Is this MCU Captain America's best durability feat?

• 69 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c30485311cf6
deactivated-5c30485311cf6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Title.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so. I feel like this scene was kinda meant to make Cap look good but I don't know if I can buy that Thanos put any serious effort into that punch. Dude wreaked the Hulk in like 12 hits.

Rebake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A similar punch ko'd BP with his suit, so probably. But it's not like Steve tanked it since he also got ko'd. His bones are more or less intact, so it's still pretty impressive, but not really a great feat for battles unless it's to argue he will survive something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

I don't think so. I feel like this scene was kinda meant to make Cap look good but I don't know if I can buy that Thanos put any serious effort into that punch. Dude wreaked the Hulk in like 12 hits.

He definitely put in way more effort than Superman did when backhanding Batman in Justice League though. I mean Thanos punched Cap right in the face. Even if we assume that he used only 10% of his strength there, it's still pretty darn impressive, right? What other durability feats do you think Cap has that are better than this?

TheMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He didnt tank it. But at the same time im sure a regular human would have his skull crushed.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleidd said:
@amcu said:

He definitely put in way more effort than Superman did when backhanding Batman in Justice League though. I mean Thanos punched Cap right in the face. Even if we assume that he used only 10% of his strength there, it's still pretty darn impressive, right? What other durability feats do you think Cap has that are better than this?

I don't know if Thanos used 10% or 0.0001%. Essentially I don't count this feat for Cap's durability. I don't know how to quantify it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebake said:

A similar punch ko'd BP with his suit, so probably. But it's not like Steve tanked it since he also got ko'd. His bones are more or less intact, so it's still pretty impressive, but not really a great feat for battles unless it's to argue he will survive something.

We saw what a casual kick from the Hulk did to Blonsky in The Incredible Hulk. Cap took a punch right in the face from Thanos, who is stronger than the Hulk, and was perfectly fine moments later without any visible injuries.

TheyCallMeBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think being hit by repulsor blasts is still his best durability feat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:
@bleidd said:
@amcu said:

I don't know if Thanos used 10% or 0.0001%. Essentially I don't count this feat for Cap's durability. I don't know how to quantify it.

Well, I'm pretty sure he used more than 0.0001%, lol. That's kind of lowballing the feat. Thanos was clearly annoyed that Cap was able to resist him for as long as he did and there was a grimace on his face when he punched Cap. Also a similar punch KO'ed BP in his suit, so I think it's a legit durability feat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think being hit by repulsor blasts is still his best durability feat.

Nah, repulsors are pretty weak. Even normal humans have survived them.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleidd said:

Well, I'm pretty sure he used more than 0.0001%, lol. That's kind of lowballing the feat. Thanos was clearly annoyed that Cap was able to resist him for as long as he did and there was a grimace on his face when he punched Cap. Also a similar punch KO'ed BP in his suit, so I think it's a legit durability feat.

Thanos was likely impressed with Cap's determination. I wouldn't say he was clearly annoyed. He was more amazed at Cap's will power and than after his momentary amazment decided to take Cap down and proceed to do go after Vision.

I don't recall seeing any grimace on Thanos's face.

I consider Cap and Black Panther to be portrayed as equals without the suit. Him being as durable as T'Challa with the suit doesn't make sense. I don't think I'm gonna buy it until there is further evidence.

Also there is literally 0% chance of my lowballing one of Cap's feats. I'm one of if not the biggest MCU Cap fan on this site. I literally joined just to post a feat for him that I didn't think people had noticed. I simply am not interpreting this feat the same way you are. Not lowballing.

TheyCallMeBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu:

Thanos was likely impressed with Cap's determination. I wouldn't say he was clearly annoyed. He was more amazed at Cap's will power and than after his momentary amazment decided to take Cap down and proceed to do go after Vision.

I don't recall seeing any grimace on Thanos's face.

See for yourself. That's right before he punched Cap.

No Caption Provided

I consider Cap and Black Panther to be portrayed as equals without the suit. Him being as durable as T'Challa with the suit doesn't make sense. I don't think I'm gonna buy it until there is further evidence.

T'Challa was in his suit and still got KO'ed. I mean I don't see why Thanos would hit T'Challa harder than he did Cap.

No Caption Provided

Also there is literally 0% chance of my lowballing one of Cap's feats. I'm one of if not the biggest MCU Cap fan on this site. I literally joined just to post a feat for him that I didn't think people had noticed. I simply am not interpreting this feat the same way you are. Not lowballing.

I wasn't accusing you of lowballing, haha. It just sounded like something a Cap hater would say.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleidd: You've got me on the grimacing thing. I don't know why Thanos was grimacing but I do think he was holding back. Otherwise a lot of people would all of the sudden be nearly as powerful as Thor or Hulk. I don't think I buy into that feat. It's not that I think there is any proof that Thanos was trying harder on BP. It's just that I don't know how to know what level of force he was putting on everyone. And I don't believe he was giving his all. It's likely that Cap taking that punch the same way T'Challa did is simply that for plot purposes they didn't want him to die in that scene.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Russo-force Cap is a god. I thought this was established by AoU.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

@bleidd: You've got me on the grimacing thing. I don't know why Thanos was grimacing but I do think he was holding back. Otherwise a lot of people would all of the sudden be nearly as powerful as Thor or Hulk. I don't think I buy into that feat. It's not that I think there is any proof that Thanos was trying harder on BP. It's just that I don't know how to know what level of force he was putting on everyone. And I don't believe he was giving his all. It's likely that Cap taking that punch the same way T'Challa did is simply that for plot purposes they didn't want him to die in that scene.

Yeah well obviously he was holding back. In fact, I don't think he was giving his all against the Hulk either. Those didn't look like his strongest hits. But I don't think we should disregard this as a durability feat completely and we also shouldn't assume that since Thanos was holding back, anyone should be able to survive that punch.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Amcu

@bleidd: It's not that I would assume that anyone can survive it. I just don't count it as a great feat for Cap. When discussing who could survive that I would simply compare them to Cap and ask if they where durable enough to survive a hit that knocks Steve out.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HeroUp2112

@amcu said:

I think that there's a LITTLE proof that T'Challa was hit harder to some degree. Thanos cocked his fist back to his shoulder and punched Steve, who was planted and trying to take the blow. Panther was suspended with his head sticking above Thanos' hand. Thanos brought his arm further (I hesitate to say MUCH further, but definitely further) and pounded Panther in the head and out of his hand and down onto the ground. I won't say he hit him a TON harder, but Panther definitely got hit harder to some degree.

Obviously I'm a big Captain America guy too, but Steve did get instantly knocked the hell out by this punch and the greater part of his body (half his head was behind the shield) was behind the shield and the shield took almost all of the blow and it STILL knocked Steve out. I'm of the opinion that the shield is why Cap survived it at all.

EDIT: I just watched the clip about fifteen to twenty times. It's VERY hard to see how much of the punch caught the shield and/or how much hit Cap's head. I can easily see this being up for debate.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe Thanos didn't want to kill any of them. He wanted to give them a 50/50 chance of existence with his finger snap.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By slimj87d

@heroup2112: From a striking/posture/technique stand point, the way T'Challa was hit wasn't nearly as bad because Thanos rotated and holding T'Challa would make him rotate with Thanos whole body.

I'm not arguing what his is truly harder as I believe Thanos overall held back on everyone. Read my most post above. I believe Thanos didn't have intent to kill anyone there. He wanted the gauntlet to judge who should live and who should die randomly.

Otherwise he could have just wiped all opposition away with the reality stone right off the bat.

Edit: how much hit the shield? 0% hit the shield. Watch it in 1/8 the speed if you need to.

Edit: how much hit the shield? 0% hit the shield. Watch it in 1/8 the speed if you need to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

I think that there's a LITTLE proof that T'Challa was hit harder to some degree. Thanos cocked his fist back to his shoulder and punched Steve, who was planted and trying to take the blow. Panther was suspended with his head sticking above Thanos' hand. Thanos brought his arm further (I hesitate to say MUCH further, but definitely further) and pounded Panther in the head and out of his hand and down onto the ground. I won't say he hit him a TON harder, but Panther definitely got hit harder to some degree.

Obviously I'm a big Captain America guy too, but Steve did get instantly knocked the hell out by this punch and the greater part of his body (half his head was behind the shield) was behind the shield and the shield took almost all of the blow and it STILL knocked Steve out. I'm of the opinion that the shield is why Cap survived it at all.

EDIT: I just watched the clip about fifteen to twenty times. It's VERY hard to see how much of the punch caught the shield and/or how much hit Cap's head. I can easily see this being up for debate.

There was no shield.

No Caption Provided

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleidd said:
@heroup2112 said:
@amcu said:

There was no shield.

No Caption Provided

Weeeeellll, slowed down that much I just feel silly. What I thought was his little shield thing was evidently his shoulder pad. Thanos had dragged his arm and shield out of the way before the hit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: So what do you think about the feat now? Keep in mind a similar hit knocked out Black Panther in his suit.

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleidd: Why didn't black panthers suit just absorb the kinetic energy?

hulkuberstomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

It is Thanos fist's best durability feat

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
deactivated-5c830d4e319e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke512: There must be a limit to the amount of kinetic energy it can absorb.

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@bleidd:

It is not that hard TBH. The surface area of Thanos punch is so much larger, it's basically like Cap fall to the ground with face down, that's it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

I believe Thanos didn't want to kill any of them. He wanted to give them a 50/50 chance of existence with his finger snap.

I agree that Thanos held back a lot but I find it hard to believe that he knew the exact amount of force that he had to put behind that punch to knock out Cap without killing or severely injuring him.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it’s a durability feat that Thanos didn’t get his hand broken.

mindleech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap's melon is so durable, that blacksmiths could use it as an anvil.

Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest cap should have died, if hulk punched him in the face he'd be dead within 1-3 hits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:
@bleidd said:
@slimj87d said:

I agree that Thanos held back a lot but I find it hard to believe that he knew the exact amount of force that he had to put behind that punch to knock out Cap without killing or severely injuring him.

Not really, I am sure you could punch a baby with enough force to KO or kill. It's not too hard to gauge.

So you're saying that you can KO a baby without causing him / her any serious injury?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rogueshadow  Moderator

Perfect opportunity for the Thanos pimplslap and they missed it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perfect opportunity for the Thanos pimplslap and they missed it.

They're saving it for Avengers 4.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Havenless

We don't know if Thanos is swatting a fly here, because realistically if he weren't, Cap would have been obliterated. Plus Cap is knocked out, or he would have assisted Wanda moments later. So it's not full strength Thanos, and Cap is KO'd anyway.

Can we beat that? Durability isn't just about what he survived, it's also about what shape he was in when he survived it. What did he do immediately after? Was he conscious? Was he at full strength? Shrugging off a car accident for instance is more impressive than limping away from a bullet wound, even though people glorify the gunshot more. It's not just about the injury, but the state you're in afterward.

What if he got hit by something that is more definable as something that would instantly kill a person, then he fell 50+ feet into a pile of steel, and then had to immediately get up and defeat his relative-equal who hadn't been injured at all up to this point?

No Caption Provided

The shield may have absorbed the initial blow, but being knocked back into that car at the speed he was before he even fell off the could very well cripple a normal person right then and there. Spinal, pelvis, both legs turned into jigsaw puzzles. If Thanos punched Batman and he survived, you could play it off as, "Thanos didn't want to kill him, he was just pushing him out of the way." If Batman performed this stunt, it would take you out of the movie because there is no realistic way Bruce Wayne is still alive. And then he gets up to battle the antagonist. That's durability.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havenless: That's actually very good analysis, but you do remember what a casual kick from the Hulk did to Blonsky, right?

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: really? I did martial arts growing up and sparring. I have no clue how much force it takes to KO a baby.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Of course not. Thanos was holding back so that he didn't kill Steve.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 anthp2000  Moderator

No.

If Thanos was any serious he would have killed him.

MalkavtheMaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos in that whole movie was not going for the kill. The only exceptions where Heimdal and Loki both were storypoints for Thor's arc. Heimdal because he ruined his fun of beating on the hulk. Loki for failing him and then trying to kill him.

So its impressive but its also Thanos not really trying. Its a grimace of effort he just looks serious. I think he was just more impressed by Cap's willpower to stand there against him so he was trying not to go all out on him. After all we see he left the Guardians and Tony and the others alive on Titan when he had absolutely no reason not to just kill them all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

If Thanos was any serious he would have killed him.

Yeah but still, does it count as a durability feat considering that a similar hit knocked out Black Panther in his suit?

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 anthp2000  Moderator

@bleidd:

Course it's a durability feat, since he's hit by something and survives, but he has better ones that are actually quantifiable and more serious. Taking hits from Bucky's metal arm for instance.

I don't remember how T'Challa was knocked out tbh, so I can't say. But Cap is nowhere near a suited Panther's durability (he's probably more durable without the suit).

AngelJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 anthp2000  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleidd:

Course it's a durability feat, since he's hit by something and survives, but he has better ones that are actually quantifiable and more serious. Taking hits from Bucky's metal arm for instance.

I don't remember how T'Challa was knocked out tbh, so I can't say. But Cap is nowhere near a suited Panther's durability (he's probably more durable without the suit).

No Caption Provided

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 anthp2000  Moderator

@bleidd:

The force was probably just enough to KO both of them. The punch does seem similar.

Given they both got KOed, I don't think that makes Cap comparable to T'Challa in terms of durability. But at least his skull didn't break.