Justice League Dark: Apokolips War --- what do you think of it?

• 52 results
Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Limitless82

So, I have just watched Apokolips War, the latest DC animated film, one word - WOW!!! While the film has it's usual typical DCAMU flaws such as average tv-quality animation, cardboard-dry dubbing, lack of character development (for new viewers anyway), pacing too rushed and the final solution was predictable, overall, I found the story/plot to be bold, surprising and bonker! Not to mention all the carnage, death and Darkseid vs Trigon, nice! This is essentially DC animated film-verse's Infinity War/Endgame compacted into one.

So, have you guys seen it? And what do you guys think? What are the highlights for you?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wolfrazer  Online

Just finished watching it, pretty great! Though I do have some questions.

1. What was Stewart planning on doing? Just recharge his ring to continue to fight or? That also said, you think he'd be faster on saying the final line, there was ample enough time.

2. The Paradooms seem inconsistent or is that just me?

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: so John was planning on absorbing the whole lantern, similar to Hal in his solo movies , maybe even turn into parallax

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the best way to end a movie series , the way everywthing came together..... just to comeback to the original point... monumental

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wolfrazer  Online

@darkonast: Ah.

Also I kinda had a hard time just where Darkseid's power is suppose to be. I mean he lays waste to the entire GL Corps and Guardians...he fights Trigon...but he struggles against Superman?

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vishop_

@limitless82 said:

So, I have just watched Apokolips War, the latest DC animated film, one word - WOW!!! While the film has it's usual typical DCAU flaws such as average tv-quality animation, cardboard-dry dubbing, lack of character development (for new viewers anyway), pacing too rushed and the final solution was predictable, overall, I found the story/plot to be bold, surprising and bonker! Not to mention all the carnage, death and Darkseid vs Trigon, nice! This is essentially DC animated film-verse's Infinity War/Endgame compacted into one.

So, have you guys seen it? And what do you guys think? What are the highlights for you?

This is becoming a trend right now to make a grim and apocalyptic film and it automatically becomes a mature and realistic film but overall I think this was the best DCAMU adaptation and I enjoyed Trigon vs Darkseid as well. Actually I believe it did the right thing of doing it in a single film instead of dragging it as Endgame did.

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: I felt the same at first .... but I kinda realized , he was supposed to symbolize hope , the minute he got angry and remember he was fighting for the deaths of *you know who* (im on my phone sorry) , he started going toe to toe .... but you could clearly see darkseid was still winning fairly easily

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

@darkonast: Hmm...yeah I guess that’s true.

On another note though can the Green Lanterns do anything at all other than get their butts kicked? Like they wield supposedly the most powerful weapon in the universe...but from what I’ve seen in these movies it’s...they do nothing.

Like I can’t even remember Hal doing much of anything and he’s supposed to have the strongest will right? What kind of Galactic Force is this if they don’t do anything?

Sorry went on a rant there, it’s just super annoying.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: I think the direction DCAU decided to go was to show that this is a younger version of hal & John Stewart, and problem is their opponents so far have been Doomsday (a dude who slaughtered the whole JL & killed superman) , Darkseid twice (dude beat the everlasting shit out of JL twice) & a Trigon who can only be beat by his daughter, had the movies been a tv show , we would of seen Hal, Kilowog & the John Stewart in full action

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wolfrazer  Online

@darkonast: I guess that’s true. Poor Kilowog and John tho... I still think he had enough time.

Viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked how Darkseid's character was portrayed, a tyrant, dictator and a completely evil maniac. Those flashback scenes and Oa scenes did justice to show how bad he is.

Liked Constantine, Raven and Clark's journey. All three had different problems, especially John and Clark after what happened in the flashbacks.

The fight between Superman possessed by Trigon and Darkseid was good and the former bringing DS on his knees in a matter of seconds.

Felt Harley Quinn being forced into the story honestly. I expected moreBatgod scenes in the film, not in the way we got, so that's a small disappointment.

Wish we had seen more from Lanterns.

Overall movie is a decent watch.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to be that guy but it's not DCAU.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer:

@wolfrazer: so John was planning on absorbing the whole lantern, similar to Hal in his solo movies , maybe even turn into parallax

Yeah that was the feeling I got from that scene, or at least, I hoped he absorb the power of whole lantern since everyone else are dead, turn into an OP lantern and stall Darkseid longer for the other team, but alas, John didn't had such heroic chance. It was still a good scene..a sad heartbreaking scene to see him gone out like that.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:

This is becoming a trend right now to make a grim and apocalyptic film and it automatically becomes a mature and realistic film but overall I think this was the best DCAMU adaptation and I enjoyed Trigon vs Darkseid as well. Actually I believe it did the right thing of doing it in a single film instead of dragging it as Endgame did.

Yeah I do enjoy this film quite a lot. Out of this new wave of DCAMU collection, Flashpoint Paradox was probably my favourite, but this is a good way to wrap it up.

This film also give me Dark Night Metal vibe, I hope one day that storyline get adapted on screen too.

war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watch it. Few points

- I hate how they make GL fodders, literally. Even the most prominent GLs got slaughters in seconds and seriously, fucking lava can turn a GL into dust, lol.

-Once again, DC only gives the spotlight to their Trinity(they're the only original leaguers to have prominent roles) It's so fucking boring. That moment when Batman was in the ominous shadow, I rolled my eyes. I mean, 1. It's supposed to surprise me or what? and, 2. it's him again? He has his own solos movies already, why not give someone else a chance to shine?

-It's surprisingly gory. I don't think I need to see someone intestine.

-Trigon vs Darkseid is awesome.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Damn, this film was bonkers.

The stuff I liked:

Superman: This guy was the blandest jock on the roster when this universe started and yet in the course of the last 3 or so movies turned in to a serious badass. By far my favorite character in this film and even the universe as a whole. I'll just pretend that he wasn't part of the initial batch of films.

Vader Batman: The Mobius chair stuff was done right here. No wandering around like a moron thinking about Joker.

He also gives Damian a beat down, yay. I like Damian, even this one so dont bite me.

Darkseid: He was one dimensional but this is firmly his movie, he's treated with respect.

Damian and Raven's stories come full circle. Perfect character arcs for both of them. I also liked Bane's design a lot. I know it technically made its debut in Hush but I preferred the musculature and posture here. It's a great design and I think it would be a waste if it doesn't continue to be used in animation or gets incorporated in to the comics. Its easily my favorite Bane design in animation, the one in the Harley Quinn show comes second.

Cons:

A lot of characters were ultimately wasted. I know the lead characters got their due but this universe will ultimately have to carry the stigma of wasted potential

The action was kinda meh, too repetitive, basic and broken down between various scenes.

Ending was too depressive, I know this universe generates mixed reaction but atleast give its fans something to be cheerful about with its conclusion.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m just mad about what they did to Zatanna

The movie was a solid watch and it was enjoyable 6-7/10 tbh

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

Hold up, speaking of Batman and the Mobius chair. Did something happen to Metron in one of the previous movies? Or was he just not there at all?

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: darkseid killed him , it was hinted that during his conquest, Metron was one of his first victims

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wolfrazer  Online
Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Limitless82

@emmafrostxmen: yeah pity with Zantana indeed. The title says Justice League Dark, but really, the only significant JLD member in the film is John.

Although, in hindsight, I suppose one can also interpret that "dark" could be referring to how dark the tone of this film is..

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

Movie was a fun time, unlike Trigon being included. Interested to see what's next.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@limitless82: either way I don’t like John, he’s boring and there are other characters that fill his sarcastic/smart role better

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to watch it only because of John Constantine but didn't. Is it good?

SpongeGar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate how little screen time and powerless the lanterns were but overall it’s entertaining

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate how little screen time and powerless the lanterns were but overall it’s entertaining

Not to mention almost half the Justice League was slaughtered with filler panels and also included Suicide Squad. It was cynical but it was still better than other DCAMU films.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_of_light_2814: Aha okay, thanks.

And yeah, GL definitely underused in all DCAMU films. I guess they are still suffering for the sin for the live-action movie more than a decade on.... hopefully WB use them better in the future reboot.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to watch it only because of John Constantine but didn't. Is it good?

If you are a Constantine fan then you should definitely watch it, in a way, this is his film because John had more screen time than everyone else (argubly including superman)! And his role is vital in the plot too.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@limitless82: either way I don’t like John, he’s boring and there are other characters that fill his sarcastic/smart role better

I don't mind him but would have preferred Zantana. On the upside, it was good to see Swarm Thing wrecked shop, as brief as it was.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EmmaFrostXmen
Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Wolfrazer  Online

@emmafrostxmen said:

I don't mind him but would have preferred Zantana. On the upside, it was good to see Swarm Thing wrecked shop, as brief as it was.

Only thing I don't get is...what took him so long? Shouldn't he have known that the Earth and thus the Green was dying?...Seems weird that he didn't do anything beforehand.

MandrakksFang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was garbage. Glad that shared universe is dead.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only thing I don't get is...what took him so long? Shouldn't he have known that the Earth and thus the Green was dying?...Seems weird that he didn't do anything beforehand.

Yeah I wondered the same thing. My understanding is that Swarm Thing did not care if the humans live or die so he didn't interfer previously. As for the lava drilling, these occured pretty recently so he didn't catch on quick enough, not realising the true intent of those towers. But yeah, there are a few gaping question marks throughout the film, ie. what was Clark doing in these two years? What were the green lantern corps doing these two years, surely they would have learnt about the demise of JL and conquered Earth, why didn't they do anything?

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HappyLife1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was okay, though a bit too "full throttle" at times. I also got a bit confused about everyone being pissed at and blaming Superman for Darkseid conquering the earth. I mean, it was going to happen, they literally could see Darkseid teleporting Apokolips to the edge of the solar system and sending out scouts to get his invasion ready. Superman might have preempted the battle, but the war was right at earth's doorstep and was gonna happen no matter what. Nothing would have changed the way it concluded since Darkseid just straight-up steamrolled everyone with his Paradooms.

I've always appreciated DC's more mature premise and content (particularly when compared to Marvel) but it's starting to feel like they're being gory and brutal just for the sake of being gory and brutal.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They finally treated Darkseid well

Avatar image for incalculablefor
IncalculableFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good movie many flaws but you’ll onlysee the flaws if you’ve read comics from a person who hasnt read a comic it probably the greatest movie they’ve seen.

It could’ve been better if barry triggering another flash point caused dr. Manhattan to realise there’s another universe out there creating DCAU Rebirth but nah they didn’t do that.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could’ve been better if barry triggering another flash point caused dr. Manhattan to realise there’s another universe out there creating DCAU Rebirth but nah they didn’t do that.

They might be saving that for the reboot.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Heatforce

@reactor: well really the only ones to blame supes was John and Damian. They were projecting their negative emotions onto him because he is the available target. That's why Clark never reacted aggressively. He knew they were hurting. That's my take on it.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: my question is what did Darkseid use to make Doomsday besides Clark's dna? He obviously wasn't made from a parademon and the paradooms are much weaker than Doomsday 🤔

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce: I genuinely don’t know the answer to that question