Is Wonder Woman actually queer?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fde563552b5
deactivated-59fde563552b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I haven't seen this posted on Comicvine anywhere, and I'm kinda surprised. Either I am truly incompetent in the ways of the Internet, or no one really has posted about this. Anyways, here is what I'm talking about...

https://www.cnet.com/news/wonder-woman-queer-comic-book-writer-says/

Basically, comic book writer Greg Rucka has said that Wonder Woman has had relationships with both women and men, and gives all sorts of reasons as to why, such as that Themyscira is populated only by women, etc. Naturally, all kinds of news sites, particularly left leaning ones, are ecstatic and singing praises and such.

I don't know much about Wonder Woman and her history, but I certainly like her. I'm asking if people on this site, who some definitely know much more about her than I do, think this is just another liberal move in the comic book industry that is pushing gender and sexual flexibility, or is this move actually consistent with the character?

I do apologize if this topic has already been made. If it has, my question about my Internet competence is answered.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Using the phrase Queer was a mistake on his part

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Queer might be the incorrect term as I thought it only applied to people who strictly enjoy same sex relationships. Unless it's changed in this day and age. She's bisexual.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It makes sense that Wonder Woman's bisexual given her upbringing, however last year Catwoman was also revealed to be bisexual, and both Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn have had an implied at the very least, sexual relationship. I understand the necessity for characters to appeal to a broader range of the community and for people of all type to find representation, however it's starting to look like all of the women of DC swing both ways. Is this really the way to solve underrepresentation?

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Penguin-Dust: I feel like Harley and Ivy were subtly implied in TAS which translated into comics once Harley was integrated. Again it was more of hints. Catwoman never made sense to me but I think you might be right about DC trying to change sexes to represent people who barely read comics. I mean I like gay characters and bisexual ones like Moondragon, Midnighter, etc but having Alan Scott and Aqualad be randomly gay seemed off imo.

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It would make sense that Wonder Woman is bi-sexual

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weren't the Amazon's raping men in WW earlier books so they can get pregnant?!??

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By SaintWildcard

Weren't the Amazon's raping men in WW earlier books so they can get pregnant?!??

Retconned by the same guy who made this quote.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SaintWildcard

WW is late to the party and her being Bi is nothing big, but will come off as a desperate cry for attention and cramming in diversity, even though it makes sense it should have been done decades ago. Despite the writers intentions, it falls flat to anyone who isn't on TUmblr.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorxhadesx420: I like to forget that and as SWC said it was retconned. I like Azzarellos run for what it is, but that never say right with me

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Bi yes, lesbian will be pandering and out of character.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not yet in the comics......

@emperorxhadesx420 said:

Retconned by the same guy who made this quote.

Two different writers....

Lets be honest her being queer has been hinted at since she was created..... Wiki William Moulton Marston.....

EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Would you mind telling me which comic??

You know I'm referring to the Amazon men being taken in by Hephaestus..???

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, all the girls are lil bit bi.

EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems a bit PC to me.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marston lived with two wives and was a feminist. Do the math.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I thought Queer in modern context is just a word to describe an LGBT person. If Wondy has been with women, she fits that descriptor.

I'm 100% for it, it makes sense that a feminist icon that breaks gender norms, breaks sexuality norms too. LGBT Wondy is a great idea I'm surprised I haven't thought about too closely.

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wonder woman definitely sports a bush

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Erik_Soong

It seems that in this new universe, Rucka intends for her to be lesbian. This is totally fine and I don't see why it's an issue. His reasoning however, is pretty ignorant.

DanMarshall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not super familiar with Wonder Woman but know enough to get what shes generally about. I've always thought she was a character who could go both ways sexually, even as a young kid it wouldn't have surprised me to see her interested in other women, I dont get what the big deal is other than how the writer worded his response.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As Grant Morrison says, it's likely that the historic lack of men (and the hatred of men) on Themyscera means that most Amazons are queer.

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesnt seem far fetched.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So if I'm getting this correct: your surrounding define you're sexuality? Good to know.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15 said:

So if I'm getting this correct: your surrounding define you're sexuality? Good to know.

Exactly what I was thinking. Using Rucka's logic, there would never have been homosexuality in the first place. It's stupid.

Avatar image for super_saiyan_devil
Super_Saiyan_Devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My fanfiction would like to think she's gay...

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two different writers....

Lets be honest her being queer has been hinted at since she was created..... Wiki William Moulton Marston.....

... wut? Rucka made this quote and is the one currently writing WW isn't He?

@saintwildcard: Would you mind telling me which comic??

You know I'm referring to the Amazon men being taken in by Hephaestus..???

In Which comic what? In which comic is it retconned? If so, in the current WW Rebirth title.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: How was it retconned? I haven't been reading Rebirth. Was it time travel stuff like Flashpoint, or did they just changed it without explanation?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: How was it retconned? I haven't been reading Rebirth. Was it time travel stuff like Flashpoint, or did they just changed it without explanation?

As of now they are pinning all the darkness and shitty writing on Dr., Manhattan. I'm not reading the title, but from what I've seen, they are basically saying that Diana has been lied to and her history is all messed up. She doesn't know what's real anymore...... that's the jist of it. At some point it will be revealed who's behind it, but I'm guessing it's gonna be connected to Dr. Manhattan

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Rucka's reasoning for Wondy being LGBT is dumb. Sexuality isn't really determined by your surroundings. He should've just said for decades Wondy has been showing women they can be whatever they want to be, now she can show them that they can be gay too.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Lvenger

Agreed on the surroundings criticism for Rucka's justification on Wonder Woman being bi. Most studies have shown it's a combination of both that decide what someone's sexual preference is. I'm not opposed to Wonder Woman being LGBT in the way I am with Iceman (god how that was done was the worst), the problem is that it's really pandering in this day and age. Moreover, now that Rucka has opened the door, some people will want even more 'visibility' for LGBT representation by making Wonder Woman openly queer which even a white knight like Rucka doesn't want.

@erik_soong said:

It seems that in this new universe, Rucka intends for her to be lesbian. This is totally fine and I don't see why it's an issue. His reasoning however, is pretty ignorant.

I think he intends for her to be bi actually, The Lies storyline looks to be reconnecting Diana and Steve whereas the Year One storyline had the queer panels.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It saddens me that people have to change their characters or comics in order to appeal to a certain group to not be labeled "sexists, rapists, and bigots"

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: The Iceman one was just awful. I would've fired Bendis for that

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is straight white male the only thing considered normal? Seeing as how whenever it's a character that's gay or a different character it's considered pandering.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Lvenger

@nerevarine_11: He made two characters gay with one idiotic mind reading retcon.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fde563552b5
deactivated-59fde563552b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@righteous300: It's pandering when a character that has been historically one way, let's just say straight, and then suddenly is "revealed" to be different, like gay.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godofthunder4: see that would be true, but characters like Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz, Duke Thomas, and at one point Batwoman were considered PC or pandering, so at what point are characters like them considered normal?

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Good to know Batman won't be the only queer Justice Leaguer. :)

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would Baz or Cruz be considered PC pandering? One of the best things about the Lantern corps is that there's thousands of them. And Cruz isn't even a traditional lantern.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15:A women around only others ladies all her life who are taught that men are awful human being might help someone grow to a lesbian if the opposite is look down upon. That being said of course is done to developed WW character once she learn about men and everything, but again I don't see the big deal if she bi. Full on gay however, RIOT (or move on with my life since is a fictional character, and someone sex orieantation should not change others opinion about them).

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

@tvc-15:A women around only others ladies all her life who are taught that men are awful human being might help someone grow to a lesbian if the opposite is look down upon. That being said of course is done to developed WW character once she learn about men and everything, but again I don't see the big deal if she bi. Full on gay however, RIOT (or move on with my life since is a fictional character, and someone sex orieantation should not change others opinion about them).

Yeah pretty much this. I mean this is a special circumstance given that most humans grow up around the opposite sex and encounter them daily. WW grew up on an Island solely of women, with a worldview that is pro-women under the protection of the patrons of Olympus many of whom were Gaea, Hera, Artemis, Athena etc. And the Amazons already had a disdain for man's world.

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be amazed if shes not at least bi.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By Yassassin

@jgames:

grow to a lesbian if the opposite is look down upon.

So you agree, you can grow into a sexuality. Good to know.

esco1199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares man, all you people freaking out about changes need to understand that these characters hit a wall and need to replaced or get a huge twist. I am stoked Iron Man is becoming a black teenage girl, Jane foster as Thor, a china man as hulk, etc....just enjoy the these stories until they inevitably bring the original characters back.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Erik_Soong

@lvenger said:

Agreed on the surroundings criticism for Rucka's justification on Wonder Woman being bi. Most studies have shown it's a combination of both that decide what someone's sexual preference is. I'm not opposed to Wonder Woman being LGBT in the way I am with Iceman (god how that was done was the worst), the problem is that it's really pandering in this day and age. Moreover, now that Rucka has opened the door, some people will want even more 'visibility' for LGBT representation by making Wonder Woman openly queer which even a white knight like Rucka doesn't want.

@erik_soong said:

I think he intends for her to be bi actually, The Lies storyline looks to be reconnecting Diana and Steve whereas the Year One storyline had the queer panels.

Oh okay. My mistake. I haven't read it, just the articles posted on his reasoning.

Errorinscript

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godofthunder4: Just Becuase She may not seem or be atracted to Dudes Doesnt make her Queer

She could be anti sexual or something IDK.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15 said:

@jgames:

grow to a lesbian if the opposite is look down upon.

So you agree, you can grow into a sexuality. Good to know.

Sure, in country where gay is consider a crime, I bet many people are less declined to follow those urges, and even going as far as dating their opposing sexual orientation just like many in the past. Sexuality can definitely be influence. Also please use the full sentence when quoting, because it look like you are purposely misquoting me as I did said it can help someone, not turn them.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of you are acting like Rucka is making her into some hardcore man hating lesbian. Not the case at all. She was raised, depending on some origins for thousands of years, on an a "women only" island. And island very much modeled after the Island of Lesbos in Greece (for you history buffs out there). The guy that created her lived and had a polyamourous relationship with two wives, who were probably bisexual themselves.

Wtf is the problem? Is Wonder Woman being bisexual stopping y'all from fantasizing and beating off to her? There is nothing to be mad at here. Rucka saying Diana is bi is like Ferdinand Magellan saying the Earth is round.