Man of Steel(2013) or Black Panther(2018)?

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Man of Steel(2013) or Black Panther(2018)? (266 votes)

Man of Steel 53%
Black Panther 47%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supergoku17 said:

@itouchedtheboat: He really wasnt a full on rookie as he was smart enough to use his heat vison to caurtrize loises wound with heat vision without killing her

his fight against the khryptonians was literally one of the first times he put on the suit, and that fight was like a week after he learned how to fly. knowing how to cauterize a wound can just be attributed to an entire life of knowing he needs to (and how to) hold back and common sense.

I agree with that

icec0ld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tie for me. Both really good, I like the visceral energy of man of steel and the exploration of how he feels about humans. In black panther the way they presented him as a member of a group of leaders vs being this all powerful dictator was well done.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By adamTRMM

@renegade318:

You made a thread just like this, and it had more votes and better discussion too. Why did you delete it?

renegade318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS

The_Badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther due to the simple reason that I cared for this film more than MOS even though I don't give a rat's ass about Black Panther as a comic character, while Superman is one of my favorite superheroes. The MCU adaptation of BP is actually more interesting than his 616 counterpart, while its the opposite for DCEU Supes. I still love Man of Steel and think it deserved better reviews than what it got, but Black Panther was simply better. It had a touching and well structured story, a cool villain, interesting supporting characters and a relatable and vulnerable protagonist (unlike the 616 version). MOS has better action sequences and music, but I value storytelling more than those.

P.S.- Unlike the majority, I HATE Amy Adams' Lois Lane.

Avatar image for deactivated-627d8daf1de25
deactivated-627d8daf1de25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not a fan of either, but I liked MoS more anyway.

CyberpunkCop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS wasn't even a good movie

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlike the majority, I HATE Amy Adams' Lois Lane.

No Caption Provided

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P.S.- Unlike the majority, I HATE Amy Adams' Lois Lane.

She was better than the nutbag we got in the Donner movies and Kate Bosworth...

The_Badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1: Nope. Margot Kidder is still better (Ignore her monologue during her flight with Superman).

BTW the best adaptation of Lois Lane is DCAU Lois.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By samhmd1

@the_badman said:

@samhmd1: Nope. Margot Kidder is still better (Ignore her monologue during her flight with Superman).

Donner Lois was a chain-smoking, nigh-illiterate scatterbrain who went to truly deranged lengths over her obsession with Superman, IMO.

That's not even getting into how the whole Clark/Superman/Lois triangle just makes Clark a douchebag who enjoyed playing some sick mind game with Lois all this time. Getting rid of THAT is one thing I don't mind from the DCEU.

Eh, the animated Lois was annoying after a while. She came off as superficial, and really I never understood why Clark didn't see what he had with DCAU Lana Lang.

Heck, the movie Lana Lang AND Lacy from Quest for Peace were better love interests!

The_Badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@the_badman said:

Donner Lois was a chain-smoking, nigh-illiterate scatterbrain who went to truly deranged lengths over her obsession with Superman, IMO.

That's not even getting into how the whole Clark/Superman/Lois triangle just makes Clark a douchebag who enjoyed playing some sick mind game with Lois all this time. Getting rid of THAT is one thing I don't mind from the DCEU.

Eh, the animated Lois was annoying after a while. She came off as superficial, and really I never understood why Clark didn't see what he had with DCAU Lana Lang.

Heck, the movie Lana Lang AND Lacy from Quest for Peace were better love interests!

While what you say of Kidder's Lois is true, she's still more interesting to watch than Adams.

When did DCAU Lois come off as superficial? Its your personal opinion. This version is the closest to comic book Lois.

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man of Steel was great. However, Black Panther was even greater. Wakanda Forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-6021b09dd509c
deactivated-6021b09dd509c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man of Steel anyday.

Trixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Black panther is overrated while Man of Steel is underrated.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trixie: I have to laugh at statements like yours. They rated at what they are in the eyes of the many not the few.

renegade318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trixie said:

@lone_wolf_and_cub: laugh away, cause many people can be wrong.

Lots of people nowadays misuse the word "wrong" and "right". Just say you like Man of Steel/Black Panther better. The FACT is that more people prefer Black Panther.

Trixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackPhillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By BlackPhillip

Are people really this brain washed? Do they seriously not see that Black Panther is simply a retelling of Lion King, substituting T'Challa with Simba? I can't have respect for a hallow film with no originality or risks taken. Man of Steel has more heart, soul and originality in it's opening scene on Kyrpton than in the entire Black Panther movie. The World Engine, Smallville Battle, Zod vs Superman, Colonel Hardy's and Faora's fear/respect dynamic, the maturation of Clark Kent into Superman, one of, if not the most iconic characters in all of fiction. The killing of Zod was more unpredictable and shocking than any single moment of Black Panther, and it's not close. Black Panther is one of the safest most generic movies you'll ever find, which docks it major points in my book.

In all reality, Man of Steel is a much better film, it simply suffers from the division between the old and new guard Superman fans. The old guard didn't like it cause "not muh Superman." They are generally older, grew up with Reeves Superman and read Superman comics. These are the people that had positions of authority in the reviewing community, and the reason it suffered critically. Ironically, and funnily enough, these same critics have now become revisionists, claiming they actually grew to love Man of Steel and the risks it took, it's tone, visuals, soundtrack, and character development, or were one of the few who liked it at it's release, not without a tone of imperiousness or foresight.

Then you have the new guard, which would include myself. Typically younger, we didn't grow up on Superman movies in the 70s and comics. The primary medium for which I got to know superheros was CBMs. Now, what the old guard forgets, is they tried to bring back Superman in his good ol blue boy scout iteration, and it didn't work. Superman Returns was critically panned and underwhelmed financially, generally considered being boring and safe. So what do they do; they hire a director known for action and visuals, the producers and writers of The Dark Knight, a not just CBM but cultural phenomenon, start up a cinematic universe, and give them exactly want they wanted in Man of Steel, a new, darker, contemporary view of Superman, action packed with high tier fights, and even a showing of Kyrpton, never before seen on the big screen. As a member of the new guard, untainted by previous iterations, I immediately loved almost everything about it, and still consider it the best Superman movie and CBM period. But what does the old guard predictably do? Old is good, new is bad, not muh Superman. It's a common trait in human psychology to reject something new for something you're more familiar or use to. The issue here is, these so called "professional" critics, criticisms aren't even valid. Just look them up. Too much Jesus symbolism. Not my Superman, he's too emotional and self conscious. Superman doesn't kill and would find another way to stop Zod, despite there being no form of incarceration that could hold him. Superman wouldn't cause so much collateral damage in a fight spanning the globe and into space with a murderous villain who's primary goal is to cause as much destruction as possible and is as powerful as he is. Pa Kent's death was meaningless, despite him sacrificing his life to keep his son's choice of when to reveal his identity in his own hands. Lois and Clark don't have enough chemistry, despite the fact they literally just met, and it's an origin movie. Every single one of these criticisms are either invalid, outright false, or laden with preconceived biases. It also comes from the fact many critics were already in Disney's pocket by 2013, and didn't want to see a potential rival cinematic universe with higher quality than the MCU, which is why they feared and downgraded Man of Steel. Man of Steel is better than any Phase 1 MCU movie, and I prefer it over Avengers as well, and of course Black Panther. They turned a blind eye to the flaws of even some of the worst MCU movies like Iron Man 2, yet nitpick every aspect of Man of Steel. I think all of this can be attributed to why Black Panther has higher critical acclaim than Man of Steel. Of course, it's the opposite for users, who seem to pretty overwhelming prefer Man of Steel. The box office goes without saying. Black Panther was the 18th film in the MCU, received massive support pre release from every reviewing site, and even celebrities and executives were straight up buying out movie theaters to bring whole classes of black children to see the new "black empowerment" movie. The only surprising thing about it is that it didn't do better overseas considering Marvel's connections in UK and China.

Rant over. At the end of the day, Man of Steel simply evokes stronger emotions from me than Black Panther, which is how I judge movies. I could care less about the technical details or by the book script writing. Man of Steel just feels better. It's also a much more attractive film visually, much more enjoyable to rewatch due to the some of the best action/fight scenes in a blockbuster ever, and Superman is a better character with better mythology than Black Panther. We have one movie that took no risks, copied a previous Disney script, and played it safe the whole time, versus a movie that took risks and attempted to bring a new original perspective on the most written and iconic character ever. I have more respect for Man of Steel as a film because of that, and it will be remembered more favorably, no matter how many fake decorations Black Panther may receive.

Loading Video...

I'm not saying Man of Steel is perfect, or Black Panther is trash. But Man of Steel is great, Black Panther is okay.

Man of Steel>Black Panther.

Oh, and the people in this thread saying BP has a better soundtrack, really? I mean, to each his own, and I like Kendrick Lamar as much as the next guy, but I'd rather have Hanz Zimmer cover my epic CBM personally.

Loading Video...

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By WhyZoSerious

Literally any movie in MCU > Man of steel, except maybe for the incredible Hulk and Ant-man 1.

BlackPhillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whyzoserious: You're clearly a very biased fanboy if you think that. That's actually laughable.

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther wins for me, because I actually enjoyed it and came out liking BP (who I've never really cared about BP in comics).

Meanwhile, Man of Steel not only bored me, it made me dislike DCEU's Superman (who is one of my favorite comic heroes).

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trixie: opinions can’t be wrong genius ?‍♂️

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackphillip: lmfao at you calling somebody else biased. How’s the DCEU by the way? How’s that Man of Steel sequel coming along? Yeah so good they got rid of Snyder, Cavill and pretty much blew up the DCEU and are trying to go with Worlds of DC. But by all means keep acting like the few fans the DCEU has means something.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: hey man, not saying I disagree with you (in fact it's the opposite) but why are you always making inflammatory posts towards DCEU fanboys?

Trixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: In my opinion you are wrong, and since opinions can't be wrong...In my opinion 1 + 1 = 546.

BlackPhillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Don't tag me. Your clearly not trying to have an actual dialogue and your logic is clouded by teenage angst, a mid-life crisis, or whatever other insecurities your going through. Your not an intellectual enough level to debate with me, and I've already told you, I don't tolerate stupidity. So go troll someone who gives a shit about your pathetic attempts to knock the DCEU.

And clearly it does mean something since your obviously so triggered by someone liking something you don't. Look in the mirror genius.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackphillip: you intellectual? Lmfao. Just have to reread your own post to see how angry you truly are but sure try an deflect you anger on someone else. The fact you have to use an alt account is all the proof I need. Sorry I made you upset boy.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trixie: what kind of logic is that? 1+1=2 that’s a fact not an opinion. Wow ?‍♂️

BlackPhillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Seriously, are you like mentally challenged or something? Do you have anything of value to add to the thread about the topic at hand? You seriously look at are exchange and think you come as more intellectual than me? Anybody with a brain and eyes can see your a worthless troll. You don't want to want to have an actual debate, so for the third time, go troll someone else because I don't tolerate stupidity.

Angry? The opposite my friend, I'm laughing hard af at your hallow replies and the fact your a pretty typical fanboy calling others fanboys. Quite ironic and amusing.

Trixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther was the first MCU movie during witch I felt asleep.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther