J.J. Abrams vs Zack Snyder

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll J.J. Abrams vs Zack Snyder (39 votes)

J.J. Abrams 49%
Zack Snyder 51%

• 
EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Finally, a relatively well matched director-fight.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@eyedcyou: Abrams is ABOVE Snyder's level. Snyder's all style, no substance. Abrams has a Lens flare addiction but he still knows how to make a good movie

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress: And let the debating begin! I actually think these two are very close in overall directing skill. I do think J.J. is probably more consistent, but I like Zack's work much more. However, that will surely all change after Star Wars.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Abrams is ABOVE Snyder's level. Snyder's all style, no substance. Abrams has a Lens flare addiction but he still knows how to make a good movie

Did you remember to vote?

@eyedcyou said:

Finally, a relatively well matched director-fight.

Well i made Tony Scott vs Micheal Bay.

You need to make battle where people has thing in common.

life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EyeDCyou
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

@deathpoolthet1000: You wanted a good match up? Abrams vs Whedon would have been better

Nop, Whedon is a better creative, director and writer that Abrams.

This being said by some one who think he is vastly overrated.

life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: u did not just mock the dude who made the Star Trek series awesome again!

@eyedcyou: you cannot deny the man's talent! Buffy, Firefly. Are none of this shows awesome to you?

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress: Much ado about nothing its better anything that Abrams has done, Serenity its better that Abrams Star Trek, also Abrams isnt that original, even his TV Shows are based on other TV Shows.

Also people overrate Abrams Star Trek, Into The Darkness was a flop.

life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress: I know you are an Abrams fan, but as a movie director he has only made a sequel, a reboot, a sequel to a reboot and an homage movie.

Now he is making another sequel.

As a director his most original work its a TV Movie.

@eyedcyou said:

@life_without_progress: Whedon has only directed 3 movies. And only 1 of those was ever popular.

And Abrams has only directed 5 movies.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress: I think Buffy is one of the most overrated series of all time haha. Firefly got cancelled after 1 season. He also didn't direct most of those episodes (most showrunners don't). I looked it up... Whedon directed 22 episodes of Buffy & 3 episodes of Firefly.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By youknowwhattodo

JJ Abrams is the next Steven Spielberg.

Snyder's a great visual director but he lacks in a lot of areas regarding film-making.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abrams is a better writer and creator than he is director. Lost and Fringe are still among my favorite shows, but none of Abrams movies crack even my top 20 films. Are they good movies? Yes. But, he just doesn't have directorial flare on Snyders level. You know a Snyder movie when you see it and his style has gone on to influence others as well. So, Snyder ftw.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JJ Abrams is the next Steven Spielberg.

Snyder's a great visual director but he lacks in a lot of areas regarding film-making.

That's a bold statement.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abrams, S was awesome even if he wasn't the sole creator.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Snyder is better imo, and the substance part comes from the writers!

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think JJ is a better story teller, while Synder is better with visuals. This is really apples to oranges for me, but since I have to pic one I'm going with JJ.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

Snyder is better imo, and the substance part comes from the writers!

Anyone who knows anything about film-making knows that that statement is not true.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ccraft

@youknowwhattodo: It seems like saying Snyder is a style over substance director has become a common thing to say. I never see people give an example of why that's true, they just say it as if it holds weight. Yes Snyder is amazing with visuals, but because "you" don't like his movies his films have no substance?

Writers write the dialogue and the scenes, it's the directors job to convey that on the big screen, yes? Both have to create the substance, but the director has to bring it to life.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No disrespect to Zack Snyder, I've liked a lot of his movies, but I'm genuinely surprised in the direction this poll is going.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

@youknowwhattodo: It seems like saying Snyder is a style over substance director has become a common thing to say. I never see people give an example of why that's true, they just say it as if it holds weight. Yes Snyder is amazing with visuals, but because "you" don't like his movies his films have no substance?

Writers write the dialogue and the scenes, it's the directors job to convey that on the big screen, yes? Both have to create the substance, but the director has to bring it to life.

Snyder baby Sucker Punch is evidence of this.

The action scenes as great as the choreography could be, suffer from the fact there is no actual risk in them for the whole confusing internal logic of the movie, you never feel any danger for the character, bad thing for action scenes.

Inception that is about the same, puts a real risk and thanks to his internal logic you feel thing could go wrong any second.

Lois Lane is every place in Man of Steel, but mostly because they need her to do thing, she had no reason to be in several of her scenes and it looks she got into some places by magic.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: I would agree with Sucker Punch, wasn't a very good movie, but the visuals were pretty good.

I would say Lois didn't have to be in most of those scenes, but she kinda does at the same time. Superman has to have someone to save. I would say those are small flaws, it does nothing to ruin the movie, at least for me it doesn't.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Wolverine008

JJ.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@ccraft said:

I like some of his films, 300, Watchmen to an extent, so I don't dislike all of his films. If it's a common criticism (not just a minority on a forum but by those who study film at large) maybe people should pay attention to it, so that he can improve as a director, believe me, there are examples. Very rarely have I ever seen a director get frequently unfair criticism from those who analyze film. To just brush it off is going to do more harm than good, especially when it comes to the embryonic DCCU.

The most important job for a director is to make sure that his or her vision for the film is realized. The vision comprises of many elements of film-making but one in particular is style v.s. substance and if Mr. Snyder wants his films to have substance, it is his responsibility to make sure that it happens. Now he's not the only one who is responsible for bringing substance, the writers also share a part in it, but the writers create their screenplay based on the director's vision.

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ooh so close.

I voted Abrams by the way.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slow Mo in Fight Scenes and Action Scenes: Snyder isnt making this like in The Raid where you cant notice it and for the same it helps you to see the moves in the fight scenes, adds dimension to the fight and make it more intense.

Snyder Slow Mo is obvious, it takes you out of the fight and takes away the the feeling of danger in the fight, this ends making the fight scenes flat and pretty pointless, you remove the urgency in a fight scene it means the fight scene isnt a good one.

Put action action scene over fight scene and you get the same result.

Green Screen and CGI: Snyder loves to get overboard with this, the main problem its that his green screen and cgi its pretty obvious, watch Man of Steel and Sucker Punch, his ubber love to computer made special effects cost the movie credibility, if you can notice something isnt there it takes you out of the movie.

Practical Special Effect were never gone, but are becoming more common today again, main reason, directors notice actors react better to things that are there, this adds dimension to the performances, also they age slower and people today can notice what is there and what isnt there, this adds dimension to the experience.

Scream at you: The problem with noise, its that you stop noticing it, Snyder doesn know when to shut the hell up, he gives you as much sound as he can, music, loud sounds and other things, the main problem, silence is more powerful that sound, Bruce Lee some times fight in silence, main reason, his punches and kicks were more dramatic that music, not only that but music its only put in there to add something.

Exaggerated Fight Scenes: His fight scenes have more style that substance, i said this about slow mo, but also his fight scenes arent there to tell you something about the story, his fight scenes also lack of character personality, this is horrible Hollywood mistake, moves that have no reason to be, every single move in an action choreography need to make sense, not to look cool, you can have tornado kicks in a choreography as long as it make sense, that is why straight to DVD and Asian Film stomp Hollywood in fight scenes.

Loading Video...

Bruce Lee has his own style and it tell you something about his character, every move its there for a reason, the same can be said of Chuck Norris, fight scenes are two character talking with punches and kicks, every character talks his own way and in his own style, this apply at fighting too.

Cartoon Acting: Isnt over acting, for some reason people in his movies has to be as cartoony as they can, this isnt remotly bad, since acting has got way less subtle for some reason, today people need stronger emotions, there is no time for subtle things anymore i think, but Snyder takes this concept to the point you can laugh your ass off, This is Sparta its more cartoony that ITS OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND, one that its with an actual cartoon character.

Internal Logic: I dont get how people dont notice this, but Snyder just believes that Suspension of Disbelief is in the audience, so he believe you have to go with it, this is normal, but Snyder fails to notice, the way to go with something its by his internal logic, anything goes is bad writing, Suspension of Disbelief of the audience only work if Suspension of Disbelief is use to set the internal logic of any story.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Snyder

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

J.J Abrams.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember to vote, if you write but dont vote its doesnt cout.

Also if you vote comment.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

JJ.

The poll is currently tied!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Snyder, any day.

PurePleazure4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them both, but I voted for JJ

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow its a tie, this was a good match.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

HMMMMMMM...............

Abrams is more consistent but I like Watchmen and MOS more than anything J.J. has made this is tough

TysonCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TysonCage

They are both hacks in their own ways (gonna get flamed for this, but whatever), but Abrams knows how to write better, as his track record has proven with Alias and Lost.

kwt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucker Punch????

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7ceb424b60
deactivated-5fb7ceb424b60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers