• 53 results
#1 Posted by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio

Original article here

Let's get something very important out of the way first: I love Zack Snyder's Man of Steel and I've grown to really like the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Some of you probably just left this page, some of you are totally judging me but still reading, and some of you are happy to meet another fan of those polarizing films. Because of this, I'm going into Justice League with a completely different mindset than many people. I'm obviously keeping an open mind every time I see a new movie, but I'm hoping for a balance that wins over the people critical of the DC Extended Universe and keeps pre-existing DCEU fans happy. I imagine many people out there want something that feels nothing like MoS and BvS.

Look, I completely understand why some people don't enjoy MoS and BvS and it's totally understandable that the studio wants to move in a direction that will earn critical acclaim and praise from a majority of fans. I get it, and Wonder Woman appeared to be the first step in the DCEU's new direction, which is clearly being led by Geoff Johns. Justice League is the second step, and I'm happy to say that it's a very entertaining movie; however, as someone who appreciates MoS and BvS, it is a little difficult not feeling like they're trying a little too hard to "course correct" during a few points. These are extremely brief moments, so those who don't share my opinion of Snyder's DC films likely won't mind and may even love 'em. Those who do share my love for MoS and BvS UE may also feel like the film goes a little too light at times to earn a laugh from the audience.

The overall story is nothing out of the ordinary and that's perfectly fine because this story isn't really about Steppenwolf trying to destroy the planet; it's about the heroes improving themselves and joining forces - that's what's important. Steppenwolf leaps into the picture and he has one simple role: Be a big and seriously formidable dude. I think he plays that role well while we get basic info about him. He's not someone I cared about, but he did entertain and his presence had my mind racing about all of the cosmic possibilities for the future of the DCEU. He's never as intimidating or engaging as Michael Shannon's General Zod - few villains are, though - but he's there to pose a threat and he absolutely delivers. That said, I was hoping for a little more when the conflict wrapped up, but that's a small, personal complaint. The film feels like it's playing things a little too safe and predictable at times, but it's entertaining throughout the whole ride. As for Steppenwolf's CGI, it never dropped my jaw like the visuals from the rebooted Apes films did, but it never felt too fake to me, either.

Everyone's going to walk out of the theater with different favorite heroes. Thanks to his lovable and awkward banter, the Flash (Ezra Miller) is going to become very popular and I can't wait for the potential Flashpoint film. If you loved Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, you definitely still will; Ray Fisher's Cyborg is critical to the story and I love his growth and chemistry with Flash; Jason Momoa's Aquaman will make you believe that a man can swim - the dude's good fun. Ben Affleck's Batman still makes me want to cheer whenever I see a cool shot of the Caped Crusader and, if you didn't understand how he changed at the end of BvS, you will in this film. Again, I stand by that guy as a great Bruce Wayne and Batman - hopefully he sticks around for Matt Reeves' upcoming Batman film.

While Cyborg, Wonder Woman, and Batman receive some extra insight, Aquaman and Flash have dialogue dedicated to quickly teasing their origins - it's basically "go see their solo films" and I'm totally fine with that because, as a fan of both characters, it feels like a super brief teaser for both of their movies. Please don't read too much into that! I don't mean to imply there are huge reveals or anything, I'm just saying it's cool seeing a scene or two revolve around Flash and his father as well as Aquaman and Mera. I had the same feeling watching Batman fighting a Parademon in Gotham. It's surreal that we're witnessing this on the big screen!

What can I say about Superman without blatantly spoiling anything? Well, I guess I can say that we do see more of the Man of Steel than I expected and I really enjoyed it. If you consider yourself a fan of the Last Son of Krypton, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy, even if you didn't enjoy MoS and BvS. To keep spoiler-free, I'll leave it at that, but I'm really excited to talk about those moments after the film opens!There are a few surprises and I sincerely hope you're able avoid spoilers before seeing the movie. There are so many times I had goosebumps and wanted to applaud. Whether it was a simple namedrop or witnessing something completely unexpected, I had a total blast. I can't elaborate because, well, spoilers, but both credits scenes are amazing and for entirely different reasons, too. That said, several promising moments from the trailers didn't make the cut. Hopefully we'll see them in a potential extended edition!

Director Tim Burton's Batman (1989) was my introduction to the Dark Knight so the film and its music holds a very special place in my heart. Because of that, it's tough not to have a fanboy moment when I heard a sample of Batman's classic theme in this movie. It immediately made me think of how big of a role this character has had in my life and how amazing it is to still be awe-struck by the fictional hero. The second time I heard a sample of the theme during a Batmobile scene, it took me out of the moment. Instead of this general feeling of witnessing something larger than life, I was left comparing this new Batmobile scene to the one from 1989. You may agree, you may not. Who knows, this is all subjective, right? Hans Zimmer's score also makes a brief appearance and boy, that really made me miss it. Obviously, I mean no disrespect to the talented Danny Elfman, but Zimmers' music has played such a big role in this cinematic universe and it's so powerful. Its absence is definitely felt, but Elfman's score does feel appropriate at times for the "lighter" direction.

Did you like Zack Snyder's other DC movies? Go see Justice League, but you may think it doesn't have the same emotional impact as the other films. Did you not like Zack Snyder's DC movies but you enjoyed Wonder Woman? Go see Justice League and hopefully you'll feel more optimistic about the future of the DCEU. Basically, if you're a human, I think you should go see Justice League. The plot won't blow your mind and the film doesn't take any risks but it's a very good time at the movies and there's plenty of fan service and teasers for the future of the DCEU. This one's all about the selling us on the heroes and I'd say it delivered. This cinematic universe is still so young and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for us, especially after witnessing that credits scene...

#2 Posted by All-Father (4836 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice review, objective and unbiased.

I dig it.

#3 Posted by FangDaNerd (1119 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice!

#4 Posted by StormShadow_X (13564 posts) - - Show Bio

I was worried about Cyborg but hereing from a comic fan that he wasn't all that bad gives me hope that one day he'll earn his spot to casual and hardcore fans alike on the JL and as a DC a lister.

#5 Posted by Eto (3806 posts) - - Show Bio

Great review! Saturday evening, I'll be seeing it. The hype is real.

#6 Posted by BobLeGod (465 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate that they're taking the marvel route an feel the need to put in jokes left and right and take away from the serious tone.

#7 Posted by Charan_ (741 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice review, I am even more excited now.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#8 Edited by plotweapon16255 (1032 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice review!

#9 Edited by ComicMan24 (147977 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh, I was a bit worried that they might try to incorporate some more MCU elements in order to make it more audience-friendly, I personally liked how they went for something different but since you say that those are brief, I suppose I am ok with it. So you got to watch it earlier. Lucky you. I won't get to see it until next week even though it is going to be released here this Thursday. And nice review.

@k4tzm4n said:

I love Zack Snyder's Man of Steel and I've grown to really like the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για aquaman justice league my man gif

#10 Posted by saintwildcard (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, still won't see it

#11 Posted by Heatforce (3256 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by saintwildcard (20343 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by MightyKalEl (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

Good review, looking forward to the movie.

#14 Posted by Ianosm (64 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: guy who 'loved' the first two pretty widely critically panned films says he loves the third film. Shocker.

#15 Posted by BabyDarkseid (1907 posts) - - Show Bio

im extremely hyped

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#16 Posted by buttersdaman000 (20747 posts) - - Show Bio

Your opening paragraph instilled a little hope in me. I hope I like it as much as you did lol

#17 Posted by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio
@ianosm said:

@k4tzm4n: guy who 'loved' the first two pretty widely critically panned films says he loves the third film. Shocker.

Didn't say I love this one overall, and Herman Schultz isn't in it.

Your opening paragraph instilled a little hope in me. I hope I like it as much as you did lol

Hopefully you do.

Good review, looking forward to the movie.

Thank you.

Nah, still won't see it

Okay? I mean, you're disappointed with the handling of Superman in BvS, correct? I think you'd be happy with this one. I mean, I think even @lvenger may find the strength to call this movie "okay." and say something like "it's about time they got Superman right" :)

Nice review, objective and unbiased.

I dig it.

Thank you very much.

I was worried about Cyborg but hereing from a comic fan that he wasn't all that bad gives me hope that one day he'll earn his spot to casual and hardcore fans alike on the JL and as a DC a lister.

What were you concerns about Cyborg? I'm sure he'll become more popular after this movie.

Tbh, I was a bit worried that they might try to incorporate some more MCU elements in order to make it more audience-friendly, I personally liked how they went for something different but since you say that those are brief, I suppose I am ok with it. So you got to watch it earlier. Lucky you. I won't get to see it until next week even though it is going to be released here this Thursday. And nice review.

@k4tzm4n said:

I love Zack Snyder's Man of Steel and I've grown to really like the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

I can't pretend to know which lighthearted moments are Joss or Zack, but a few of them felt too light. You know how people say more serious moments are ruined by jokes in the MCU? I had that feeling during one scene - it's only a few seconds. I'll be spoiler-free and just say it's something Batman says by the Superman memorial. Still, they're brief.

#18 Posted by JokerBat88 (828 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Awesome review. I can't believe they used the classic batman music. That has me tingling. I look forward to seeing the movie. Thanks for a great review.

#19 Edited by ComicMan24 (147977 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Yeah, I am one those people. They can feel rather distracting at times. But I'll suurvive lol In a scale of 10, how would you rate this movie?

#20 Posted by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Awesome review. I can't believe they used the classic batman music. That has me tingling. I look forward to seeing the movie. Thanks for a great review.

Thank you. It's a great moment the first time it's used. Let me know how you feel about it if you hear it the second time, though!

#21 Posted by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Yeah, I am one those people. They can feel rather distracting at times. But I'll suurvive lol In a scale of 10, how would you rate this movie?

I think a 7.5 or an 8 would be fair. If I was reviewing based on this site's system, it would be 4 stars.

#22 Posted by Mrnoital (6938 posts) - - Show Bio

@saintwildcard: its hilarious how you talk as if you hate it and want to avoid the DCEU

but then you desperately seek out and comment on any thread about it

Avatar image for theawesomeflashsandiego32
#23 Edited by theawesomeflashSanDiego32 (1792 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Is Falash actually fast and capable in a battle?

#24 Posted by lukehero (34542 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's get something very important out of the way first: I love Zack Snyder's Man of Steel and I've grown to really like the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

No Caption Provided

#25 Posted by Farkam (10567 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay.

#26 Posted by MAZAHS117 (9813 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice review/blog 👍

#27 Posted by the_stegman (38954 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna see it ASAP!

#28 Edited by jumpstart55 (10531 posts) - - Show Bio

So Superman finally gets the Justice he deserves.

I am so freaking excited for this movie.

#29 Posted by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Is Falash actually fast and capable in a battle?

I think the trailers make it clear that this version of the Flash isn't an amazing fighter or tactician yet. He's incredibly intelligent, but he's still new to all of this. Really can't say any more than that.

@lukehero said:

Let's get something very important out of the way first: I love Zack Snyder's Man of Steel and I've grown to really like the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

No Caption Provided

Ha!

Nice review/blog 👍

Thank you.

So Superman finally gets the Justice he deserves.

I am so freaking excited for this movie.

Yeah, I think everyone will like Superman, regardless of how they feel about MoS/BvS.

#30 Posted by saintwildcard (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:
@saintwildcard said:

Nah, still won't see it

Okay? I mean, you're disappointed with the handling of Superman in BvS, correct? I think you'd be happy with this one. I mean, I think even Lvenger may find the strength to call this movie "okay." and say something like "it's about time they got Superman right" :)

That's not how it works for me. The story they wanted to tell with Superman is ruined after BvS. BvS made him so unlikable and how it handled all of his plot lines was such hot garbage that it's left a giant hole in his story. Everything leading up to his death and how the entire "Superman vs the world" storyline was handled was integral to me buying him as more upbeat icon.... but even then not to the degree that I'm hearing. Some of the lines that are being leaked *muah* such spicy garbage.

Superman's resolution in BvS for not being a bitch was also dumb as hell (but then again his reason for always being mopey wasn't solid either). So now that he's coming back being all happy and cracking terrible one liners... it's just jarring to see such an extreme contrast. I don't buy him being happy and on top of that this all sound like Avengers One levels of bad humor. It's like if you went from a Dramatic Movie about a battered housewife, starring that same housewife but now in a Romantic Comedy, you would say that's a weird change up.

Seeing them try and jump so many steps and act like this is all natural is just infuriating from a story telling angle. It's not just about him being an Icon, it was always about the journey.

#31 Posted by saintwildcard (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:

@saintwildcard: its hilarious how you talk as if you hate it and want to avoid the DCEU

but then you desperately seek out and comment on any thread about it

I'm bored. I don't read DC since REbirth, and I mostly talk in PM's. I gotta do something to keep my post count up

#32 Posted by Causeimbatman (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

So it's just a fun funny entertaining movie?

#33 Posted by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio

@saintwildcard: Not to be rude, but it doesn't seem like you're interested in having an actual conversation about it when you're talking like that, especially when you're harshly judging potential lines without hearing them in context or their delivery.

#34 Posted by ComicMan24 (147977 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Really? I see. That's good to know. Btw, how did you to watch it earlier?

#35 Posted by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Really? I see. That's good to know. Btw, how did you to watch it earlier?

I had very lucky timing. Justice League posted about fan screenings and I was able to sign up for two tickets before they vanished.

So it's just a fun funny entertaining movie?

Yes, but I think it'll be more than that for people who love the characters. We'll see!

#36 Posted by Causeimbatman (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Thanks then. Now I'm sure not to see it in The theatres

#37 Edited by saintwildcard (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@saintwildcard: Not to be rude, but it doesn't seem like you're interested in having an actual conversation about it when you're talking like that, especially when you're harshly judging potential lines without hearing them in context or their delivery.

You're original response was that I would see Superman being happy and iconic or whatever, most of my argument has to do with why it doesn't matter to me.

Cut out my criticisms of JL, since I haven't seen it, and my point still stands. I'm not invested in Superman's journey because of BvS, and him being happy and iconic isn't going to fix it but remind me even more about how terrible the transition is. Barring a ton of retcons to BvS, I don't see how JL can fix anything for me. I'll just end up reading the spoilers online.

#38 Edited by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio

@saintwildcard: I said I think you'd be happy with how they handled Superman, not that Superman's iconic/happy. :)

Superman's more vocal and there's clearly growth, but it's not like it feels like a totally new character. BvS was all about Superman questioning whether or not his presence truly helps or hurts the world. It's tough not to question that when showing up results in the death of everyone around you. He knows he wants to help but he wasn't sure if he actually was. Now, he knows the world needs him.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
#39 Edited by TheLastDragonborn (2120 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by saintwildcard (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@saintwildcard: I said I think you'd be happy with how they handled Superman, not that Superman's iconic/happy. :)

Superman's more vocal and there's clearly growth, but it's not like it feels like a totally new character. BvS was all about Superman questioning whether or not his presence truly helps or hurts the world. It's tough not to question that when showing up results in the death of everyone around you. He knows he wants to help but he wasn't sure if he actually was. Now, he knows the world needs him.

Too late for that. It's a package deal, Snyder wants this to be a movie trilogy so I gotta count it as one story. So like I said, barring a ton of retcons it won't matter to me.

That bolded part actually makes his character worse for me. It goes back to how BvS handled the "Superman vs the World" aspect, which IMO it didn't go far enough and Lex's plan actually took away from that storyline because it was only via his actions that Superman was facing any real scrutiny. Zack Snyder hyped it up as him getting blamed for even the little things due to the fear of humanity, which was not in the movie at all. And this notion that everywhere he goes death follows was not in the movie as you claim it was, because it was only really a problem in Africa (the senate scene is it's own separate scenario that takes place after all the whining) but that didn't play out in any of the TV debates, which he saw and kept getting upset over. And then every scene of him whining and crying was about people talking about him as a concept and not about his actions. So when I read that line, all I think is that now that people like him he can be happy, which just makes him out to be a terrible character.

#41 Posted by MonsterStomp (35426 posts) - - Show Bio

I appreciate the spoiler-free review, but was it good? I feel like the word "entertaining" gets thrown around when people don't want to say its anything but underwhelming. Tranformers 2 was entertaining, but even I know that's a subpar film from a technical standpoint.

#42 Edited by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio
@monsterstomp said:

I appreciate the spoiler-free review, but was it good? I feel like the word "entertaining" gets thrown around when people don't want to say its anything but underwhelming. Tranformers 2 was entertaining, but even I know that's a subpar film from a technical standpoint.

Good is totally subjective. I mean, if you're asking me to take away my personal opinion about these characters, then I'd likely think it's an okay film that does nothing to stand apart from other comic book movies as it plays it incredibly safe and predictable but offers some good chemistry between characters and one very memorable action sequence. BUT, if you do have interest in the DC Universe and its characters, that'll likely boost your appreciation and allow the film's strengths to overcome the less impressive parts.

#43 Posted by MonsterStomp (35426 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by lvenger (33527 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n:

Okay? I mean, you're disappointed with the handling of Superman in BvS, correct? I think you'd be happy with this one. I mean, I think even @lvenger may find the strength to call this movie "okay." and say something like "it's about time they got Superman right" :)

WHO DARES USE MY NAME IN VAIN TO PRAISE THE DCEU?!! I SHALL VISIT A THOUSANDFOLD PLAGUE ON YOUR HOUSE FOR THIS BLASPHEMY!

Jokes aside, it would take a considerable amount of changes for me to actually like a Snyder helmed DCEU film. I think you might know some of my thoughts on how much I dislike the DCEU Superman for straying from what I actually like about the character. Thus far, I haven't been too impressed with the JL trailers, though they haven't been as infuriatingly bad as BvS' were, so that's something. I still like Wonder Woman though.

#45 Edited by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@k4tzm4n:

WHO DARES USE MY NAME IN VAIN TO PRAISE THE DCEU?!! I SHALL VISIT A THOUSANDFOLD PLAGUE ON YOUR HOUSE FOR THIS BLASPHEMY!

Jokes aside, it would take a considerable amount of changes for me to actually like a Snyder helmed DCEU film. I think you might know some of my thoughts on how much I dislike the DCEU Superman for straying from what I actually like about the character. Thus far, I haven't been too impressed with the JL trailers, though they haven't been as infuriatingly bad as BvS' were, so that's something. I still like Wonder Woman though.

Well, do your best to keep an open mind and we'll see how you feel once you've watched the film. Hopefully you enjoy it. If not, take joy in knowing that the DCEU's future will be very different from the films you did not enjoy.

#46 Posted by ComicMan24 (147977 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Edited by Gotoucanario (2857 posts) - - Show Bio

Would you say there was a balance between the fun and serious moments when the movie called for it? In a scale from Ragnarok to Logan.

#48 Edited by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio

Would you say there was a balance between the fun and serious moments when the movie called for it? In a scale from Ragnarok to Logan.

If those are the two options, it leans much closer to Thor: Ragnarok.

#49 Posted by Gotoucanario (2857 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:
@gotoucanario said:

Damn.

#50 Edited by k4tzm4n (40565 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotoucanario said:
@k4tzm4n said:
@gotoucanario said:

Damn.

I think Peter Travers' review says it best: "sometimes shadows need to fall to show us what to be scared of. In the end, this all-star team-up is too afraid of the dark to work its way into our dreams." Variety said, "The new DC Comics movie is the anti-'Batman v Superman': a superhero epic that's more light than dark, and the essence of generic competence."