Is Neon Genesis Evangelion one of the greatest anime ever?

• 66 results
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

frozen  Moderator

Poll Is Neon Genesis Evangelion one of the greatest anime ever? (50 votes)

Yes 48%
No 52%

NGE

IMO it is. I don't understand the criticisms towards it. They feel shallow to me, NGE isn't a true mecha story as its character first. It uses the mechas as a vehicle to explore its themes. Its first and foremost a character study, and Shinji's arc is one of the most haunting and effecting in any piece of fiction imo. It's a very heavy series, sure it's not as fun as something like DBZ but it's also not as shallow as a show like that.

What do you think?

No Caption Provided

• 
Maevis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lol

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes

azraelotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Yes.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say it's up there, yes.

azraelotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

mielle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely.

batstroke2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not just one of, it's THE greatest.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 frozen  Moderator
Avatar image for deactivated-648a60c474283
deactivated-648a60c474283

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eva is good. It deserves its praise as a groundbreaking anime. it’s very deep and multi layered. Easy to see why anime nerds have been analyzing it since forever.

I say the characters and themes are its strongest points. The actual way the narrative is laid out can be a bit of a mess at times, so anyone who personally criticizes it for that is fair. Not to mention there’s sort of a wealth of lore that’s lost in the ether, found in other sources and not communicated in the show itself, which may have been a conscious choice by Aono. And people can also just criticize it if it’s not for them. Something being deep, complex, or artistic can be fine in its own way, but some people just want to watch things for fun. A story being complex Isn’t by default better than a story that’s more simple or with simple themes.

batstroke2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By batstroke2000
@millanor said:

Something being deep, complex, or artistic can be fine in its own way, but some people just want to watch things for fun. A story being complex Isn’t by default better than a story that’s more simple or with simple themes.

Alan Moore's Watchmen exists you know. Same with 2001, The Sandman and The Sopranos.

Avatar image for chris2kzombieki
chris2kzombieki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes it’s very good, one of my best anime’s.

But it isn’t one of my favorites. While I thought it was good, I myself wouldn’t watch it again.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@frozen: Haven’t seen it but I wouldn’t call DBZ shallow tbh

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make my top 5 for sure

Avatar image for ragingsaiyan101
RagingSaiyan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought you said THE greatest and picked no, it is absolutely one of the best

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Futureisbest

Why are they trying to slander this good anime, it's not the greatest, everyone has their problems with it, but is it bad? no.

it's completely different from your typical here fight bad guy, finds a lover on the way type beat. it's more psychological, but for people who want their shonen fix, this isn't the anime for you. You're not gonna be satisfied by the end of it, it's not meant to make you feel joy for the characters or relate to them, just understand who they are and what they're going through. But no "shinji is a pussy" is all you can say.

Just hate to hate... yes it has it's consistency flaws, but otherwise it's a good show to watch if you're not afraid off harsh reality of humanity.

Signing out

Avatar image for deactivated-648a60c474283
deactivated-648a60c474283

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batstroke2000:

Alan Moore's Watchmen exists you know. Same with 2001, The Sandman and The Sopranos.

Yes. But I’m not sure what you were trying to say with this by responding to my comment.

MrLibido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yesh

Avatar image for deactivated-654d15f5f3f34
deactivated-654d15f5f3f34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 takenstew22  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for miguelcervantes
MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monster is better :3

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's contender for the best.

Being ONE of the best is a definite yes.

CryoLancer47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah. And it has one of the sickest Openings to ever exist:

Loading Video...

Cruel Angel's Thesis is a work of art.

vjbthe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get it man, too deep for me...

PrinceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like it, but in reality its probably not in my top 25

azraelotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

ChainChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ChainChan

Shit was grulling to watch. never watching this shit again, but i cant say i didnt like some aspects--cant say i enjoyed it fully though.

Supreme101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28 Supreme101  Online

Read the manga and I give that a respectful No

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sirfizzwhizz  Online

Evangelion is pretentious as hell in many ways, but also solid as fug all now we have the rebirth series.

• Original Evangelion was a bit of a mess, trying to be edgy, and just depressing as the writer who made it.
  • The Movies were SUPER self destructive and offensive as the writer was at the time he made those.
  • The Rebirth series is finally the writer stating his depression is on the control, and at his older age sees value and hope in life. Which as a older adult who grew up on this stuff as it first came out I appreciate so much and now can relate to.

So it started edgy and trash decades ago, IMO, but ended beautifully as of real recently.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 frozen  Moderator

Evangelion is pretentious as hell in many ways, but also solid as fug all now we have the rebirth series.

• Original Evangelion was a bit of a mess, trying to be edgy, and just depressing as the writer who made it.
  • The Movies were SUPER self destructive and offensive as the writer was at the time he made those.
  • The Rebirth series is finally the writer stating his depression is on the control, and at his older age sees value and hope in life. Which as a older adult who grew up on this stuff as it first came out I appreciate so much and now can relate to.

So it started edgy and trash decades ago, IMO, but ended beautifully as of real recently.

the creator also made Shin Godzilla right? Best Godzilla since 1954.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sirfizzwhizz  Online

@frozen said:
@sirfizzwhizz said:

the creator also made Shin Godzilla right? Best Godzilla since 1954.

Thats right, he made Shin Godzilla. I am still very mix on that movie tbh. Like its a solid movie, but I still dont like that version of Goji.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@sirfizzwhizz:

Aside from the whole GZ being a fish part, that film really captures what Godzilla was originally about. Godzilla isn't supposed to be the way he is in Monsterverse, which is an ancient monster and part of the "natural" order. Godzilla is supposed to be the opposite of natural. Shin Godzilla looks so unnatural and unholy. He is an abomination created by humans. He is the consequence of our sins. He shouldn't be this millions of years old creature IMO.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sirfizzwhizz  Online

@frozen: Meh Godzilla is unnatural in some things and "natural" in others though. Earth Godzilla... natural. Final Wars... natural. Singular Point.... natural. Legendary...natural.

So Godzilla is not always man made disaster. However Legendary captures what Godzilla truly is, whether natural or not, GZ is first and foremost a unstoppable act of nature. Something Humans cannot deal with. Thats where Shin Godzilla fails miserably. He was pretty easy to figure and out and dealt with real world methods.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 frozen  Moderator

@frozen: Meh Godzilla is unnatural in some things and "natural" in others though. Earth Godzilla... natural. Final Wars... natural. Singular Point.... natural. Legendary...natural.

So Godzilla is not always man made disaster. However Legendary captures what Godzilla truly is, whether natural or not, GZ is first and foremost a unstoppable act of nature. Something Humans cannot deal with. Thats where Shin Godzilla fails miserably. He was pretty easy to figure and out and dealt with real world methods.

Godzilla, as he was originally conceived, isn't unstoppable. He was defeated in the original film by scientists.

GZ has been reinterpreted in many different ways over the years. But the original GZ is a man made horror monster that society must band together to put an end to. GZ losing is actually necessary for this point to work.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sirfizzwhizz  Online

@frozen:

Godzilla, as he was originally conceived, isn't unstoppable. He was defeated in the original film by scientists.

Godzilla was only killed by another unstoppable weapon. The idea was originally GZ representing the most destructive weapon Mankind ever known, Nukes, but then beaten only by a theoretical weapons more dangerous, Oxygen Destroyer. A mystical non existent thing. Even then his death been retcon Heisei, Godzilla vs Megaguirus, and GMK who all survive the OD in original movie.

GZ has been reinterpreted in many different ways over the years. But the original GZ is a man made horror monster that society must band together to put an end to. GZ losing is actually necessary for this point to work.

Not at all as Showa, 2000, Final Wars, Megaguirus, Legendary, Heisei all shown. GZ is something humans cannot put him down at all, and even turn to to save them from foes beyond Humans abilities.

Again Shin GZ required real world solutions and weapons to harm and beat. He was one step above Tri-Star Zilla.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 frozen  Moderator

@sirfizzwhizz:

Shin GZ required real world solutions because it's based on 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. Shin GZ is the only GZ film since the original which actually depicts how the govt would respond to the emergence of GZ in real life. And we see all the different factions - military, scientists, politicians etc.

As for how he was beaten, pretty sure they used a super weapon too by freezing him IIRC.

All the other films are more concerned with being fun kauji films rather than serious commentaries. Which is fine BTW, there's nothing wrong with that at all. It's what drew me to the franchise. But Shin is definitely faithful to the origins of the character.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sirfizzwhizz  Online

@frozen:

As for how he was beaten, pretty sure they used a super weapon too by freezing him IIRC.

What they used to stop him was real life chemicals that actually froze him solid do this his DNA and body temperatures nonsense. They used mild explosives and bombs to injure and knock Shin around to pump chemicals. Its was rather sad performance.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 takenstew22  Moderator

@sirfizzwhizz: I enjoy Shin for what it was. It's supposed to be an entirely different Godzilla but in the same spirit as the 1954 original.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 frozen  Moderator

@frozen:

What they used to stop him was real life chemicals that actually froze him solid do this his DNA and body temperatures nonsense. They used mild explosives and bombs to injure and knock Shin around to pump chemicals. Its was rather sad performance.

Pretty sure it's still a fictionalised weapon. And Shin GZ is still quite a bit more powerful than the 1954 one they used an OD on.

Shin GZ needed to lose because the point of the film was to show how effective and inspiring society can be when they band together to clean up their messes.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sirfizzwhizz  Online

@frozen:

Pretty sure it's still a fictionalised weapon.

They used blood coagulant?! That real world stuff.

And Shin GZ is still quite a bit more powerful than the 1954 one they used an OD on.

Shin was knocked out by exploding trains and damage heavily by MOP "bunker-buster" bomb from American bombers. Thats pretty weak.

@sirfizzwhizz: I enjoy Shin for what it was. It's supposed to be an entirely different Godzilla but in the same spirit as the 1954 original.

Dont care it looked like ass to me, had weird ass looking forms like the turkey looking lizard form, bleh, and it was harm by real world stuff.

Funny enough Shin had less screen time than Legendary 2014 had too lol.

It really sucked IMO.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 takenstew22  Moderator

@sirfizzwhizz: 1954 Godzilla also had small screen time. It couldn't convey its message without human scenes and characters.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sirfizzwhizz  Online

@takenstew22: original Godzilla had good actors and characters as well focuse on the real life horrors of radiation affecting Japanese from the bombs.

Godzilla 2014 had incompentent actors with no stakes or appeal focused on killing off the good actor early on cheaply. Likely why the wackier KotM and GvK are re watchable to me.

Shin Godzilla had no emotional acting or stakes and focuse on economics and politics of a disaster more so emotional devastation of the people. It realky bored me tbh.

So thate my stance on that 😏

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 takenstew22  Moderator

@takenstew22: original Godzilla had good actors and characters as well focuse on the real life horrors of radiation affecting Japanese from the bombs.

Godzilla 2014 had incompentent actors with no stakes or appeal focused on killing off the good actor early on cheaply. Likely why the wackier KotM and GvK are re watchable to me.

Shin Godzilla had no emotional acting or stakes and focuse on economics and politics of a disaster more so emotional devastation of the people. It realky bored me tbh.

Shin Godzilla represented the Tōhoku earthquake/tsunami and the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, and how poorly the Japanese government responded to it.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sirfizzwhizz  Online
@takenstew22 said:
@sirfizzwhizz said:

Shin Godzilla represented the Tōhoku earthquake/tsunami and the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, and how poorly the Japanese government responded to it.

No, it represented the economics and politics of that disaster. Nothing about the actual suffering people, their horror, or emotion to anything. Unlike first film. First film had little to none scenes dedicated to politcal games and decisions. It focuses on people suffering and emotional connections of the lead actors. As well the moral dilemma and self sacrifice of Dr Serizawa.

cergic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cergic

I dislike the attempt they made to shift the parameters (originally) and introduce the more abstract elements to it the way they did it since it got so heavily punished by the pacing, and the identity crisis it seemingly had a despite some small hints of what was unfolding.

Someone started with gluesniffing at the production endstage, big time, or started to be pretentious as heck,and it shows in the overall quality imo. So it's great, yet not part of the GOAT-gang. The iterations are not the same though, so there's that

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Not really a surprise Comic Vine can't appreciate fictional works that have complex themes and characters. It seems like nearly everything has to be like the MCU or a generic Shonen on here. Requiring thought = pretentions apparently.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 frozen  Moderator

No Caption Provided

Not really a surprise Comic Vine can't appreciate fictional works that have complex themes and characters. It seems like nearly everything has to be like the MCU or a generic Shonen on here. Requiring thought = pretentions apparently.

Tbf most of the comments said yes it seemed like those voting no didn't bother to argue. Maybe because they couldn't justify it or simply couldn't be bothered.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50 krisbishop  Moderator

@takenstew22: If the story is simple then it's "too simple", "rudimentary", "lacks nuance", "for children'". But if it has deep themes or requires thought then it's "edgy", "pretentious"... "for children" as well. Some people are just mindless haters, unfortunately.