James Cameron says Wonder Woman is a "Step Back".

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ima leave a comment here so I may come back to this later.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

lol

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure he'd love it if Diana were masculine and dressed androgynously

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Mr. Cameron may have spilled a little bit of salt.

rahiem9123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rahiem9123

Mansplaining ugh

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's true! James doesn't know a thing about making decent characters or movies that earn money. How dare he share his opinion on something he clearly knows nothing about?

The next time he spouts off some nonsense about Hollywood being wrong about something we should point him to a listing of the top 10 grossing movies in the last 20 years and make him shut the hell u... wait, both the number 1 and 2 top money earners? He directed Titanic a film starring a young woman dealing with a calamity that made her reach for hidden strength she didn't know she possessed to survive?

Well um... He's not a woman! So there, take that Mr Cameron! Ha!

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder women was a step back compared to Logan.

also eww cancer.

Blaredevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blaredevil

I look forward to how many people get triggered over this.

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares? He's just a moron giving his two cents.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's true! James doesn't know a thing about making decent characters or movies that earn money. How dare he share his opinion on something he clearly knows nothing about?

The next time he spouts off some nonsense about Hollywood being wrong about something we should point him to a listing of the top 10 grossing movies in the last 20 years and make him shut the hell u... wait, both the number 1 and 2 top money earners? He directed Titanic a film starring a young woman dealing with a calamity that made her reach for hidden strength she didn't know she possessed to survive?

He wasn't talking about the film's quality as a movie, he was talking about it as a symbol for female empowerment. His credentials as a film maker don't make him an expert on the social ramifications of female characters in popular culture. It also doesn't give him the authority to tell women what they should and should not view as a positive role model.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blaredevil said:

I look forward to how many people get triggered over this.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor:

"All of the self-congratulatory back-patting Hollywood’s been doing over Wonder Woman has been so misguided," Cameron told The Guardian. "She’s an objectified icon, and it’s just male Hollywood doing the same old thing! I’m not saying I didn’t like the movie but, to me, it’s a step backwards."

I fail to see anywhere in that statement where he told women what they should and should not view as a positive role model.

He himself has developed some of the most powerful and self realized female characters in film. For example: Sara Conner of the Terminator series. Rose from Titanic. Lindsey from The Abyss. Ripley from Aliens.

He's targeting male Hollywood with his statements. But let's not take his actual words into account or anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@kgb725 said:

I'm sure he'd love it if Diana were masculine and dressed androgynously

What is that supposed to mean?

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashetdust:

Patty Jenkins isn't a part of male Hollywood. Calling her movie a step back is a pretty big insult toward a director who's stated goal was to give little girls a hero they can aspire to be.

James Cameron has made some good female characters, but that doesn't mean those are the only correct way to make them. His beef is with Wonder Woman being an "objectified icon", but Patty is perfectly correct in pointing out a female hero can still be strong and a good role model while demonstrating feminine characteristics like softness and love. Not every female hero needs to be emotionally hardened like a man.

Not interested in turning this into an argument. Just pointing out that Patty has every right to defend her work, and that James being a famous director doesn't give him special insight into what is and is not good for the feminist movement.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 anthp2000  Moderator

The box office certainly doesn't agree with him.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really object to Patty's statement. Suggesting that only women could understand WW's character. Ridiculous. Since when has WW comics been exclusively for woman?

Blaredevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gxrevs06 said:

I really object to Patty's statement. Suggesting that only women could understand WW's character. Ridiculous. Since when has WW comics been exclusively for woman?

I feel like thats just her talking out of her ass in the heat of the moment. Chicks do that, especially on social media. She should feel proud a guy whos made two billion dollar films and worked with franchises like Terminator and Alien is even acknowledging her film.

If people grew some more thicker skin, the world would be a calmer place. Although, we would lose the laughs.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gxrevs06 said:

I feel like thats just her talking out of her ass in the heat of the moment. Chicks do that, especially on social media. She should feel proud a guy whos made two billion dollar films and worked with franchises like Terminator and Alien is even acknowledging her film.

If people grew some more thicker skin, the world would be a calmer place. Although, we would lose the laughs.

True dat !

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Green_Tea

Guys remember, this guy had 3 previous shitty marriages due to his attitude and demeanour. Linda Hamilton hated her time with James.

Blaredevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys remember, this guy ha 3 previous shitty marriages due to his attitude and demeanour. Linda Hamilton hated her time with James.

Who even gets married 3 times? They all get a share of his money from the divorce.

Dammit James.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I don't agree with him. Wonder Woman was needed to show you can also do these high-flying and fantastical superhero movies with a female lead and a female director successfully... not all of them have to be plain-jane Jessica Jones' who solves crime with one hand constantly clutching a bottle of whisky or a cigarette butt.

Speaking of steps backwards... how about Mr. Cameron stops blundering about with Avatar remakes no one asked for and either fixes or apologizes to every moviegoer out there that was suckered in by his blatant lie about how 3D was totally worth the extra money? Since in most cases unless you are in somekind of specially constructed super cinema, all you tend to do is pay extra money to wear a pair of glasses that darkens the colours a bit and maybe you get one scene where it pops out.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman>>>>>>>>Sarah Connor.

Blaredevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every film hes made is better and more influential than Wonder Woman by entire leagues either way. I guess Jenkins supporters and maybe she herself are upset at that fact.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

James Cameron>>>>>>>>>>>Patty Jenkins

Blaredevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gxrevs06 said:
@rustyroy said:

No Caption Provided

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RustyRoy

@gxrevs06 said:
@rustyroy said:

No Caption Provided

That I do agree but that's not the point.

Shadowwaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shadowwaker

He is right. This hasn't changed anything. Wonder Woman didn't even have armpit hair. People say that feminists are complaining about there being no armpit hair, but if you were honest with yourself you would know more people would have complained that wonder woman has armpit hair. Effectively it was pandering towards people who prefer woman without armpit hair. You really want to impress feminism? You grow some armpit hair.

Plus Gal gadot doesn't have massive boobs and her arms are very skinny. Why didn't they find someone who actually looked like they were hitting the gym. Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill were able to work out with an intense regimen; why not Gal. This is definitely a step backwards.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with Patty's overall message except the part about men not getting it. James Cameron doesn't get it because he was being a moron about this topic not because he is a man.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

His point confuses me.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By righteous300

The man that constantly called Kate Winslet fat during the filming of Titantic wants to talk about what's good for women? Also out of all the movies that have featured female leads, he wants to point out wonder woman? Sounds like the man got worried people forgot about him, while he sits in his basement fantasizing about blue people. Decided he needed to strike up something stupid to say to get his name out there.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_stegman  Moderator

Lol, whatever James

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main that constantly called Kate Winslet fat on during the filming of Titantic wants to talk about what's good for women? Also out of all the movies that have featured female leads, he wants to point out wonder woman? Sounds like the man got worried people forgot about him, while he sits in his basement fantasizing about blue people. Decided he needed to strike up something stupid to say to get his name out there.

No Caption Provided

^^

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Its comforting to know that two insanely rich people who've done big movies, can both be so stupid and make idiotic arguments.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#37 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

He is right. This hasn't changed anything. Wonder Woman didn't even have armpit hair. People say that feminists are complaining about there being no armpit hair, but if you were honest with yourself you would know more people would have complained that wonder woman has armpit hair. Effectively it was pandering towards people who prefer woman without armpit hair. You really want to impress feminism? You grow some armpit hair.

I'm laughing way too hard at this.

gunchar16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gunchar16
tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Camerons just salty because he knows no one will watch his crap movies now.

Blaredevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849 said:

Camerons just salty because he knows no one will watch his crap movies now.

Yeah, I'm sure James Cameron is really salty.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Galactusxax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashetdust said:

He wasn't talking about the film's quality as a movie, he was talking about it as a symbol for female empowerment. His credentials as a film maker don't make him an expert on the social ramifications of female characters in popular culture. It also doesn't give him the authority to tell women what they should and should not view as a positive role model.

Yes it does.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blaredevil: yup titanic blew because it was a tragic event. Avatar blew cause of the graphics, editing etc. and that was new at that time and it wouldnt blow up like that in 2017 lmao he knows that his movies wont do well anymore unless he bases it of a tragic event. "Sanctum" shows this (he was the executive producer) yh I know but it only made over 100m and he hasnt really done that much since that and Avatar. I wonder why?

Blaredevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849 said:

@blaredevil: yup titanic blew because it was a tragic event. Avatar blew cause of the graphics, editing etc. and that was new at that time and it wouldnt blow up like that in 2017 lmao he knows that his movies wont do well anymore unless he bases it of a tragic event. "Sanctum" shows this (he was the executive producer) yh I know but it only made over 100m and he hasnt really done that much since that and Avatar. I wonder why?

Titanic was a romanticized version of a tragic event that happened several decades of go, nothing to capitalize on. The people who survived it were mostly dead by the time the film came out. I agree with Avatar, since it was basically Dances With Wolves/Ferngully but on another planet. Still doesn't disregard the fact hes made 2 highest grossing films and Terminator 2 and Aliens while all Patty has is one to her name and not even 1/10 the prestige. I do think Cameron's statement was dumb, but I commend it for riling up so many people. Pattys retort however, was even more stupid.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Considering that Avatar was a "white-savior meets noble-savage" rip-off of other movies, I don't think he has much ground to criticize.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I agree with Patty's overall message except the part about men not getting it. James Cameron doesn't get it because he was being a moron about this topic not because he is a man.

she didn't say men can't get Wonder Woman

but men can't understand what Wonder Woman means to women

you can see why she's a strong and great character

but I'm sure Wonder Woman means something different to you than it would to a woman

because women can see WW in themselves, and it doesn't seem very likely that you can

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

since we are all blowing up one way or another over less than 50 words ill put my two cents out there... I think his point is mainly directed at the constant sex jokes between her and chris pine, everyone in the movie constantly oogling her when they first meet her, half of the team shes with (if not the entire team) pretty much acting as though they want to bang her their entire journey, etc. His remarks were more that it was same old, same old from Male Hollywood, which those points listed above are pretty accurate. (See ScarJo in iron man, avengers, etc) With that said, I think that everyone concluding that he automatically thinks the movie is bad and not a good example of women empowerment etc are just possibly misunderstanding his point. He said that the back patting is misguided. Maybe he thinks that them talking about how empowering it is for women while ignoring all of the typical tropes the sexy female lead is put through means the movie isn't as progressive as people made it out to be. Either way, I think he is entitled to more than 2 sentences on the matter before he gets crucified for being a male oppressor or something.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mrmonster

James Cameroon's criticisms of the film are just meaningless whining. It's one thing to honestly critique a film, but to get triggered because it "objectified" anyone is just whining.

Avatar image for stvblackrose801
stvblackrose801

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided