James Gunn or Zack Snyder, who's the better superhero movie maker?

• 55 results
CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll James Gunn or Zack Snyder, who's the better superhero movie maker? (70 votes)

James Gunn. 57%
Zack Snyder. 27%
Same level. 6%
See fanboys ridiculous voting. 10%
 • 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunn. He's more consistent.

icec0ld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunn's corny as hell. His films are like laugh track sitcoms and I cannot stand it when adults act like children. Drax has to be the dumbest and most annoying character ever. He behaves like he is mentally challenged literally as if he has autism.

Same with quill, no functioning normal adult behaves like that in life threatening situations.

Zack has far superior portrayals of human beings and our emotions than Gunn. Snyder's issue is his focus is largely on the darker aspects of humanity and it's too bitter a pill for audiences to swallow. They like candy but Snyder serves up brussel sprouts. One taste better and is well liked but horrible for you. The other will fortify your body but taste like raw metal.

You are what you eat.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@benjamin_poindexter: he's made 2, and I didn't think the second was good, 50/50 isn't all that consistent

JaylinFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither tbh. I don’t like Gunn’s films for reasons stated, and Snyder is too dark with his superhero portrayals though I don’t like his fight scenes.

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WakeUpSid

@icec0ld: If audiences like candy and not brussel sprouts , then why is Logan so critically acclaimed?

icec0ld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakeupsid: Logan is nothing like a Snyder film. You're talking about a study of a particular character, not a reflection of society as a whole.

Mos and bvs were studies of what is good and what is bad. It wasn't simply about Clark like Logan was just about logan.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunn, in a solid stomp for me

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Gunn, in a solid stomp for me

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

James Gunn

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunn has made the better superhero films. He made the Guardians a household name while Snyder has made the most iconic superhero of all time dip in value.

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icec0ld: What about Joker then ?

In my opinion , it took far bolder steps in showing the functioning of a society .

How about the Dark Knight?

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watchmen is easily better than either GotG

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icec0ld: Btw , Civil War was about how the world and politics are a very morally grey area . It was highly acclaimed as well.

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WakeUpSid

@mrnoital: I would disagree . I believe Watchmen tackles far more unique themes . But , that was for the comics . A lot of CBMs after the comic tackled much of the same issues and Zack had a lot of his work cut out for him . Don’t get me wrong , he still did an excellent job , but he already had plenty of source material to base it off from .

Gunn , on the other hand , had to build much of the personalities and story arcs for the Guardians from scratch . While he did have a source material as well , he scrapped quite a lot of it and gave the world of the Guardians its own personality.

GOTG has been one of the most influential CBMs of recent times . Much of Suicide Squad , Ragnarok , Captain Marvel , Shazam , and Avengers were inspired from it .

SireMystKing52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SireMystKing52

@wakeupsid: I think you're riding Gunn a little too much here. GotG may have inspired Ragnarok but it DEF didn't inspire Suicide Squad or Shazam (hell didn't even inspire CM or the following Avengers movies). You act as if that was the first movie to be goofy and unique. In reality it was (sort of) the first MCU movie that stepped out of the same, plain, consumer-friendly archetype.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakeupsid: how was shazam inspired by GotG? Shazam is probably the most comic accurate cbm made in the last decade

people say Suicide Squad just cause there were bright colours, but nothing else came from it to inspire SS

Thor obviously was, they threw as many bright colours out there and used jokes to ruin any moment of drama, but that about as far as it goes

trying to say all these movies were inspire by GOTG is gonna need some serious clarification cause where was any Avengers inspired by that?

Eri_Joni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunn.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cattlebattle

Zack Snyder wins by default because he isn't a weirdo that was obsessed with making pedophile jokes for like 25 years.

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakeupsid: @siremystking52: The themes of family in Suicide Squad and a group of misunderstood outlaws coming together was inspired from GOTG . Even the musical soundtracks used to establish the tone of the film were used by it. After GOTG , a lot of CBMs and various other blockbusters started to embrace the inherent silliness of their source materials .

SireMystKing52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SireMystKing52

@wakeupsid:

Sweetie that "theme" you're talking about? Came from the Suicide Squad comics, or the SOURCE MATERIAL it was trying to portray. Look at any DCAU Suicide Squad movie (all of the ones that predate GotG) and I promise you that theme is there. Also you can go ahead and stop with the music bs, 2 completely different vibes.

Lastly, not going to repeat myself with this one, GotG is NOT the first movie to be goofy and silly in Hollywood. Just because it was the first to step out of the boring MCU formula does not mean it was the first ever. You MCU babies have to stop thinking that MCU = all of Blockbuster Hollywood; it's so annoying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63
deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gunn, despite his mistakes as a human being! (everyone does mistakes at their lives)

R.Kelly songs are still awesome!

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@siremystking52: I know that , mate . But , the way Suicide Squad approached it was very similar. And I am both a Marvel and DC fan .

You can be civil in your arguments and stop judging others .

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly why cant people go one thread without being salty fanboys it's sad as hell.

SireMystKing52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakeupsid: Can you expound on how you see that? Because the similarity is honestly not at all there.

And I'm being very civil with my "arguments". Tbh we aren't even arguing, I'm just trying fathom your opinion. And trust, you'll KNOW when I'm not being civil. :)

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakeupsid: using a musical soundtrack to establish the tone is more copied from Watchmen, did you forget how fire that soundtrack was?

very probably better than GotG

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@siremystking52: You are not being civil . Referring to me as an “ MCU baby “ is rude and an extremely narrow minded comment.

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Hmmm , I see your point . But , can you pls help me recollect the scenes in which the musical tracks were playing ( not the soundtrack ) ?

ClarkKentucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ClarkKentucky

Joss whedon solos both

Avengers>>>;That space boring fodders . Justice league version of Whedon is 100 times better than that awful thing named “Snyder cut” which will never come out Dc fanboys

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WakeUpSid

@finalkingthanos: I am not a fanboy , dude . It is honestly sad that if you , somehow , make a case for why you believe the other party is correct , that many people will assume that you are somehow biased towards that side .

Fun fact for everyone , you can be a Marvel & DC fan as well .

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakeupsid: why did you assume I was talking to you? I was bringing up the fact people were accusing eachother of being such while being just as bad.

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finalkingthanos: I thought you meant the both of us when you wrote that . If you didn’t , I am sorry.

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zack Snyder wins by default because he isn't a weirdo that was obsessed with making pedophile jokes for like 25 years.

What a snowflake ❄️

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@icec0ld said:

Gunn's corny as hell. His films are like laugh track sitcoms and I cannot stand it when adults act like children. Drax has to be the dumbest and most annoying character ever. He behaves like he is mentally challenged literally as if he has autism.

Same with quill, no functioning normal adult behaves like that in life threatening situations.

Zack has far superior portrayals of human beings and our emotions than Gunn. Snyder's issue is his focus is largely on the darker aspects of humanity and it's too bitter a pill for audiences to swallow. They like candy but Snyder serves up brussel sprouts. One taste better and is well liked but horrible for you. The other will fortify your body but taste like raw metal.

You are what you eat.

Lol...

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Gunn's films are definitely better. Still, Snyder is somewhat admirable in his (failed, terribly failed) attempts to make CBMs with thematic substance.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakeupsid: there were so many scenes with great songs, but a couple that come to mind immediately

The opening fight scene to unforgettable was a great start

Loading Video...

And then times are a changing showing how the original watchmen all fell

Loading Video...

And then there's the comedian's funeral

Loading Video...

This movie was full of pretty great musical moments

BadGuySuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunn is much better, zack only seeking dark stuff which is dumb.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I far prefer Guardians 1 to any Snyder film I've seen tbh.

TheVVitchKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunn

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunns cbm style just doesn’t hit with me, like at all. To this day I still don’t understand the hype around GotG, I don’t think it’s bad at all but I do find it a incredibly generic. ..meanwhile with Snyder on the other hand, he has his opportunity with understanding characters and storytelling and all, but I don’t find it as big a sin as the majority and think it’s a bit overplayed. I find his cbm’s vastly more interesting and entertaining than Gunns.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Gunn actually made a superhero movie? Guardians of the Galaxy was a sci fi adventure flick that had almost nothing to do with the superhero genre beyond being connected to a superhero focused expanded universe. It had more in common with the new Star Trek movies than it does with the superhero genre as far as tropes are concerned.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_Kidd

Gunn cbm work is to small to properly form a consensus. After Suicide Squad 2 it be easier to rank him. Personally I loved GotG 1 while thought GotG 2 was ass.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gunn isn't afraid to fully lean into the weirdness of Superheroes in general and his products are notably more solid for it. Zack Snyder on the other hand doesn't quite grasp how to handle superheroes work on a fundamental level. Evidenced in MOS (less so in BVS because magically an entire section of the city can be evacuated in minutes, imagine that) he shows more interest in power = power fantasy rather than showing the power = responsibility. Because MOS showed Superman being as reckless as can be with the concern for people lazily tacked on at the end.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one who didn't nearly kill DC live action...

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked a few of Gunn's films, but overall prefer Snyder.

barretstrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakeupsid: That's what the comic was about. The movie was about Cap and the Avengers splitting up but not really splitting up.

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barretstrife: I know that , dude . But , I was providing a counter to icec0ld when he claimed that the audience does not prefer films which explore political and social narratives .

barretstrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakeupsid: Yeah and my point is that Civil War the movie was not about any of those things. The accords had absolutely no effect on the MCU at all. Civil War didn't explore what it means to be a hero or the aspects of a secret identity or how hero organizations function with government organizations. It was just a versus cbm with no consequences. Just because Marvel tells you it's a political thriller before the release doesn't mean you have to regurgitate it.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tropes such as?

Costumes. Crime fighting. Alter egos. Arguably superpowers given Drax and Gamora barely displayed their abilities.

Guardians really doesn't seem like much of a superhero movie. The only one with an alter ego is Starlord and he gets made fun of for it. Nobody is wearing fancy costumes because they are all wearing their normal clothes for the most part.

Can you think of any way it can be classified as a superhero flick rather than a sci fi action-adventure story outside it coming from a comicbook originally?