Is the mcu as a whole overrated?

• 63 results
Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know I use use the word overrated a lot this past month but I want to see what people got to say. We often see people say how great the mcu is yet is the mcu even that great? I feel like a lot of the movies are carried by the mcu brand.

I mean how many average mcu films are there Compared to winter soldier or infinity war And yet they still make a lot of money. speaking of which I think doctor strange is underrated

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

#2  Edited By shroudofsorrow

No

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated and Underrated is a staple of CV threads, it's only natural that you should be using them a lot. But to address the question itself, MCU is just a big collection of average to slightly above average movies, so yes it's quite overrated.

Eri_Joni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's with these underrated and overrated threads?

And no it isn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you agent of chaos ?

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the movies are overrated. The feat of building a commercially successful cinematic universe isn't.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmnb2wavy: ahahaha

Now I understand better your other thread.

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dmnb2wavy

@bullpr said:

@dmnb2wavy: ahahaha

Now I understand better your other thread.

?...........Are you trying to say I hate the mcu or I’m the chaos guy? Bc it’s neither. Iron man is one of my favorite movies but as a whole the mcu is overrated

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cocacolaman  Moderator

I think everything is overrated and underrated by default of it being an existing thing. But I really don't think so.

Other than children whose opinions aren't valid for the most part, a lot of adults and older teens can make their own opinions with little bias. I don't think it needs to be said that just about everyone on this site would never even think of comparing most MCU movies to something like the Nolan trilogy (other than the Avengers movies and the last two CA movies, nothing even remotely compares) and a lot of people even rate Snyder's DCEU movies high in relation. The only movies in the MCU which get considerable praise, in my experience, are

• Iron Man
  • Avengers
  • Winter Soldier
  • Civil War
  • Black Panther
  • Infinity War
  • Endgame

The other movies are never compared on a pure quality level to genuinely great movies. I never actually saw Iron Man 1, but the Avengers movies are truly well made for what they were meant to be: Hype-inducing, fun, world building CBMs. The Winter Soldier, Civil War and Black Panther were less CBMs and more real people with powers. The Winter Soldier really is the peak of pure quality in the MCU, let's be real. I like the Avengers a lot better, but nothing in the MCU is on the same level of TWS when it comes to story telling. The Avengers come close, like, really close, but none of them could have worked alone. Winter Solider would have only needed a tweak or two and it could have been its own thing. Civil War is a terrific exploration of true values and morals in the world, with how we all would react if rampaging monsters threw away our cars and gods of nature tore down our buildings as they fought against villains. The Steve/Tony relationship and character development is INSANE. Black Panther... IDK lol.

But for the most part, if you ask those that are reliable, you will find that not many MCU movies are well regarded in quality ALONE. I don't think it is overrated at all.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I know I use use the word overrated a lot this past month but I want to see what people got to say. We often see people say how great the mcu is yet is the mcu even that great? I feel like a lot of the movies are carried by the mcu brand.

I mean how many average mcu films are there Compared to winter soldier or infinity war And yet they still make a lot of money. speaking of which I think doctor strange is underrated

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. The MCU is way way way overrated. The only good ones are I would say, Iron Man 1 and Captain America 1.

I still wonder how all these movies got so popular.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god, yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d67336d00fb3
deactivated-5d67336d00fb3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't find it overrated at all.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As whole the MCU is underrated actually because of how well made the whole universe is.

However many individual movies are overrated for sure. A lot of times I see one of those garbage Marvel memes that are "looking deep" into the meaning of the scene when it literally means nothing. MCU movies can be much better if they were more risky but then there's a risk of hurting the whole interconnected universe if something gets too out of place.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all

Boby501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Boby501

Yes mainly due to some mediocre films like Black Panther or Iron Man 3.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, considering how many studios have tried to emulate their formula and have crashed and burned. If it were easy, everyone would do it.

Marvelitez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes it's obvious

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It isn’t overrated. It is really only people on this site who despise it.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Penguin-Dust

No, it’s an amazing accomplishment both cinematically and financially. Four of the Top Ten grossing movies of all time are MCU movies.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mimisalome

Almost all of them are typical popcorn flick.

Entertaining and satisfying but are generally dumb and shallow (and in the last stretch of the arc, it gets laughably pretentious).

None of them reach the intellectual depth of The Dark Knight, nor the dramatic narrative of Logan.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it’s an amazing accomplishment both cinematically and financially. Four of the Top Ten grossing movies of all time are MCU movies.

Grossing doesn't mean "of quality".

Sure it's amazing to have earned to much with so little quality.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No actually. As a whole, I don't think anyone will ever replicate what they did--are still doing. Especially not with this level of success, while being pretty high quality overall.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly the fact the MCU worked is probably underrated in terms of how impressive that was.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No actually. As a whole, I don't think anyone will ever replicate what they did--are still doing. Especially not with this level of success, while being pretty high quality overall.

@kevd4wg said:

Honestly the fact the MCU worked is probably underrated in terms of how impressive that was.

Pretty much this. I can understand what Disney/MCU have built, and are doing not being ones cup of tea per say, but to call it overrated at this point comes off incredibly shallow and disrespectful

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

A lot of its movies are average at best but since we are to judge this as a whole, I don't think it's overrated. It accomplished something a lot have tried to copy ever since without success and just this shows us how difficult something like this can be.

Doom_Phd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes it is, one long nostalgic film to send off RDJ and Chris Evans. IW is far superior and it’s not even funny

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dmnb2wavy

@mazahs117 said:
@indomitableregal said:

@kevd4wg said:

Pretty much this. I can understand what Disney/MCU have built, and are doing not being ones cup of tea per say, but to call it overrated at this point comes off incredibly shallow and disrespectful

No not really. A lot of people can agree on the fact most of the mcu movies are average And not that good. Sure they built up something Cool but how many average movies do we need to get before we have another winter Soldier or infinity war? Mcu is just quantity over quality honestly

Avatar image for supermanfan1938
Supermanfan1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. They are enjoyable for the family to watch on a weekend, but not as in depth as say Logan, Spider-Man 2 or TDK

Fanboy7mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 socajunkie  Moderator

No.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say no.

Endgame might be the most overrated movie in history though.

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazahs117 said:
@indomitableregal said:

@kevd4wg said:

No not really. A lot of people can agree on the fact most of the mcu movies are average And not that good. Sure they built up something Cool but how many average movies do we need to get before we have another winter Soldier or infinity war? Mcu is just quantity over quality honestly

Yeah, no. Most people would disagree with you. 20+ movies over 11 years, all financially successful, and well received by critics and audiences. You can't consider that overrated. I won't even bring up any of the TV series. And you make it sound like the MCU has only produced 2 great movies.

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dmnb2wavy

@indomitableregal: you make it sound like the mcu does not produce more average movies than great ones. And just bc something is successful does not mean it’s good. Iron man 3 made a lot of money.

Yes I can the mcu is overrated it has some great movies never doubted that but again it has a lot of average movies

The tv series are somewhat connected but loosely

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmnb2wavy: Not gonna get into a back and forth with you. If you feel it's overrated, so be it.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By warlock360

Depends on how they handle the cosmic stuffs that is upcoming, at least for me.

Some stuff is still left open and has yet to appear.

Same goes for the inclusion of the FF and doctor doom, Namor etc

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OrangeVegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Especially when compared to how other franchises (Star Wars, Terminator, etc) are handling things. The MCU managed to somehow out do Star Wars of all things in terms of execution and where it sits in it's reputation with the fandom. Is every film perfect? No, but there is no perfect franchise. The amount of good MCU movies outweighs the bad by a vast amount. It may not be like this in the future, but for what it is now, it deserves it's praises.

The MCU somehow managed to pull off the colossal task of making a large somewhat functioning universe out of several films. It also managed to take several characters who were unknown outside of the comic book community (Thanos, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, Doctor Strange) and made them widely recognizable. It also was responsible for several other companies trying to crap out cinematic universe to no avail. The MCU is pretty impressive.

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ABsolutely it is. You have a small handful of good films mixed in with a bunch of mediocre and bad ones. The way some people talk about the mcu you would think it was the greatest achievement in western civilization.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eri_joni said:

What's with these underrated and overrated threads?

And no it isn't.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Especially when compared to how other franchises (Star Wars, Terminator, etc) are handling things. The MCU managed to somehow out do Star Wars of all things in terms of execution and where it sits in it's reputation with the fandom. Is every film perfect? No, but there is no perfect franchise. The amount of good MCU movies outweighs the bad by a vast amount. It may not be like this in the future, but for what it is now, it deserves it's praises.

The MCU somehow managed to pull off the colossal task of making a large somewhat functioning universe out of several films. It also managed to take several characters who were unknown outside of the comic book community (Thanos, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, Doctor Strange) and made them widely recognizable. It also was responsible for several other companies trying to crap out cinematic universe to no avail. The MCU is pretty impressive.

this

KnockoutPunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely. 😄

Next question

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 takenstew22  Moderator

Nah. It did what it did and succeeded where others have failed.

Alucard-DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It did it's job which was to make money and introduce more B-list and C-list characters into the mainstream. I'd say it did okay.