Is the 90s Flash show any good/worth watching?

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

I'm trying to do a list of all the comic book TV Shows ranked, and in the spirit of that I opted to watch the 90s Flash show (which I haven't seen yet). Before I spend several hours of my life on it though, I sort of want to ask in advance: is it any good? And if "yes", is it good in a "Adam West Batman/Lynda Carter Wonder Woman" sort of way (campy but earnest self-parody), or a "Tim Burton Batman" sort of way (takes itself seriously but is a little dated by today's standards)?

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

It's decent, but don't expect anything ground-breaking. It's 90's schlock, nothing more.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's decent, but don't expect anything ground-breaking. It's 90's schlock, nothing more.

There seems to be some self-contradiction here; shlock literally means "trash". I don't generally consider trash to be "decent".

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@shroudofsorrow: Schlock in referring to the standard garbage tropes that most 90's shows had. The quality of the actual show itself is fine, but the gimmicks run deep. The acting is terrible btw

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It’s pretty standard. It doesn’t do anything intriguing or awesome like the new Flash show. But it isn’t cringy or a pain to watch. Being a comic book fan will probably help.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: Well, I AM A comic fan, so I guess I qualify for that.

And yeah, I don't expect it to hold a candle to the 2010s Flash show, but then I never did. So long as it's watchable, I can settle for that.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Amanda Pays co-starred and she is a classic "geek babe", so I think it's worth it for her. Also, I think it's important to know your comic book TV history. That means check out a few episodes of Wonder Woman 77, Bill Bixby in the Incredible Hulk, the 1996 Generation X TV movie/pilot, etc...

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Penguin-Dust: Darn! I forgot about Incredible Hulk when I did my list. Knew I was forgetting someone...

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, so I saw the pilot and the first two episodes after it, and I actually kind of liked them. The special effects are terrible, but I sort of expected that. But it DOES take itself seriously for the most part, which is appreciated. It's just that its low budget and it shows. I do think that JWS is a great Barry Allen and I like his dynamic with both Tina McGee and his lab partner (who almost feel like spiritual predecessors to Caitlin and Cisco in the new show).

In all, I thought the pilot (which plays like a Flash movie), was the best so far. The second and third episodes were OK, especially the second. I'm not sure if I want to watch the whole show, but I think I will try and see a few more to see how much I can take before the flaws start to outweigh the good for me.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolfrazer

From what I've seen of the show and read, seems to me the series was trying to find its footing in S1 but then got axed. It probably would have been better had it got another season. From what I recall though, 90s Flash does seem to use a lot of the abilities apart from just speed, such as Phasing, Tornados and so on.

Though thanks to CW, he's also fast enough to breach to another Earth so that's pretty good too.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: Possibly, yeah. Though to be fair, the special effects limitations I think would have always been a problem, including its making it hard to have a lot of full-fledged supervillains. This is why the show so often resorted to very down-to-Earth villains who felt more appropriate for Batman or Green Arrow then Flash. They just didn't have the budget or the SFX technology to use characters like Reverse Flash or Grodd.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

The old TV show had better Barry Allen than DCEU or CW.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The shows biggest downfall was the lack of actual super villains. Most of th foes he faced were mundane. They started to fix that is season 2 but the network dropped it b4 they got thru enough

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched it a few years ago; it's a very short series, so you won't even have to invest much time into it. Unfortunately, it has several plot threads that ultimately don't go anywhere since it didn't get a follow-up season. One thing I liked about the show is how creative Barry was in fights. For instance, there's an episode where he uses a bow and arrow, which I found amusing. To me, it has those elements of the 60's Batman, but it also tries to be serious and brooding at times like the Batman films of that era. In fact, the theme song was done by Danny Elfman, so the Burton Batman connection is definitely there.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaied said:

I watched it a few years ago; it's a very short series, so you won't even have to invest much time into it. Unfortunately, it has several plot threads that ultimately don't go anywhere since it didn't get a follow-up season. One thing I liked about the show is how creative Barry was in fights. For instance, there's an episode where he uses a bow and arrow, which I found amusing. To me, it has those elements of the 60's Batman, but it also tries to be serious and brooding at times like the Batman films of that era. In fact, the theme song was done by Danny Elfman, so the Burton Batman connection is definitely there.

Having already seen the show, I pretty much agree with what you've said here. And yeah, I really wish they had done stuff like let Barry and Tina actually become a thing instead of an endless "Will they or won't they?" Perhaps had the show lasted longer that may have eventually happened.

The old TV show had better Barry Allen than DCEU or CW.

Eh, I disagree. I think that Grant Gustin and Ezra Miller are excellent Barry Allens. I don't think any of the three actors have done a poor job with the character, they just do it in different ways.