• 77 results
#1 Posted by Thought_Robot (896 posts) - - Show Bio

Is The Dark Knight 2008 best comics movie ever for you?

If it isn't, which movie best?

#2 Edited by Gpower (532 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Screeplay and movie quality, but not the most enjoyable.

#3 Posted by Amonfire1776 (3142 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#4 Posted by InvadedTBD (1595 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell no.

I'd probably go Man of Steel.

#5 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12741 posts) - - Show Bio

...arguably

#6 Posted by mrmonster (15602 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. I'd argue that it's not only the best CBM of all time, not only the best movie of the 00's decade, I'd argue it's one of the best movies ever made, period. I'd definitely put it in the top 10.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#7 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (16595 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#8 Posted by TheSuperor (6831 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. I'd argue that it's not only the best CBM of all time, not only the best movie of the 00's decade, I'd argue it's one of the best movies ever made, period. I'd definitely put it in the top 10.

Amen to that.

#9 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (2554 posts) - - Show Bio

No, tbh I like Captain America The Winter Soldier More

#10 Posted by g2_ (11645 posts) - - Show Bio

Not anymore, the title goes to Infinity War.

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
#11 Posted by EternalDarkFury (1778 posts) - - Show Bio

No, tbh I like Captain America The Winter Soldier More

#12 Posted by PrimelyGreat (619 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Quinlan58 (1774 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Raimi's Spiderman 2 more, but TDK is certainly up there.

#14 Posted by InvadedTBD (1595 posts) - - Show Bio

@primelygreat: I'm not really a fan of the Nolanverse films.

To me MOS is definitely better and there are many others that are also better.

But, hey that's just my opinion.

#15 Posted by PrimelyGreat (619 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by InvadedTBD (1595 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (940 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, sorry Infinity War.

#18 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (940 posts) - - Show Bio

You must consider that Infinity War is a culmination of a decade's worth of films, it does not stand well on its own, it needs the background. The Dark Knight is pretty self-contained and is by far the best standalone superhero film there is.

#19 Posted by FaradaySloth (10066 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie so far blows every CBM with the exception of Logan out of the water.

#20 Posted by Warlockmage (9312 posts) - - Show Bio

no i think Logan usurped it... on the backs of Patrick Stewart and Hugh i think they outdid Ledger's joker.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc88dc0cd01c
#21 Posted by deactivated-5cc88dc0cd01c (422 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly think Captain Marvel was better...

#22 Posted by GateOfBabylon (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

This in its entirety.

#23 Posted by Kevd4wg (12798 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Logan was better honestly. I don't understand how people can think it's top 10 movies of all time

#24 Edited by HigherPower (12392 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: @thesuperor: @gateofbabylon: I personally enjoyed TDK, but opinions like this rub me the wrong way. It is most definitely not one of the top 10 movies of all time; you don't even have to have seen any of the potential top 10s to acknowledge their influence on cinema and pop culture.

TDK is an overblown above-average crime thriller whose claim to fame is the performance of one good actor. Within the superhero genre it is among the best, within the crime thriller genre it is not even in the conversation. This is because CBM's are chock full of mediocrity.

Logan and Infinity War surpass TDK in technical aspects of film (cinematography, editing, set and costume design) as well as the more artistic aspects (writing, acting, mood).

#25 Posted by BruceRogers (17450 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah.

#26 Posted by mrmonster (15602 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower: I couldn't possible disagree with you more.

The Dark Knight is well beyond "above-average." It is easily on the level other leading crime thrillers like Pulp Fiction or The Departed. One could even make a case for it being on the same level (or at least close to) The Godfather. The acting, writing, and directing are all top.

As for Logan, I will concede that it's better in some ways. I wouldn't say the movie is better, I'll just give you that it does exceed The Dark Knight in some ways, like it's themes and it's character development.

But Infinity War? No way. Literally the only things it does better are 1) the fight scenes and 2) the technical stuff like visual effects and costume design, but neither of those are really things that make a movie great. It does not even come close to The Dark Knight in terms of script or acting or character development. Avengers: Infinity War is perfect for what it is (a very fun, very enjoyable to watch CGI-fest) but that's about it. This is not to say that I didn't like the movie, I had a blast watching it, but that's it, it was fun. The Dark Knight is an all around great movie for more reasons than just the CGI, the fight scenes, and fun.

#27 Posted by GateOfBabylon (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower: Everyone judges films differently, I guess. For example, a lot of people (yourself included) like to consider cultural influence and impact on the film industry, and some focus on technical aspects, etc.

I personally find TDK to be unparalleled if you're looking at the balance of writing, plot, twists, acting, symbolism, emotions, hidden meanings, story morals, details that you discover on every rewatch, score, sound editing, and more. Also, I would like to add that the movie is definitely not carried by Heath's acting alone. Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart had phenomenal performances too.

Also, on a curious note, you claim to TDK is an "above-average crime thriller". Which crime thrillers do you think are considered the best that beats TDK in all the aspects I mentioned above?

#28 Posted by Quinlan58 (1774 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: The Dark Knight certainly doesn't even come close to The Godfather as far as the visual department goes. That's a massively important part of cinema.

I personally think it's a very good "crime thriller". Not an all-timer or even close, but excellent regardless.

But yeah, Infinity War doesn't even belong in the same discussion.

#29 Posted by Vertigo- (17820 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah

#30 Posted by dngn4774 (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to judge this on any specific criteria. I think Avengers and Infinity War are more significant to the culture of CBMs now, but the Dark Knight is still the most memorable one for me.

#31 Posted by jashro44 (53118 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a lot different than other super hero films. Its more serious and grounded than most. Personally I think spiderverse is better despite it being less realistic and serious. I admit its been a while since I've seen the dark knight.

But yeah, Infinity War doesn't even belong in the same discussion.

That's pretty subjective. Both movies were trying to be very different things and aren't really comparable. I would probably say the dark knight is better though.

#32 Edited by TheWatcherKing (18470 posts) - - Show Bio

No it isn’t, it’s greatly overrated. Movies like Catwoman are far better IMHO.

#33 Posted by Straight-Fire (27327 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Nope.

There's quite a lot of CBMs I prefer over TDK, honestly.

#34 Posted by Darthjhawk (5588 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. Thor: The Dark World was better.

#35 Posted by Emperorb777 (11289 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Man of Steel as far as CBM are concerned but the Dark Knight is the better overall film.

#36 Posted by GateOfBabylon (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

No it isn’t, it’s greatly overrated. Movies like Catwoman are far better IMHO.

Nah. I think Ghost Rider 2 and Fant4stic are much better.

#37 Posted by KingLouie (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes then Watchmen for the best DC CBM’s.

#38 Edited by RBT (28552 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. The only other movie that comes even remotely close is The Dark Knight Rises, but even that lags behind a lot.

#39 Edited by Amendment50 (15463 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Definitely stands with the best of serious dramatic comic book movies though. I would probably argue Logan is the best example of a superior CBM that attempts a similar tone. In hindsight I find Bale's performance to be pretty awkward and honestly a bit hard to take seriously. He is the worst thing about those movies but unfortunately also the most prominent.

Ledger's Joker is still legendary though. I consider it by far the best and most interesting Joker story (and characterization) out there and that includes from the comics. But then admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of the Joker compared to most people, as far as Batman villains go.

#40 Edited by Amendment50 (15463 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

Personally I think spiderverse is better despite it being less realistic and serious.

Honestly I am starting to think Spider-Verse might be my favorite comic book movie of all time. And as a "comic book" movie I think it does such a good job of capturing what is so great about comic books in the first place; visually it does that in a way that a non-animated movie just never could.

#41 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27835 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#42 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17664 posts) - - Show Bio

It's in my top 3:

1. Avengers: Infinity War.
  2. The Avengers.
  3. The Dark Knight.
#43 Edited by Richubs (4861 posts) - - Show Bio

@invadedtbd:

MoS is bad compared TDK imo.

I still have no idea what people like that movie.

Great action scenes yeah but the character was boring and Lois Lane was irritating.

OT : It's the best movie amongst them all but as a Superhero movie Infinity War is better.

But like I said as an overall movie TDK wins against almost every other CBM. I like TDKR more tbh.

#44 Posted by adamTRMM (9241 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen, Sin City and Logan are better.

Avatar image for iamadiscodancer
#45 Posted by IAMADISCODANCER (9 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by Pipxeroth (9305 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely not. Even in terms of """""objective""""" quality, I genuinely can't think of a single thing other than score and some of the more technical aspects like cinematography that it did better than a movie like First Class for example. In terms of entertainment value in comparison to other CBMs it's certainly even lower on the list.

#47 Posted by SHEMMY (243 posts) - - Show Bio

ye

#48 Posted by JamesWayne (981 posts) - - Show Bio

That or Logan or verse.Most cbms focus on pure entertainment spectacle, these tried to be something more

#49 Posted by Magian (151758 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure it was good but I was never really that amazed by it.

#50 Posted by Gaoron (8965 posts) - - Show Bio

For me yeah, no other CBM was as good as TDK. Logan and Ragnarok came close tho.