Is Rotten Tomatoes biased against DC?

• 108 results
modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Rotten Tomatoes biased against DC? (189 votes)

Yes 37%
No 63%
No Caption Provided

• 
Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about people quit taking these things so personally. Quit your bitching, they're movies. I see the same people doing it all the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course not. DC movies have just been mediocre.

Avatar image for green_ballerina
Green_Ballerina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, the Christopher Nolan films have some of the highest ratings for a movie in CBM history. If the movie is bad then it's score should reflect that.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By MAZAHS117

No, I don't buy into that theory. Sites like RT just provide information. At the end of the day it comes down to person buying the ticket to make up their own damn mind. ...

..it's the ones that can't do that is what troubles me

kroczilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Helicoprion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Helicoprion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

ofc not they just take an aggregate of a bunch of other reviews however reviewers tend to be biased.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By mickey-mouse

Captain DC didn't like this film...DC is in trouble..

Loading Video...

touma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well I think yes deadpool got 83% and acc to me it should be 60 to 70%

x men days of future past got 91 % well yeah I liked that movie but it as not that great it should be 80÷ at most

and surely BVS had deserved more than 27% even the bvs hater will admit

A movie that earned $860m gets 27% (BVS)

A movie that earn $ 740m gets 91% (days of future past)

either people of this world are crazy or rotten tomatoes is crazy

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yes and no. Especially considering RT is a compilation of reviews, and that the site is partially owned by Warner Bros. And Ii doubt a reviewer will deliberately alienate their readers and hand out an unearned negative review for nonsense.

Thor and The First Avenger, for all their shortcomings, got the general audience to care for these characters. Enough to make them like the film. If a film of Thor: The Dark World's quality was released under Warner Bros, it would most certainly be rotten. But at this point, Marvel has earn't the people's trust enough for them to be less critical of some of their less than stellar works. Which is where the "yes" part factors in.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It can't be biased. It just shows total review scores.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Tyger

Did you know that 'It's a Wonderful Life' got bad reviews AND was critically panned?

There are a lot of measures for how 'successful' a movie is.

Relax, enjoy, and be glad the studios are putting time, effort, and money into it.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nope

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Why are people under the impression that all the critics hate DC movies but the general audience love them? That's not even remotely true.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Okay firstly, LOL. And secondly, I was surprised by this too.

Doofasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.............No.

TDK Trilogy, Burton films, and the original Superman franchise (first two) were all very well received. People just need to accept the idea that most reviewers give negative reviews to the films because they genuinely think it sucks. You can disagree and have your own opinion of course but don't pretend it's because of some overarching bias.

Pretty much this.

Sebast_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do some of you honestly believe Disney and Marvel would pay-off critics with the risk of being exposed, losing credibility and lawsuits JUST to tarnish the Superhero genre's name as a whole to the general audience in turn speeding up the fatigue -_-

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if there's a bias involved, but Rotten Tomatoes' precious tomato meter is the least useful piece of information the site provides, and yet is also the big number they put on display as the movie's official rating.

Batman v Superman had an average review score of 4.9/10, which I feel is a pretty fair rating over all, even if I personally rated it a bit higher. The audience score is 65%, which is closer to how I rated it. The tomato meter is a miserably low 27%, which is significantly lower than the general audience or the critics actually felt about the movie on average.

It was an average movie, but the tomato meter sells it as one of the worst movies ever made.

Meanwhile Suicide Squad has a 35% at the time of me posting this, but has an average score of 5.3/10.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By Cream_God

No, butt hurt is just strong. WBs is targeting a specific audience thus mediocre reviews, Marvel targets everyone thus better reviews.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz said:

Rotten Tomatoes combines reviews from multiple sources, it can't be biased lol.

Now, of course, there are some reviewers I imagine are legitimately biased against DC properties. It's probably like a meme to them at this point just to harp on the DCEU.

I'm sure people saying that Rotten Tomatoes is biased doesn't even know how the reviewing on that site works. Lmao

However I agree with the review part.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

It seems that they aren't exactly against DC or Warner Bros. but more of against the different approach WB has towards it's movies. They want to see that Marvel tone in every comic book related movie and when they don't get it they immediately think it is something bad that would not last the test of time.

Bingo. And when they realize the movie doesn't follow the MCU approach, they dig into it and tear it apart.

Exactly.

TheOriginalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TheOriginalOne

So, no one is going to mention how shit and messy suicide squad was and how it blew up in the fans' faces who said it was awesome before even seeing it.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

Captain DC didn't like this film...DC is in trouble..

Loading Video...

'... And was immortalized in a jif...'

Oh.

She's one of those people.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

It's not RT's fault DC can't make good movies. But I am shocked at Suicide Squad's results.

Helicoprion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, butt hurt is just strong. WBs is targeting a specific audience thus mediocre reviews, Marvel targets everyone thus better reviews.

So, no one is going to mention how shit and messy suicide squad was and how it blew up in the fans' faces who said it was awesome before even seeing it.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only a butthurt moron would believe that. Pathetic.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No DC just makes shitty movies and its bs because they're making a disgrace out of heroes I love.

WB needs to shut down to get their shit straight or hire a complete new crew of directors and writers because the path they're going now isn't a good one.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#80  Edited By Thorthunder98

Wow, there's even a petition by butthurt DC fanboys to take down rotten tomatoes because they rated DC films badly...

LOL

https://www.change.org/p/rottentomatoes-com-shutdown-rotten-tomatoes

Also somehow it has 8.5/10 on IMDB I'd guess that's DC fanboys rating it before they've seen it.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:

It seems that they aren't exactly against DC or Warner Bros. but more of against the different approach WB has towards it's movies. They want to see that Marvel tone in every comic book related movie and when they don't get it they immediately think it is something bad that would not last the test of time.

Bingo. And when they realize the movie doesn't follow the MCU approach, they dig into it and tear it apart.

Exactly. That's why I really hate reading a critic's review of a CBM. It's always biased.

As much as BvS may have been sh*t it wasn't as bad as it's ratings by critics and in RottenTomatoes in general.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@wastelandman: Sad thing is people would argue MCU wasn't up and about around the making of those films except TDKR which was "bashed" by critics.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also somehow it has 8.5/10 on IMDB I'd guess that's DC fanboys rating it before they've seen it.

Actually, Suicide Squad was being given random 1-2 star ratings last week so :/.......

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/4vnb5m/suicide_squad_beware_of_fake_reviews_and_haters/

@tdk_1997 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@tdk_1997 said:

Exactly. That's why I really hate reading a critic's review of a CBM. It's always biased.

As much as BvS may have been sh*t it wasn't as bad as it's ratings by critics and in RottenTomatoes in general.

BvS TC should've sat at a 40-50%

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why are people under the impression that all the critics hate DC movies but the general audience love them? That's not even remotely true.

It's really a false narrative because the GA had a total mixed reaction to MOS & Batman v Superman.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@tdk_1997 said:

BvS TC should've sat at a 40-50%

I totally agree with you. It wasn't a great movie but it didn't suck that much. And then we have every single Marvel movie doing great, even the bad ones like Thor.

TheOriginalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh look, a website which is part owned by Warner Brother(30%) is hating on its own movies but you know,lets blame Marvel for causing that. Do people not understand what a review aggregator website is. Why blame the website doing its job or the critics forGIVING THEIR OWN, I SAY OWN OPINION!! And why can't this movie be that bad, why can't DC fanboys just accept the fact that DC/WB can't make a good superhero movie. But you know, BLAME MARVEL FOR EVERYTHING.

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No DC is just terrible at making movies.

And Web owns rotten tomatoes

Mexicutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, anyone who thinks so is clearly an idiot.

JokerBat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No they are not. The sad reality is that DC and Warners are not producing good enough movies. I personally don't think they have a good enough team of writers. The more DC films I see, the more I just want to stick to Marvel.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By modernww2fare
No Caption Provided

Lol

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By BappyRonChantin

DC movies got bad rating rightfully, but some equally bad Marvel movies getting acceptable reviews does cause suspicion . I don't think the reviewers are bribed though, they bias probably comes from the overall success of Marvel at establishing a cinematic universe.

That's not to say some fans specially DC fans don't try too hard to shit on RT just because their movies are rated badly. The bias is stronger on their side.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Rotten Tomatoes technically can't be because it's virtually nothing but a score calculator. And I assume it doesn't go around cherry-picking the reviews it takes into it's calculations.

On the other hand, the critics that feed RT, among other sites, those I do suspect of bias on certain levels. In terms of BvS, I think it's A) by Zack Snyder and it's cool to hate on him B) it's not a superhero movie by the Marvel formula which can excuse a ton of flaws in plot, story and pacing (see 91% GotG).

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Jgames

After watching the movie, I just think is because of the abundant superhero movies, is not that they favor Marvek, is just their recent movies has been innovating, and the previous movie that should get crappy reviews like Iron Man 2, was still in a period where this new superhero movies was fascinating and not all over the place. I think Avenger 2, which was as good as the first movie is when critic start getting used to the movies and are catching on to the tropes, and are getting used to those kind of movies. Which is why is no suprised movies like Ant-Man was released, to create more diversity in their movies and why Winter Soldier and GotG is highly praised, because they try to be different. Civil War might be what expected from Marvel, but it is done so well and does go to different direction that past marvel movies might not have gone to. Also the fact that the world building is paying off wonderfully.

So overall I just think is due to expectation and seeing similar things, that is causing bad rating not that the movie are actually bad, except BvS theatrical cut.

quantum-savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By quantum-savage

It's not so much as Rotten Tomatoes is bias it's the reviewers are bias , that being comparing dceu movies to mcu like all comicbook adaptation movies should be like the mcu movies

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so stupid... Wb owns rotten tomatoes. The dc movies have no direction and aren't good which is evident if you watch the movies... The rotten tomatoes site loves the Nolan trilogy and last time I checked those were dc films...

Remisahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ppl are used to the mcu which came out AFTER dark Knight. If dark Knight came out today itd be rated horribly.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rottentomatoes isn't. But critics are.

And this-

@xwraith said:

No, but I'm certain Comic Vine is biased toward DC.