IT HAS BEGUN!!!: DOCTOR STRANGE Currently Tracking For A $55 Million - $75 Million Opening Weekend

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

The first tracking data for the Sorcerer Supreme's big screen debut have been revealed this morning thanks to Deadline, and early projections are pointing to a strong opening weekend between $55 million - $75 million.

Ant-Man scored $57 million last year and went on to gross over $500 million worldwide, so yeah, this is definitely a good start for Doctor Strange. The trade points out that there is a strong interest across the board, and these numbers are actually expected to increase over the next few weeks (positive word of mouth from overseas where it opens first in many territories will also no doubt be a big help).

Chances are that these numbers would be even higher, but Marvel faces some stick competition that weekend. DreamWorks Animation's Trolls is expected to earn as much as $40 million, while there's also a lot of positive buzz surrounding Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge starring Andrew Garfield. As things currently stand though, Doctor Strange will easily emerge the victor and land the #1 spot as a result.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, thought it'd be tracking closer to $100 ?

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, thought it'd be tracking closer to $100 ?

These are early tracking numbers tho. "The trade points out that there is a strong interest across the board, and these numbers are actually expected to increase over the next few weeks (positive word of mouth from overseas where it opens first in many territories will also no doubt be a big help)."

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly keep forgetting this movie is even coming out.

erikarlsson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this calculated?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

My hype level is at zero. But, I hope it makes at least Ant Man numbers so Marvel keeps giving lesser characters movies.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, sounds great hope it kills at the box office and gets the best numbers yet of the MCU :)

It´s not going to happen. It´s not making more than AoU or Iron Man 3

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be a great movie no doubt. Hopefully should redeem 2016 of the really bad slew of comic films we've gotten

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this calculated?

Social media buzz, tickets sold in comparison with other movies from the same genre with similar appeal in the same time period and property/franchise potential...

The source (Deadline) is good at delve into final numbers not predict them...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Asgaard

I am already seeing some people inside the comic book bubble saying that anything above Ant-Man numbers is another win for marvel studios when that is not true, since Dr. Strange seems a lot more expensive and the cinematic/visuals appeal looks a lot stronger even if the US audiences normally don't care much for the mystic part...

Yes the competition seems strong but we are still talking of a Disney blockbuster so for ex. the bar on the domestic opening weekend should be +$70M...

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HighAccuser

I think it'll do decent enough nothing spectacular though. Should redeem the bad comic films of 2016.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Yeah I think it'll need a bit more given the cast and the visuals. I think the brand should be enough and the fact that Strange looks way more interesting than Ant Man

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By jumpstart55

Doctor Strange Begins..... is going to make alot of money..600-800 millie..At Least.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I betting it'll do better than expected due to the reviews being so good.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*UPDATE:

Counted:43 Fresh:42 rotten:1

98% RT*

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I betting it'll do better than expected due to the reviews being so good.

Most likely. Getting great reviews can't possibly hurt. I expect opening weekend to be $75m+ now. No idea how well it will play overseas though.