Is planet level Bleach a formality?

NinjaRizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Your favourite Bleach blogger is back!

With the return of the Bleach anime, the age old discussion is back, a discussion I have made several threads about now. This will probably be the last thread until the Ichibei vs Yhwach fight, which will probably make things even worse for Bleach downplayers.

I’m going to talk about author intent.

I’m going to quote my thread Feats vs Statements below:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/ninjarizer/blog/feats-vs-statements/167068/

Statements are written by authors for a reason, and we KNOW in most cases they are canonically accurate unless they pose some huge narrative issue.

The narrative.

If a statement doesn’t cause a huge narrative issue, and is mentioned multiple times, it is likely true. It may not be completely quantifiable like an on panel feat, but it gives a general idea on what level a character should be placed at.

In the case of Papa Yamamoto. With these statements:

That were faced with such scrutiny, all turned out to be true. Who would have thought? Yamamoto is a passive life wiper, and passively multi-continental, by feats now…

It’s not surprising. And Bleach really isn’t the main issue here, the main issue, in my opinion, is accurately evaluating the narrative and using the good old noggin to see whether statements actually make sense to the overall story...

Vegeta never blew up the earth, but it makes sense that he can because weaker characters blew up moons. Cell never busted a solar system, but it makes sense because he absolutely dwarfs characters that dwarf characters that casually blow up large planets violently.

My question is this. Is planet+ level Bleach a formality because the God tiers are astronomically above Yamamoto, who is passively multi-continental? Is this even arguable anymore?

I will acknowledge that there are other Bleach scales that are technically correct due to the cosmology (the SS and Uni scale) but I have always maintained that planet level makes the most sense narrative wise, causes the least scaling issues when other characters are involved.

Avatar image for taurusaldebaran
TaurusAldebaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjarizer: Cell's Solar System busting comes from his own statesment.

Bleach planet level comes from we not agreeing if Soul Society is a Plane, a World or a Universe.

NinjaRizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjarizer: Cell's Solar System busting comes from his own statesment.

Bleach planet level comes from we not agreeing if Soul Society is a Plane, a World or a Universe.

It doesn’t come from this, this is a misconception.

Soul Society is a planet and always has been as a baseline. It is explicitly stated and shown to be a parallel earth.

Never has it ever been referred to as a plane or can it even be interpreted as such. If a certain section of Soul Society need be specified, they refer to Seireitei or the Rukongai, ALWAYS.

As a result, statements of planetary destruction by Aizen and Yhwach are at the bare minimum planet level.

Cosmology wise, Soul Society can be extrapolated to the whole universe for various reasons, having different matter than the material universe for example (reishi and kishi).

However, the datebooks refer to Soul Society as a parallel earth first and foremost.

RDCDesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RDCDesmond

Im a believer in Planet - + lv Bleach God tiers through effecting the worlds like SS and Earth. Just not a believer in those worlds being solar systems or universes. Kinda wild how far people will take it. Appreciate your honesty. Its refreshing to see fans be non biased for a change.

shirso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shirso

Bruh what exactly happened in the anime that people are so losing their minds. I just watched the episode and he performed the exact same feats for the most part, had the exact same statements. The only addition I can think of is a potted plant somewhere was shown combusting which again isn't anything beyond what the manga already had.

And no he isn't passively multi continental lol, I guess you conveniently forgot this statement from Toshiro which was again repeated verbatim in the anime, about how the moisture in the Soul Society is quietly and slowlydisappearing:

No Caption Provided
Wanderez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wanderez

@ninjarizer:

There are a lot of other statements/feats that reach planet level and beyond in Bleach, in fact Yamamoto's Bankai is hardly required.

With that being said - planet sized Soul Society and universe sized Soul Society are interchangeable, because depending on the context the term itself can refer to either the planet or the universe and it is rather clear when the term is used for the former (Sokyoku, Yamamoto's Bankai) or the latter (Reio, Yhwach, Soul Cycle).

Wanderez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wanderez

@shirso:

He could be passively multi-continental depending on the timeframe. While the anime doesn't really bring a lot of new stuff, it certainly strengthens the foundation of Yamamoto's Bankai's power. For one, we get to see that the water inside the vase at Unohana's place evaporate the moment the Bankai was activated. We also have an episode eyecatch which reiterated Yamamoto's Bankai affecting all of Soul Society's atmosphere. It's little things like this that help sell it more cause up until the episode came out there were still people in denial who were asking why the ground beneath Yamamoto's feet was fine in the manga.

Edgelord91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting

shirso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wanderez:

For one, we get to see that the water inside the vase at Unohana's place evaporate the moment the Bankai was activated.

It was pretty much instant in the manga too. Although it did far more impressive things instantly than vaping a vase of water anyway, like preventing Toshiro's Bankai from working.

We also have an episode eyecatch which reiterated Yamamoto's Bankai affecting all of Soul Society's atmosphere.

Must have missed it. Are you talking of when he activates Bankai and the sky behind him goes completely white or something? That's not remotely close to proving it instantly affected all of the planet's atmosphere lol. Hell it doesn't even prove it instantly affected all of the Seireitei's atmosphere as obviously the entire sky of the Seireitei wouldn't be visible from that perspective. Considering Seireitei is supposed to be country sized.

It's little things like this that help sell it more cause up until the episode came out there were still people in denial who were asking why the ground beneath Yamamoto's feet was fine in the manga.

Showing the ground beneath his feet melting was a nice touch I will agree.

Wanderez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wanderez
@shirso said:

@wanderez:

Must have missed it. Are you talking of when he activates Bankai and the sky behind him goes completely white or something? That's not remotely close to proving it instantly affected all of the planet's atmosphere lol. Hell it doesn't even prove it instantly affected all of the Seireitei's atmosphere as obviously the entire sky of the Seireitei wouldn't be visible from that perspective. Considering Seireitei is supposed to be country sized.

Nah, it's the thing they have for AOT, FMAB and other series where they make a quick pause to show facts about different stuff. Lemme see if I can find it real quick.

Dryke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dryke

@shirso: Even if the moisture in SS was "slowly disappearing", being able to affect all the moisture on a planet wide scale seems like a continental level feat in terms of energy output. Also the term "slowly" is relative especially since we are talking about the entirety of SS.

Lastly, it's implied that the effects would get much worse overtime leading to SS's destruction

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

shirso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ilyas97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes Bleach is Planetary to Multi-Planetary.

The reason why Yamas Bankai didn’t destroy Soul Society is because he was holding back and couldn’t fight at maximum power otherwise Soul Society and Yamamoto would have been dust.

thenamelessone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

a formality implies it being objectively unquestionable , so No.

Goku33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Goku33

planet sized soul society lmfao

No Caption Provided

even buildings inside are visible😭

Yamamoto large city lvl. at best

Wanderez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wanderez
@goku33 said:

planet sized soul society lmfao

No Caption Provided

even buildings inside are visible😭

Yamamoto large city lvl. at best

No Caption Provided

Even the TYBW anime depicted on several occasions the Seireitei to extend over the horizon, which indicates tens if not hundreds of kilometers based on these visuals alone:

Also, this is not Soul Society, this is the Seireitei which is located in the Soul Society.

Goku33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Goku33

@wanderez: I still see buildings. Author drew it that way for a reason. If he wanted to depict a country or a planet, he would have done so already like this-

No Caption Provided

Even Kubo is not dumb enough not to understand that buildings aren't visible at such range. But nearly 700 chapters of Bleach and still not a single such depiction. Plus still not a single statement except the "10 days" one in all of 700 chapters, where you also have to consider their resting and sleeping time in-between.

I know that's not whole soul society, but seiretei is still a big part of it.

Wanderez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goku33 said:

@wanderez: I still see buildings. Author drew it that way for a reason. If he wanted to depict a country or a planet, he would have done so already like this-

No Caption Provided

Even Kubo is not dumb enough not to understand that buildings aren't visible at such range. But nearly 700 chapters of Bleach and still not a single such depiction. Plus still not a single statement except the "10 days" one in all of 700 chapters, where you also have to consider their resting and sleeping time in-between.

I know that's not whole soul society, but seiretei is still a big part of it.

Exactly, Kubo is not dumb. He wouldn't make characters say that circling around a multi-city block takes 40 days.
Kubo is one out of many whose art is inconsistent. Context>>>visuals.

Also, not a single statement except Yoruichi's? Really now? How about forests and mountainous terrain being stated to exist within the Seireitei? How about the Seireitei homing cities? How about Seireitei being stated to have more districts than Japan? How about Kubo literally giving us a distance to work with in the FtB movie? How about Toshiro creating a storm several kilometers in diameter and nobody even noticing it?

I could go on and on, just let me know and I will.