Is Rotten Tomatoes biased against DC?

• 108 results
modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Rotten Tomatoes biased against DC? (189 votes)

Yes 37%
No 63%
No Caption Provided

• 
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Not sure how that can be possible, WB own Rotten Tomatoes.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rotten Tomatoes combines reviews from multiple sources, it can't be biased lol.

Now, of course, there are some reviewers I imagine are legitimately biased against DC properties. It's probably like a meme to them at this point just to harp on the DCEU.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By stormshadow_x

Eh. I don't know why they would, I also doubt Disney is dirty enough to pay them off as some people say(Seriously They wouldn't care). There are quite a few biased to DC in general though.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

.........Maybe a little?

*shrugs*

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I would say no but it would make me feel better to say yes...

TDK Trioligy

Batman Begins 85%

The Dark Knight 94%

The Dark Knight Rises 87%

VS.

DCEU

Batman Vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice 27%

Suicide Squad 36%

If I'm being 100% honest to myself it seems that they just honestly review good and bad movies and you can't really judge them being bias when it's a community of users and critics. By doing so you're judging them as a whole and that's not really fair. That doesn't mean I disagree with them every once in awhile though.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By modernww2fare
Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@slayz said:

Rotten Tomatoes combines reviews from multiple sources, it can't be biased lol.

Now, of course, there are some reviewers I imagine are legitimately biased against DC properties. It's probably like a meme to them at this point just to harp on the DCEU.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

BvS TC was a messy movie, that it be difficult for most reviewers to say is a good movie, along with Man of Steel being darker then it needed to be. So I said no, but I will say that they do seem to have a bias on marvel considering Iron Man 2 is fresh somehow, and X-men apocalypse is rotten somehow. It seem like the gold standard is marvel movies for reviewers, even when some of them cough*Iron man 2 the crappy movie and lame villain*cough is sub par.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I'm not sure, but I've been a supporter of the conspiracy theory that many DC fans are biased for DCEU films.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

RT just aggregates the reviews of the websites/magazines etc. It's nothing on its own, I think they are biased but not because of some Marvel agenda. Critics tend to be uppity and have a contrarian approach. This is just my theory but I think they are against new entrants in the super hero blockbuster setting, they want the bubble to burst so that "important movies" can get the spot light.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think people confuse bias with expectation...Since the MCU has sort of defined what a Superhero movie is supposed to look like over the last 8 years, people have come to expect their cbms to be a certain way, preferably a blend of action and comedy..Not saying i agree with the expectation, quite the opposite i wont as many diverse cbms as possible..And then there's the simple fact that the movies just might be bad..lmao

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RT just aggregates the reviews of the websites/magazines etc. It's nothing on its own, I think they are biased but not because of some Marvel agenda. Critics tend to be uppity and have a contrarian approach. This is just my theory but I think they are against new entrants in the super hero blockbuster setting, they want the bubble to burst so that "important movies" can get the spot light.

Seems that way.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Certain critics are, but like Slayz said, RT isn't really a reviewer in itself.

Take this for example

MoS: 56% at 6.2/10

BvS: 27% at 4.9/10

Now, two comparably "bad" Marvel movies (this is not based on my opinion but based on various rating sites such as iMBD, RT, Metacritic, Google Play, Amazon, ComicBook movies, etc) from FANS:

Ironman 3: 79% at 7/10

Thor: TDW: 66% AT 6.2/10 (it got the same score as MoS, but more people liked it, telling me two things; the people who disliked MoS REALLY disliked it, OR the people who liked Thor REALLY liked it. I think the former is more likely)

Now tell me that there isn't something wrong with this picture? There's obviously a huge discrepancy between fan and critical opinion.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I guarantee the Lego Batman movie will get great reviews.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

It can't be that DC films or the DCEU approach to films is bad, it has to be a critics' agenda or an anti DC/pro Marvel agenda.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If there's bias, it's being pro-Disney. (And I disagree..Disney is dirty enough to do anything, but I digress) How else can one explain Thor, TDW, IM2, IM3 and AoU being "fresh". I also notice they seem to get a lot of passes. Little was said about Spidey being forced into CW. I can't imagine if WB had pulled something like that off that it wouldn't have been a bigger deal. Heck, TWS is my 2nd fav MCU and it had 3 cringe-worthy moments. (Cap and Black Widow kissing an holding hands to escape Hydra, Cap being 5 feet from the surface after being blown up in a underground computer room that took an elevator a long time to get down to it, and the professional assassins with high powered guns missing Nick Fury from point blank range..and maybe even Gary Shandling being cast as a villain.) The good parts overcame that, but I just don't think WB could've gotten away with something like that, or any other non-Disney studio.

Avatar image for sleeping_and_eating
sleeping_and_eating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is mind boggling....Snyder had nothing to do with the film this time.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By kcomicfan

No.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're heavily biased against bad movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman3000: except that the dark knight trilogy came before the mcu was really established as u can see with how people bashed TDKR that came out the same year as the avengers

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RT the site is not biased. In fact, iirc WB owns RT in some way. Plus the DC TV shows are rated very good too. That stated, I do think there is a bias among some or more of the critics. But they won't ever admit to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for thesilentripper
TheSilentRipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, the movies are just bad

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesilentripper: Well, it's not like RT hasn't given good ratings to bad movies (ghostbusters 2016, ironman 2, Lucy, etc.) so I understand why people think the reverse.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By TDK_1997

It seems that they aren't exactly against DC or Warner Bros. but more of against the different approach WB has towards it's movies. They want to see that Marvel tone in every comic book related movie and when they don't get it they immediately think it is something bad that would not last the test of time.

That's why I don't like Rotten Tomatoes. Most of the movies of my taste aren't of the website's taste.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

It seems that they aren't exactly against DC or Warner Bros. but more of against the different approach WB has towards it's movies. They want to see that Marvel tone in every comic book related movie and when they don't get it they immediately think it is something bad that would not last the test of time.

Bingo. And when they realize the movie doesn't follow the MCU approach, they dig into it and tear it apart.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. There's a bias among fans and the general audience. A moviegoer like me would class the ultimate cut of BVS as the best movie I've seen in a long time. However the average movie goer would rather a fun marvel movie and complain about superman being too dark and basically exaggerate problems which in turn place marvel on a pedestal

Long story short. The GA is too used to marvel films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, but I'm certain Comic Vine is biased toward DC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No. Deadpool has 83% and X men: Days of Future past has 91%. The reason DCEU films have bad reviews is probably because they're not favorable. Even though comic book fans loathe Marvel's worst films, they're at least competently made and enjoyable. The only one I legitimately can't stand is Thor: The Dark World but near enough every person I know who saw it, loved it. I think one person didn't enjoy it. On the flip side, I literally sold Man of Steel to my friends and they all saw it and most of them said it was boring and one person said it was average. The same group saw BVS and one thought it was worse then the Human centipede, the rest said it was rubbish. So, either DC is doing something very wrong or everyone is out to get them. But then again the highest rated CBM of all time is a DC film.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.............No.

TDK Trilogy, Burton films, and the original Superman franchise (first two) were all very well received. People just need to accept the idea that most reviewers give negative reviews to the films because they genuinely think it sucks. You can disagree and have your own opinion of course but don't pretend it's because of some overarching bias.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so pathetic.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mfundroid

No. Look at DC's television series, almost all of them are doing either good or great critically. Clearly their television department is doing something right.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: I just find your comments incredibly entertaining sometimes, LOL.

Avatar image for deactivated-1351355
deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

No, but I'm certain Comic Vine is biased toward DC.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No. Deadpool has 83% and X men: Days of Future past has 91%. The reason DCEU films have bad reviews is probably because they're not favorable. Even though comic book fans loathe Marvel's worst films, they're at least competently made and enjoyable. The only one I legitimately can't stand is Thor: The Dark World but near enough every person I know who saw it, loved it. I think one person didn't enjoy it. On the flip side, I literally sold Man of Steel to my friends and they all saw it and most of them said it was boring and one person said it was average. The same group saw BVS and one thought it was worse then the Human centipede, the rest said it was rubbish. So, either DC is doing something very wrong or everyone is out to get them. But then again the highest rated CBM of all time is a DC film.

This so much

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Asgaard

Nope! Its just the comic book fans mentality that is used to have huge influence in the bubble that they live in, but the movies medium is way bigger than the comics medium and if some youtubers and comic book sites are depend on the clicks from the fans, the reviewer from the Washington Post could care less about that... That is why i can constantly apply the sturgeon law on movies but not on comics, for the most part comics are always good...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mickey-mouse

Many of the publications owned by Time Warner give DC movies bad reviews; take a nap...

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

It can't be that DC films or the DCEU approach to films is bad, it has to be a critics' agenda or an anti DC/pro Marvel agenda.

@farkam said:

This is so pathetic.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DammeFavour: Getting 87% is not getting bashed. Critics and fans alike deemed a worthy end to the legacy Nolan crafted in fact it's more so the fans that bash TDKR not the critics.

Flickerblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, anyone who says yes is delusional. I mean seriously, learn how RT works first. It is a collection of various critic's reviews from hundreds of different media outlets, the percentage is the amount of favorable reviews (6/10 or higher). There are some critics who liked BvS and MoS but didn't like SS. Critics who liked SS but not BvS or MoS, some didn't like all three and then there is everything in between.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who voted yes, you're ignorant and don't know how Rotten Tomatoes works.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really.