LMAO Achilles and Zeus are black in new BBC tv series "Troy: Fall of a City"

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Honestly, I can't even be mad with black people at this point. I'm starting to think this kind of revisionism hurts them more than it hurts us. I'm just very sad for Greek people because they're facing very difficult times and their mythology has been repeatedly raped by Americans and English people. I also think that it's time for us Mediterranean people to make our own mythological movies, enough with Brad Pitt and Afrocentrist fantasies.

Achilles is African in new BBC TV series “Troy: A Fall of a City”

Controversy Looms as Mythical Achilles is Played by Black Actor in New BBC Epic

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SanoHibiki
No Caption Provided

HATSoffMELO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Troy fall of a city? lmfo

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

Achilles was actually described as fair and golden haired IIRC, so Pitt's portrayal wasn't actually inaccurate. Odysseus is described as "ruddy" as well. They were quite rare in that though.

The idea of Zeus (or any of the Gods) being black doesn't bother me, the Gods are not mortals and appear as they will, I wouldn't care if Zeus were black, Hera Mediterranean, Ares Asian, Hercules white etc. Zeus can shag a woman as a swan and and produce Helen, Aphrodite was born of Uranus' severed genitals in some myths etc. They don't follow our rules.

IIRC the Ethiopians were actually well loved and seen as borderline mythical beings by the ancient Greeks, they believed them to be close to the Sun on account of their dark skin and that they had an especially close relationship to the Gods, Poseidon and Zeus both go and feast with them often, it's displayed quite prominently in the Odyssey and the Iliad.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is overplayed

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

k

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achilles was actually described as fair and golden haired IIRC, so Pitt's portrayal wasn't actually inaccurate. Odysseus is described as "ruddy" as well. They were quite rare in that though.

The idea of Zeus (or any of the Gods) being black doesn't bother me, the Gods are not mortals and appear as they will, I wouldn't care if Zeus were black, Hera Mediterranean, Ares Asian, Hercules white etc. Zeus can shag a woman as a swan and and produce Helen, Aphrodite was born of Uranus' severed genitals in some myths etc. They don't follow our rules.

IIRC the Ethiopians were actually well loved and seen as borderline mythical beings by the ancient Greeks, they believed them to be close to the Sun on account of their dark skin and that they had an especially close relationship to the Gods, Poseidon and Zeus both go and feast with them often, it's displayed quite prominently in the Odyssey and the Iliad.

So, I guess the idea of Chris Hemsworth playing Shiva in a movie wouldn't bother you LMAO

Ethiopians were mythological people, just like the Atlanteans. Modern Ethiopia takes her name from this myth. Memnon, for example, was not a black African, he was the son of Tithonus, Priam's brother. Memnon skin was darker than the average Greek man because his mother, EOS (the rosy-fingered goddess of the dawn) used to bring him and his brother, Emathion, with her on the morning chariot.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@oldboy93 said:
@rogueshadow said:

So, I guess the idea of Chris Hemsworth playing Shiva in a movie wouldn't bother you LMAO

Ethiopians were mythological people, just like the Atlanteans. Modern Ethiopia takes her name from this myth. Memnon, for example, was not a black African, he was the son of Tithonus, Priam's brother. Memnon skin was darker than the average Greek man because his mother, EOS (the rosy-fingered goddess of the dawn) used to bring him and his brother, Emathion, with her on the morning chariot.

I don't really care, just like I didn't care when Nikolaj Coster-Waldau played Horus. Shiva isn't really a good comparison though, Hinduism is still a widely practiced religion so there are more things to consider.

"Ethiopian" was repeatedly used as a general term for black people by Homer quite a few times in the Odyssey/Iliad, they were mythologised but comparing them to Atlanteans is flawed, Atlantis (I think) was far more precise in race and location, when the Greeks used the term "Ethiope" it was given as a pretty vague usage and synonymous with "dark-skinned" people that they knew of that lived south.

I'm far from an expert this is just based on what we studied in college. Regardless I don't think this is that big of a deal to be honest.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By SaintWildcard

K

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jasonhawke

As expected judging from the comments, nobody cares when the light skins are changed to dark.

Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well legend has it that i, thanos... Went from grey to purple to blue.... My God have times changed...

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL, BBC is ridiculous.

One thing I generally hate about this sort of stuff is that someone will find an example of a "swarthy" person being included in some sort of ancient European folklore, like a Moorish knight in King Arthur mythos, and use it to try justify that Europe always had the demographics of modern day London or something.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By stormshadow_x

Who cares?

Stormmagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont care because the greek mythology has been done over so many times by the media that I'm practically bored with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't care.

The Gods can take any form they please

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't care.

The Gods can take any form they please

☝️

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

W H O C A R E S ?

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, black Achilles annoys me as much as a white Shaka would. Annoying, but as I don't intend to watch it anyways, don't really care at the end of the day.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Who cares...seriously.

ThunderPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ThunderPrince

@wut said:

Eh, black Achilles annoys me as much as a white Shaka would. Annoying, but as I don't intend to watch it anyways, don't really care at the end of the day.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, didn’t know this show existed until now

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still waiting for black Jesus and transgender Mary

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaoron:

You know Jesus, based on where he was born? Would at the the very least of been fair skinned as opposed to the milk white most pictures depict him at right?

Anyways I don't care about this, I'm black and you don't see me moaning when films/TV shows whitewash characters.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more they try to black wash white characters the less they feel the need to branch out. Africa is a massive continent with a lot of their own myths and legends that have never been put to film, and we probably never will see them if Hollywood feels they can just keep recycling European myths and legends with new skin tones to meet their diversity quota.

Make a movie revolving around the myths of Anansi. Fans of Static Shock or Gargoyles will be vaguely aware of it, and as far as I know there's never been a major blockbuster movie involving the character.

vallixas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

I really feel for the Greeks and Italians. They need to start standing up for their cultures and history. When they're not being appropriated by British people, and being portrayed as looking Anglo Saxon by British writers and directors, they're being denied their history and appropriated by Nordics claiming they were the true ancients. When they're not being appropriated by either of those two, they're being appropriated by African Americans. Seems everyone wants to claim Mediterranean peoples lol.

Heh I found it funny that they did genetic studies on Britain and found out that Italians/Romans didn't leave much of a genetic trace on modern Britons. Hah but to hear British people tell it, they are direct descendants of Romans lmao. Nordics.....Germans and Scandinavians used to claim the same about Ancient Greece, until they did genetic testing and discovered modern day Greeks were direct descendants of the first Greek civilization, Myceneans.

Greeks, need to stop letting Anglos shit all over their history.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Most if not all Greek Mythology adaptations are garbage, don't think this one is going to be different.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By The_Justiciar

The Anti-SJWs are as bad as the SJWs at this point

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By IndomitableRegal

Tbh, I'm tired of all the gender-swapping, race-swapping, whitewashing, "sexual orientation"-swapping, etc. I just don't see the need for it. Human Torch, Achilles, Heimdall, and Baron Reiter are Black. The Ancient One, Thor, and The Doctor are women. Mister Terrific (Arrow version) and Iceman are gay. I'm just wonder who these decisions are meant to appease. I mean I'm Black and with most of these I'm just like "Okay, but...why?"

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

i really dont care if Zeus is black, but Achiles is described in the book to be pale with Blonde hair... like it would be the same as having Black Panther played by Channing Tatum... you dont do that shit.

imagein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh if the prominent depiction of Jesus can be completely inaccurate nobody seems to care. I'm guessing this will be the same. It's just a look. As long as they keep the story well written and mostly faithful behaviors that's what matters. Of course most people relate and appreciate to people they look like. It's a comfort thing.

If you wanted people to go to your church in medieval France you had to depict a long haired white Jesus not the short curly haired brown Palestinian/ seluccid era man he was

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@oldboy93: That does make him black in the context of Greek mythology. The Ancient Greeks believed that black people were white people with a permanent tan cause by Helio’s son losing control of his powers, heating up Africa and making its inhabitants have dark skin.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hypnos0929

This is stupid

RedEye_Ink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RedEye_Ink

@oldboy93: What you meant is that the "Ethiopians" became mythologized, Ethiopia was referring to the land south of Egypt. Memnon would be what we call a black man lol

RedEye_Ink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Greek gods and goddesses were based off of prior African gods, this is known, so who cares.

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaoron said:

It would be a lot more accurate than White Jesus with blue eyes.

Emanresu_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Emanresu_20

Damn. First blue eyes white Jesus and now Achilles?

What a travesty

Epicyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol got em. Also I don't care, I don't watch this shit. Mythology is dumb and boring nerd material. Yall get sympathy points from me though because race swapping has effected my franchises too

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@epicyon said:

Lol got em. Also I don't care, I don't watch this shit. Mythology is dumb and boring nerd material. Yall get sympathy points from me though because race swapping has effected my franchises too

What the hell would you call superheroes and comic books then?

macleen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaoron said:

TF

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Some fantasy series on bbc is not historic revisionism...

Also where were the guys with a problem when movies such as Exodus gods and kings came out. There it was those stupid arabs why don't they fet its juat fiction...

anakon4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would want to see SJW's Troy but as a parody.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
@epicyon said:

What the hell would you call superheroes and comic books then?

Was 'bout to ask the same thing lmao

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Everyone is trying too hard to be politically correct instead of staying true to the source material.

Au_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh