James Gunn Fired From ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Franchise Over Offensive Tweets

Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Im about to drop a few bombs here, read carefully

First of all regardless of what anyone thinks, the fact of the matter is that james gunn was a ticking time bomb. Regardless of whether or not you think his firing is justified, those tweets were gonna come out sooner or later. If a group of trump justice warriors were able to reveal those tweets, it would have been a matter of time before someone from disney would have inevitably discovered them. Disney must have already knew about the tweets since gunn had controversy back in 2012, but hired him anyways, since gunn wasn't that popular at the time.

The fact that gunn got fired i personally think is ridiculous, and the fact disney fired him despite already acknowledging the tweets back in 2012 makes me think that disney are just scouring to save their own reputation. As long as it looks like disney is a mascot especially in the eyes of the media, they can continue to please everyone.

The tweets themselves cannot be defended, as much as i love gunn and as much as i want to defend him, he should have known better. We live in a snowflake generation hence privileged generation; where anything and everything slightly offensive can't be taken lightly. Ever since 2010 its just gotten worse and worse, disney are a multi-national company who are just responding/adapting to our generations demands, we demand for anything slightly offensive to be taken as a grossly serious offense that must be punished, so be it, this is probably the most foolish generation that has come in a long time, deny it all you want but it is true, go to the 1970's, the comedy allowed then far outclasses anything gunn said here.

Then again Disney are also hypocrites, they've allowed content that contains scenery that is just as grossly offensive, but theres that, i enjoyed GOTG 1, Hated GOGT 2, so maybe its for the best

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byrd42: We dont2 know what kind of person he really is because we don't know him and have2nt spent an extended amount of time with him. But the people who have, the people who do know him and have spent time with him are defending his character. Dave Butista went on record this morning saying how Gunn is the most loving, caring, good natured person he has ever met. And one can totally be a loving caring person, but have an appreciation for dark humor. That really is what seems to be the case here.

The vast majority of his tweets that got him fired had me and my close friends laughing our asses off. And I totally understand that many people will argue that they arent funny (subjective opinion), but what they cant argue is that they are jokes (objective fact). Jokes that are not meant to be taken literally or seriously.

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_titan_: "The tweets themselves cannot be defended"

I'm defending them. ?

They were jokes. They were also really really funny. You may disagree with the idea that they're funny (most people will). But regardless of opinion on the quality of humor, they were still jokes. Not serious tweets.

Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_titan_: "The tweets themselves cannot be defended"

I'm defending them. ?

They were jokes. They were also really really funny. You may disagree with the idea that they're funny (most people will). But regardless of opinion on the quality of humor, they were still jokes. Not serious tweets.

Some of them were funny, but the first one wasn't. If i had a child that was abused (still happening as i speak) i wouldn't find it that funny, difference between then and now is that there was no internet so it was harder for paedophiles to have safe spaces

Avatar image for rudebomberboy01
RudeBomberBoy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_titan_: You're allowed to find none of them funny at all for any reason you want. Or no reason for that matter. Other people may find all of them hilarious. And there's nothing wrong with that.

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By huthimamwa
Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_titan_: You're allowed to find none of them funny at all for any reason you want. Or no reason for that matter. Other people may find all of them hilarious. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Fair enough, but look at the amount of paedophilia tweets hes sent out over that time period, if gunn was smart he would have deleted them, its suicide in todays day and age, we are too sensitive to anything and everything

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By huthimamwa

@lord_titan_: oh I agree 100%. He should have scrubbed his social media clean the second he found out he was possibly getting hired by a company like Marvel Studios. Haha.

There is definitely a niche for dark humor comedians like that but when he took his career in the direction of the MCU, he really should have washed his hands of it.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This firing is just completely retarded.

byrd42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byrd42: We dont2 know what kind of person he really is because we don't know him and have2nt spent an extended amount of time with him. But the people who have, the people who do know him and have spent time with him are defending his character. Dave Butista went on record this morning saying how Gunn is the most loving, caring, good natured person he has ever met. And one can totally be a loving caring person, but have an appreciation for dark humor. That really is what seems to be the case here.

The vast majority of his tweets that got him fired had me and my close friends laughing our asses off. And I totally understand that many people will argue that they arent funny (subjective opinion), but what they cant argue is that they are jokes (objective fact). Jokes that are not meant to be taken literally or seriously.

That is really sad that he got fired if he is the great guy Dave Bautista says he is. He should have cleaned house on twitter (or paid a friend to do so) after what happened to Roseanne.

Cor_Tsar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huthimamwa: I mean.... you'd be surprised. Usually it's the nice, caring, cool types that also happen to be pedophiles. I met a lot of them in prison, they're all really friendly people, I mean, I guess... they just also like touching kids. Not to judge him unjustly. As, we shouldn't even judge Pedo's harshly, but being a cool guy doesn't automatically clear your character of sins you may have commited. Let's be real here. I doubt Dave Bautista actually really knows the guy either.

Eric_of_Apotos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny how the Guardians are all about redemption but Gunn doesn't get that treatment at all.

Shaladue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byrd42 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@shaladue said:

Yall mind if I uhhh fire you for something you said off the job 10 years ago?

If you have thousands of rape/pedo "jokes" in your social media history you'd find it hard to be hired anywhere that requires a degree lol

And rightly so. What are people to think about a person that makes that many jokes about such awful things? In many cases he wasn't even making fun of pedos, he was pretending to be one (or was he?)

Also, it wasn't 10 years ago. He was still making pedophilic jokes 6 years ago, AFTER he was hired to do GoTG and AFTER he apologized for all the awful jokes.

Must've really been thousands lmao. He actually looks like a nasty predator too. Smh

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Funny how the Guardians are all about redemption but Gunn doesn't get that treatment at all.

Maybe he can join them and Rocket can make fun of him for half an hour before he's killed off along with Drax?

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't a case of "people getting offended so easily", it would be he had several of them, but he was rumored to do thousandsof times and years

A person would get fired for the same exact reason in any job.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And no, those jokes weren't funny, not because they were offensive, but because they weren't funny.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

And here is the winner of this poop-throwing contest, closet-nazies:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-cernovich-james-gunn-fired_us_5b5265cce4b0fd5c73c570ac

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#219  Edited By Jgames

@byrd42 said:@the_living_tribunal_24 said: guys this is quite clearly a ruse, there's no such thing as phase 4 so james gunn wasnt going to have a roll while under disney so he obviously said, "ok fire me for these tweets and then lets see how people react and if they react badly we can point fingers at people i dont like and made similar comments and also get them fired" stay safe guys delete your posts and accounts

I prefer that the creepy people leave their creepy stuff up so that they can be weeded out.

I mean lots of people in the anime industry that draw sexy loli are not found out to be pedophile unlike other people in the anime industry who do not and turn out to be pedophile. Because actual pedophile like to keep in the shadow and not look suspicious like that one kid who work to fight against sex trafficking who turn to be a scum bag rapist who deserve to die in a fire. The point is that not exactly true, they can just be weirdo.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#220 frozen  Moderator

He deserves it, he was saying some really weird stuff.

Agreed.

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cor_tsar: "being a cool guy doesn't automatically clear your character of sins you may have commited"

Is there any evidence whatsoever that he "may have committed" anything in the jokes that he tweeted? What you said is some "guilty until proven innocent" sh!t. The idea that many people are accusing/suspecting him of ACTUAL rape and pedophilia without any evidence based purely on some jokes he made is absurd. I dont think he or anyone needs to "clear" him of anything.

Misanthrop285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Cernovich is the "date rape doesn't exist" douchebag!

Misanthrop285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: How could they? They are not clever enough to come up with such material.

It was the darkest of dark humor, but yeah Disney had to fire him when it was brought up again by Conversative muppets praying to Trump. Disney needs the people in charge of the country they operate in to be on their side with the whole swallowing FOX deal and other endeavors. Gunn is anti-Trump to a degree it bothered the loyalists and he left them the amuntion they needed to get him fired. Gunn's tweets were extremely offensive and he should've gotten rid of them years ago. Not doing so was just stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc8daab15c82
deactivated-5bc8daab15c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this will get right wingers to shut up about liberal bias in Hollywood.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@outside_85: These things are never fair or even and Walt’s Dead. So not even getting the angle you’re going for. They fired Gunn cause it’s the hot issue of the moment. I’m not pretending they fired him out of moral responsibility it’s a pure business decision. Duh.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deserves it.

ZackAttack14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please don't replace him with Watiti

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omg has Disney gone too far? They are really going to ruin this guys life just because of 10,000 edgy pedophilia jokes?

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Also screw Disney for pretending just now they learn about this when they already knew, and should have defended James Gunn by saying what he did in the past does not reflect his curreny self.

From a bussnise side I get their decision, but it still scummy since they did not fired him when they learn about it the first time.

Cor_Tsar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huthimamwa: well I mean... i did say "May". Hes definetly done something bad, we all have. Anyways, im just saying, I wouldn't defend a director because of what an actor said.

Anyways let's look at the evidence. 1... he made pedo jokes. 2... his wife divorced him in the same year of original pedo jokes. 3... he's a Roman Catholic... 4 he looks weird as shit. My case is both made and closed in the same paragraph.

he is a pedophile

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read close to 20 tweets. Not that I think Disney is doing this out of any sense of morality, but he needed to be fired. There's really no defending him here. Even if you want to say they're old, the man is about to turn 52. He didn't say all this when he was "young and dumb" (and the content would've been disturbing nonetheless).

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By huthimamwa

@cor_tsar: hahaha. Well i guess i cant argue with that rock solid logic. Case closed. ?

But for real. People make racist, sexist, rapey jokes all the time without actual being a racist, sexist, rapist. Jokes are jokes. People also get divorced literally every single day.

But then again he does look weird. So case closed. Pedophile.

I wouldnt defend a direcor based on what an actor said. Likewise I wouldnt condemn him to pedophilia accusations based on his sense of humor.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

I looked at the tweets yesterday. This guy is sick, or at least ignorant af.

byrd42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And here is the winner of this poop-throwing contest, closet-nazies:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-cernovich-james-gunn-fired_us_5b5265cce4b0fd5c73c570ac

Yes that guy is total scum, and Pizza gate is a beyond nutso conspiracy theory.

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there is a difference between jokes and tweeting a actual link to a pedophile site if your defending that your a fucking weirdo. Please be quiet about "omg snowflake culture" the person who did this is a nazi racist rapist trump support. I dont think james is a bad guy per say but actions have consequences. I only wish the guy who did this to him could go away cause he is scum.

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing to say @cattlebattle

@cattlebattle said:
@outside_85 said:

Jokes that were made ages ago, were available for them to go and find. But they only react on it now because some Trump fan wanted to punish Gunn for his anti-Trump statements. Good job Mauswich.

LOLROFLFOMSL

If James Gunn were a notorious right winger and some leftist people did this too him, I guarantee my testicles you would be singing a different tune.

Should I send you the scissors and the box? because the guy who dug these tweets up was Mike Cernovich, one of your alt-right media personalities.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand the outrage or the firing. These are decade old jokes/tweets that Disney surely knew of and I'm pretty sure Gunn had already previously apologized for. Yeah the content of those tweets doesn't look good and only a couple I've seen are actually funny. However, this doesn't change the fact that this is old news and your boy Gunn went on to direct two of your precious Guardians movies.

I don't really care, there's just not really a need to be so upset. Whatever. I guess it's 2018 (the current year) and it's to be expected. Watch out your comments people, if you ever plan on getting famous or being a public figure. Grab those tweets by the pussy.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why you never use your real name on the internet.

Tenguswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, what Gumm said is on no way excusable.

However, I am interested how this changes the GOTGV3, because replacing the director can have a drastic effect on the plot of the film, and in this case, it could impact the story of the MCU in general.

byrd42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, what Gumm said is on no way excusable.

However, I am interested how this changes the GOTGV3, because replacing the director can have a drastic effect on the plot of the film, and in this case, it could impact the story of the MCU in general.

True. The really good news is, filming has not yet started on the film. This would be much worse if Gunn was a 3rd of the way through filming then got fired. Films with director changes mid stream do not turn out so well.

Enigma-Force

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those tweets are beyond disturbing. I'm disappointed because he made two genuinely good movies.

PrinceMarvel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a Christian, I believe in two things, Forgiveness and accountability

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Romans 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Numbers 32:23 Be sure your sins will find you out.

---

This being said, 1) I think it was wrong of the hackers to bring up pass trangressions, and for Disney to fire Gunn over the old tweets. And I do think that Gunn should be allowed to continue working for DIsney, if that is what he now desires. 2) Always take account of yourself no matter if you are a teenager, or a forty year old man. Even before the age of social media, things you say that you will not want haunting you, always had a way of coming out.

---

However, as much as I hate what going on with James Gunn. Looking back at previous Marvel movies, Winter Soldier and Civil War had a different director than The First Avenger; Iron Man 3 had a different director than Iron Man and Iron Man 2; each Thor movie was done by a different director; and Infinity War had a different director than Avengers and Age of Ulton. While this may be the wrong way of going about getting a different director, if all the other Marvel movies can survive getting a new director, I don't see why Guardians would be a failure.

I think I wouldn't mind seeing Waititi as the director. Have him bring in Thor and maybe the rest of the Revengers as a secondary team for Guardians 3. Then spin it off into a Warbound/Revengers/Asgardians of the Galaxy movie. If Chris Hemsworth wants to retire, have them find Angela in either Guardians 3, or the spin-off and have her take his place on the team.

Wilkiins17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's back on now

ImpossibleImpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blackbolt, also did Safe, StarTrek and Hell on Wheels... he's also with an organization that creates and transmits interstellar messages in order to attempt communication with extraterrestrial civilizations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/METI_(Messaging_Extraterrestrial_Intelligence)

I honestly don't understand why celebrities still have twitter when it's literally done nothing for them but killed their careers

?

https://twitter.com/ansonmount/status/1404655248061370373?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw