Is Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones (2002) MASSIVELY UNDERRATED?

• 69 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5efbf0407e15a
deactivated-5efbf0407e15a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones (2002) MASSIVELY UNDERRATED? (57 votes)

YES 35%
NO 65%

What do you think?

I personally think it is and it is certainly better than Revenge Of The Sith and all the Disney movies combined.

• 
incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it’s terrible imo phantom menace is better

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No. I don’t hate it like I hate sand, but it is still the worst SW movie imo.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eslay03 said:

Oh damn lol. This

Mrsportsguy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not as bad as people say, but it's still not a great movie.

VGHJ200856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-627d8daf1de25
deactivated-627d8daf1de25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No, the first two episodes of SW are abominations.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eslay03 said:

sequels would like to have a word with you

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subline said:

first was quite good actually

Avatar image for windshieldwiper
Windshieldwiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder said:

@subline said:

first was quite good actually

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: I disagree:

• Dialogue was atrocious at times
  • Humor was decent at times
  • Plot was boring and too slow (too much time spent on podracing / boring SW politics)

Though the Maul fight scene was amazing, can't deny that.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subline said:

@darkthunder: I disagree:

• Dialogue was atrocious at times
  • Humor was decent at times
  • Plot was boring and too slow (too much time spent on podracing / boring SW politics)

Though the Maul fight scene was amazing, can't deny that.

I disagree

great fights

great music

I can't disagree with podrace point. It was boring

great performances

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: Tbf, the first Qui Gon vs Maul fight is too brief to be really considered game changing, I agree the final fight was fantastic (a 10/10 imo), but I always feel like I'm waiting 2 hours just for that scene, which isn't a good thing.

Good music is pretty much standard for all SW films, John Williams never really disappoints. As for performances, I don't think they can carry the film, there's not a great deal of chemistry between characters either that there is between Obi-Wan / Anakin for example.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subline: well they both didn't know each other then. I would agree its not as good as it could've been but calling it an abomination is exaggerating

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eslay03

@darkthunder: I disagree with any of the sequels being the worst.

The Force Awakens (though it follows the same template as A New Hope) is a very adequate film.

The Last Jedi has several really good moments in it. I think it is probably the worst of the sequels, but don’t think it is the worst SW film. I understand why people dislike what they did with Luke, and while I don’t prefer it or certainly wouldn’t have chosen to do it myself, I don’t think it it alone is enough to to give the movie hate. He goes through a full character arc. He’s a flawed person, just like us. He makes mistakes, just like us. I think his actions are understandable, and actually convincing. Again, it’s not what I would have done with the character, but I absolutely don’t think it ruined the character. I do think everything with Finn, Rose, and Poe is pointless, underwhelming, and almost trash. With all that said, the parts of this movie where it excels and tops AoTC is the scenes with Rey and Kylo. Their whole development and story arc is done very well throughout the course of the film. Overall it is a top to bottom better film than AoTC imo. It has it’s rough times, but it also has some really great moments.

The Rise of Skywalker has it’s issues, but again has a lot of good things about it. There’s several scenes that are fantastic imo. Ben’s redemptive conversation with Han, Luke’s conversation with Rey and lifting his X-wing (shows his full character development from TLJ), all the Jedi voices, and finally, “Rey Skywalker” (yes I do like that scene). Yes, there’s some plot conveniences and lazy writing, but I absolutely don’t think those things are enough to discredit a film that, for the most part, does it’s best to wrap up the trilogy.

As a whole, the sequel trilogy doesn’t really fit together, but I don’t think the films individually are bad.

AoTC is the worst SW film imo, not so much because of it’s bad acting, dialogue, story, etc, but because of it’s lack of good moments and scenes. Typically, I can get past the bad film aspects of a movie if it counters those bad aspects with good scenes or character arcs. For example, Spider-Man 3 is filled with lazy writing, bad dialogue, and cringy scenes, but it also has some really good moments and character arcs. For those reasons, I am somewhat able to forgive the movies flaws. The problem with AoTC is that there’s almost no good moments whether it be good story moments or good character moments. It has a lot of cons with it, and very few pros.

For those reasons, I think AoTC is the worst SW film rather than it being one of the sequels.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darkthunder

@eslay03 said:

@darkthunder: I disagree with any of the sequels being the worst.

The Force Awakens (though it follows the same template as A New Hope) is a very adequate film.

The Last Jedi has several really good moments in it. I think it is probably the worst of the sequels, but don’t think it is the worst SW film. I understand why people dislike what they did with Luke, and while I don’t prefer it or certainly wouldn’t have chosen to do it myself, I don’t think it it alone is enough to to give the movie hate. He goes through a full character arc. He’s a flawed person, just like us. He makes mistakes, just like us. I think his actions are understandable, and actually convincing. Again, it’s not what I would have done with the character, but I absolutely don’t think it ruined the character. I do think everything with Finn, Rose, and Poe is pointless, underwhelming, and almost trash. With all that said, the parts of this movie where it excels and tops AoTC is the scenes with Rey and Kylo. Their whole development and story arc is done very well throughout the course of the film. Overall it is a top to bottom better film than AoTC imo. It has it’s rough times, but it also has some really great moments.

The Rise of Skywalker has it’s issues, but again has a lot of good things about it. There’s several scenes that are fantastic imo. Ben’s redemptive conversation with Han, Luke’s conversation with Rey and lifting his X-wing (shows his full character development from TLJ), all the Jedi voices, and finally, “Rey Skywalker” (yes I do like that scene). Yes, there’s some plot conveniences and lazy writing, but I absolutely don’t think those things are enough to discredit a film that, for the most part, does it’s best to wrap up the trilogy.

As a whole, the sequel trilogy doesn’t really fit together, but I don’t think the films individually are bad.

AoTC is the worst SW film imo, not so much because of it’s bad acting, dialogue, story, etc, but because of it’s lack of good moments and scenes

yoda vs dooku.

Typically, I can get past the bad film aspects of a movie if it counters those bad aspects with good scenes or character arcs. For example, Spider-Man 3 is filled with lazy writing, bad dialogue, and cringy scenes, but it also has some really good moments and character arcs. For those reasons, I am somewhat able to forgive the movies flaws. The problem with AoTC is that there’s almost no good moments whether it be good story moments or good character moments. It has a lot of cons with it, and very few pros.

For those reasons, I think AoTC is the worst SW film rather than it being one of the sequels.

AOTC is up there with TROS. the sequels were filled with trash. I can ignore rey getting to know the force without any training, but palpatine coming back,the rey/kylo relationship, palps getting beaten by 2 bloody lightabers and rey using force lightning, is way worse than AOTC. The characters were bland, boring and finn is completely useless screaming "rey!" every 5 minutes. the whole thing is dependant of nostalgia which I hate. TLJ was bad but not this bad. They completely butchered TLJ and made something completely different

Avatar image for deactivated-63055b33107d2
deactivated-63055b33107d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

It's the worst one out of the 6 movies

It isn't bad though

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: Dooku vs Yoda is less than a minute of goodness.

Palpatine coming back wasn’t done great, but I don’t really have a problem with it if it was done right. Rey and Kylo’s relationship was a minimal plot point. The kiss at the end was cringy, but is so much better than Anakin and Padme’s in AoTC. The way Palpatine lost and died, I agree was underwhelming. I don’t think the characters were bad. I mean, they’re not Ewan’s Kenobi, but I think Ben and Rey are both interesting characters.

I guess it’s just a difference of what we each can tolerate in a film. I feel like TRoS has more tolerable issues, while you feel the same about AoTC.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eslay03 said:

@darkthunder: Dooku vs Yoda is less than a minute of goodness.

Palpatine coming back wasn’t done great, but I don’t really have a problem with it if it was done right. Rey and Kylo’s relationship was a minimal plot point. The kiss at the end was cringy, but is so much better than Anakin and Padme’s in AoTC.

nope. anakin's not a mary sue

The way Palpatine lost and died, I agree was underwhelming. I don’t think the characters were bad. I mean, they’re not Ewan’s Kenobi, but I think Ben and Rey are both interesting characters.

so some nobody who happens to use force without any training and thinks its a superpower used for telekinesis and happen to be related to the worst villain of all time is interesting to you?

I guess it’s just a difference of what we each can tolerate in a film. I feel like TRoS has more tolerable issues, while you feel the same about AoTC.

you're right about this. I feel AOTC, while cringe has good performances, doesn't rely on nostalgia and is not killing of the main villain in such an underwhelming way.

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bayman007

It's better than people make out. Dooku was fantastic, and seeing Yoda school him was even better.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder:

He is, it’s just more forgivable because he’s the chosen one. Also, Rey being of Palpatine’s bloodline makes her natural force abilities somewhat believable.

so some nobody who happens to use force without any training and thinks its a superpower used for telekinesis and happen to be related to the worst villain of all time is interesting to you?

I forgot to add one word to my statement that I think Rey is a interesting character. I think she is a interesting character emotionally. She is a character that is insecure and lost due to not having parents. She is driven to try to fulfill that void that was never filled by her parents. After finding out that Palpatine is her grandfather she has to overcome her evil heritage and move on from seeking her biological family. It shows that no matter what one’s bloodline is, one can choose to change the cycle and be better than their heritage.
Her being a Mary Sue is not related to how interesting the character is on an emotional level.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: Also, did you say that Palpatine is the “worst villain of all time”? Or did I read that wrong?

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eslay03 said:

@darkthunder: Also, did you say that Palpatine is the “worst villain of all time”? Or did I read that wrong?

I did but that's not what you think it means. He's an amazing villain for us, but for the characters he' bad. I meant worst as in most evil

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO, IT ISN'T. There isn't anything MASSIVELY UNDERRATED about anything Star Wars.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eslay03 said:

@darkthunder:

He is, it’s just more forgivable because he’s the chosen one. Also, Rey being of Palpatine’s bloodline makes her natural force abilities somewhat believable.

no he's not. He's a great character who actually loses and doesn't have every power that exists because he's "the chosen one". I think the guys who made the movies knew what "natural" is. because I am a natural at soccer, but that doesn't mean I know how to play it whie having a vague idea of what it i

I forgot to add one word to my statement that I think Rey is a interesting character. I think she is a interesting character emotionally. She is a character that is insecure and lost due to not having parents. She is driven to try to fulfill that void that was never filled by her parents. After finding out that Palpatine is her grandfather she has to overcome her evil heritage and move on from seeking her biological family. It shows that no matter what one’s bloodline is, one can choose to change the cycle and be better than their heritage.

that's exactly luke skywalker. she's just a copy of him except she can't show emotion without it being cringe

Her being a Mary Sue is not related to how interesting the character is on an emotional level.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eslay03 said:

I did but that's not what you think it means. He's an amazing villain for us, but for the characters he' bad. I meant worst as in most evil

Oh, I understand. I guess we’ll both agree to disagree on which SW film is the worst. Again, it’s just a difference of what we can tolerate in a film.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By eslay03

no he's not. He's a great character who actually loses and doesn't have every power that exists because he's "the chosen one". I think the guys who made the movies knew what "natural" is. because I am a natural at soccer, but that doesn't mean I know how to play it whie having a vague idea of what it i

Anakin literally wins the pod race at the age of 9, something that humans shouldn’t be able to do. He destroys the trade federation by flying in a ship he’s never flown before, also at the age of 9. He literally builds C-3PO, at the age of 9. He‘s the galaxy’s best pilate. He’s a fantastic mechanic. He contends with Dooku (a character who is near Yoda in terms of power) at the age of 19. Yes Anakin lost to Dooku and had to work to become better than him, but Rey has also lost to several people. She was literally ragdolled by both Snoke and Palpatine. She also lost to Kylo in their duel in IX. I’m not saying Rey isn’t a Mary Sue. Her using a Jedi mind trick on a stormtrooper in TFA basically makes her a Mary Sue (although she most likely had heard of said mind trick through stories of the Jedi as she says she thought the Jedi were just myths. That doesn't mean she should be able to preform the mind trick).

Yes Rey absolutely does have Mary Sue moments, but so does Anakin. It‘s just more excusable because he’s the chosen one.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's better than The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker, but certainly not as good as the other 2 prequels.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3f3e796cbd9
deactivated-5f3f3e796cbd9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, it's a bad movie

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By infantfinite128

No. It was better than the Phantom Menace though.

Attack of the Clones has a 6.5 on IMDb (which is a decent reflection of a lot of people's opinion on movies), so it's not underrated like Batman & Robin (I'm not saying it's great, but Batman & Robin is not one of the worst movies of all time).

Ccbm2208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.......

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda? It's still a bad movie but I enjoyed it slightly more than TPM, ignoring the cringy romance parts, Obi's investigation plot was really good, so was the arena fight and seeing Yoda throwing hands for the first time.

I'd say it's the best of the "bad Star Wars movies" - TPM, Clones, TLJ, Rise.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No.

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, it's underrated. it was an enjoyable movie, I think Star Wars movies tend to either be underrated or overrated.

God-Thanatos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No , it's a bad movie and one of the worst ST movies

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Cut all the scenes except for the Battle of Geonosis and you would have one of the best movies from the franchise.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it’s an awful movie. The only good prequel is Revenge of the Sith, and even that movie has massive problems.

XSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it was a meh movie like Phantom Menace, but still better than any of Disney SW's movies.

God-Thanatos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God-Thanatos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xsolidsnake: Star Wars Episode II : Attack of the Clones is NOT better than the episodes 7 and 8 . Maybe episode 9 but that is not saying much.

XSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xsolidsnake: Star Wars Episode II : Attack of the Clones is NOT better than the episodes 7 and 8 . Maybe episode 9 but that is not saying much.

I can accept AOTC not being better than The Force Awakens, but not being better than The Last Jedi? Lol.

God-Thanatos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Void_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it isn't underrated whatsoever. It started off the clone wars concept that lead to enormous and fantastic worldbuilding, development and content but it is still a bad movie. Not nearly the worst of the worst abysmal SW movies but pretty bad.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It is underrated, its ability to make me go asleep is amazing. Better than any sleeping pills I have taken in the past. Truly a masterpiece of sleep therapy experience.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eslay03 said:

Anakin literally wins the pod race at the age of 9,

he's force sensitive so makes sense

something that humans shouldn’t be able to do. He destroys the trade federation by flying in a ship he’s never flown before, also at the age of 9. He literally builds C-3PO, at the age of 9.

building something or doing what you're good at doesn't make you a mary sue.

force lightning is something that many sith work hard to master. even anakin in full sith mode couldn't use it. but rey somehow destroys a freakin' spaceship because she got frustrated over a force pull battle with kylo. That's a mary sue

He‘s the galaxy’s best pilate. He’s a fantastic mechanic. He contends with Dooku (a character who is near Yoda in terms of power) at the age of 19.

by contend you mean lose his hand and get stomped

Yes Anakin lost to Dooku and had to work to become better than him, but Rey has also lost to several people. She was literally ragdolled by both Snoke and Palpatine.

and then she suddenly uses to two lightsabers to deflect lightning powerful enough to knock hundreds of ships and destroy palpatine. which made him no threat at all. sidious was an actual threat in all movies except TROS. anakin had to die to beat him while rey does it casually. And Anakin has the greatest midi chlorian count in the galaxy so he should be way more powerful yet rey does what he can't casually.

She also lost to Kylo in their duel in IX. I’m not saying Rey isn’t a Mary Sue. Her using a Jedi mind trick on a stormtrooper in TFA basically makes her a Mary Sue (although she most likely had heard of said mind trick through stories of the Jedi as she says she thought the Jedi were just myths. That doesn't mean she should be able to preform the mind trick).

Yes Rey absolutely does have Mary Sue moments, but so does Anakin. It‘s just more excusable because he’s the chosen one.

no anakin's not a mary sue. why do you think obi wan or dooku coud beat him. Why do yu think luke could? Ben solo was a skywalker who was trained by grandmaster luke and he still got beat by rey who had no training. Anakin's had almost a decade of training in addition to him being a powerful uer of the force while rey's a nobody from nowhere who just happens to be related to palpatine and do stuff that requires years of training

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it’s pretty easily the worst Star Wars film