James Wan completely debunks the "Three villains" idea in the Aquaman film

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This is what I’ll say: I don’t have three villains,” Wan exclusively told EW. “I think that’s ridiculous! I would never go into an origin movie with three villains. We don’t even know the main character let alone the world and its antagonist. I believe in taking baby steps.”

So … maybe two villains then?

“I want to introduce Arthur Curry in a much more emotional and powerful way, and introduce Mera played by Amber Heard, and of course there’s Nicole Kidman and Temuera Morrison playing his parents,” the Furious 7 director added. “We know Black Manta is in there, but I will say this: Patrick Wilson is the main antagonist in this film. I wouldn’t necessarily say ‘villain,’ but he’s the antagonist.”

Source

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wait a minute, Abin Sur/Jango Fett is playing Aquaman's dad? Lol.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MAZAHS117

Sounds good. Just focus on Black Manta for Aquamans debut nemesis, and plant seeds for Ocean Master. I wonder if Orm will be developed over time ala Loki in the MCU

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good. Just focus on Black Manta for Aquamans debut nemesis, and plant seeds for Ocean Master. I wonder if Orm will be developed over time ala Loki in the MCU

If he becomes a fan favorite like Tom's Loki, then yes. Orm as a character has that kind of charm, the only questions are can James Wan and Patrick Wilson do it properly.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m actually hyped for this Aquaman movie. It seems like it will be pretty good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazahs117 said:

If he becomes a fan favorite like Tom's Loki, then yes. Orm as a character has that kind of charm, the only questions are can James Wan and Patrick Wilson do it properly.

I am sure that Wan and Willson can pull it off fine, it is Jason Momoa as Aquaman trying to carry a movie that worries me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquabro!

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misterwhisper:

I am sure that Wan and Willson can pull it off fine,

I have some doubts about that, but overall i agree that chances that they can pull it is rather high IMO.

it is Jason Momoa as Aquaman trying to carry a movie that worries me.

Well, there are these kind of worries, but i think James Wan can solve that.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

That's a good thing. Introducing three villains in the movie isn't a good idea. Just look at Spider-Man 3 and how that turned out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazahs117 said:

thing is Loki had a fan base outside of regular comic book readers. OM does not

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@trust_this_786:

@lord_spectrum said:
@mazahs117 said:

Loki's fanbase came from the movies. He had none before Avengers if we're being honest.

Same could happen to Orm but I don't think the actor has the pretty boy factor or the DCEU have the stability of the MCU to pull it off.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lord_Spectrum
@trust_this_786 said:

You are right in a way.

But if they get Orm right, he will gain the needed fan base, they need get that charm and likableness to him and it depends if they can execute that properly, and that's it.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lord_spectrum said:
@mazahs117 said:

I am sure that Wan and Willson can pull it off fine, it is Jason Momoa as Aquaman trying to carry a movie that worries me.

I think it will be fine. If you like the Fast and the Furious movies tone and Vin Diesel then I believe you will like this....if you don't though...uh oh. Question will be even if it's good with the GA give a **** enough to even bother showing up????

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trust_this_786:

@trust_this_786 said:
@lord_spectrum said:
@mazahs117 said:

Loki's fanbase came from the movies. He had none before Avengers if we're being honest.

Same could happen to Orm but I don't think the actor has the pretty boy factor or the DCEU have the stability of the MCU to pull it off.

yes he did. And if he didn't his was much larger than Oceanmaster.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stormshadow_x

@trust_this_786: Like who? other than Marvel Comicbook Fans who cared about anything Thor Related? Loki is one of the biggest examples of gaining popularity due to the movies and he had a BIG leap almost if not as big as Ironman due to the MCU to the general audience.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is good. So maybe Wan will use Black Manta similar to how Dr. Strange used Mordo? In other words build him up then use him as a villain in another film.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trust_this_786: Like who? other than Marvel Comicbook Fans who cared about anything Thor Related? Loki is one of the biggest examples of gaining popularity due to the movies and he had a BIG leap almost if not as big as Ironman due to the MCU to the general audience.

your clearly lowballing Loki. Loki was at the very least thrice as big of a deal then Oceanmaster. With the stability of the DCEU rn I dont see them pulling it off.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By stormshadow_x

@stormshadow_x said:

your clearly lowballing Loki. Loki was at the very least thrice as big of a deal then Oceanmaster. With the stability of the DCEU rn I dont see them pulling it off.

I'm not lowballing anything, You just don't want to be wrong. To the General audience neither of these characters were known. If anyone knew anything about Loki its because they heard something about his real world Norse Mythology counterpart.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trust_this_786 said:
@stormshadow_x said:

I'm not lowballing anything, You just don't want to be wrong. To the General audience neither of these characters were known. If anyone knew anything about Loki its because they heard something about his real world Norse Mythology counterpart.

Oceanmaster's only claim to fame was being Aquaman's bro. Loki's claim to fame was being the villain to start the Avengers and being the brother of a much more popular character, Thor. Do you really think they are comparable?

Avatar image for deactivated-5abbc73944668
deactivated-5abbc73944668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

James Wan is a genius! I'm excited to see what he does with this movie. I want some "The Conjuring" style horror and suspense in this!

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormshadow_x said:
@trust_this_786 said:
@stormshadow_x said:

Oceanmaster's only claim to fame was being Aquaman's bro. Loki's claim to fame was being the villain to start the Avengers and being the brother of a much more popular character, Thor. Do you really think they are comparable?

So.....something only comicbook fans would know makes him decently well known to the General Audience? lol kek.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormshadow_x said:
@trust_this_786 said:
@stormshadow_x said:
@trust_this_786 said:
@stormshadow_x said:

So.....something only comicbook fans would know makes him decently well known to the General Audience? lol kek.

I'm not saying Loki was a household name like spiderman or Batman all Im trying to say is Loki was a lot more popular character than Oceanmaster probably even Aquaman before the MCU and had some sort of fanbase behind him outside of casual comic readers

FedExDriver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

James Wan has a lot of solid films under his belt, although they are mostly horror but i trust him

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll probably set up Black Manta to be the villain of Aquaman 2, like Spider-Man: Homecoming set up Scorpion and Doctor Strange set up Baron Mordo. As for Neerus, who knows.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator

Wan knows what he's doing. If he is left alone to do his work, this film will be good.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trust_this_786: most people didnt know crap about Loki before Hiddleston they probably wouldn't even associate him with Marvel it's just a case of a good portrayal of a character that lead to mass popularity

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

This is what I like about Wan, he knows the importance restraint and character but also how to appeal to the masses at the same.

James Wan is a genius! I'm excited to see what he does with this movie. I want some "The Conjuring" style horror and suspense in this!

This is why we need to see the Trench in this movie. ^_^

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this is going to be a good one, like WW.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not saying Loki was a household name like spiderman or Batman all Im trying to say is Loki was a lot more popular character than Oceanmaster probably even Aquaman before the MCU and had some sort of fanbase behind him outside of casual comic readers

Aquaman was a household name before the DCEU or Avengers. He's one of the most well known superheroes. Granted, most people thought of him as a joke character because of comedy sketches, but he had appearances on popular shows like Smallville, the Justice League cartoon, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, etc. All the way back to the infamous Superfriends and his own Aquaman cartoon series from the 60s.

Nobody outside the comic community knew Loki existed. At best you could say he was equal to Ocean Master, who was also a no-name to the general audience. Only fans of Thor knew of Loki, just as only fans of Aquaman knew of Oceanmaster.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see the WB cut. Then pay extra for the directors cut. I love the DCEU for ruining what I love.

AgentHercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They shouldn't have multiple villains in the first movie for Aquaman. They have messed the entire universe by rushing into things. The best thing to do would be to have a villain for this movie, and plant the seeds for future ones. That way the audience has an idea of who's coming, but aren't bogged down by two or three origins in a single movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trust_this_786 said:

Aquaman was a household name before the DCEU or Avengers. He's one of the most well known superheroes. Granted, most people thought of him as a joke character because of comedy sketches, but he had appearances on popular shows like Smallville, the Justice League cartoon, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, etc. All the way back to the infamous Superfriends and his own Aquaman cartoon series from the 60s.

Nobody outside the comic community knew Loki existed. At best you could say he was equal to Ocean Master, who was also a no-name to the general audience. Only fans of Thor knew of Loki, just as only fans of Aquaman knew of Oceanmaster.

Aquaman is by no means a household name even now.

Appearing on popular shows means nothing. If thats all it takes to be a household name then the freaking wrecking crew should be a household name by now.

Mythology fans knew who loki was. People with some form of knowledge of the Avengers knew who Loki was

I wouldn't say Im an Aquaman fanboy but I do read a lot of his tie-ins and I see him in a lot of DC related events yet I didn't know who Oceanmaster was until the animated movie Throne of Atlantis.

Besides, Loki was and always will have a fanbase at least thrice the size of OceanMaster

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trust_this_786:

Loki from mythology is a very, very different character from the one in the comics. And just because people know of the mythological character does not automatically mean they know about the comicbook knock-off too.