• 60 results
Jinsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jinsei

Hi, this is something that a friend and I have been arguing for a while, he says that psychic powers are more useful and powerful than psychics, I say magic powers are stronger, so I want to see another points of views (please explain why)

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OmegaDynasty

Magic has a wide variety from entering one's mind, transmuting, stopping time, etc. So magic FTW.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Amegashita

In strict comic terms, magic should be stronger.  Characters like Kent Nelson and Classic Doctor Strange are cosmic level heroes, able to alter reality to with just a thought.  Zatanna has the ability to turn a person to dust with just a few words.  Most good magic users are cosmic levelled, while only a few psychics are at that level.  Jean Grey and House of M Scarlet Witch >.>

Jinsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jinsei

haha ty for the help

Jinsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jinsei

but if there's a battle between a magic cosmic level heroe against a psychic cosmic level heroe, who would win?

CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@Jinsei said:
" but if there's a battle between a magic cosmic level heroe against a psychic cosmic level heroe, who would win? "
Depends on who is fighting. 
Jinsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jinsei
@CosmicSpiral: well thats true, but i can't think in anyone right now haha
Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Son Of Storm
Cigam.
karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By karrob
@Son Of Storm said:
" Cigam. "
The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10  Edited By The_Martian

Not a battle.

Avatar image for thejuggernautpunch
TheJuggernautpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By N7_Normandy
@TheJuggernautpunch said:
" Magic. "
of course magic is stronger; your comparing a very limited power to a very vast one
ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ckal
@Jinsei:  I would say magic. Doctor Strange before he lost much of his power was probably the top psychic in the Marvel Universe. His telepathy was described by Wong as magic, and not really telepathy. But if he can achieve this through magic (as well as top tier psychic resistance), magic surely trumps any form of psychic.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By King_Saturn
Magic for the win
Jinsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jinsei
@ckal:  
Yes but isn't jean grey still being a psychic character with the phoenix force? 
That confused me...Can Dr Strange handle the psychic powers of jean grey with the phoenix force?
ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ckal
@Jinsei:  I'm honestly not sure on Jean Grey (Phoenix) psychic feats. But Dr. Strange has bested Moondragon with the soul gem (who is supposedly greater than Professor X in telepathy) in a telepathy duel.
Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Hazlenaut

When you are saying psychic you mean any kind of psychic power pyrokinisis, teleportation, healing anyone has list ready and explanation for each.     
Magic is more practical just enchant something with magic and any one can use it, unless it is the chosen one magic. I would prefer magic that is combined with technology, but then again you could do the same with psychic powers. Don’t they both can easily get mistaken by their opponents?    

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By tensor

abracadabra

nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nekoneko

Magic, but also psychic powers are very impressive 

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By Timandm
@nekoneko: It's a hard question to answer.  There's much to consider:

• How powerful is the magic being used?  (or the user.  For example is it Dr. Strange (former sorcerer supreme), or Pixie who only knows one spell)
  • How powerful is the psychic?  Charles Xavier, or Sage, or Blindfold?  How about Legion who's capable of rewriting reality?
I think it depends on the power level of the user and how resourceful they are with it...

You know, it WOULD be interesting to see Emma Frost become a sorcerer...
nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nekoneko
@Timandm: I think its in general terms. Magic users are commonly stronger than psychics and most of the magicians can warp reality and travel through time, while the only psychic that I can recall doing that is legion (and possibly x-man, he can step outside of time).
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Timandm
@nekoneko said:
@Timandm: I think its in general terms. Magic users are commonly stronger than psychics and most of the magicians can warp reality and travel through time, while the only psychic that I can recall doing that is legion (and possibly x-man, he can step outside of time).
Perhaps it would be a good idea to compile a list of magic users and psychics.  That might make them easier to compare.
Of course, there's still the question of what does it mean for one to be 'more powerful' than the other; in terms of what, exactly?  What they can accomplish?  or in combat?  For example, who in their right mind would disagree that Dr. Strange could accomplish more than Emma Frost.  However, in combat, could she simply stop him with a thought and erase his memories?  (I don't know if he has defenses against telepathy)  If she could, would that mean she's more powerful than him?  He can defeat demons, visit other dimensions, heal, alter probability, and so on...

So, what DOES it mean for one to be more powerful than the other?
Avatar image for alexander_sparrow
Alexander_Sparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

depends on how much control one character has over that particular element

nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nekoneko
@Timandm: I know that it would be easier to compare with people instead of the power itself.  

Well, dr strange defeated moondragon WITH the mind gem in a mind battle, so I'm almost sure Emma would never stand a chance, at least not against classic dr strange.

I think that he uses the therm "more powerful" to express what they can accomplish, because in battle it can go either way, depending in the combatants, I mean, it would be unfair to make a battle between WPoTC and Zatanna, they're in totally different levels, nevertheless, not beacuse WPoTC'd think Zatanna out of existance means that psychics are always goint to win against magicians with that ease.
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Timandm
@nekoneko said:
@Timandm: I know that it would be easier to compare with people instead of the power itself.  Well, dr strange defeated moondragon WITH the mind gem in a mind battle, so I'm almost sure Emma would never stand a chance, at least not against classic dr strange. I think that he uses the therm "more powerful" to express what they can accomplish, because in battle it can go either way, depending in the combatants, I mean, it would be unfair to make a battle between WPoTC and Zatanna, they're in totally different levels, nevertheless, not beacuse WPoTC'd think Zatanna out of existance means that psychics are always goint to win against magicians with that ease.
Dude!  He had the MIND gem.  That basically makes him more powerful than any telepath in the universe.  If Moondragon stood up to him at all I think that would be a testament to how powerful SHE is...  Why did he have to resort to using the Mind gem?
nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nekoneko
@Timandm: lol I'm sorry, I didn't organize my ideas xD she had the mind gem, not him, and he won. Honestly I count that battle like PIS...
nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nekoneko
@Alexander_Sparrow: I know, but the battle is apparently about the powers, not characters..
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Timandm
@nekoneko said:
@Timandm: lol I'm sorry, I didn't organize my ideas xD she had the mind gem, not him, and he won. Honestly I count that battle like PIS...
Ah.. LOL!  That makes a HUGE difference... Yeah, if she couldn't beat him even with the mind gem I think that tells us what we need to know...
nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nekoneko
@Timandm: Honestly i never expected moondragon would loose that battle, but that shows how powerful dr strange is...
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Timandm
@nekoneko said:
@Timandm: Honestly i never expected moondragon would loose that battle, but that shows how powerful dr strange is...
Absolutely.  So, what do you think stops someone like Xavier, or Emma Frost from becoming a sorcerer?  Seems logical to me.  Assuming they CAN wield magic, wouldn't it make sense for them to learn?  Telepaths can learn almost any subject instantly, although there is no substitute for experience.  But I think of how all the X-Men can pilot a Black Bird or speak various languages because they use telepathy to learn.
nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nekoneko
@Timandm: Well, I agree with that, telepaths may learn to use magic stealing the knowledge of a magician, but magic users can use telepathy via spells, in that case it would be a stalemate...
The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By The_Warlord

Magic ftw

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Timandm
@nekoneko said:
@Timandm: Well, I agree with that, telepaths may learn to use magic stealing the knowledge of a magician, but magic users can use telepathy via spells, in that case it would be a stalemate...
Absolutely... it wouldn't really be a matter of telepathy versus magic in that case, since they'd be using both.  I was just drifting off on a "what if" type of tangent...
I think, IF I were a telepath, I'd learn to use magic.  and IF I were a sorcerer, I'd learn telepathy spells...
crazy8504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By crazy8504

Its a tricky subject IMO because Magic is one of those things that is not ever define well in allot of situation. You would think in a battle that a psychic would be immediately be able to shut off the magic wielders brain and everything is done the psychic wins. but some magic wielders have mental resistance, charms, and wards ect. to make a psychic ability useless or on level with each other to become a battle of the mind and or wills. however allot of psychic not all but allot evolve to have the ability to wield the ability to alter reality. This also the is same of the magic wield as well (at least the really strong ones). case in point the House of M story I think does a good example of psychic versus magic type situation. what I am saying is alot of time psychic and magic wields almost get equal footing when they become extremely powerful other time were its hard to say. Like Jean grey, Rachael summers and Cable or Scarlett witch, Dr, Strange

nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nekoneko
@crazy8504: What psychics can alter reality without external help? Because rachel and jean has just done that with the phoenix force, I've never seen jean or rachel warping reality withouth the phoenix force. For now I just remember Legion...
crazy8504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crazy8504

Beyonder, I know Proteus in some universes has psychic abilities as well as a reality warping (namely in Ultimate universe) Sentry has vast psychic abilities and molecular manipulation so its only a matter of time before he can warp reality IMO. Franklin Richard and of course onslaught at full strength. I am sure Vulcan (Gabriel summer)  could have achieve that ability if he was a live and given time since he was an omega level mutant. of course I am leaving out the gods and celestial beings that exist in the marvel universe. Those are the ones I can think of on the top of my head, but I know there are some more I just need time to remember them.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By agent9149
@Timandm said:
@nekoneko: I think it depends on the power level of the user and how resourceful they are with it...  You know, it WOULD be interesting to see Emma Frost become a sorcerer...
You know what that's not a bad idea, her being able to shoot magic blasts while in diamond form
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Timandm
@agent9149 said:
@Timandm said:
@nekoneko: I think it depends on the power level of the user and how resourceful they are with it...  You know, it WOULD be interesting to see Emma Frost become a sorcerer...
You know what that's not a bad idea, her being able to shoot magic blasts while in diamond form
I hadn't considered that, but yes, that's excellent.  Especially since she can't use her telepathy in diamond form...  That would help balance out her loss in diamond form...  Who knows, perhaps the diamond form would help focus the magical energy...
nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nekoneko
@crazy8504: well... I know they have reality warping powers, but those characters have their relity warping powers AND their psionics apart, what I wanted to say is what psychics have their warping reality ability as a result of their high level psychic powers... 

AlsoVulcan is not psychic, he is a high level energy manipulator, at least from what I've read about him (sorry if I'm wrong).
crazy8504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By crazy8504

Nate grey and like you said legion. I don't know how you can say that the people I mention have there powers are separate from each other since most often or not they are overlapping each other and you don't now where one power starts the other ends. 

nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nekoneko
@crazy8504: What I mean with separate is for example, onslaught, it has franklin's reality warping powers and nate's psychics, they are not connected since they are obtained from different sources.  

Yes, now I remember that in Onslaught series reality seems to warp around Nate for a moment. I'll search for it later.
karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By karrob
@OmegaDynasty said:
Magic has a wide variety from entering one's mind, transmuting, stopping time, etc. So magic FTW.
nekoneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nekoneko
@karrob: that's exactly what I think...
Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psychics can do everything Magic users can, even control magic themselves. I think being psychic gives you the power of manipulating essense from your mind which could be a processor of unlimited and onipotentent power surging through your body and your soul.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: Magic users can curse people easy with out being caught and could alter reality hell the death note is magic and that could wipe out the entire x-men

Rijehu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psychic would be the favorable choice for me any day. The issue at hand is that most of our understanding of magic comes from Comics and books. Most of the time, it is simply an energy or force (Divine, Arcane, Eldritch etc...) that is channeled by users who become the conduits of its power. This energy can come from the universe itself or other realms of existence. Either way, it is usually an external force being channeled internally by the user, who then projects in back externally to affect reality in any way they deem fit. This is why it's a powerful force. Magic users warp reality left and right because the very nature of magic itself is reality altering. However, what many don't understand is that Psionics, (when fully unleashed and capable) are just as capable of warping reality without the use of magic. This is because the mind is both the source of power, and the channel of which that power is executed. Of course this means that the power output depends on the strength of the mind, meaning weaker psionics won't come close to even basic magic users. However, the strongest minds can devastate the fabric of creation. The most purest form of RW is mentifery, this is being able to shape reality with a mere thought, in any way you see fit. The psychics are rare, but not unheard of, and can rival most magic users of top tier power, if not outright outdo them. Franklin Richards, Mad Jim Jaspers and Legion have this ability and can literally warp really on monstrous levels (universal at least). Just because this power is not called (Mental Reality warping) doesn't negate the fact that the mind is the place of power and the foundation of this ability. Because the mind of a Psionic can be trained and taught to perceive everything, it can warp accordingly as well. Psychowarping itself is an actual named ability in which reality is warped with physic powers, but this usually carries a a much darker and twisted connotation due to the grim nature of the power of used by disturbed individuals (which is has been). Many comics however, don't dive deep into the sheer untapped power of psionics because they focus on the fine detailing made possible by the power(subatomic manipulation for example) instead if the top tier capabilities it has. If given more attention to the actually ability, and not the characters who have them, you can see that psychics are just as powerful as any other force there is.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither are powerful.

Avatar image for sithassassindarthmaul
SithAssassinDarthMaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Magic gives you psychic powers. :D.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By ProfessorRespect

I mean, as someone who has dabbled in both within Respect Threads, I can say that Magic users have the potential to be more powerful overall, but Psychic characters usually start off pretty strong and remain so as long as they don't get nerfed by PIS (Claremont limiting Phoenix Jean Grey so that she didn't just solo every villain, for instance) or character limitations placed by themselves (morals, self imposed barriers).

There's absolutely clear benefits to both, but I'd say Magic has a ton of versatility and can do things that the other side can't.