Is it possible to be a DCEU fan and still think that DCEU is inferior to MCU in terms of writing/entertainment?

• 61 results
MajorSour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is it possible to be a DCEU fan and still think that DCEU is inferior to MCU in terms of writing/entertainment? (102 votes)

Yes 78%
No 22%

Just wondering. Because I heard a lot of extreme opinions on both sides but rarely seemed to hear the more nuanced, more thoroughly thought-up opinions.

• 
The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The_Hajduk

NO, CHOOSE A SIDE

Avatar image for generalbeastgod
generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comicvine logic...NO!!

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4868fccca5c
deactivated-5a4868fccca5c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently not, if you think the movies are bad, some people think you just don't understand them.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

I'm a DC fan but I have only liked WW and MOS you can't really compare the MCU and the DCEU they're in different leagues the revenues speak for themselves Marvel has blown them out of them out of the water

byrd42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only an idiot would think that the DCCU is better than the MCU. They have only had one outstanding movie (Wonder Woman) and that was the only one that managed to capture any of the magical feel of marvel movies.

Avatar image for speedforceuser_
speedforceuser_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By speedforceuser_

I'm a DC fan and I'm proud. Marvel movies just don't captivate me...they just don't. Alot of MCU fanboys love Marvel because they have high revenue and that's something I could careless about. I'm not a DC fan in regards to how much the company brings in, I'm a fan because I love the characters and that's what matters to me the most.

I believe the only DC movies (in general) I didn't like were Green Lantern and Suicide Squad. I liked Justice League, MOS, WW, Superman Returns, BVS..and I think that's all of the DC movies? Lol..but yeah, anyways I'll stay with DC until the end.:D

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously. Just because you like something more than something else doesn't mean you can't be a fan of the thing you like less. If that were the case I wouldn't be able to like the MCU because its not nearly as good as LOTR in my opinion.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deltahuman

Only MCU movies I've absolutely loved so far are Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. DCEU movies I've loved so far are Man of Steel and BvS UC. So I don't think Marvel is that great in terms of script. They have a more successful shared universe, huge revenues and I absolutely admire the commitment, professionalism, the care they have shown towards the fans. Marvel Studios is unarguably a much better, well planned, well administered and well put together studio. But I haven't found anything special in their movies so far. Their scripts are mostly please all and offend none types. So I surely give credit where it's due and it's possible for me to like specific qualities from both shared universes.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byrd42 said:

Only an idiot would think that the DCCU is better than the MCU. They have only had one outstanding movie (Wonder Woman) and that was the only one that managed to capture any of the magical feel of marvel movies.

This sounds idiotic

As for the OP, of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Magian

Of course you can be. Liking something doesn't mean that you don't see its flaws. Plus as others mentioned it's not like all the MCU movies have been exactly masterpieces.

Old_Blighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it isn't possible to be a DCCU fan.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By adamTRMM

MCU management and structure is near god level. DCEU have to learn THAT exact lesson, not try and copy their style, because as JL and SS suggested, it wouldn't work either.

The youngsters may not remember, but before DCEU, there were lots of leaks and rumors about MCU as well. That was also before the horde of Marvel Zombies took over the internet. There were times when you could find multiple articles about how many actors find their time with MCU an unpleasant/anti creative experience, how some directors wouldn't even want to work with them for the same reasons, some would even get fired and the usual suspects would scream "DOOM! DEMISE! DEATH", there was also that noble, central lead that would fight the greedy power of the Evil Execs to get his less influential colleagues a fitting paycheck. Now, such leaks and mishappenings are a nonexistence in the well oiled engine of Marvel Studios. And this kind of management and public relations unit that can prevent and course correct the unpleasant rumors and leaks, that may save the DCEU if they want to not be badmouthed into obscurity, and that's why they were picked as the new media-victim of the nerd press, because their mismanagement and lack of confidence made them the perfect target of such publications.

But I don't care at this point, I was mainly interested in the Snyderverse aspect of it I guess.

ErickAgl17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ErickAgl17

@speedforceuser_ said:

I'm a DC fan and I'm proud. Marvel movies just don't captivate me...they just don't. Alot of MCU fanboys love Marvel because they have high revenue and that's something I could careless about. I'm not a DC fan in regards to how much the company brings in, I'm a fan because I love the characters and that's what matters to me the most.

I believe the only DC movies (in general) I didn't like were Green Lantern and Suicide Squad. I liked Justice League, MOS, WW, Superman Returns, BVS..and I think that's all of the DC movies? Lol..but yeah, anyways I'll stay with DC until the end.:D

So you are a DC Fanboy and you are proud..But you hate MCU fanboys?

On topic...Im more of an Anime guy, so i can be pretty fair when comparing both..My favorite ones AS MOVIES from DCEU Is Man of steel and Wonder Woman..

Man of steel is great because its a new take on the character, we have good action scenes unlike any other superman movie before it, we get a peak at Krypton and see what Jor-El went trough, the soundtrack is badass, it has the right amount of easter eggs..Wonder Woman is great because it explores many aspects of war (And i love World War 1 & 2 movies in general), and the WW/Steve Trevor relationship doesn't get annoying, and the way they tell the story as a flashback is actually pretty cool and original, you learn how she started as Naive and Innocent, but ends up being Mature and Assertive But remaining hopeful.. But the biggest reason both of this movies are good, is because they actually care about telling the story about their characters, more than rushing a Cinematic Universe for Money...Im not even going to mention JL/SS/BvS ...JL is decent but SS is meh, BvS is bad writing and plot devices at its finest, and it only exists as a mean to rush JL, Batman and Doomsday being badass are the only good things in that movie for me.

Marvel movies on the other hand you have more to choose from, Winter Soldier and GotG 2 are my favorite..Winter Soldier feels like a Bourne type of Movie more than a Superhero movie for me, which makes it feel a little darker, on a character like Captain America, who is a boyscout like superman , i find it really cool when they show you the badass things this "Boyscouts" can do....GotG2 is great because its actually pretty dark and light and the same time..Yondu is in a Space Robot Brothel..He gets shot in the head..his men get brutally killed by getting thrown into space, he kills all his remaining ravager crew with his arrow then he dies sacrificing for his sins, the Guardians kill Starlord's father by exploding his brain, because the dude wanted to BE the whole universe, and he actually managed to suck some people (and a DQ) into his goo thing...Bad movies from MCU: I hate Ironman 2, and 3...Ironman 2 is the same as BvS they just try to rush the next superhero team-up and dont care about the movie itself, Ironman 3 has a pointless plot twist, and is full of plotholes, Thor 2 is lame..I actually dont like Civil war, its also full of plot holes and feels like a dumb superhero rumble more than an actual "War" as in the comics, Black panther and Spiderman saved this movie for me.

Both universes have good and bad movies, and im sorry for the DC Movie Market but the Marvel Cinematic Universe is definitely better built as a whole than the DCEU, and they made the Smartest moves, in both their movie roster and the tone of their movies WHY? Short Awnser: The Characters/Plot/Main Villian are better developed, and the tone of the movie makes it OK for anyone

Long Awnser:

1.- They took the risk first, of making a big Universe with many comic book characters in it, WITHOUT most of Marvel´s A list Characters (Thor and Cap weren't that popular, while Spiderman and Wolverine where ruling at the time)

2.-They made 4-5 Movies for the Main Heroes (Hulk, Thor, Cap, Ironman) Developing their stories up to a certain point, While introducing the plot of the story at the same time

3.- Their final Product (The Avengers movie) was ready, properly using the plots from the last movies to make this one, while at the same time, using the plot in this movie to make the next 7+years of movies

Marvel knows how to build hype, they know how to tell a story for the most part, but most importantly, THEY HAVE PATIENCE, but they are NOT slow...DCEU rushed all the movies in less than 5 years and most of them are hated by most people (except for WW) and only DC Fans like their movies. The MCU has become a trend because they made it that way, the made the stories of the movies understandable by the standard public, and at the same time likeable enough for fans (with a few exceptions) they took B-C list characters (GotG) and made a Great Space movie that families LOVE ..DCEU can barely hold up while having Best and most known superhero in the world (Superman). BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW HOW TO USE HIM.

Most DC characters are Pure gold.. but DCEU is trash because they dont know how to use this characters in order for non comic book readers to like them. Everyone knows Thanos is somewhat a Copy of Darkseid, but kids will not know that and they wont give a damn because Thanos is a bad ass in the movies with 10+ years of development behind his ass kicking....and Darkseid..well "he is the Copy of MCU Thanos that has cool action scenes fighting Over Powered dull superman, and his little sidekicks: the Justice weakerthansuperman league".

IN CONCLUSSION: The DC characters are great, and have amazing potential for a pretty good Movie Universe, But the MCU is (has always been) a step ahead of the DCEU and is undoubtedly better in many ways, A DC FAN would definetly admit this, and accept it, but a Dc FANBOY is obviously not going to accept it, because he is blinded by the love for the characters and has no objective view on good or bad movie development, he only sees these as "movies with the characters I like" AND "movies with the characters I dont like".

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BullPR

I like beef.

I like chicken.

I like Marvel.

I like DC.

I love the Red Sox.

I hate the Yankees.

CBM is not a sport.

Team Marvel doesn't have to lose for Team DC to win.

Team DC doesn't have to lose for Team Marvel to win.

I still don't understand the reason behind this pseudo fight.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares what comic company you like

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.But seriously WB has to stopped messing with directors movie.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 anthp2000  Moderator

No.

There's a war coming.

By the end of 2018.

There will be nothing left.

Honestly though? I am a DCEU fan, and I'm also an MCU fan. Objectively, the MCU has done massively better, and I'm not talking rotten tomatoes and other BS. Real stuff.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Aros001

You can be a fan of anything and still admit it has flaws. In fact, sometimes it's worse if you refuse to acknowledge that what you like isn't perfect. It'll either never try to fix those flaws or it'll seem like your reasons for liking something are very shallow.

I'm a big Batman fan but I still get annoyed by all the Bat-God worshipers online because it seems like they ONLY like Batman because they think he's perfect and can beat anyone and that if he wasn't perfect they would abandon his fanbase.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24 JediXMan  Moderator

It's called being objective.

GodSaveMeNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I would think so, mainly because I enjoyed both DCEU and MCU movies.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

MajorSour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

Who cares what comic company you like

Its not a comic company. Its movie studio's productions - Specifically DCEU and MCU fanbase.

The OP was just asking whether you can be a fan of the DCEU franchise (NOT DC itself) but still think of it as inferior to MCU franchise (NOT Marvel itself).

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, you can easily be a fan of both, just more of an MCU fan.

Alternatively, you can personally prefer the DCEU on account of character/style bias (something which perhaps contrary to popular belief is completely fine to have when classifying entertainment), but recognize objectively superior successes of the MCU.

You can like both, or like either one better, and have a completely valid argument. That's how subjective media works.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Yes it's possible. It's called nuance.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Darker movies than lighter movies

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I mean... after BvS and JL it's hard not to.

@jedixman said:

It's called being objective.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Ugh, nerds... >_>

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mrmonster

Yes. Why is it that you have be an MCU fan or a DCEU fan? Why can't you be both?

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No you must hate one company. Its how comicvine works

MajorSour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Why is it that you have be an MCU fan or a DCEU fan? Why can't you be both?

Then why are there threads where DCEU fans are always saying that MCU is worse than DCEU or MCU fans are always saying DCEU is worse than MCU?

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It is possible. It's hard to really root for team DCEU in many regards in my personal experience but I still do. MCU is also vastly better

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Yup. I do watch both.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster said:

Then why are there threads where DCEU fans are always saying that MCU is worse than DCEU or MCU fans are always saying DCEU is worse than MCU?

Okay...I think it's more than possible to be a fan of two things but be willing to admit that one is better than the other. I'm a fan of both Star Wars and Avatar, but that doesn't mean I cannot say that Star Wars is the superior of the two.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Of course it is. Liking the DCEU doesn't automatically mean you dislike the MCU.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I'm one of them.

The writing in Man of Steel was the greatest DCEU had. The villain (Zod) had a plan and was far from one-dimensional, you could understand why he was doing what he was doing, and some would probably do the same given the circumstances, but the moral conflict for some would be to big a burden to bear. This shows his great conviction and pride that no matter the cost he will *try* to achieve his goal to see his species continue.

Everything after that is just meh to me, plot wise, anyway. MCU has some good internal and opposing conflict throughout all films and I do enjoy it.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. Tbh the MCU has the DCEU beat in most aspects.

DCEU not doin too hot

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dear lord...

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Heist

I think the problem with the DCEU is that there trying so hard to compete with the MCU when they should just carve out there own lane. DC is often known for grittier films, and I think sometimes fans expect the films to mirror that of the MCU when the DCEU should just do it's own thing, and not necessarily take the route that the MCU has taken. Just because MCU's approach to there films works for them doesn't mean the DCEU should take the same approach or want to, bottom line the DCEU needs to do there own thing.

Side note: Am I the only one who thought Justice League was a fairly enjoyable film?