Just how heavy was the beam Cap lifted in TWS?

• 109 results
ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15:

Personally, I like this breakdown for the feat. The math seems to check out.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RBT

The beam was probably about 10 tons, but Cap lifted it a couple inches of the ground. That does not make him a 10 tonner.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

The beam was probably about 10 tons, but Cap lifting it a couple inches of the ground. That does not make him a 10 tonner.

I too think 50 tonnes is far fetched

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15 said:
@rbt said:

The beam was probably about 10 tons, but Cap lifting it a couple inches of the ground. That does not make him a 10 tonner.

There is no way that weighed 50 tons.

Avatar image for lord_adamantium
Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lord_Adamantium

There is no way of quantifying the weight because it is probably made of some super-light material considering it is used on an aircraft.

The 50 ton calculation is a fallacy because they used steel in the equation and aircraft use titanium alloys and aluminum alloys to make them lighter, and for all we know that "beam" could be carbon fiber or some high-tech polymer but from the gash it looks shiny and metallic which would jibe with a titanium or aluminum alloy.

My guess is that it weighs somewhere around 5 tons max.

antiwhipped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably mid range between 50 tons and 10 tons. So his lower end calculation of 35 tons seems close.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deltahuman

yeah what this guy said above is true. The beam could weigh 10 tonnes or 15 tonnes but Cap just lifted it couple of inches above. doesn't make him a 10 tonner. Off course Cap was shot stabbed and fought a super soldier just moments ago so he might have been weak and exhausted so this feat is still huge for him. I guess MCU cap could deadlift 3-4 tonnes if he's at his prime.. which means not exhausted and with adrenaline. That still qualifies him to be a low tier superhuman which is beyond doubts.

TheSuperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

30-35 tons

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some dude explains it in a YouTube vid.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cap didn't even lift the full weight of it he leveraged it up lifting a portion of the weight. If there's a bar with weights on each side and you lift up one side of the bar you're not lifting all the weight of the bar just because of the total weight.

Tayssti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tayssti
@thorthunder98 said:

Cap didn't even lift the full weight of it he leveraged it up lifting a portion of the weight. If there's a bar with weights on each side and you lift up one side of the bar you're not lifting all the weight of the bar just because of the total weight.

He was very close to being in the middle of the beam. It is not like the example you are giving. For it to be like you are saying he would have to be at the end of one of the sides.

I estimated with some calcs a while ago and it looked to weigh around the 10+ ton range and he was heavily injured while doing it. Like others have said though this doesn't make him a 10+ tonner. This feat combined with his others show hes definitely a multi tonner superhuman though. I'd say hes around a 3-5 tonner MAX.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tayssti: I know all I'm saying is he wasn't lifting the whole weight of the beam he was lifting a portion of it off the ground while the other side was still touching the floor it's not like he pressed it above his head. It's still a good feat but I've seen people say he basically dead lifted the whole weight of the beam when he didn't

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's still a low tier superhuman no matter the shitty calcs you guys make. And this is coming from someone who enjoys his movies.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Erik_Soong

@rbt said:
@ganon15 said:
@rbt said:

There is no way that weighed 50 tons.

Rework the math to fit your bias then, so we can discuss it. I have already explained how the math checked out in another thread between us. You simply plugged your proverbial ears and ultimately abandoned the conversation rather than employ anything that resembled logic.

Budging 50 tons does not mean he is a 50 tonner.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way it's 50 tons plus he doesn't lifr the whole thing and only inches off the ground very hard to calculate that he's a 3-7 tonner max

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way it's 50 tons plus he doesn't lifr the whole thing and only inches off the ground very hard to calculate that he's a 3-7 tonner max

How much does it weigh then? There is consensus among those who actually did the math on it. Until I see some figures that oppose the consensus and make sense, I see no reason why anyone should deny the feat.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Erik_Soong

K I have better things to do with my time than calculate superhero feats lol

Like posting a completely thoughtless response on the topic?

besides theres no way that's made out of soild steel as they're in a ship that flies which mean the beam is made of titanium or aluminum alloya

You have evidence of this beyond your "expertise"? This is a ship that is flying under repulsor technology. That makes about as much sense as saying that Iron Man is made out of aluminum for the same reasons. A ship that big, much like real life ships, needs to be capable of withstanding munitions fire. Aluminum has a better strength to weight ratio but it is not stronger than steel. With repulsor technology, weight is not a concern, durability would be.

it's not 50 tons just use common sense which I guess you do not have fanboyism to the max

Cute. I'm utilizing logic and reason, you are not. You are denying something outright because you don't like it.

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik_soong: I actually I'm a big fan of the captain America movies but if you actually believe that cap is a 50 tonner you are crazy

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik_soong: I actually I'm a big fan of the captain America movies but if you actually believe that cap is a 50 tonner you are crazy

I did not say that Captain America was a 50 tonner. In fact, I implied the exact opposite before you started posting here.

Also, your fandom was not in question. I... have no earthly idea why you brought that up.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spambot

I think the 5-10 ton estimates seems most likely as someone who doesn't really care whether it was 10 tons or 100 tons. If it were pure steel I think 10-15 tons would be accurate but I agree with others who have stated it would be a much less dense alloy being used and that much of the beam would't be solid metal.

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik_soong: you said because I don't like it? And you've been arguing for the argument the whole time the reality is you need to know the metal to calc the weight and in a world that has industructible metals and other things makes it impossible to calc the weight. Cap is a max 3-7 tonner

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you said because I don't like it?

Did you deny the existence of Captain America? No, clearly I was talking about the estimated figures.

And you've been arguing for the argument the whole time

Huh?

the reality is you need to know the metal to calc the weight and in a world that has industructible metals and other things makes it impossible to calc the weight.

You are making a claim of fact that it is made of aluminum, despite having literally no evidence to support this claim, as well as a failure to reason why it is aluminum using logic. We don't know the weight of the beam, but we can make assumptions based on the context of the scene. The beam is from a helicarrier, a battleship that is supported by repulsor technology that effectively neutralizes concern about weight. Because it is a massive object, it will also be a massive target, so structural integrity will be a concern. Steel is stronger than aluminum and the forces of the repulsor technology alone would risk twisting the frame because of the high malleability of aluminum. Steel is harder, more durable, and it is what is used in actual ships specifically because they are large targets.

Cap is a max 3-7 tonner

Debatable but if you can actually justify your reasoning with something other than bravado, that would be nice.

@spambot said:

I think the 5-10 ton estimates seems most likely as someone who doesn't really care whether it was 10 tons or 100 tons. If it were pure steel I think 10-15 tons would be accurate but I agree with others who have stated it would be a much less dense alloy being used and that much of the beam would't be solid metal.

Why does it make sense to you that the designers of a warship would want it to be less durable for literally no reason?

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik_soong: I've never seen someone so enthused by a dude lifting a piece of metal before more people have agreed it's far fetched it's 50 tons there is no real way to tell the weight of the beam real life and physics do not apply to movie land I don't see the point in arguing about the weight of a steel beam or the relevance to it if it's steel aluminum or plastic who cares

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Erik_Soong

I've never seen someone so enthused by a dude lifting a piece of metal before

You haven't seen Olympic or strongman competitions then. Also, this is not a relevant comment to the topic.

more people have agreed it's far fetched it's 50 tons

An appeal to the masses. This is what is known as a logical fallacy. It is an invalidation of your argument.

there is no real way to tell the weight of the beam

There is no way to tell what material the beam was made out of until the production staff comments on it. As of right now, we can employ our minds to reach logical conclusions though. I encourage you to try.

real life and physics do not apply to movie land

They can until there is conflicting information. We assume gravity exists in the MCU until there is evidence that it does not. Likewise, we assume the weight of steel is the same until there is supporting evidence that it is not.

I don't see the point in arguing about the weight of a steel beam or the relevance to it if it's steel aluminum or plastic who cares

Yet you continually post arguments, juvenile as they are. You answer your own concluding question; you obviously care.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Erik_Soong

care no bored yes

Is English your first language?

it's kinda fun to see fan boys obsess over meaningless topics

What makes me a fanboy? The fact that I am arguing for logic or because you are arguing against it?

you said your self there's no way to tell what the material is

I also said that we can use deductive reasoning to come to a logical conclusion...

so there's no way of telling the weight

We can tell the weight though. The feat is a calculable feat, whether it is steel, aluminum, or titanium.

It is unlikely to be titanium because of the insane costs associated with the material, it is unlikely to be aluminum because it simply isn't durable enough for the job. Steel is both the most logical choice, as well as the choice material used in actual ships. The only counter-argument being made in this thread is, frankly, emotionally based and lacking any considerable thought. If you don't like that Captain America can budge approximately 50 tons, that is fine. I don't like that Captain America is Hydra in the comics. It's okay to have an opinion. But don't confuse your emotional investment with a legitimate argument, because you have yet to introduce one.

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

@erik_soong: K I don't care if he could budge 100 tons I don't believe that beam is 50 tons is what I've been trying to say as many others in most of the comments

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

Why does it make sense to you that the designers of a warship would want it to be less durable for literally no reason?

Its not a matter of 'less durable' so much as it is a matter of light weight to help it stay in the air and strong enough to fulfill its job as a weight bearing beam. Alloys were made for just that purpose. Weight doesn't always = durability.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Erik_Soong

@marvelanddcfan24 said:

@erik_soong: K I don't care if he could budge 100 tons I don't believe that beam is 50 tons is what I've been trying to say as many others in most of the comments

Why don't you believe that the beam could have been approximately 50 tons?

@spambot said:
@erik_soong said:
@spambot said:

Its not a matter of 'less durable' so much as it is a matter of light weight to help it stay in the air and strong enough to fulfill its job as a weight bearing beam. Alloys were made for just that purpose. Weight doesn't always = durability.

The problem here is that repulsor technology removes weight as a real concern. Additionally, the durability limit of aluminum is exactly why there is so much maintenance required for our aircraft. The costs associated with constantly having to swap out aluminum plating and frames alone makes aluminum unrealistic as a material. Steel requires no such replacing because of its rigidity, it is cheaper, it is more durable, and while it is heavier, they weren't making these ships with the maneuverability of a fighter jet in mind. These crafts were specifically designed to never need to land again. That literally makes it impossible that these would be aluminum, given the described maintenance of aluminum aircraft.

These warships needed to be durable. The kind of durability that allowed them to take extended periods of rail gun fire (which also generate incredible levels of heat on both the firing and receiving end) and maintain functionality. You couldn't get that with aluminum. It would be lighter under aluminum, sure, but it wouldn't be strong enough for much of anything. Considering it would still be in the range of 60,000 to 70,000 tons and that would be bearing down on 4 support structures for the repulsors, it is unlikely that it would even be able to fly, much less handle the forces that come with turning. Given the strength comparisons between steel and aluminum, the repulsors would likely rip themselves off when first activated. Repulsors the diameter of golf balls generate significant heat in the MCU, even at a distance (making missiles turn red hot in a second from significant range). Can you imagine the aluminum plating and frames near the repulsors doing much more than instantly liquefying?

No Caption Provided

Source of pic: Titanium manufacturer.

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik_soong: K your officially nuts you take this way to seriously and I didn't even bother to read your last spew of nonsense you have an obcessive need to be right bro were talkin about a fictional hero lifting something no one cares how or what metal it is the question was do we think it was 50 tons and most people answered no get over it get a life

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

K your officially nuts you take this way to seriously

Shattering counter argument.

and I didn't even bother to read your last spew of nonsense

That's fine. Most of it wasn't directed at you anyway.

you have an obcessive need to be right bro

Perhaps. This is a debate thread, in case you are not aware. The goal is to have an exchange of ideas. If you are not capable of competing, maybe you should try spectating instead.

were talkin about a fictional hero lifting something no one cares how or what metal it is

Everyone here cares. I do, you do, the OP does. Just because you are too lazy to make a convincing case, does not mean that no one cares about the discussion.

the question was do we think it was 50 tons

The question was actually how heavy it was, not whether it was 50 tons.

and most people answered

Again, an appeal to the masses. You defeat your own argument.

no get over it get a life

You realize that you are also posting in this discussion, right? Do you lack self-awareness? If I have no life for debating, how is it that you do while doing the same thing?

Avatar image for deactivated-599632ff76068
deactivated-599632ff76068

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

10 pounds.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is going exactly where I thought it'd go.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik_soong: Why would they need to be aluminum? There are many other alloys and lighter weight metals out there. I'm also not sure that you could say the repulsor engines make weight irrelevant. There is no way we are going to reach any kind of consensus on what that beam weighs anyhow or exactly how much strength it would take to life it a few inches.

The_Batmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's just say he has experience lifting heavy beams, if you know what I'm sayin

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

AngelJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*eats popcorn*

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Erik_Soong

@spambot said:

Why would they need to be aluminum? There are many other alloys and lighter weight metals out there.

Okay fine. List them and why they would be used in a battleship.

I'm also not sure that you could say the repulsor engines make weight irrelevant.

Repulsors the diameter of golf balls were able to propel Iron Man at supersonic speeds nearly instantaneously. Saying that weight is irrelevant is a bit of hyperbole, sure, but to say that they would need to switch to a weaker metal is clearly not true given the power generated by repulsor technology.

There is no way we are going to reach any kind of consensus on what that beam weighs anyhow or exactly how much strength it would take to life it a few inches.

No one is willing to present a logical argument to the contrary. Everyone who opposes the figures are doing so because it doesn't make them feel good to think of Captain America being able to budge that much weight. No one in this thread has even attempted to offer an alternative that is reasonable, nor have they been able to call the current math into question. Why are we assuming that baseless opinions carry the same weight (hue hue) as actual calculations with the fewest possible assumptions?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik_soong: I'm not even sure what figures you think I am opposing. I am saying it would weigh less than you seem to think it would anyhow. People don't have to agree about such things. At the end of the day its make believe. Its close to meaningless.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entire beam prolly weighed 20-30 tons. But since cap only lifted one side of it a couple of inches for like 5 seconds, it's hard to tell how strong he is based off that. I'd put cap at a 2-5 tonner for the most part

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between a few dozens to several dozen tons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4,748,309,307,260,824,048,042 tons... AND HE LIFTED IT WHILE INJURED!

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

I'm not even sure what figures you think I am opposing.

The figures presented from two different sources in this thread. The ones you disagree with.

I am saying it would weigh less than you seem to think it would anyhow.

Why? Have you run the numbers yourself? Do you have conflicting evidence? You initially said that you have no invested interest in whether it is 10 tons or 100 tons but the entirety of your argument is evidence to the contrary. You disagree with the scope of the feat because you don't like the implications, which is fine. However, you are offering nothing to support your opinion. In fact, you have been decisively evasive on the evidence front. Why don't we drop the mask of neutrality.

People don't have to agree about such things. At the end of the day its make believe. Its close to meaningless.

You are trying to say that a debate that you voluntarily entered is meaningless? Then why do you still post? I find value in this debate. If you don't, then why are you trying to devalue the discussion to those who do? I think it is a bit childish to try to have a debate and when you are unable to offer evidence to support your preferred interpretation, call the entire argument meaningless.

liqmidiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lubub55 said:

4,748,309,307,260,824,048,042 tons... AND HE LIFTED IT WHILE INJURED!

AHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH

liqmidiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While on adrenaline, he had a harder time pulling in a chopper than lifting up a supposed '50' ton steel beam. I find it hard to believe that that steel beam weighed 50 tons. Even then, Bucky was helping. lol

If he can barely pull in a helicopter, then it makes no sense for him to lift up 50 tons, not even an inch off the ground. That's some new level of inconsistency.

I'd say 15-20 tons considering that that his max lifting weight is 10 tons while on some heavy adrenaline. He lifted it a few cm up with Bucky's help.

Tayssti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tayssti: it's not like he pressed it above his head. It's still a good feat but I've seen people say he basically dead lifted the whole weight of the beam when he didn't

Agreed