Jedi Fighting Styles

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By conner_wolf

If you could pick a single Lightsaber Style to master, which would it be?

-Click the italicized link for an in-depth explanation of lightsaber styles

Why would you choose your lightsaber form?

How well do you think your form stacks up against the others?

What lightsaber color would you use?

-Click the italicized link for an analysis on lightsaber color meanings

What shape would your lightsaber be?

Staff? Dual-wielding? Single-blade? Long-hilted? Pike? Perhaps the infamous whip?

Form I: Shii-Cho

Form I, also called "The Way of the Sarlacc," is the most basic form of lightsaber combat -- and the most ancient. For this reason, it is the first form of lightsaber combat that most Jedi learn. It was developed as the Jedi transitioned from using traditional swords to using lightsabers.

The moves of Form I focus on disarming one's opponent without hurting him. Its wide, sweeping motions are useful when facing multiple enemies, but do not work well against lightsaber-wielding opponents.

Form II: Makashi

Form II, also called "The Way of the Ysalamiri," developed when the Jedi began fighting Sith and other lightsaber wielders. It emphasizes precision, simple footwork, and preventing disarmament, and thus is a strong defense against Form I. Curved-hilt lightsabers made it easier to control the one-handed fighting style.

After the Sith were all but destroyed around 1,000 BBY, lightsaber duels became uncommon once again, and few Jedi studied Form II. Those who did admired it as the most elegant form of lightsaber combat.

Form III: Soresu

Form III, also called "The Way of the Mynock," was developed to defend against blasters. It is characterized by tight, efficient movements that shield the Jedi's body, using the lightsaber primarily as a defensive weapon to deflect blaster bolts.

The practice of Form III is an important reflection of Jedi philosophy, as it emphasizes the Jedi belief in calmness and non-aggression. A Jedi using Form III must center herself in the Force in order to anticipate her opponents' movements and successfully block blaster fire.

Form IV: Ataru

Form IV, also called "The Way of the Hawk-Bat," is an aggressive, acrobatic style. A practitioner of this form channels the Force to achieve high-speed movements, impossible leaps, and deadly strikes. To an outsider, it appears as a wild rush of movement.

Its use of acrobatics makes Form IV difficult to master and dangerous to attempt. Even with the aid of the Force, a Jedi risks expending too much energy in a short burst of offensive strikes, leaving himself open to attacks if he cannot defeat the enemy quickly enough.

Form V: Shien / Djem So

Form V, also called "The Way of the Krayt Dragon," developed out of Form III, utilizing its precise defensive motions to create a more offensive fighting style. Its basic premise is using one's natural strength to dominate an opponent.

The first variation, Shien, focuses on deflecting blaster bolts back at targets. This allows a Jedi to defend herself while simultaneously using the enemies' weapons against them.

The second variation, Djem so, applies the same principle to lightsaber duels. It focuses on blocking an enemy attack, then using that energy to segue into a counterattack.

Form VI: Niman

Form VI, also called "The Way of the Rancor," is a synthesis of elements from the five previous forms. It is especially popular among Jedi who do not focus on combat training, as it is easy to master and execute -- for this reason, however, Jedi who have mastered other forms may view it as inferior.

The basis of Form VI is combining lightsaber combat with other Force techniques. For example, a Jedi may use telekinesis to push away enemies, allowing her to better manage a group of fighters by facing them one at a time. Form VI is the primary fighting style of Jedi who dual-wield lightsabers.

Form VII: Juyo / Vaapad

Form VII, also called "The Way of the Vornskr," is the most difficult of the traditional lightsaber forms, both physically and emotionally. Rather than ridding themselves of emotions, practitioners of Form VII channel them into the fight, attacking with chaotic, furious, and unpredictable moves to catch their opponents off guard.

During the time before the Clone Wars, Mace Windu developed Vaapad -- a variation on the traditional Form VII fighting style, Juyo. Its premise was turning the Jedi into a conduit, channeling an opponent's negative emotions back at him.

Only a few Jedi were allowed to learn Form VII, as it was thought to bring its practitioners dangerously close to the dark side.

Form VIII: Jar'Kai

Form VIII, also called the Jar'Kai tactic, is the utilization of dual sabers in combat, allowing one to more easily engage multiple opponents, or overwhelm a single opponent with bladework. Practitioners of Jar'Kai were taught to envision both blades in their mind at all times, using them as extensions of themselves.

Form VIII's focus on bladework can make this skill difficult against a force-wielding opponent, but when used to it's epitome, this style can overwhelm with speed and precision.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By kcomicfan

I would use Soresu for its impenetrable defence and general use capabilitys, however I would use Niman as a supplementary form for is use of the force, and its jack of all trades style can give some attack power. or I would use form 7 vaapad because it is the best all around style but is hard to learn. I would use a single bladed lighsaber with a blue blade.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shien

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pli would pick Niman since most of my focus would be to enhance my force powers anyway so a good balance of the previous Styler would be good supplementation. My form wouldn't be so great against lights aberration duelist since it doesn't have clear advantages.

Color would be purple with a single blade

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

Makashi. It will always be makashi.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Vaapad for me. I'd use a Dark Saber single blade.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd probably use Djem So mixed with Juyo with a long-hilted Bronze Blade to allow for power attacks. Then I'd mix it with powerful force abilities.

Inphase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Djem so/shien, only because Bane used it and performed the feat of dodging and blocking rainfall. I doubt Id get that good, but thst feat always blew me away. I'd use a green saber.

Leo-343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Djem so suits my personality and it's principles I already show in karate.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Probably Form V. I feel like it would work well with my mindset.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Niman

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impervious: Guess Exar kun wasn't either heeh

To me it's on how you approach it and cause other where lax, doesn't mean I would be. Also read that this form was more force heavy to compensate

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darling_luna: ehhh, I still hold on to the belief that Makashi is still the cooler Force heavy technique than Niman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Form II.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Impervious
wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shien / Djem So because I just want to defend I'm not a person that want to attack others.In that case I would use blue saber or a silver one for originality sake. But green is my favorite color.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Niman -- a practical, jack-of-all-trades style that has no real weakness and is easy to master.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-57b54fc9eb0d8
deactivated-57b54fc9eb0d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Niman, but I wouldn't be duel-wielding. Be perfect for me since I want to focus on my Force powers.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Eisenfauste

Soresu. I like defense better than offense.

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: a man after my own heart. Makashi all the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If I had to choose a single form I'd choose Juyo, and by proxy I'd be mastering several other styles to a high degree, as that's a prerequisite for using Juyo [effectively] in the first place. Juyo's pretty solid by itself anyway but also lends itself to better versatility. If I got to choose the two or three forms I got to master on top of Juyo, ideally I'd go with Soresu and Niman.

Probably red saberstaff to go with it. Yep, I'm being that guy. A saberstaff is pretty good for Juyo, though. The long hilt allows for better leverage on power strikes, and the twin-blades allow for greater attack speed, and because there's two of them you're making your opponent move twice as fast in order to defend from them both. Defensively, a saberstaff is an ideal weapon for fighting multiple opponents as well as deflecting blaster bolts.

With that set up you have most bases covered.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd wield a curved-hilted lightsaber, green of color. And I'd pick Makashi. It's a dueling centric form which helps in one on one lightsaber combat, and requires precision and elegance. My second choice(and a more practical one for me to master given my physique) would be Niman, as it is formed from the basis of all five previous styles and can be used in any possible situation.

freesid_stf123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By freesid_stf123

My preffered form would be Form V shien/Djem So. I want to incorporate Makashi, Soresu, ataru, and Juyo into my fighting style though, mix and match things.

I would wield a single blade lightsaber with a red blade.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By makhai

@i_like_swords, @jedixman: Be proud of me!

Form: Vaapad

Lightsaber

Either Mace Windu's lightsaber:

That's just a sweet design.
That's just a sweet design.

Or the Starkiller's lightsaber:

Mostly because I like the internal lighting.
Mostly because I like the internal lighting.

Screw it. I'll take both and just have Jar'Kai as a backup.

Color: Pink-Purple with bloom

No Caption Provided

Additional:

No Caption Provided

The swirling effect from the Tythonian Force Master's Lightsaber. It looks like it is just bursting with power.

Why I chose this form?

Because it was created by the Badass Mother****er of the Star Wars universe.

How do I think it stacks against the others?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you because I don't know much about EU if we exclude TOR games. But assuming I get Shatterpoint along with my form, I think I would be very difficult to beat in combat.

megamaxmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

double bladed-lightsaber pike with form 4 and 8 and yellow as colour. don't know if that's effective but it sounds cool

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@megamaxmind: If you made the staff out of Phrik it would be

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@makhai: Jar'kai Vaapad huh? Pretty badass design and fighting style I must say, would be a sight to see, and you get to/have to master a couple of forms on top of that in order to use it [well], so, you'll be more versatile than your average duelist.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably dual-wielding/double-bladed Soresu and Trakata.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conner_wolf: It's an esoteric lightsaber form that works through the activation and deactivation of lightsaber blades, which catches almost any duelist off-guard (and can be fatal in that way). Obviously, if you're just turning your blade on and off, you can be pretty vulnerable to attack yourself, hence why I have an extra blade/mastery of Soresu.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: I would think the flipping and agility of Ataru would be much more complimentary to it.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conner_wolf: Ataru's also known for a weak defense, so I'm very uninsured if I use that combination.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35 JediXMan  Moderator
@jedixman said:

Oh, yeah, and I would use a green or silver blade (... or red...). My hilt would be curved, like so:

No Caption Provided

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pipxeroth

@jedixman said:
@jedixman said:

Oh, yeah, and I would use a green or silver blade (... or red...). My hilt would be curved, like so:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Anyway,

I would use a pike/pole-arm lighsaber, utilising Form V (or maybe Form III), and it would be a dark storm-steel grey.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

nimen

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: Perhaps, but Ataru would compliment your attack well as opposed to Soresu, using both would probably be your best bet..

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShootingNova

@conner_wolf: It would also require substantially greater mastery to time the blade switch-ons/offs whilst leaping about and spinning, etc, and I'm still very vulnerable to counter-attack. If the opponent had any idea what I was doing, I'd be countered solidly.

Using Ataru does add the edge of haphazardness and unpredictability, though.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: Yes, but if you master Ataru that would be the best form of attack that you can supplement with your style, and if you're skilled enough your opponent would have no time to counter the attack.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conner_wolf: Only if they're unfamiliar with my form. I'd argue Juyo should also work similarly.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: Possibly, but if you used Ataru people would attempt to either go for the hard Soresu defense or circumvent your style by using a Makashi-style bobbing and weaving. If they attempted to go for a hard Soresu defense and you had your timing down, it'd be easy to just activate your lightsaber in a perfect moment.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ShootingNova

@conner_wolf: If my timing isn't as good, though, I'd be leaving myself open to counterattacks. With Soresu, I can defend until they overextend/expose themselves, and a quick Trakata stab finishes the duel there. It basically comes down to the fact that I'm more insured there.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: Then you'd better make sure your timing is good, it's called high risk, high reward, you just need to hope you're good enough.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShootingNova

@conner_wolf: I'm the type of person who likes to make sure I'm insured for any incident, so if I use a form like Trakata which is already high-risk and high-reward, I'd need to back it up with some sort of protective form.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: I can appreciate that, though if you had time to learn another form, fixing Ataru in could be lethal to your opponent, even by the most minimalist amount.

TeamFingolfin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TeamFingolfin

Niman with an emphasis on Soresu. I think I would mostly rely on wielding a single blade but I would also carry a shoto. I would save the use of my shoto as an element of surprise and/or change the tempo of a duel that was deadlocked. Also, keeping a free hand rather than always dual-wielding would allow me to utilize Force moves. Both blades would be orange.

My style would prioritize survival rather than winning. This would compliment my desire to take a lonesome role of a Watchman. Although my speciality wouldn't be to seek out high tier Force-wielding enemies or to find myself in middle of a battlefield, my Soresu heavy Niman style would ensure that my skill with a lightsaber(s) would be up to the task. Soresu is to address what I have heard about Niman practitioners not surviving the Battle of Geonosis.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green lightsaber, and likely one with a dual-phase option so I could rapidly switch between sword lengths. I am not a proud man, and am perfectly comfortable cheating to win a fight. If it's Rebels era or later I'd probably use a lightsaber like the one Ezra made, which has a blaster built into the hilt for surprise shots and to give some range coverage. Tradition is nice and all, but survival takes precedent over honor.

I've always really liked Ataru visually, and when it comes to physical arts I'm more partial to acrobatics than I am to actual martial arts anyway. I'm also a tall and lanky person without much size, so of the aggressive styles Ataru seems more my speed. I already benefit from a long reach and long gait. Plus, judging by how I build my characters in RPGs and what fighters I choose in fighter games, I tend to strongly favor mobility over strength, so the superhuman leaps would make it easier to always have the better positioning.

I'd want to focus more on my Force abilities than swordplay, but I imagine the focus on the Force would make my enhanced speed and agility even greater, and could provide me with more defensive options to cover Ataru's natural vulnerabilities.

I'd also probably seek to add elements of Soresu to my style so I'm less vulnerable to blaster fire and have something to fall back on in tight corridors. It's probably why no one here is going with Ataru. No other style has such a grievous flaw it has to compensate for.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm.

Niman with elements of Djem So.

Green single bladed lightsaber.