• 63 results
#1 Edited by Wilkins17 (385 posts) - - Show Bio

The MCU has been doing great this year with Black Panther and one of the greatest Movies of all Time Avengers Infinty War.

but i hear that the next 20 Marvel movies will all be directed by Women.

i dont have a problem with women directors but why?

it seems as thoug they people in charge pick them soley for the fact because the are women which makes no sense to me.

and i have seen that the actress playing Captain Marvel Brie Larsson say something along the lines of

"i dont want to hear White men review a movie i want to see more Black & Women reviewers".

i want to know what you guys think.

#2 Edited by cattlebattle (17630 posts) - - Show Bio

Wilkins17 marked this as the best answer

@Penguin-Dust said:

@handofprometheus said:

Why are yall so threatened by women?

This. I don’t get it at all, either. Bad stories are bad stories regardless of the character’s or director’s gender. Unless you’re a misogynist and you believe that anything created by a woman or featuring a woman is automatically inferior then you shouldn’t worry so much about gender diversity in front of and behind the lens/pen.

This, is what's called a "strawman"

He never said he hated women.

Men are the majority of film directors globally without question, and comic book/action/sci fi films is a genre that's definitely more favored globally by men than it is women. It would be like if you were making a TV show or special about rap music and you only casted or hired white women despite the majority of rappers being black males.

It's basically affirmative action on acid. People live in the 1st world and have no actual real problems so they complain about non issues on social media and guys like Kevin Fiege, who can't say no to any of these people at risk of being called a bigot has to appease them. Chris Claremont, a male, half Jew, made extremely prominent strides with women in comics in the 80s when he exhaustively had nearly every team be led by a woman and had women characters drive his comics, but because it felt organic and he didn't constantly bitch about female empowerment in the letters pages nobody minded it. He is often held in high esteem by liberal types because of this, and demonstrates that you don't have to be a certain gender, religion, race, ethnicity etc. to write or produce a story about a person that you are different from.

There is a huge difference between "hey, I am going to hire this woman because she is a woman" and "hey, I am going to hire this woman because she made a film and has certain talents I believe can be applied to the films were making" You people are putting way too much stock that Fiege is fully driven by the latter and not the former, which is bullshit that you are aware of but pretend you're not.

#3 Posted by The_Magister (13490 posts) - - Show Bio

Hold this L

#4 Edited by Wilkins17 (385 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by KanyeCosby (6953 posts) - - Show Bio

There’s a difference between being liberal and being an SJW.

#6 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

The MCU has been doing great this year with Black Panther and one of the greatest Movies of all Time Avengers Infinty War.

it seems as thoug they people in charge pick them soley for the fact because the are women which makes no sense to me.

and i have seen that the actress playing Captain Marvel Brie Larsson say something along the lines of

"i dont want to hear White men review a movie i want to see more Black & Women reviewers".

lol

#7 Posted by nfactor1995 (12828 posts) - - Show Bio

It most definitely will go that way. The start of that being Captain Marvel.

#8 Posted by GateOfBabylon (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you have a source for this?

#9 Posted by Wilkins17 (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@gateofbabylon: search for " kevine feige promises more female dirctors. and the first article should be it.

#10 Edited by Wilkins17 (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruceveidt: it is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bae6e10f11f4
#11 Posted by deactivated-5bae6e10f11f4 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope so

#12 Posted by kgb725 (18385 posts) - - Show Bio

James Gunn , Coogler , possibly Taika... yea a bunch of women

#13 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruceveidt: it is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Says who?

It's not even the best comic book movie.

#14 Posted by Kirkseven (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

Ew.

They did manage to make Black panther a decent movie though, ill let them give it a shot.

#15 Posted by modernww2fare (7017 posts) - - Show Bio

God forbid more focus on females

#16 Posted by GateOfBabylon (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

@wilkins17: I found the article, actually he said

“I cannot promise that all 20 Marvel movies will have female directors but a heck of a lot of them will,”

So at least we know not all 20 movies will have female directors. Kevin Feige must be pretty smart to bring the MCU to what it is today, hopefully he doesn't make such a dumb feminist decision.

I agree with you though, the whole point of gender equal opportunities is that both genders get equal chances. Fixing it so that it has to be females defeats the purpose of gender equality.

#17 Posted by RBT (27160 posts) - - Show Bio

#18 Edited by Wilkins17 (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruceveidt: because no movie has ever done this before. it was able to jugle a ton heroes with amazing action, effects, acting and it diden't fill rushed or crowded.

this movie will go down in history as one of of of the greast cinamatic achievements in history.

#19 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruceveidt: because no movie has ever done this before. it was able to jugle a ton heroes with amazing action, effects, acting and it dident fill rushed or crowded.

this movie will go down in history as one of of of the greast cinamatic achivments in history.

There's a difference between achieving something and being one of the greatest films of all time.

Once you get over the hype of seeing that many heroes, it's an average movie with action and pretty visuals.

If you think IW is this good then that's you, but you need to watch a lot more movies.

#20 Posted by Wilkins17 (385 posts) - - Show Bio

i never said i don't want to see more female directors. but i don't want movies to be directed by women soley for the fact that they are women.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#21 Posted by IndomitableRegal (15658 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as it doesn't mess with the quality of the movies, I'm good.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#22 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6021 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Chubbs (892 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn’t be surprised if they headed in that direction, but at the same time I think they may have learned a thing or two from the way the new Star Wars trilogy has turned out so far.

The biggest mistake companies can make is to try to make SJWs happy. They are NEVER happy! They will always find something stupid to complain about!

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#24 Edited by The_living_tribunal_24 (6021 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as we get wendell quasar, and nova rider, I'm fine with it.

#25 Posted by FaradaySloth (8490 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol no but they will go borderline with it on Captain Marvel (i'll die if she one-shots Thanos)

#26 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering it is the MCU and as such will be dancing to Feige's tunes overall, I dont see it as a major difference that will somehow ruin the product. But yeah, rushing out the door and shouting about the intention to balance everything rather than just do it organically, does feel like they are saying 'look at us and our big lack of diversity! we'll fix it now!'.

#27 Posted by Gaoron (8248 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope not but with Disney everything is possible. They already ruined Star Wars, MCU could be next :/

#28 Edited by AngryHulks (3735 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol no but they will go borderline with it on Captain Marvel (i'll die if she one-shots Thanos)

Unlikely, critics pointed out over and over that making a single character as a sole solution to a villain is what made Justice League failed. I don't think Marvel is going to make that kind of mistake considering that's its rival's biggest flaw.

#30 Posted by Emanresu_20 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

I said it before and I’ll say it again. People were doing the same thing to Black Panther and they were wrong about it.

#31 Posted by Helloman (28515 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't matter to me unless it affects the quality.

#32 Edited by Lan_Fan (12682 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, and it will ruin MCU, just like how it ruined Marvel comic.

#33 Edited by Heatforce (5898 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this in alt account? Doesn't seem to be a you-know-who post but I still can't take it seriously.

#34 Posted by Y2G (426 posts) - - Show Bio

Catering to SJW's is business suicide. We have no reason to believe Marvel will not continue to put out a great product that most individuals enjoy.

#35 Posted by Lan_Fan (12682 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this in alt account? Doesn't seem to be a you-know-who post but I still can't take it seriously.

Wilkins has been posting for quite a while.

#36 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@chubbs said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they headed in that direction, but at the same time I think they may have learned a thing or two from the way the new Star Wars trilogy has turned out so far.

The biggest mistake companies can make is to try to make SJWs happy. They are NEVER happy! They will always find something stupid to complain about!

The last two main SW movies have made bank, though. If you're talking about Solo though, nobody cared. We all know how that story ends.

Does it matter? If they announced the next 20 movies would have male directors, would you claim they were going full MRA?

#37 Posted by ThunderPrince (6927 posts) - - Show Bio

@chubbs said:

This.

#38 Posted by ImMadNice (1226 posts) - - Show Bio

If Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 are good I'll be happy. Don't care if it starts to crumble afterward (although an avengers team of Thor, BP, Strange, Spidey, Wanda, Captain Marvel, Bucky as Cap would be pretty awesome to see)

#39 Posted by mrmonster (14670 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope not, but that may be a real possibility.

I vote that for now, we give Kevin Fiege the benefit of the doubt. Maybe after Avengers 4 he will go full blown SJW, but for now, let's just assume he won't and wait and see what happens next.

#40 Posted by incursion2 (1885 posts) - - Show Bio

@chubbs said:

This.

#41 Posted by Wilkins17 (385 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#42 Posted by Alsimmons77 (1556 posts) - - Show Bio

@wilkins17:

and one of the greatest Movies of all Time Avengers Infinty War.

No Caption Provided

#43 Posted by byrd42 (781 posts) - - Show Bio

You are really jumping the gun on this.

From one of the articles-

A questioner had suggested to Feige during the Q&A part of the session that the next 20 Marvel films should be directed by women.

“I cannot promise that all 20 Marvel movies will have female directors but a heck of a lot of them will,” he said, evoking major applause.

At this point, MCU has never had a woman director, so even 5 out of the next 20 would be deemed "a heck of a lot" to Feige.

Let's wait and see how Captain Marvel turns out before we start complaining about women directors. Wonder Woman had a woman director and that is easily considered the best of all DCEU films, and IMO is the best DC super hero movie ever made. If Captain Marvel turns out just as popular maybe more women directors is the way to go?

Avatar image for stalin-is-steel
#44 Posted by Stalin-Is-Steel (3586 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares?

#45 Posted by Wilkins17 (385 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#46 Posted by LEGACY6364 (7441 posts) - - Show Bio

@chubbs said:

Perfectly said.

#47 Posted by Tomkatie (3268 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:

#48 Posted by Apocofist (3028 posts) - - Show Bio

Having female directors is fine.

So long as their work is handled as well as Black Panther and not forcing their political views down people's throats all should be well.

Besides, Im pretty sure that Disney doesn't want the MCU to suffer from the same issues that Marvel NOW did.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
#49 Posted by HandOfPrometheus (878 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are yall so threatened by women?

#50 Posted by SocaJunkie (8357 posts) - - Show Bio

There’s nothing wrong with having more female directors, that isn’t SJW but it’s a big red flag when there’s any sort of complaint when the subject is not wanting white men to do something or implying their views shouldn’t be listened to.

That’s SJW.