Is Justice League still the biggest flop of all time after Solo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JuJuCrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Justice League still the biggest flop of all time after Solo? (25 votes)

Yes 56%
No 44%
Result 0%

Much more was riding on Justice League. The crown jewel of the DCU was supposed to catapult DC to Marvel status. It lost 100mil short of profit. 32% RT.

Solo: it's grossing much less. Looks like it will end its run around 450mil. Probably a negative of 150mil. Buuuuut....not nearest as much was riding on this film. A spinoff prequel not an actual episode.

JL most damaging to the brand.

Solo lost more money but won't hurt the studio as much.

Which is worse?

• 
Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JL at least Solo was a good film...(I don't even like the original trilogy)...JL was awful...

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Both movies are forgettable (Granted I enjoy JL way more then Solo). I think JL was the step in the right direction, Solo is the step in the wrong direction. I think both are ewually damaging to the brand, but Solo lost more money.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By buttersdaman000
CaptainSalt watching MCU/Disney SW movies
CaptainSalt watching MCU/Disney SW movies

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League made over 650 million on a 300 million budget. So many other movies have not been able to make their budget back like King Arthur. It definitely is not the biggest flop of all time.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's definitely the worst DCEU movie so far, I can say that.

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can JL be a bigger flop if Solo lost more money?

Let's be real here.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xzenix-everdeen: Because it may damage the brand long term...we don't know for sure...Solo isn't stopping Star Wars anytime soon.

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amonfire1776: Hypothetically? Yes, but Solo is the bigger flop as it stands

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xzenix-everdeen: Because it may damage the brand long term...we don't know for sure...Solo isn't stopping Star Wars anytime soon.

I see Solo/TLJ hurting Star Wars more in the long run than anything the DCEU does to the DC Brand.

JuJuCrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000:

"I see Solo/TLJ hurting Star Wars more in the long run than anything the DCEU does to the DC Brand."

Really? How?

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000:

"I see Solo/TLJ hurting Star Wars more in the long run than anything the DCEU does to the DC Brand."

Really? How?

The DC Brand has gone through multiple movies way worse than the current ones in the DCEU. Even the people who hate the DCEU would likely prefer it to the quality of films we were getting before the Nolan movies. And the characters in the DCEU are established cultural constants that can be revamped/restarted time and time again.

Star Wars, on the other hand, is so divisive that a large portion of people are actually starting to look at the prequels they previously hated in a better light. From what we see, Star Wars literally peaked in quality almost 40 years ago, and these new movies have no hope of even matching that level. If Episode 9 is as disappointing/mundane as the last two ventures have been I can easily see the average fans giving up on Star Wars completely. With everyone from the old guard dead, and the new characters not catching on as much as one would hope, episode 9 is a make it or break it type of situation.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JuJuCrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: yeah I'm not feeling him on any of what he said.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: yeah I'm not feeling him on any of what he said.

Of course you aren't lol

ThunderPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

Both movies are forgettable (Granted I enjoy JL way more then Solo). I think JL was the step in the right direction, Solo is the step in the wrong direction. I think both are equally damaging to the brand, but Solo lost more money.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

JL was never the biggest flop to begin with, so what kind of question is this?

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ain't Solo the bigger flop in terms of actual loses?

The answer to which is "more damaging" requires a little more analysis with the following consideration:

1. Is DC really that big or successful to begin with in comparison to what the SW franchise had already attained?

DC is in rough competition with Marvel right off the bat. In my opinion the comparison with MCU is the one that actually hurts DCEU and forces them to spawn a movie like JL as MCU's success pretty much dictated their direction in movie.

They couldn't find their artistic identity, in the end they attempted to copy MCU but failed miserably.

2. Is Solo really the one who damaged the SW franchise?

I think TLJ is more of the culprit here and Solo is more like a helpless casualty.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Supeman,Batman,The Flash,Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Cyborg In one movie made less than Doctor Strange. That’s a flop