• 69 results
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Who are your least favorite comic artists?

I'll post mine soon.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

1.Frank Quitely  
2.Steve Dillon 
3.Rob Leifeld 

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Caligula

Alot of People are goin to say Liefeld. 
and it's going to turn into a disrespect fest for him again, because all of these little kids who nothing about comics or comics history like post crap like Liefeld sucks, yet Liefeld is a living legend and created some of the best characters in comics. and is the father od Deadpool, Cable, and YoungBlood, as well as one of the original creators of Image comics, and all of these snot nosed kids are gonna trash talk, someone who could draw better than them with his fingers chopped off. 

I don't really have an artist I dislike, but there are lots of crappy writers.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

@Vance Astro said:
" 1.Frank Quitely  2.Steve Dillon 3.Rob Leifeld  "
I used to hate Steve Dillon but he really is awesome.
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By geraldthesloth

Wolverine: Revolver #1
Wolverine: Revolver #1
iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By iLLituracy

Whoever does X-Factor. Someone beat him up.

Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Paragon

Greg Land. At first, I liked him,then I realized everything was too perfect. Then I realized I'd seen those before. Now I don't like him at all. Enough so, that I almost want to drop any title he's on.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Caligula
@geraldthesloth:
Jesus Christ that's bad... I had never seen this art, before but after you posted this I had to see who it was that did it. 
and this guy did Das Pastoras 

he is awful. I take back my previous comment, I think I dislike this artist.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't like Adrian Alphona either.He actually managed to make Mary Jane unappealing.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, since my least favorites are very popular, but...

Mine are: (in no order)

Terry Dodson 
Skottie Young
Yanick Paquette
Bong Dazo
Chris Bachalo 

There's probably more, but I can't think of any.

I'd post pictures but I'm lazy. I'll probably post them another time.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@JediXMan said:
" I'm probably going to get flamed for this, since my least favorites are very popular, but...  Mine are: (in no order)  Terry Dodson  Skottie Young Yanick Paquette Bong DazoChris Bachalo   There's probably more, but I can't think of any.  I'd post pictures but I'm lazy. I'll probably post them another time. "
I'm not going to flame you but Dodson is awesome.
Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Paragon
@Vance Astro said:

" @JediXMan said:

" I'm probably going to get flamed for this, since my least favorites are very popular, but...  Mine are: (in no order)  Terry Dodson  Skottie Young Yanick Paquette Bong DazoChris Bachalo   There's probably more, but I can't think of any.  I'd post pictures but I'm lazy. I'll probably post them another time. "
I'm not going to flame you but Dodson is awesome. "
I'm a fan of Dodson's work too. And Bachalo.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Vance Astro said:
" @JediXMan said:
I think his women look very masculine to me. They all have squared jaws. Not all of them do, but a lot of them I think do.
iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iLLituracy
@JediXMan said:
Dodson, Young, Paquette and Bachalo [on a good day] are solid artists, IMO. To each his own, though.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@JediXMan said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @JediXMan said:
I think his women look very masculine to me. They all have squared jaws. Not all of them do, but a lot of them I think do. "
I don't see what you're seeing..... 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Caligula
@Vance Astro:
They do look kinda Manish in the last pic, I have to say, but the others I don't think so.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Caligula said:
" @Vance Astro: They do look kinda Manish in the last pic, I have to say, but the others I don't think so. "
Where are you from,Brazil?
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Caligula
@Vance Astro said:
" @Caligula said:
" @Vance Astro: They do look kinda Manish in the last pic, I have to say, but the others I don't think so. "
Where are you from,Brazil? "

huh?
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Vance Astro: 

Ok. Maybe not all of them, but a lot do.

I speak of pictures like these:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Caligula said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @Caligula said:
Where are you from,Brazil? "
huh? "
LOL nvm.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@JediXMan said:
" @Vance Astro: 

Ok. Maybe not all of them, but a lot do.

I speak of pictures like these:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
"

Ok..That X-23 is terrible...but the rest of the girls look pretty good.His Psylocke has strong face muscles but he's consistent.That's just how he views Psylocke.The Emma Frost in the picture with X-23 is really good.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Vance Astro: 

Alright. Fair enough, this is true (and, as you said, the X-23 picture is horrible. I think everyone can agree on that). I still don't like it, though. Everything's kinda bulky (example: Nightcrawler's hand). Rogue and Emma were done well, though. I'll say that.
~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
  • Steve Dillon.
  • Kevin Sharpe.
  • Darick Robertson.
  • Rob Liefeld.
  • Greg Land.
  • Frazer Irving.
  • Doug Mahnke.
  • Ed McGuinness.
  • J. Scott Campbell.
  • Frank Quietly.
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By geraldthesloth
@Caligula said:
" @geraldthesloth:
Jesus Christ that's bad... I had never seen this art, before but after you posted this I had to see who it was that did it. 
and this guy did Das Pastoras  he is awful. I take back my previous comment, I think I dislike this artist. "
He's the worst artist period.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@~The Wanderer~ said: 
  • Ed McGuinness.
"
YESSSS! He is terrible at proportions.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@JediXMan said:
" @Vance Astro:   Alright. Fair enough, this is true (and, as you said, the X-23 picture is horrible. I think everyone can agree on that). I still don't like it, though. Everything's kinda bulky (example: Nightcrawler's hand). Rogue and Emma were done well, though. I'll say that. "
That's how Nightcrawler's hands are.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Vance Astro said:
" @JediXMan said:
" @Vance Astro:   Alright. Fair enough, this is true (and, as you said, the X-23 picture is horrible. I think everyone can agree on that). I still don't like it, though. Everything's kinda bulky (example: Nightcrawler's hand). Rogue and Emma were done well, though. I'll say that. "
That's how Nightcrawler's hands are. "
True, they are big. But I still think they look bulky in that picture. Maybe it's me.
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By geraldthesloth
@~The Wanderer~ said:
"
  • Ed McGuinness.
"
Hate cha wando
Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By Watch Dog

1.Frank Quitely
 2.John Romita Jr.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Vance Astro said:
" 1.Frank Quitely
What don't you like about Quintely? 

As for worst most of the Batgirl artists
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Son_of_Magnus said:

" @Vance Astro said:

" 1.Frank Quitely
What don't you like about Quintely?   As for worst most of the Batgirl artists "
All his characters look the same.There is no variety to his work.He also tries to put too much detail into already poorly drawn objects.I've seen maybe one or two artworks from him that I actually liked.Most of his covers aren't that bad.His interior work is garbage.
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CosmicSpiral

About Quitely: 

His artwork is weird because it depends so much on the context of the comic. I read the Millar/Quitely arc of The Authority and I hated it. The writing and drawing made the characters annoying, smug, and absolutely unlikeable. Then I read All-Star Superman and I didn't realize it was the same artist: I enjoyed it. @_@

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@~The Wanderer~ said:

• Darick Robertson.
I understand people disliking Steve Dillion, but Darick is AWESOME.
Peyote13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Peyote13

liefield, he may have created deadpool but he didnt create his personality
besides we all have seen that captain america image
humberto ramos is the 2nd

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By burr787

Have to disagree with Quitely. Yes, his men sometimes look like stroke victims but Batman and Robin was excellent. I also love how he draws women and the level of detail he shows.

I love how you could see her breathing in before she jumps, his art just brings this scene alive.
 I love how you could see her breathing in before she jumps, his art just brings this scene alive.
~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
@TheDrifter said:
" I understand people disliking Steve Dillion, but Darick is AWESOME. "
Not in Authority: Prime.
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#37  Edited By No_Name_

Frank Quitely is one of the few artists actually capable of capturing emotion in his panels. He is one of the most underrated and overlooked in the industry. It's unfortunate that for a lot of people, if it isn't eye candy like J. Scott Campbell, that it isn't good.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#38  Edited By xerox_kitty
@Babs said:
" Frank Quitely is one of the few artists actually capable of capturing emotion in his panels. He is one of the most underrated and overlooked in the industry. It's unfortunate that for a lot of people, if it isn't eye candy like J. Scott Campbell, that it isn't good. "
I can appreciate why people like J Scott Campbell or Frank Quitely...  But personally, I can't stand either of their work.  JSC's style is too loose & cartoony, which is sloppy for a guy who takes years to produce a couple of issues.  While Frank Quitely is a more accomplished artist than JSC, I just don't like the way he makes everyone look grotesque.  People's faces shouldn't look like root vegetables ;)
Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By Night Thrasher
@Babs: I understand the Quitely argument, but I don't particularly care for his work. It seems all of his characters are 80 years old. Not bashing, just not my taste. If I had to pick an artist I really don't like It's the fill-in artist for GoG Wes Craig. His work just seemed waaaaaaaaaaaay too cartoony.
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#40  Edited By No_Name_
@xerox-kitty said:

" @Babs said:

" Frank Quitely is one of the few artists actually capable of capturing emotion in his panels. He is one of the most underrated and overlooked in the industry. It's unfortunate that for a lot of people, if it isn't eye candy like J. Scott Campbell, that it isn't good. "

I can appreciate why people like J Scott Campbell or Frank Quitely...  But personally, I can't stand either of their work.  JSC's style is too loose & cartoony, which is sloppy for a guy who takes years to produce a couple of issues.  While Frank Quitely is a more accomplished artist than JSC, I just don't like the way he makes everyone look grotesque.  People's faces shouldn't look like root vegetables ;) "
LOL @ root vegetables. 

I understand where you're coming from and I think that was evident in the the way he drew Scarlett in Batman and Robin, especially, but I simply love the way he draws movement. 

No one has said Greg Land yet? 
I am not crazy about Aaron Lopresti's style, personally. Particularly in Wonder woman. His covers tend to be considerably better than his interior art, or maybe it was just the inking and colorist for that series? I can't tell.

In Dark Avengers, some of Mike Deodato's work made me uncomfortable, but I couldn't tell if it was the coloring or the penciling.  

Looking at his other work does not give me he same feeling. I think maybe for that title it was the colorist. I just didn't like the majority of the art.

For you guys that are not crazy about Dodson, is it me or has his style changed a LOT over the years? The bone structure on the women are very similar, and in the images posted above it seems as though his Kitty looks too much like Psylocke. The last three images of his I posted below compared to the first two look like the work of a different artist. He does have a distinct style, though, and there is something to be said for that. 

*Is it me or do the last 3 images above look a lot like the work of Adam Hughes?

Artists with a consistent style that I adore, and who's characters look very similar (to further come to Dodson's defense)

Dustin Nguyen is very similar in that his personal style means that a lot of his characters will have similar characteristics. The women tend to have long faces and pronounced chins with slanted eyes, often look very similar. But he is one of my favorite artists, so the argument of similar looking characters does not really work for me since I feel that each artist has his/her own distinct way of drawing. I would rather everything look similar because of an artists personal style than everything looking like a Jim Lee copycat.  

The same can be said for Bruce Timm:

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I can truly say that now I don't have an artist that I don't like or at least can't tolerate(that I recall anyway) , but I used to be on the Quitely hate train  and I also used to hate Scott Kolins' art

Griffin_2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Griffin_2099
@Caligula said:
" Alot of People are goin to say Liefeld. and it's going to turn into a disrespect fest for him again, because all of these little kids who nothing about comics or comics history like post crap like Liefeld sucks, yet Liefeld is a living legend and created some of the best characters in comics. and is the father od Deadpool, Cable, and YoungBlood, as well as one of the original creators of Image comics, and all of these snot nosed kids are gonna trash talk, someone who could draw better than them with his fingers chopped off.  I don't really have an artist I dislike, but there are lots of crappy writers. "
That is rather insulting.  You are basically saying that anyone taht disagrees with you is a no nothing kid.

Liefeld is not my most hated artist but he is certainly up there. I was around when Image started and I read the original New Mutants run (including the first appearance of Cable and Deadpool) Youngblood was terrible, I have the lot and am trying to make sense of most of it.

Liefeld is not a dynamic artist and all of his characters look like they are posing, even during a battle scene. He can not do feet and according to his new stuff on deadpool he has lost the knack of noses.

And yes, if you leave him with two fingers and one eye he would still draw better than me.
Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Night Thrasher
@Griffin_2099 said:
" @Caligula said:
" Alot of People are goin to say Liefeld. and it's going to turn into a disrespect fest for him again, because all of these little kids who nothing about comics or comics history like post crap like Liefeld sucks, yet Liefeld is a living legend and created some of the best characters in comics. and is the father od Deadpool, Cable, and YoungBlood, as well as one of the original creators of Image comics, and all of these snot nosed kids are gonna trash talk, someone who could draw better than them with his fingers chopped off.  I don't really have an artist I dislike, but there are lots of crappy writers. "
That is rather insulting.  You are basically saying that anyone taht disagrees with you is a no nothing kid. Liefeld is not my most hated artist but he is certainly up there. I was around when Image started and I read the original New Mutants run (including the first appearance of Cable and Deadpool) Youngblood was terrible, I have the lot and am trying to make sense of most of it.  Liefeld is not a dynamic artist and all of his characters look like they are posing, even during a battle scene. He can not do feet and according to his new stuff on deadpool he has lost the knack of noses.  And yes, if you leave him with two fingers and one eye he would still draw better than me. "
that's true. I was around when Image started and I don't really care for Liefield either. Not the worst, but far from the best. I used to be a huge Erik Larson fan, but Defenders and Nova kinda got me off of him. Still love Savage Dragon though.
Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44  Edited By Roxanne Starr
@Babs: 

I don't like Dustin...never have. His style has no distinction to it.

But as far as Bruce Timm goes, it doesn't matter that his people look the same. Their indentities are entirely defined by their costumes.
TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheBug

Bruce Timm has a very cool 60s/art deco inspired style, the same could be said about Darwyn Cooke. Gotta love it. 

I don't much care for Ed Benes, he's like a poor man's Jim Lee.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

@JediXMan:
You don't like Bong Dazo, his art for DP MM is so cool
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points