Man of Steel is the standard everyone compares to.

• 55 results
_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

And I love it.

Has anyone else noticed this? For the past 2 years, any MCU film released before or after MoS has been compared to the film. I think it's funny how MoS is so polarizing (or successful, depending on how you look at it), that people feel the need to attempt and trash it with every subsequent MCU release.

It's actually a pretty good analogy for Superman, when you think about it. He has the one film that is relentlessly trashed and bagged on by multiple Marvel films - But somehow still holds its own.

MoS carries all that weight on its shoulders, by itself, just as Superman would.

Can you imagine what it will be like when MULTIPLE DC films are released? If a single film can generate this much discussion and comparisons, I can't wait to see what the rest of the DCCU brings.

Thoughts?

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dum529001

Man of steel is the rot and scum of comicbook movies. Just about any comicbook movie looks like a gift from heaven compared it.

Man of Steel screwed Superman like the american-made Dragon Ball movie screwed the Dragon Ball manga/anime series.

Even trash has better standards than Man of Steel. I still call it a trash movie since its hard to describe that level of awefulness without scaring people too much and have them constantly checking the closest at night for it.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fanboy is strong in you.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even know it was that polemic until i got to the CV.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

That's a great point. When Winter Soldier and AoU came out, they weren't compared to any of the Dark Knight movies. They were compared to MoS.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised saint_wildcard didn't make this

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If yore talking about mediocrity sure MoS is the standard.

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SCOLTON97
@_mongul said:

@dum529001: I see you live up to your username

I just spat out my drink at that comment!

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could be that MoS is one of the only good things to come from DC (also the most recent) whereas marvel is putting out critically acclaimed product YEARLY. So it's more of a comparison of the most recent. I think it was a decent movie, but the tone is not even remotely fitting Superman and the endless death is unnecessary at the end. BUT, there are aspects like that in marvel movies as well. I don't rank them against the opposite, but among themselves. MoS is the best DCU movie.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man of steel is the rot and scum of comicbook movies. Just about any comicbook movie looks like a gift from heaven compared it.

Really? The Hulk movies, Halle Berry Catwoman, Ben Affleck Daredevil and Batman and Robin were all "gifts from heaven". As you imply? I'm not so sure why it's getting this much hate. It's not that bad as the before mentioned movies and it actually grossed more then them.

@eyedcyou said:

That's a great point. When Winter Soldier and AoU came out, they weren't compared to any of the Dark Knight movies. They were compared to MoS.

I assumed this was because MoS's newer and is the starting point technically for the DCCU.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: Clearly a guy looking for a genuine reaction, don't give him the satisfaction.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@saint_sophie: Clearly a guy looking for a genuine reaction, don't give him the satisfaction.

I know to not feed the trolls, but sometimes temptation gets the better of me. :(.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By I_Am_Lightning

In the Battle forums, Man of Steel fanboys are devolving to 5 year olds that can barely form a sentence.

I wonder why...

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Manchine

http://i.imgur.com/71eFzte.gif

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_am_lightning: Probably MCU fanboys creating alts to make us look bad...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its pretty obvious the MCU has jumped shark with Age of Ultron. Next we have "Ant Man", "Captain Marvel", and "Black Panther" to look forward to. Its over, Marvel fans. Marvel is losing their loyal fanboys. Their popularity is declining. Marvel just barely beats DC in comicbook sales, and this is with Marvel spending millions upon millions marketing their characters. Meanwhile, at DC, their film franchise is just beginning, and it looks like Batman V. Superman, Suicide Squad, and Shazam are going to be major hits.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_am_lightning: Because apparently the movie was such a masterpiece that it literally blew their minds

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam: Lol ok they've been beating DC for awhile now

manuelb132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By manuelb132

I agree, I have notice the discussion always goes back to Mos, it's amazing how much discussion it still makes after all this time.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@superadam: Lol ok they've been beating DC for awhile now

Past tense. Age of Ultron is the beginning of the end for Marvel. They've gotten too big. They've lost touch with their fanbase. Its over for them. Reminds me a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog, for some reason.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it too, it came out the same year as Thor 2 and Ironman 3 and those films are rarely talked about. It's even talked about more than GOTG.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normal. It was a Superman movie.

Superman is THE essence of Super-Hero.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dum529001

@saint_sophie said:
@dum529001 said:

Really? The Hulk movies, Halle Berry Catwoman, Ben Affleck Daredevil and Batman and Robin were all "gifts from heaven". As you imply? I'm not so sure why it's getting this much hate. It's not that bad as the before mentioned movies and it actually grossed more then them.

@eyedcyou said:

I assumed this was because MoS's newer and is the starting point technically for the DCCU.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Incredible Hulk of 2008, Catwoman, Daredevil and Batman all sucked. Man of Steel just took trolling comicbook fans to the next level.

Man of steel is nothing but a cash-grabs that sticks a knife to the heart of what Superman is about at the same time. The funny thing is that the movie trailer lets you know the movie was probably nothing but talk..... yet some fans thought they would see a great live-action superman movie like never before.

I had the feeling it would be trash but I went to watch it anyway, hoping I may have been wrong. I wasn't. The movie was complete trash as predicted. It was nothing but a middle-finger and cash-grab to the fans. The producers and directors of the film may as well have spit in the face of any Superman fan there is while asking to be paid for it since that's basically what they did.

By the way, Only thing I really didn't like about Hulk of 2003 was too much time devoted to the backstory and not enough of Hulk smashing.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That one way of looking at it I mean it been almost in all 2 years of arguing about it.I can't wait for the 2nd anniversary next month

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe on comicvine but outside this site noone gives a crap about MoS it was a fun popcorn CBM with 0 character development or a poor storyline

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001: You think Hulk was better than Incredible Hulk ?

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They get compared because MoS is the ONLY DCCU movie. There really is no other shared universe movies for it to compare to as of yet. Something that needs pointing out, nearly all these Man of Steel threads are started by MoS fanboys.....that later pat the movie on the back for causing commotion that they themselves are creating.....not the movie.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001: You lost all credibility just for saying that

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How is this a good thing if so many who has seen it said it sucked? I enjoyed it but many people who has seen it hated it. Most threads involving MoS discussion ends up being like 4 people constantly going back on forth on how much it sucks and how it was good anyway.

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, fans keep telling themselves Man of Steel gets mentioned so often because of how good it was... it's actually used as an example of what a comic-book movie shouldn't be like about 80% of the time.
I think it's decent actually, though it would have faired better if the last battle lasted ten minutes less, if it gave Jonathan Kent a better reason to die, and (of course) if it didn't include any penis shaped space pods.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam: Maybe I should've changed it to present tense because DC isn't beating them in anything right now

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By SaintWildcard
14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By 14NC3
@lateralus said:

They get compared because MoS is the ONLY DCCU movie. There really is no other shared universe movies for it to compare to as of yet. Something that needs pointing out, nearly all these Man of Steel threads are started by MoS fanboys.....that later pat the movie on the back for causing commotion that they themselves are creating.....not the movie.

Exactly this.

What do you guys think is the biggest debate among us nerds right now (or ever)? Marvel vs DC. Man of Steel is the only thing that Marvel fans can bring up as a point to trash DC because it's the only (objectively speaking) bad movie from modern DC films. The Dark Knight series can't be brought up because they're brilliant and they're not part of the DCCU so Marvel fanboys can only bring up the worst thing (again, objectively speaking) DC has put out.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why does nobody talk about Fox CBM

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dum529001

@godzilla44 said:

Like that new Fantastic Four movie? Fox is so desperate to keep in any comicbook movie rights because comicbook movies grab people attention even if they end up sucking when you finally get in the theater to see it. Fox is just after people's wallets.

The new Fantastic Four will probably suck. Just wish they would quit with all their weak attempts and give ALL their comicbook movie rights(X-men and Fantastic Four). I don't have a beef with Bryan Singer though....for now.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@godzilla44 said:

Like that new Fantastic Four movie? Fox is so desperate to keep in any comicbook movie rights because comicbook movies grab people attention even if they end up sucking when you finally get in the theater to see it. Fox is just after people's wallets.

The new Fantastic Four will probably suck. Just wish they would quit with all their weak attempts and give ALL their comicbook movie rights(X-men and Fantastic Four). I don't have a beef with Bryan Singer though....for now.

First Class and DOFP were great though :(

Roth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Roth

haha Wow. Like I said, I lean DC, but dude, some folks are just ARDENT about what they need to like in this thread! I loved the 8-bit NES, but on the other hand, the Sega Genesis was the system for me in the 16-bit era. Doesn't anyone around here have different time periods where they find some company efforts more fond than other time periods?

Anyway, I LOVE Man of Steel! The action, the first 20 minutes devoted to Krypton, him humbling himself to the military, him feeling the need to kill Zod because Zod was going to kill others... It was a great ride!

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By micah007123

Nope. It's a good movie, but for the most part It's only enjoyable due to the fight scenes (which are great I might add), and a powerful music score. If your looking for story and character development however you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roth said:

haha Wow. Like I said, I lean DC, but dude, some folks are just ARDENT about what they need to like in this thread! I loved the 8-bit NES, but on the other hand, the Sega Genesis was the system for me in the 16-bit era. Doesn't anyone around here have different time periods where they find some company efforts more fond than other time periods?

Anyway, I LOVE Man of Steel! The action, the first 20 minutes devoted to Krypton, him humbling himself to the military, him feeling the need to kill Zod because Zod was going to kill others... It was a great ride!

He didn't seem very humble. He seemed pretty smug.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By Mrnoital
No Caption Provided

it's among my favorite comic book films, as far as I remember, I only count the first Iron Man movie and The Incredible Hulk among it in quality