Edited 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Is Star Wars comics running out of ideas in Marvel? (19 votes)

Yeah, this Original trilogy wank is getting boring. 74%
I love reading the Han Solo stuff, and learning more about Rebels. 26%

I remember the days when we get comics of Old Republic, thousands of years worth of stories through the eyes of dozens of famous characters in lore. I remember the vast and fun stories of Clone Wars where various Jedi ran around kicking ass. They even had comics in the far future like Legacy.

Yet now Disney reset the canon, and flat out ignores the Legends material of future events, and ignores the prequels stuff because man babies who like their OT movies, as well ignore the Bioware OR games, all we get now and days is Vader wrecking what few fodder Jedi are left, and wrecking rebels.

Its so bad and boring in OT timeline, that Marvel is force to use characters like this General Grievous knock off lmao.

No Caption Provided

Am I the only one tired of the Original Trilogy pandering? All we have is Old Maul, Obi Wan doing next to nothing, Yoda doing next to nothing, Vader wrecking no bodies, and the terrible Rebels crew from the show. Ewwww.

Let me know your thoughts.

#1 Edited by Wolfrazer (15922 posts) - - Show Bio

The ongoing SW comic series has been...meh, yes, some interesting issues but not many. The Vader series has been ok, but the competition isn’t there. I much enjoyed the old Legends comics by Darkhorse a lot better in the GCW era if comparing.

#2 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (37749 posts) - - Show Bio

The ongoing SW comic series has been...meh, yes, some interesting issues but not many. The Vader series has been ok, but the competition isn’t there. I much enjoyed the old Legends comics by Darkhorse a lot better in the GCW era if comparing.

Agree.

#3 Edited by Dernman (25789 posts) - - Show Bio

The original era >>>> all the others.

Not to say I don't like the others just that original is better.

Anyway if we're talking current Star Wars original era comics then gah forget that. It doesn't seem like star Wars to me. It's too Disney for me. Especially the art.

--------------

Maul should have stayed dead instead of waking him by keep bringing him back. Talk about something that needs to move on.

Funny usually it;s those who want to be pandered with prequel material that complain most about the original material pandering.

#4 Posted by Kevd4wg (11781 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be so much better if they explored and if they built a jedi through the prequals and then had Vader fight them it would mean something

#5 Posted by TheDeathstroke (2925 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it personally

#6 Posted by TheVivas (18985 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is they’re only focused on one era after the he split of Canon and Legends. They’re doing stories from the Original Trilhy era because that’s where they want their focus. Episode 7 and 8 are set 30 years after Episode 6 and since they want people focused on that time line and those characters and the galaxy at this time, they’re making comics that are about all of that.

Disney isn’t going to make a comic about the Old Republic if they’re trying to advertise a movie who’s plot has nothing to do with that whatsoever and will only confuses one casual fans who are interested in the movies’ characters.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#7 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (14321 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel as a whole are running out of ideas.

#8 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (37749 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedeathstroke: @dernman:

Im curious. What s it about Star Wars you like then? The OT era had very little Jedi and Sith. The only two things that make SW unique as a sci fi in philosophies and abilities.

So far all we get are guys trying to be call backs to the prequels, and stories of Han Solo, or Leia, or the Rebels which is no different or interesting than Firefly, Star Gate, or Battlestar.

I not getting why OT is better. Its empty and dead to other eras like Old Republic, Legacy, or even the dreaded Prequels.

#9 Edited by Wolfrazer (15922 posts) - - Show Bio

@sirfizzwhizz: The GCW era still had a lot of interesting stories though...in Legends anyway, don't be exaggerating, sure the Jedi and Sith aspect are unique but that's not what all of SW is.

I think what kills it for Disney currently is the way some of the stuff is being written, no one really wanted a Leia(5 issues) or Lando(5 issues) or Dr. Aphra series. The former two being done and Aphra is just Indiana Jones in space...and it's not that great of a read tbh. Han only had 5 issues and that was pretty interesting, but 5 issues doesn't really cut it.

Writing 5 issue short bits of certain characters just doesn't really expand anything, the only other one aside from Aphra who has more than 5 issues is Kanan but even that series from what I've read is...alright but nothing too great. Disney doesn't have its Rebellion, Empire, Dark Times or Purge series, which has some of the best comics during the GCW timeframe in Legends.

#10 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (37749 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: Purge is the best time line but not really OT time frame as most Jedi are Purge by the time of Luke and Vader facing. That dozen years in between we got Star Killer and other great stories.

#11 Edited by Wolfrazer (15922 posts) - - Show Bio

@sirfizzwhizz: Eh I suppose, it's still closer to that era though. But yeah, I don't feel like there's anything nailed down. In fact probably due to the new movies, newer comics to different eras can't even be done because they wanna see how the new trilogy goes about and perhaps do something with that later on. So they aren't really expanding the comic side much aside from a few short series and one long ongoing main series.

That and I think the transition from Darkhorse to Marvel is also a factor.

#12 Posted by Saberscar223 (4346 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by Dernman (25789 posts) - - Show Bio

@sirfizzwhizz said:

@thedeathstroke: @dernman:

Im curious. What s it about Star Wars you like then? The OT era had very little Jedi and Sith. The only two things that make SW unique as a sci fi in philosophies and abilities.

I like alot of different aspects. I wouldn't say it's just one thing or era. They all have their own value. Furthermore it's not just unigueness that's good. There can be many different stories that generically are all the same but one of them just hits it. Truth be told shows having philosophies and abilities are not wholly unique to Star Wars. It's just this one resonated with people.

So far all we get are guys trying to be call backs to the prequels, and stories of Han Solo, or Leia, or the Rebels which is no different or interesting than Firefly, Star Gate, or Battlestar.

I don't know what your point is here. Edit: Wait I think I see it now. I refer you to my last point. Star trek is a huge universe even if stuck in just one era. Why just tell one type of story? Why limit the universe like that? The best universes are the ones that can be fleshed out multi dimensional. Especially ones that are basically space operas like Star Wars.

I not getting why OT is better.

It's call subjective taste. I can create a long list for you of why I see it as being better but would you care?

Its empty and dead to other eras like Old Republic, Legacy, or even the dreaded Prequels.

So? It can be it's own thing not to mention build a base for the the future instead of always being buried in the past. One one my biggest grips in modern Star Trek is they always harp on the past and wont move forward. Furthermore there is so much still left to explore in the OT than just the small corner we've seen especially now that it's been erased. Al we've seen is a small portion.

#14 Posted by Xwraith (36466 posts) - - Show Bio

The Lucasfilm Story Group is currently only allowing stories to be set in certain eras.

#15 Posted by force_echo (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

Star Wars EU has always been about telling basically the same story over and over again with a few variations. There's not really too much you can do within the star wars framework. Kotor II was probably the extent of originality.

#16 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (37749 posts) - - Show Bio

Star Wars EU has always been about telling basically the same story over and over again with a few variations. There's not really too much you can do within the star wars framework. Kotor II was probably the extent of originality.

Man that was good shit too. I like the second game more than the first.

@xwraith said:

The Lucasfilm Story Group is currently only allowing stories to be set in certain eras.

That kinda sucks.

#17 Posted by StormShadow_X (15943 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping after the newest trilogy is done we get an explosion of new stuff

#18 Edited by Xwraith (36466 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

That kinda sucks.

The only one I know for sure is currently off limits is after the Battle of Jakku.

#19 Posted by Thesenate (701 posts) - - Show Bio

@sirfizzwhizz: Pre- 1 stuff is most certainly off limits atm too but that kind of goes without saying if you ask me. Same with post IX stuff. If there's a time jump between VII and IX we will certainly get comics from that time period eventually.

#20 Posted by CR500 (126 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the problem is that the comics can't make anything new anymore. They can't make comics set in the Old Republic era because they don't want to confuse casual fans or take the focus away from the Sequel Trilogy, but they can't make comics set in the ST era because they don't want to potentially spoil anything, leaving us with the PT era and the OT era.

#21 Posted by foxerdes (9779 posts) - - Show Bio

What is this..

#22 Posted by Guru_Crack (11558 posts) - - Show Bio

I have an idea make Darth Krayt canon and let's get a lot of One Sith arcs in shall we? Please Comic Gods.

#23 Posted by Farkam (11973 posts) - - Show Bio