad at the realistic approach of Superman and how he handled situations , many supported it , it caused to a divide that started the argument of whether MOS is seen as a complex film (which it is) and pushed fans to even hate DCEU for life

#8 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (5705 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkonast: I dont think there was a DCEU at the time

#9 Posted by darkonast (638 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah but when people realized that that was the direction DC was going with their movies , a lot of fans left and never came back

#10 Edited by adamTRMM (7887 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't even know MoS wasn't well received at the time because no one gave half a shit about RT in the geek circles (BvS changed that).

And among casuals there's no such thing as universally loved.

#11 Posted by TonyMartial (5976 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelanddcfan24 said:

yeah but when people realized that that was the direction DC was going with their movies , a lot of fans left and never came back

But Batman vs Superman made much more money than Man of Steel so they came back.

#12 Edited by MarvelandDCfan24 (5705 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkonast: no that was BVS and I really dont think the problem was the dark tone with DCEsu movies it was the terrible writing and ideas I mean BVS had so much potential to be epic but just wasn't and it wasn't because it was dark its because it was an empty movie with epic fight scenes.... a lot of people came out to see BVS

#13 Posted by FaradaySloth (3144 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS started a fandom.

TLJ ended a fandom...

#14 Posted by MetalJimmor (5693 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel, at absolute worst, was an adaptation of a character people didn't agree with. It has zero impact on the actual canon of the Superman character in the comics.

The Last Jedi IS canon, however. The Last Jedi is how the story of Luke Skywalker ends. If you didn't like it well.. That's it, really. The best you can do is cling to the old, now retconned stories of Luke from the comics. The canon story going forward, unfortunately, is forever ruined for you.

#15 Posted by Vertigo- (16736 posts) - - Show Bio

Last Jedi handily

#16 Posted by Devilmenworks (611 posts) - - Show Bio

TLJ by far. With MoS it was the first of the series, and even though there were some division among fans, the divisions could have been corrected in an appropriate sequel. A sequel with a happier, caring Superman (as well as a good plot) could have easily unite fans

TLJ was so decisive that it made there isn't much Disney can do to reunite fans together outside of a reboot.

#17 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (2293 posts) - - Show Bio

How was TLJ divisive? Doesn't everyone agree it was a train wreck?

#18 Posted by FaradaySloth (3144 posts) - - Show Bio

Progressive Liberals loved it and some critics liked it (don't know why)

#19 Posted by RukelnikovFTW (5275 posts) - - Show Bio

The Last Jedi is the most divisive movie of our time, period. None of the runner ups (Man of Steel, Interstellar, etc.) even compare.

He may be right you know. I'm struggling to find a more divisive movie, and the first one that came to my mind were TFA and R1, outside the SW universe BvS (which I think was far more divisive than MoS), but it's still a far cry from TLJ (or even the other recent SW movies)

#20 Posted by BullPR (5344 posts) - - Show Bio

TLJ

#21 Posted by Batman242 (10817 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Posted by PirateKingoda (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS started a fandom.

TLJ ended a fandom...

Damn, well said...

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#23 Posted by FullMetalEmprah (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

TLJ no contest.

#24 Posted by Alavanka (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

TLJ by a mile. Man of Steel was only boring. The Last Jedi was bad.

#25 Posted by Outside_85 (22549 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, no since there is a massive gap between what critics said about it (still has a 91% RT score) and what the audience said about it (46%).

#26 Posted by WollfMyth209 (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

TLJ was a legitimately good film.

#27 Edited by Red_Ruby_Petal (5784 posts) - - Show Bio

TLJ was really crap as what most people would say, i wouldn't understand otherwise how it could be good.

#28 Edited by Gaoron (6369 posts) - - Show Bio

I needed to translate what divisive means lol. TLJ easily, MoS was a way better movie tho.

#29 Posted by ThunderPrince (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster said:

#30 Posted by Amcu (13484 posts) - - Show Bio

The Last Jedi was far more divisive.

But The Last Jedi was a far far better film. Man of Steel was okay but TLJ was great. Still shocked that people hated it.

#31 Posted by Kevd4wg (8858 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

The Last Jedi was far more divisive.

But The Last Jedi was a far far better film. Man of Steel was okay but TLJ was great. Still shocked that people hated it.

Trying to start a flame war?

#32 Posted by GeraltsOpinion (348 posts) - - Show Bio

Tlj. I'll take MoS2 all day over another star wars movie.

#33 Posted by Amcu (13484 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Amonfire1776 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

Two masterpieces...love both films!

#35 Edited by Jonez_ (11437 posts) - - Show Bio

The Last Jedi had some really good (Rey and Kylo relationship) and some sorta bad (everything else).

Man of Steel had some really good (action, score) and some really bad (PA KENT WTF).

Overall, I think that Man of Steel is more divisive. Most people agree that TLJ is meh to kinda bad. A "yellow to orange" kinda thing.

But Man of Steel people range from "green to red". It is more of an acquired taste. There is a really large range of difference in Man of Steel opinions.

The only people who consider TLJ a complete CATASTROPHE are MAGA gen z zoomers tbh.

#36 Posted by SanoHibiki (3276 posts) - - Show Bio

MoS easily, because there is nothing divisive about Last Jedi - it's simply a plain garbage.

#37 Posted by FaradaySloth (3144 posts) - - Show Bio

It shocks me how anyone can even consider TLJ has average, let alone great or masterpiece.

That movie was bad, people just need to accept that already

#38 Posted by RukelnikovFTW (5275 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonez_ said:

The Last Jedi had some really good (Rey and Kylo relationship) and some sorta bad (everything else).

Man of Steel had some really good (action, score) and some really bad (PA KENT WTF).

Overall, I think that Man of Steel is more divisive. Most people agree that TLJ is meh to kinda bad. A "yellow to orange" kinda thing.

But Man of Steel people range from "green to red". It is more of an acquired taste. There is a really large range of difference in Man of Steel opinions.

The only people who consider TLJ a complete CATASTROPHE are MAGA gen z zoomers tbh.

I'm definitely not Gen Z (33 yo) and think it was pretty terrible, except for what you pointed out (Ben & Rey's video calls)