Just Getting Into Comics

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MisterSpiffy

So I just picked up Watchmen on Saturday, and I'm getting REALLY into it.  After reading the first couple chapters, I'm getting interested in other comics.  The only thing is, I'm really big on seeing the beginnings of things.  Like If I was going to start watching a movie half-way through, I wouldn't even want to do it.  If I start reading a particular comic after it's been going for quite a while, am I going to understand what's going on?  Also, are there any promising new comics coming soon, or even ones where only a few issues are out?  Finally, would you recommend buying comics locally or online?  If online, are there any cheap sites for Canadians?  Thanks for all the help guys!

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Kurrent

For me part of the whole thing is going to the store and picking them up so I def suggest that.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Ghost Rider - Start at Issue 18 of the current series. That should explain what you need to know

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Slinger
Kurrent said:
"For me part of the whole thing is going to the store and picking them up so I def suggest that....."
Yeah, especially if you have a good shop nearby. A wealth of knowledge can be gained from your local comics geeks.
Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Nighthunter

If you liked Watchmen you should check some of Moore's other projects like V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary gentlemen

Check Morrison' series of the eighties like Animal Man and Doom Patrol

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Darkchild
Esther Cotillard LeBeau said:
"You should really look at characters that are getting their own mini's. With some of the comics I get, I did a little side research so I knew what was going on. Familiarize yourself with the character. Sometimes its good to pick up a big team series, like Avengers or the Outsiders, for example; where you get a taste for a lot of different characters in one comic. IMHO anyway."
Agreed, doing your research on characters that peek your interest is a must. Its how I got into some of my top favs. I used to think Aquaman was a pansy in orange leatards.

But id admit getting into some team comics is a good idea. Although sometimes picking up during a big arc can be absolutly confusing so id pick up some back issues with stuff like Uncanny Xmen or much of Marvel. Sometimes its best to focus on a single character comic seeing how they fit into the main story of an arc.

Ones id suggest would be any of the past recent 25 Action Comics for DC.

For Marvel Id say going back to what Babs 455 maybe. I cant remember back when the stories were single or a few issue arcs not crossover quality. Ive been out of touch with Marvel on a issue basis for a while.

And just cause hes an awesome character. The MAX line of Punisher is a good read if your into that kind of stuff.
Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Darkchild
Nighthunter said:
"If you liked Watchmen you should check some of Moore's other projects like V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary gentlemen

Check Morrison' series of the eighties like Animal Man and Doom Patrol"
Animal Man is a great comic. also for Moore In Hell is also an awesome one
Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Nighthunter
Darkchild said:
"Nighthunter said:
"If you liked Watchmen you should check some of Moore's other projects like V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary gentlemen

Animal Man is a great comic. also for Moore In Hell is also an awesome one"
I haven't tried that one yet lol
Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darkchild
Nighthunter said:
"Darkchild said:
"Nighthunter said:

Animal Man is a great comic. also for Moore In Hell is also an awesome one"
I haven't tried that one yet lol"
Its an awesome one havnt read it in years an i had to strain with the title for a moment. I knew it was either From hell or InHell. An now im i know From Hell i new it was wrong lol
MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By MisterSpiffy

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!

Nighthunter said:

I was definitely considering this, and I'll be sure to pick up V for Vendetta; the anonymity seems like a really cool concept to me.
The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By The_Scourge
Try reading the current series of both Thor and Deadpool.
Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Hawk

X-men is doing the origin runs......Beast, Jean Grey, are the ones I have. Give you a nice start. ....Magneto Testament. ............Wolverine Origins.