• 57 results
mantraxsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Rank your top 4 favorite books in the order of Favorite to Least Favorite.

For me it follows -

1. Book 3
  2. Book 1
  3. Book 4
  4. Book 2

nathanthecynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By nathanthecynic

4> 3 > 1 > 2

4 for me had Korra's best arc, the best LOK villain and my favourite overall plot.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

3 >> 4 > 1 >> 2

On first viewing of the show, I liked 1 more than 4, but after rewatching the series with some friends, I think I’d place 4 just a hair above 1.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Supreme Marvel

1 > 3 > 4 > 2

Although my 2 favourite episodes of the entire franchise is in season 2. Beginnings part 1 and 2. Everything was sensational! And whenever Iroh showed. Best things about season 2.

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 >> 1 > 4 >> 2

4 and 1 are very close for me and I often alternate between them.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IndomitableRegal
  1. Book 4
  2. Book 3
  3. Book 1
  4. Book 2

Book 4 was my second favorite overall in either show (ATLA Book 3 at no. 1), and Kuvira is my second favorite villain behind only Azula. Book 2 was the weakest overall in either.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cocacolaman  Moderator

3 > 1 > 4 > 2

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4> 3 > 1 > 2

4 for me had Korra's best arc, the best LOK villain and my favourite overall plot.

mantraxsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see nobody likes Book 2.

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheBooyZz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4>>3>1>2

I like book four the most because it was very satisfying the way they were able to wrap up loose ends. Also Korra took something from her boss battle with Kuvira: Compassion.

I like book 3 as a setup for book four and as a way to express the saying "When we hit our lowest point, we become open to the greatest change."

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 > 3 > 4 > 1

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mantraxsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wing_dings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wing_dings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 > 3 > 1 > 2

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 anthp2000  Moderator

Change is definitely my favorite. My favorite type of villains, world class assassin organisation, psychological trauma, unique bending styles, and a very strong addition to the lore, which connected beautifully to everything we knew thus far and everything we'd come to know later. I know a common complaint is that we did not see a more detailed backstory, but I think this is one of the qualities that only add to this season's charm; there's something oddly satisfying about interpreting the limited information of the timeline we have ourselves, as the writers leave them entirely up to our own imagination (at least until they reveal more on these subjects in the future, if they do). I believe this might be the reason that, as a fanbase, the majority likes it the best. There's always room for discussion on it, so many interesting theories that can flourish looking at the characters and their interactions, while everyone can be right. This book also does a great deal to the characters who've been there from the beginning. Tenzin and the New Air Nation, Lin and her family, even Mako and Bolin; all these separate story/character arcs are the best kind of development for the cast, and they are all incorporated in the season theme of change. Practically everything, from each sole individual to the world as a whole, is evolving. Balance and Air are close behind as well, for me. The fourth book is much more emotional, character driven, and likely the best from a writing standpoint, in my opinion. I feel like Korra's character would not be half of what it is without that arc, and I could say the same about the supporting cast, most notably Asami and Suyin. It also had the best animation -- not art style, but animation -- of all. I know the first book is most polarising, but I've always leaned more towards the side that enjoyed it very much. There's something uniquely cinematic about it, a tone that no other season in either show managed to convey so well. It also had the heftiest job, being the direct sequel to the original series, and introducing this entirely new era, society, generation, and technology. Many of the characters were already established because of this book, moving forward, opening way for the excellent stories we see in the last two. Spirits is, to put it gently, the weakest book in the entire franchise, with very few highlights as a saving grace. I now understand and appreciate it a lot more than before, but if you have to rewatch a season half a dozen times, and listen to commentaries over it in order to "get it", then something's not done right.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

3-4-2-1

mantraxsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mantraxsp
anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 anthp2000  Moderator
geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eslay03 said:

3 >> 4 > 1 >> 2

On first viewing of the show, I liked 1 more than 4, but after rewatching the series with some friends, I think I’d place 4 just a hair above 1.

I agree with this.

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 >> 1 > 4 >> 2

4 and 1 are very close for me and I often alternate between them.

Aberdeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 > 4 > 1 > 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-63338e7709476
deactivated-63338e7709476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal:

Book 4 was my second favorite overall in either show (ATLA Book 3 at no. 1)

Interesting. Kinda curious as to why you prefer book 3 of ATLA to book 2? From my perspective at least, book 2 being the best is as close to unanimous a position as most fandoms reach. Interested to hear why you disagree.

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tektonic

@anthp2000 said:

Change is definitely my favorite. My favorite type of villains, world class assassin organisation, psychological trauma, unique bending styles, and a very strong addition to the lore, which connected beautifully to everything we knew thus far and everything we'd come to know later. I know a common complaint is that we did not see a more detailed backstory, but I think this is one of the qualities that only add to this season's charm; there's something oddly satisfying about interpreting the limited information of the timeline we have ourselves, as the writers leave them entirely up to our own imagination (at least until they reveal more on these subjects in the future, if they do). I believe this might be the reason that, as a fanbase, the majority likes it the best. There's always room for discussion on it, so many interesting theories that can flourish looking at the characters and their interactions, while everyone can be right. This book also does a great deal to the characters who've been there from the beginning. Tenzin and the New Air Nation, Lin and her family, even Mako and Bolin; all these separate story/character arcs are the best kind of development for the cast, and they are all incorporated in the season theme of change. Practically everything, from each sole individual to the world as a whole, is evolving. Balance and Air are close behind as well, for me. The fourth book is much more emotional, character driven, and likely the best from a writing standpoint, in my opinion. I feel like Korra's character would not be half of what it is without that arc, and I could say the same about the supporting cast, most notably Asami and Suyin. It also had the best animation -- not art style, but animation -- of all. I know the first book is most polarising, but I've always leaned more towards the side that enjoyed it very much. There's something uniquely cinematic about it, a tone that no other season in either show managed to convey so well. It also had the heftiest job, being the direct sequel to the original series, and introducing this entirely new era, society, generation, and technology. Many of the characters were already established because of this book, moving forward, opening way for the excellent stories we see in the last two.Spirits is, to put it gently, the weakest book in the entire franchise, with very few highlights as a saving grace. I now understand and appreciate it a lot more than before, but if you have to rewatch a season half a dozen times, and listen to commentaries over it in order to "get it", then something's not done right.

Preach, S1 was fantastic(very different) and has such good rewatch quality.

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Change - I loved the Red Lotus, the story, Zaofu. Truly amazing season.
  2. Air/Balance - Character wise, I really enjoyed Mako and Bolin in S1, and S4 with Korra.
  3. Spirits - I liked seeing more of the North and South. ~Water Tribe ~

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 anthp2000  Moderator

@tektonic:

I agree. Everything about it simply feels like one big animated film, instead of a television season. In a way, I always thought of the fact that they weren’t going for a full on series in the beginning as a blessing and a curse — the curse part showing in the second book not being very good compared to the rest of the franchise.

Edgelord91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3> first half of 2> 4>1> second half of 2

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 viking1205  Online

3>=1>4>>>2

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal:

Book 4 was my second favorite overall in either show (ATLA Book 3 at no. 1)

Interesting. Kinda curious as to why you prefer book 3 of ATLA to book 2? From my perspective at least, book 2 being the best is as close to unanimous a position as most fandoms reach. Interested to hear why you disagree.

Really? Because I've always seen people refer to it as the weakest, and I agree. Even above in this thread, it's almost unanimously last. The biggest issue I have with the season is Korra's characterization. She's so horrendously unlikable that her character just never recovered in my eyes. Then you have the very awkward love triangle between Mako, Asami, and Korra. Actually, between Lin and Korra, Mako was a punching bag for most of that Book. There's the introduction of Kya, who...I won't pretend to like, but that's a personal gripe. Then there's Unalaq, who while not a bad villain (better than Ozai), was my least favorite in the four books. The Wan episodes were amazing, probably the best in the season. But it's bad that the best episodes of the season are the ones that pretty much completely diverge from the main plot and characters (yes, I'm aware it still ties in). Lastly -- at least I think lastly -- Giant Spirit Kaiju Battle. Yikes.

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 viking1205  Online

@indomitableregal: I think you misunderstood their question. They asked why you prefer ATLA book 3 over ATLA Book 2, not LoK S2

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking1205: I absolutely misunderstood their question. I had a long day at work...

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

3 > 4 >> 1 >> 2

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Book 1
  2. Book 3
  3. Book 4
  4. Book 2
eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By eslay03

Wait? People think the first half of B2 was better than the second half? I thought B2 only got better as it got more into the spiritual side of Avatar rather than the dull Civil War plot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: Lol. Don't worry, I've probably done that just as much as you have.

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nevesytneves: So to answer the actual question lol, I think Book 3 had a lot of characters' magna opera. Katara has the Puppet Master and Southern Raiders. Sokka has Sokka's Master and The Boiling Rock (the latter of which I would say are Suki's best episodes as well). Then there's The Beach episode with the Fire Nation bunch lol. There's Iroh returning to his Dragon of the West shape and reforming the White Lotus. And it's also the completion of Zuko's overall character arc with him finally joining the Gaang. Apart from all that, I think Sozin's Comet beats out the Day of Black Sun episodes (not that that's a knock to those at all). Azula vs. Zuko in Agni Kai was one of the highlights of the franchise imo. Basically, as good as Book 2 was, I think Book 3 was better. Not to mention...Book 3 had the Melon Lord. The Melon Lord!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: Those are all fair reasons. I just personally feel like book 2 has the highest number of standout episodes/greatest consistency, and there are aspects of S3 that I find disappointing as a finale (e.g the resolution to Aang's arc was completely botched). I also think that book 2 is Zuko at his best, and he's my favourite character in the series, so that automatically makes me lean in favour of it.

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nevesytneves: Fair enough. I thought Aang should've killed Ozai, but I still appreciated the route they chose to go with energybending, especially since ATLA has never been as open with outright killing as LoK (which IIRC is part of why it got moved to online only).

Why is Book 2 Zuko your preference?

SamHerkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never watched the show, but should?

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By killbilly  Moderator

Book 1 > Book 3 > Book 4 > Book 2.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 killbilly  Moderator

I never watched the show, but should?

It's pretty good. I'd recommend it.

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 killbilly  Moderator

@chloros said:

@killbilly: What about Book 4?

Ah, accidently put "Book 3" in place of "Book 4."

MrGetMeBodied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 4 Korra's recovery is the best television I have seen, Giant Mech fight was incredible

Book 3 Red lotus, First and only Air on Air battle

Book 1 & 2

I'd have to say book 2 was amazing, but I'd have to place it last as well. I definitely think people underrate S2, and a lot of the criticism are as bullshit as most of the criticism of the entire show, but It's not my favorite.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: It's not even whether Aang should have killed Ozai or not that bothers me. I would have been fine either way. But Aang stripping him of his powers feels like an easy copout and undermines his core character conflict.

As for Zuko, I feel like book 2 is probably his biggest period of introspective growth and adds the most substance to his character. It's hard to watch because he keeps disappointing you by making bad choices, but at the same point you can understand why he's making them, and they bring him no real satisfaction, which helps him grow and is really compelling to watch. There's not really many characters I can say I've felt the same way about in fiction.

frijacks12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000:

Change is definitely my favorite. My favorite type of villains, world class assassin organisation, psychological trauma, unique bending styles, and a very strong addition to the lore, which connected beautifully to everything we knew thus far and everything we'd come to know later.

change is mine aswell. it's the most interesting, some of the best villians, and just... just the red lotus is cool.

3>>1>4>2

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Book 4: Balance
  2. Book 2: Spirits
  3. Book 1: Air
  4. Book 3: Change

Book 2 and 4 are close, as well as 1 and 3. The former two simply had the best character writing and themes overall, IMO. Especially surrounding Korra. Which is my favorite aspect of the show. I also seem to strongly disagree with the complaints against them. Book 1 sets a lot of the groundwork, and feels the most focused in it's story. Placing it above book 3, which feels the most aimless. The latter gives some solid development, though; most notably to Mako and Tenzin. And the final 3 episodes are among the show's best.

Overall a very consistent show - comparable, if not superior, to TLA for me.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

1. Book 3
  2. Book 4
  3. Book 1
  4. Book 2