Is it true Marvel is going to stop with the SJW push?!

• 80 results
Druzzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They didn't lose money did they? I thought they were making a lot and opening up new markets? Is this article legit?

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/02/08/marvel-comics-to-abandon-social-justice-storylines/

Would be bad for progress if they revert back to the old fuddy duddies.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@druzzie said:

Would be bad for progress if they revert back to the old fuddy duddies.

Social justice war is not progress. It's degradation.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What exactly counts as SJW stories? Cause it mostly just seems like people complaining over small stuff like a character calling themselves a feminist

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only thing worse than SJW's are the people constantly complaining about SJW's.

If you can't tell, I'm not a fan of either.

My philosophy is if I don't like something about a comic book, I don't buy it. Not in some vain hope that my personal boycott will change anything, I really don't care. I just won't buy it cuz it's not worth buying something I don't like. Plus, there are so many other great comics out there, I won't feel like I'm missing anything.

My two cents.

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope so. All the cuck pandering with flunkies like Nick Spencer and Jason Aaron is cringeworthy.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My philosophy is if I don't like something about a comic book, I don't buy it. Not in some vain hope that my personal boycott will change anything, I really don't care. I just won't buy it cuz it's not worth buying something I don't like. Plus, there are so many other great comics out there, I won't feel like I'm missing anything.

My two cents.

No Caption Provided

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just tell Jason Aaron to lighten up with the pandering,lal.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they do that, I will bake a cake

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My two cents.

That's your personal opinion but then we go around in circles as I find comments like yours worse. They are pretentious and add nothing to the conversation, you have this odd notion that sitting on the fence makes you superior.

Your philosophy is also terrible. If you like a long running comic and someone comes along and vocally criticizes it, the comics changes into something you don't like then you can't say anything, you must move on. To sum it up you are saying you have given up your right to criticize.

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't get what Marvel has done that counts as SJW.Liberal and SJW aren't synonymous

ArtThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArtThief

@judasnixon said:
@stumpy49er said:

My two cents.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

what kind

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My two cents.

Is not a "personal boycott" only people sharing their opinions just like you're doing right now.You're not really different from them in any way.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My two cents.

No Caption Provided

Bardock52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll bake 12 cakes

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Yassassin

It wouldn't make a lick of difference since, the people who originally made these bad decisions an are helming these character's would most likely be still operating on them.

I mean, would Champions be any better if it were a bunch of old white or brown characters instead new brown ones. I sure as hell don't think so.

There's nothing inherently wrong with "social justice story-lines" hell, depending on you're definition of it, that's always been comic's shtick, what Marvel needs is better writers, strict editors, and a sterner focus on character continuity.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er said:

My two cents.

That's your personal opinion but then we go around in circles as I find comments like yours worse. They are pretentious and add nothing to the conversation, you have this odd notion that sitting on the fence makes you superior.

Your philosophy is also terrible. If you like a long running comic and someone comes along and vocally criticizes it, the comics changes into something you don't like then you can't say anything, you must move on. To sum it up you are saying you have given up your right to criticize.

Ok. Well, I honestly don't like SJW's nor do I like people who complain about them. Doesn't make me superior, just makes me honest.

As for the criticizing stuff, dude, everyone criticizes everything. I don't even think the writers changed the comics because of criticism, I think they changed it because that's what they wanted to do. I can either get worked up about something I don't like and can do nothing about or I can just move on.

Laiks Stake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope so.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_stegman  Moderator

@artthief said:
@judasnixon said:
@stumpy49er said:

My two cents.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@artthief said:
@judasnixon said:
@stumpy49er said:

My two cents.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Agree..except I think SJW's are still worse than folks that complain about them. It's close, but on my annoying ledger, the SJW's finish ahead.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So are all sjw's evil or something?

Anyways I agree with comment 4. I also don't think that everything they do that can be seen as sjw pandering is that necessarily, could be that the writer wanted to change something cause they thought it might be interesting or something along those lines.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2 said:

So are all sjw's evil or something?

Yes.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By righteous300

SJWs are the worse, yet I don't remember them being the ones sending death threats to writers

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artthief said:
@judasnixon said:
@stumpy49er said:

My two cents.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Favorite quote I've heard: SJWs and the people that constantly complain about SJWs deserve each other.

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss when Aaron was just writing for Ghost Rider, the Punisher, and Wolverine. He was so good with anti-heroes

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if a company can write a minority character and try not to preach about the usual tropes associated with Social Justice or bitch about how much they've been discriminated against- they should go for it. I discovered Batwoman who is LGBT was an amazing character, and reading her thoughts and how strong she was impressed me a lot. In comparison to Marvel shoving out forgettable characters Kamala Khan and Cho Hulk, who no one will remember in 20 years time. Marvel just tried to pander to a market who doesn't give a care about comics, and have alienated a core group of their fanbase. Glad to see they admitted their mistake, and if they're going to adopt minority characters should actually focus on developing their identity rather than pandering

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think if a company can write a minority character and try not to preach about the usual tropes associated with Social Justice or bitch about how much they've been discriminated against- they should go for it. I discovered Batwoman who is LGBT was an amazing character, and reading her thoughts and how strong she was impressed me a lot. In comparison to Marvel shoving out forgettable characters Kamala Khan and Cho Hulk, who no one will remember in 20 years time. Marvel just tried to pander to a market who doesn't give a care about comics, and have alienated a core group of their fanbase. Glad to see they admitted their mistake, and if they're going to adopt minority characters should actually focus on developing their identity rather than pandering

Agree. Cannot stand pandering.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hope so. They ought to change their course.

Take a look at DC. Currently, they have 2 Wally's. the OG Wally and the New52 Wally. Sure, most people don't like the latter, but at least they aren't trying to shove him down our throats and make good stories such as Flash (he's a supporting character) , Teen Titans (main member now).

So, Marvel, don't be stubborn and realize that you have to change your direction.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't tend to take anyone seriously that uses that acronym unironically.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@georgewbush said:

Agree. Cannot stand pandering.

Yep. Thing is, it takes no creativity or talent to pander. Simply think of what the group you're pandering wants to hear and put it in your story. A good example of a way to do this with some taste is Green Arrow's current run. They decided to make Oliver a left-wing type hero, like he was in the late 60's. Fine. I often disagree with what he says. but I can still relate to why he feels that way. It doesn't feel pushy or preachy (most of the time) simply a character in a book that has a different world view than I do. I can live with that, even enjoy it. When it has the vibe of "This is what we stand for, please be impressed with how upright and moral we are," I can't read that.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What exactly counts as SJW stories? Cause it mostly just seems like people complaining over small stuff like a character calling themselves a feminist

^

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomkatie said:
@the_stegman said:
@artthief said:
@judasnixon said:
@stumpy49er said:

My two cents.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Favorite quote I've heard: SJWs and the people that constantly complain about SJWs deserve each other.

But TRUMP!

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artthief said:
@judasnixon said:
@stumpy49er said:

My two cents.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39 dernman  Online

SJWs are the worse, yet I don't remember them being the ones sending death threats to writers

I do many times. It's just that double standard again where one's side gets more attention. SJWs are still seen as the good guys and those who fight them have the stigma of being everything bad.

Heck look at what happens at collages. You seriously get attacked these days. Then the media writes shit like is it ok to hit a Nazi. Nazi being anyone that stands up to SJW.

HDoom16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@druzzie: it's actually good for progress because the social justice war is destroying western society

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister1 said:
@stumpy49er said:

My two cents.

Ok. Well, I honestly don't like SJW's nor do I like people who complain about them. Doesn't make me superior, just makes me honest.

As for the criticizing stuff, dude, everyone criticizes everything. I don't even think the writers changed the comics because of criticism, I think they changed it because that's what they wanted to do. I can either get worked up about something I don't like and can do nothing about or I can just move on.

I never said it made you superior, I said it gives the impression that you feel like you are superior. You make a blanket statement that all these people are annoying regardless of what the individual arguments are.

This is all about criticism and your "people can get worked" up about is you again trying to paint people participating in these debates as doing something beneath you.

You may not like the discussion so you can go, entering into a discussion with the attitude that you don't care so nobody is allowed to care has alway's been arrogant to me. You are on a forum where people often discuss who would win between fictional characters, what idea got in your head that we would suddenly walk away from any debate about real life subject matter.

Your bit about writers shows you don't really understand the process. There are editors, multiple writers for a single characters, outside political pressure and the idea of giving customers what they like.

Kevin Smith did a Spiderman issue about rape, he gave Black Cat a victim and he wanted to make it a lot worse by having her drugged and raped within the comic, but the editor stopped him. By your standards no one gets to complain, that's what the writer wants to do.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By stumpy49er

@dextersinister1 said:
@stumpy49er said:
@dextersinister1 said:
@stumpy49er said:

My two cents.

I never said it made you superior, I said it gives the impression that you feel like you are superior. You make a blanket statement that all these people are annoying regardless of what the individual arguments are.

This is all about criticism and your "people can get worked" up about is you again trying to paint people participating in these debates as doing something beneath you.

You may not like the discussion so you can go, entering into a discussion with the attitude that you don't care so nobody is allowed to care has alway's been arrogant to me. You are on a forum where people often discuss who would win between fictional characters, what idea got in your head that we would suddenly walk away from any debate about real life subject matter.

Your bit about writers shows you don't really understand the process. There are editors, multiple writers for a single characters, outside political pressure and the idea of giving customers what they like.

Kevin Smith did a Spiderman issue about rape, he gave Black Cat a victim and he wanted to make it a lot worse by having her drugged and raped within the comic, but the editor stopped him. By your standards no one gets to complain, that's what the writer wants to do.

Dude, what have you added to this debate other than criticize my opinion and insult me by calling me pretentious, arrogant and saying that my philosophy is terrible?

I gave my personal opinion on this subject. That's more than you added. Only thing you've added to this debate that you seem to care so much about is that you don't like my opinion.

Also, I knew what you meant by me thinking I'm superior. My rebuff, which you ignored, was that I don't think I'm superior, I'm just being honest about my opinion.

Furthermore, what exactly is it were supposed to be debating? Wether or not SJW's are terrible people?

Based on your talking point, I'm supposed to be either 100% against SJW's or 100% for them. I'm neither. Doesn't mean I'm neutral, just means I'm somewhere in the middle.

Lets apply your philosophy to actual real world debates, like immigration. Based on your view, either I think we should build a giant wall across all borders and not let anyone in or I think we should just let everyone in, regardless of their past. The fact is, like many people, I don't support either of those ideas. I'm somewhere in the middle. I feel like these issues are more complicated than pro vs con. BTW, I just used that as an example, not trying to talk immigration on here.

Also, there is a difference between criticizing things you don't like and complaining. In the past I used to complain about Spider-Man comics. This is way before Miles came along. I didn't like the direction the writers were taking Peter. Most people I talked to seemed to like it. Eventually, I decided to just stop reading Spider-Man and started reading comics I liked. I'm still critical of it but I no longer complain about it.

There are still plenty of Spider-Man comics from the past I can read and enjoy. As for the new stuff, out of sight out of mind. My whole point there was why waste my time complaining about something I can't fix when I could just move on to something I like more.

Lastly, were clearly not going to see eye to eye on anything and I'm tired of arguing.

Nuff said.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this going to set back progress? Why would comic books not including as much political correctness hurt progress?

If your vision of progress rests entirely on comic books, then it wasn't very strong to begin with.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. It's possible to write good characters that are part of a minority (Batwoman being a lesbian), without shoving the SJW crap down your throat. However Marvel sometimes really is annoying about it.

Avatar image for putstheshocktoyoursystem
PutsTheShockToYourSystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may have been said already but if you NEED a character to be black or gay or a woman or anything like that I take it as a sign of being insecure. Some of my favorite characters in fiction don't look like me. Steve Rogers? Not black like me. Diana of Themyscira? Not a dude like me. The TMNT? Dudes but not human. Optimus Prime? TECHNICALLY DOESN'T HAVE A GENDER! AND IS A F#$÷#*=G ROBOT IN DISGUISE...

That being said you cannot force real world shit into comic shit. And you can't alienate the main buyers of your product. Bad business Marvel!

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for bloodyheadfairy
bloodyheadfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Ok, this discussion isn't one I'm too keen on getting involved in, but there's a difference between an "SJW" and an actual social activist. There's nothing wrong with replacing a character, and it doesn't make it instantly pandering when that character isn't of the same race, gender, religion(A topic I actually wish comics featured more), and sexual orientation. I do get, however, that some of the recent changes made were not successful for entirely different reasons. I'm personally sick of Steve as Cap, and wouldn't it be great to get someone else's perspective on being Hulk? But whatever the case, SJWs are irritating, of course. But people who use "pandering" as an excuse to complain about a character being replaced, or people who believe that any choice to make a character a different race, etc. are also a pain. And not to say that there aren't cases of pandering in comics, but when a character remains the same for so many years, it borders on pandering not to try something new.

Bardockdiaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

well, they are selling, so probably not.