#1 Posted by BlitzSikes (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Luke cage's Durability inconsistent or it a shotgun blast stronger than an Iron fist punch? Both hit him in the jar area but I don't understand how a shotgun blast that didn't send Luke flying is stronger than a punch that sent him flying and caused a shockwave.

Is that just major inconsistency?

#2 Edited by RBT (27761 posts) - - Show Bio

The shotgun thing was a major low showing, IMO. Luke has taken far more powerful strikes than a Remington shot and has kept on going since then. Even though Jess aimed the barrel at his chin, I don't think it really makes that much of a difference considering Luke has survived omnidirectional damage as well.

#3 Posted by Noone1996 (11664 posts) - - Show Bio

I think even in Luke's handbook entries it says he can only withstand certain gun fire from specific distances, so maybe since it was a point blank shotgun blast that's why it was so successful? That's the only sense I can make of it. Honestly pretty inconsistent.

#4 Posted by webinyoureye11 (5697 posts) - - Show Bio

Impact force

the less something moves after impact, the more force said object absorbs.

Think of punching a wood board. even if you could break it with a punch, hitting a board without someone holding it in place would just send the board flying. But keep it in place and you can break it in 2

Then again, it’s fiction, and characters are as powerful as the plot demands

#5 Posted by rogueshadow (29252 posts) - - Show Bio

If he can shrug off an Iron Fist with a shockwave that ragdolled him through the air (a 2.5 ton car moving at high speeds doesn't even budge the guy) and being in the centre of an explosion that wrecked his whole bar and ragdolled Jessica from twenty feet away, logically I don't think a shotgun blast shouldn't be doing much, even at that range.

It's either just PIS (i.e. Jessica and her 2x4) since they just needed some way for Jessica to drop him or writers think of the dispersed fragmented nature of the shotgun shell as being different to the raw blunt force of a punch, even if the punch is far more powerful overall. Or a combination of the two.

Regardless it shouldn't be used as brought up as proof X character can beat him when it clearly isn't representative of how he deals with actual punches and blunt force.

#6 Edited by Letyke (291 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not really inconsistent, it's just that they buffed Luke a lot after JJ S1.

#7 Posted by bump1010 (1043 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the shotgun has more to do with where it him as opposed to how hard he hit him. If iron fist hit Luke there it would have messed him up.

#8 Posted by mrmonster (15124 posts) - - Show Bio

No, realistically, a chi punch should be much stronger than a shotgun blast.

There is no way a shotgun blast would make a brick wall shatter into rubble, or take the backdoor off a semitruck. I have two theories on why Luke was able to take a chi punch.

1. Danny wasn't going at full power. Maybe he was purposefully trying to just knock out Luke Cage and knew at full power he'd be dead.
  2. Lazy writing (it's a valid possibility)
#9 Posted by rogueshadow (29252 posts) - - Show Bio

No, realistically, a chi punch should be much stronger than a shotgun blast.

There is no way a shotgun blast would make a brick wall shatter into rubble, or take the backdoor off a semitruck. I have two theories on why Luke was able to take a chi punch.

1. Danny wasn't going at full power. Maybe he was purposefully trying to just knock out Luke Cage and knew at full power he'd be dead.
  2. Lazy writing (it's a valid possibility)

He definitely wasn't, when he does it blows out windows all around and ragdolls stuff in the environment, he's never hit anybody as hard as he hit the penthouse in his first season, but it's still visibly more powerful than a shotgun blast based on the shockwave and that it ragdolled Luke 20 feet away.

#10 Posted by Champion99 (1727 posts) - - Show Bio

Yall really need to stop trying to make sense of that shot gun blast. It happened in JJ show which is when Luke was at his weakest by far. The plot required Jessica to stop him so that's what she did. That shit should have went out the window as soon as Luke tanked an explosion in his own show. A regular shot gun blast will never phase him again.

#11 Posted by RukelnikovFTW (6132 posts) - - Show Bio

JJ is the less consistent of Netflix shows (even less consistent than defenders), don't try to make sense of it.